Site Sponsors
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: The great tripod & head thread!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The great tripod & head thread!

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Dave,

I suspect that the tripod/head chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Cutting corners on the tripod won't be cured by putting a Cube on top. I think the legs are more important than the head.

Steve
    Yes, I totally agree!

What I am asking is which tripods would fit in the system that includes a substantial sized MF camera and potential lenses + the C1 Cube... hopefully there are several, and hopefully under a grand. Maybe not, but I would like to hear if any recommendations whatever the price may be.
    Best regards,
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave.gt View Post
    This weekend, I spent some time and re-read this entire informative thread and I have learned a lot! Yet, I have this nagging feeling that the elephant has been ignored... what are the best choices for an affordable tripod to match with the Cube?

The Cube is very expensive, so in order to keep the hemorrhaging under control, surely there is a good match for the Cube and H5D that is less than $1k.
    I wouldn't recommend anything less sturdy than the series 3 Gitzo tripods. RRS has an equivalent and these tripods are all tight to $1k. Its the price you have to pay for stability. The Manfroto's are less but are heavier and weight is a big issue with me. I'm sure others will chime in.......

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

This weekend, I spent some time and re-read this entire informative thread and I have learned a lot! Yet, I have this nagging feeling that the elephant has been ignored... what are the best choices for an affordable tripod to match with the Cube?

The Cube is very expensive, so in order to keep the hemorrhaging under control, surely there is a good match for the Cube and H5D that is less than $1k.
    Well, you do realize that you're in Dante's forum...

Seriously, though, for US $1000 (plus or minus) one can purchase either a 2- or 3-series carbon fiber tripod from Really Right Stuff. Not exactly inexpensive but the quality is outstanding and within the limit you defined. I use my Cube on a 3-series aluminum Gitzo and a RRS TVC-24 when out in the field, and am happy with the stability of both when using longer focal lengths up to 250mm w/MFDB. I'm sure there are other and less expensive alternatives that will do the job just fine as well and as always, YMMV.

John

Addendum to my previous post re: D4+leveling base+RRS 2-series tripod (#242): the leveling base for the 2-series RRS tripod extends above the tripod base by about the same height as a center column that's fully retracted, which I think makes the setup less effective in dampening vibrations and contributed to the issues I mentioned previously. We could see the net effect by tapping on the camera while in live view; it took quite a bit of time for the gyrations to cease. By contrast, with the Cube+2-series the oscillations were noticeably smaller and dissipated much more rapidly. The platform of the RRS 3-series leveling base sits much closer to the tripod base, an arrangement that I'm guessing is more stable but haven't tried this myself.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Dave,

I suspect that the tripod/head chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Cutting corners on the tripod won't be cured by putting a Cube on top. I think the legs are more important than the head.

Steve
    Dave,

Steve is right and expressed it succinctly. One way to save a little on the tripod is to look for a "gently used" one on the forums. As photographers downsize their kits, retire, change subjects, etc., they often sell tripods. GetDPI, Fred Miranda, and Luminous Landscape are good places to start. For me, eBay is a last resort. I'd also recommend a Gitzo 3-series or the RRS equivalent.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Dave,

Steve is right and expressed it succinctly. One way to save a little on the tripod is to look for a "gently used" one on the forums. As photographers downsize their kits, retire, change subjects, etc., they often sell tripods. GetDPI, Fred Miranda, and Luminous Landscape are good places to start. For me, eBay is a last resort. I'd also recommend a Gitzo 3-series or the RRS equivalent.

Joe
    Speaking of that, I have a Gitzo GT3541XLS gathering dust. Dave, PM me if that is of interest to you.

Dave
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    Speaking of that, I have a Gitzo GT3541XLS gathering dust. Dave, PM me if that is of interest to you.

Dave
    Thanks, Dave, sent you a PM!
    Best regards,
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I find the gitzo 3 series to heavy and not showing any real benefit except in some very rare situations. I currently own 6 gitzo and 2 Feisol tripods.

I wound recommend a series 2 gitzo as it saves at least 500g and is stable enough.

In the US RRS might be a cheaper options. In Europe it's just a waste of Money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post

Dave
    Thanks, Dave, sent you a PM!
    That's why this place is a great forum for photographers. Hope you two Daves find a deal in there somewhere.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's why this place is a great forum for photographers. Hope you two Daves find a deal in there somewhere.

Joe
    Thanks, Joe, for the short time I have been on the MF forum, I gotta say that this is a great little community! I wish I lived in a small town that was this helpful!
    Best regards,
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    I wouldn't recommend anything less sturdy than the series 3 Gitzo tripods. RRS has an equivalent and these tripods are all tight to $1k. Its the price you have to pay for stability. The Manfroto's are less but are heavier and weight is a big issue with me. I'm sure others will chime in.......

Victor
    Hi, Victor,

I have been studying the Cube and three series Gitzo tripods, and I am convinced you have saved me a lot of time and trial by error! Coming from a Leica and a Hasselblad film camera background, I know where you are coming from with manual lenses. The fact that I may also use manual lenses on the new-to-me H5D is reason enough to move up to the 3 series.

I am kind of intrigued with the extraordinary height available as well since I will be shooting Portraits and landscapes.

So, the tripod choice is set... now I need a couple of paying gigs while I study the Cube some more!!!
    Best regards,
    Dave (GT)
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    The tripod is the major contributor of instability. The P0 on my series 3 tripod is much more stable albeit not as stable as the Cube. I no longer have the series 2 Traveler as it has been returned. My 3 section series 1 tripod is very similar stability wise to the series 2 Traveler and does not benefit from the additional mass of the Cube. I use the 180mm a lot for landscapes and this is where stability issues really show up. I'm usually trying to focus on something that may be 1000 or more feet away and at that distance nothing can move.

Victor
    So glad I have decided to stick with my cube and RRS 33TVL. I was thinking I could get away with something lesser for tech cam use, but the last thing I want is to travel thousands of miles, drive hundreds of miles and then wish I had a sturdier setup due to wind or whatever. Thanks.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Using RRS legs, the TVC 3 series is a better match for the Cube. The TVC 2 series is easier to travel with but with the Cube is top heavy. I opted for the KPS T5 geared ball head on the RRS TVC 24. Overall prefer the RRS TVC 33 and Cube with the heavy XF or Cambo.

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Using RRS legs, the TVC 3 series is a better match for the Cube. The TVC 2 series is easier to travel with but with the Cube is top heavy. I opted for the KPS T5 geared ball head on the RRS TVC 24. Overall prefer the RRS TVC 33 and Cube with the heavy XF or Cambo.

ken
    Thanks, Ken, that is a good thumbnail summary for me.
    Best regards,
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, that was quick! I am settled on the tripod ... now, the Cube. No way is that reachable for the rest of this year. Maybe next, grrrr.

This summer I have six photo shoots for outdoor portraits to do. What tripod head to use is my next problem to solve. The RRS BH55, who is using it and how well would it perform for portraits in the field? I am not concerned with weight as there is no extended hiking involved in my venues. I am, however, confused with the few options available, i.e.: lever, classic screw, panning.
    Best regards,
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like

Like others on this forum, a bit too much gear but maybe some observations - slightly different from others. To put this in context, I don't shoot a lot in heavy wind, but do get out and about.

Typically use a BH40 ball head or a Linhof 3D for mounts, and a Gitzo 2541 close to home and a smaller Gitzo 1248 for traveling. The 1248 is usually fine, with some care, but at full extension and the BH40, it is not good enough for a 150mm lens in wind. In a pinch, use the larger legs only (w less height).

But there is more than just tripod legs in the equation. A longer view camera lens (120mm) and finger release of a Copal shutter surprisingly led to blurred shots even with the larger tripod. Changed from the ball head to the 3D mount, used a cable release and a softer touchand the problem went away.

Tried one of those smaller lightweight carbon fiber tripods with a small built-in ball head and found it wasn't much use under 1/30. On the other hand, one day in the jungles of Ecuador, had to borrow an older Gitzo monopod - the one with 3 small legs extending about 6" in each direction - and got sharp 5 sec exposures in still air by using only 3' high, MLU, 8 second shutter delay, and a very soft touch.

From this perspective, then, stable mounting for the camera and a soft shutter touc is more important than the size of the tripod leg. A heavy bag hanging from the tripod helps too.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been testing the p0 Hybrid for my uses with tabletop and light duty field uses.

On my light Manfrotto CF090 series legs, I find it does a fine job even with the big SL90-280 lens for the tabletop work: There's very little residual vibration when tapping the tripod, focus and exposure are easy. Outdoors, there's a bit of motion in light wind that I can damp down with a camera bag's weight and I'd say the use is "acceptable" if not brilliant.

On my larger Feisol CT3442 legs, fitted with the center column but not extended, performance is excellent for both indoor and outdoor shooting. Of course, when I switch out the column for the flat plate, it gets even better. Light wind doesn't bother the setup at all; add a bit of weight if the wind goes to 'heavy' and it stays good.

Overall, just the head alone:
    The detents in the geared adjustment I don't find troublesome. They are there but they don't hurt positioning precision or stability that I can tell. The much heavier detents in the panning adjustment are a bit more of a nuisance: making fine adjustments when you get into the range of the detent is more difficult than it should be. It wouldn't be so annoying if the detent was about a third the strength. They make smooth, dynamic panorama captures with something like the iPhone impossible, however.

I'm waiting to hear further from Rod about a modification that will remove or greatly lessen the strength of the panning detents.

Comparing the level adjustment with the SL's built-in viewfinder level ... The head's bubble level is well within the built-in level's range. When I turn the adjustments, the built-in level's plus/minus point is about 1.8į, evenly in the middle of the adjustment range. So this works well, up to its resolution. I find using a two-tube bubble level, or a large circular bubble level, mounted in the camera's accessory shoe is the more accurate, higher resolution way to ensure a perfect level however. The goniometer adjustments make it very easy to set a perfectly level camera position this way.

For use with the SL24-90 and my remaining R lenses, I'll want to use either my general purpose L-bracket or a dedicated L-mount camera plate for the SL. The latter is much more convenient

I also tested the head briefly with my Hasselblad SWC and 500CM too (using film). Given the range of lenses I have (38 to 150 mm), it worked very nicely. I can't imagine that it has any negatives for use with this camera system, presuming I use the mirror lockup on the 500CM as I normally do for longer exposures.

The QuickLink head mount is quick, secure, and handy. It adds another small bit of height to the top of the tripod column (estimating about 10mm) and about 3 ounces more to the weight of the tripod head setup.

Overall, I'm happy with the p0 Hybrid and QuickLink head mounting system for my purposes. I think it will be improved with the lighter/no detents modification on the panorama movement, even if that does slow down setup and use a bit.

G
    Last edited by Godfrey; 20th June 2017 at 23:53.
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

Well, that was quick! I am settled on the tripod ... now, the Cube. No way is that reachable for the rest of this year. Maybe next, grrrr.

This summer I have six photo shoots for outdoor portraits to do. What tripod head to use is my next problem to solve. The RRS BH55, who is using it and how well would it perform for portraits in the field? I am not concerned with weight as there is no extended hiking involved in my venues. I am, however, confused with the few options available, i.e.: lever, classic screw, panning.
    Out of the RRS lineup, the BH-55 is the best matched to 3-series legs, assuming this is what you went with. It's rock solid, easy to operate and essentially bomb-proof. Since portability isn't an issue for you, I wouldn't go with anything smaller.

Lever vs screw clamp: a matter of personal preference. I prefer the lever clamp, mainly because I caught myself once too often unscrewing the clamp when I thought I was adjusting the head! Some non-RRS plates (e.g., those made by Arca-Swiss) may not mate 100% snug with the lever clamps, although the newer ones are self-adjusting which seems to have fixed this. This issue is moot if you're using a RRS camera plate or go with the screw clamp, whose tightness is essentially infinitely adjustable.

Panning base: you may not miss it if you're shooting portraits. One benefit, however, is that once you set the platform level you can pan side-to-side without having to re-level the whole contraption, which frankly is a pain with a ball head. Or save yourself the extra 150 bucks and put it in your Cube fund.

John

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I sent my p0 Hybrid to Rod in order to have the panning base detents removed. It returned last week (he turned it around in four-five days) but I've just now had a bit of time to put it to use.

Disabling the panning detents was the right thing to do, for me anyway. It now works superbly for my shooting methodology, allowing me ultra-precise positioning as well as quick 'rough in' and can handle dynamic pan operations without a hitch. The only additional thing I need to do when starting a setup is to orient the panning base with the one of the leveler axes first so that they are working orthogonal to each other.

I like this head a whole lot, the levelers take the frustration out of trying to do precise framing with a ball head. It handles my heaviest setup (Leica SL with SL90-280) with ease.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

I have an e-mail from Alpa in my inbox offering a special on their tripod and cube system. It looks a lot like the Area cube in form and function. Their tripod is very modular, and looks great. It is a good deal for everything in the package, relative to Alpa prices.
    Has anyone seen or used the Alpa tripod?

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothjazz View Post
    I have an e-mail from Alpa in my inbox offering a special on their tripod and cube system. It looks a lot like the Area cube in form and function. Their tripod is very modular, and looks great. It is a good deal for everything in the package, relative to Alpa prices.
    Has anyone seen or used the Alpa tripod?
    I have it. I posted what I thought about it after a few weeks back here: https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-...tml#post729023

It's essentially a Novoflex system. The interchangeable legs & tilt base work well but the dual goniometer heads make it top heavy when both fitted. TBH I don't use it much these days because there's no friction on the leveling base and so it makes it annoying to use in the field sometimes (I'll loosen the level to slightly adjust and the entire heavy top wants to tip). It works better when you only use one of the goniometers.

Would I buy it again? Probably not. It's a beautifully made and elegant design but suffers somewhat from form over function. As said though, the legs / base can be combined with a different, less dense, head for a better combination IMHO.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know. Do you think the legs are better in any way than the legs on a Gitzo 3 series tripod?

anyUOTE=GrahamWelland;745310]I have it. I posted what I thought about it after a few weeks back here: https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-...tml#post729023

It's essentially a Novoflex system. The interchangeable legs & tilt base work well but the dual goniometer heads make it top heavy when both fitted. TBH I don't use it much these days because there's no friction on the leveling base and so it makes it annoying to use in the field sometimes (I'll loosen the level to slightly adjust and the entire heavy top wants to tip). It works better when you only use one of the goniometers.

Would I buy it again? Probably not. It's a beautifully made and elegant design but suffers somewhat from form over function. As said though, the legs / base can be combined with a different, less dense, head for a better combination IMHO.[/QUOTE]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Alpa does have good legs that can be removed from the base for packing into a smaller package than a Gitzo 3 series. I like the markings on the legs which make it easy to set the height consistently and also they come with both spikes and rubber pads plus also the short legs for a table top set up.

It's a good travel tripod. It's just the stacked height of goniometers and panning head that make it less than ideal by being top heavy.

https://www.novoflexus.com/products/...-trioa2830.htm
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 2nd December 2017 at 16:57.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was wondering if anyone has seen or tried this Gitzo Series 5 Systematic ball head yet.

https://www.manfrotto.us/gitzo-syste...lease-series-5

I have a Gitzo Series 5 alloy tripod on it's way to Alaska and so I have been thinking about which heavy duty head to mount on it.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Just for fun, playing around with the Alpa Gon

Alpa FPS ē MAX ē TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 ē Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Apologies for not being directly MFD related but perhaps there is some crossover... I haven't needed the precise movements of Cube devices (and I question why anyone would for most normal photo situations especially when we know we're editing?).

First a couple of details of the RRS tripods that get overlooked, their excellent spikes and the clever way you can hide their multi-driver tool in the column. These kinds of features can sway you pretty quickly.

I've owned the RRS 24L with BH40L and 34L with BH55L and both were superb, although after a time I realized that I was babying them to a fault. When the tripods get so expensive you're less apt to stick them into the nastiest brack and gunk... and if you've ever driven away from a tripod (and in my case luckily returned to claim it) you might start to think of the "burden" of ownership.

Plus I was paranoid of scratching or nicking the CF and creating a weak spot... I'd put the CF legs into a bag within my travel bag so light stands and such wouldn't ding it. I started to miss the old Aluminum workhorse Gitzos that never complained about being tossed across the room and roughhoused by airlines. But when I went shopping I saw that Gitzo's US distributor stopped carrying the full line of aluminum Gitzos... I eventually found this middling #2 tall four-section metal Gitzo in England. It cost about $450 and has the modern Gitzo features, good build quality, and paired with a RRS BH40L it's nicely balanced kit. Extends a bit over my 6' and holds my current gear, heaviest being a 300/2.8 lens.

Yes the CF is damp but in the real world is it that important? In my experience the wind sail area of the camera is what messes things up more than the legs transmitting any tuning fork giggles.

Anyway dropping down to legs and column for 1/3 the price of the RRS kit was liberating to me at least. But I’m not backpacking or overly concerned about saving the last pound either.

I also have the old #5 Giantluxe just in case, old shot with Infrared in the Rollei back when I did architectural stuff with film, before restrictive airline weight limits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130710_FP11727_cameras.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	437.0 KB 
ID:	131437   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130710_FP11731_cameras.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	407.9 KB 
ID:	131438   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frank_10282002_00007.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	971.0 KB 
ID:	131439   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crown_gitzo_09252013_018.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	216.2 KB 
ID:	131440  
    Last edited by Frankly; 3rd January 2018 at 21:07.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frankly View Post
    ....I started to miss the old Aluminum workhorse Gitzos that never complained about being tossed across the room and roughhoused by airlines. But when I went shopping I saw that Gitzo's US distributor stopped carrying the full line of aluminum Gitzos... I eventually found this middling #2 tall four-section metal Gitzo in England. It cost about $450 and has the modern Gitzo features, good build quality, and paired with a RRS BH40L it's nicely balanced kit. Extends a bit over my 6' and holds my current gear, heaviest being a 300/2.8 lens.

<snip>

Anyway dropping down to legs and column for 1/3 the price of the RRS kit was liberating to me at least. But I’m not backpacking or overly concerned about saving the last pound either.

I also have the old #5 Giantluxe just in case, old shot with Infrared in the Rollei back when I did architectural stuff with film, before restrictive airline weight limits.
    Hi Frankly,

That is an impressive Gitzo giant! I have never seen one set up and in use that is so tall.

I really like the Gitzo alloy tripods too. The hammertone type finish on them is beautiful. I recently picked up a late model Series 5 Tele Studex Compact Performance (Mk2) in mint condition to add to my small collection. I bought my first Gitzo alloy tripod about 25 years ago (a Reporter Compact Performance Mk2).

I did not know that Gitzo still made and sold the alloy tripods outside of the USA. I've certainly never seen a Gitzo alloy tripod that looks like the one in your last picture. I'm curious to know the model number/name, where you got it and how long ago that was.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post

I did not know that Gitzo still made and sold the alloy tripods outside of the USA. I've certainly never seen a Gitzo alloy tripod that looks like the one in your last picture. I'm curious to know the model number/name, where you got it and how long ago that was.
    That's the thing, they do not. I am sure they rather sell you a higher margin CF leg set.

Plus the US Gitzo distributor is atrocious for service and parts, I don't like giving them any business.

I found this one from the Gitzo European website then did a search for EU retailers. I believe this model is no longer made but perhaps there is something similar? And I long ago gave up with the Gitzo naming conventions, it just got too complicated.

Honestly for the same or less money you can probably find a very good Chinese CF tripod. And if that is unappealing then by all means buy a domestic RRS.

I used to use the tallest four-section #3 series (~18" leg sections) with the earlier Arca B1 throughout the 80s-90s as a do everything commercial photo tripod, it would easily hold a Technika or heavy medium format or telephoto rig. If I had stopped right there and kept it forever I'd still be fine, the head would lock up every year or two but I learned how to fix it.

For architecture they made a five section #5 leg set that people called the Giant Luxe... I forget the specs but 110" sticks in my mind, probably taller with the column. For something like my old Sinar Norma in 4x5 the column was thick enough to hold it quite steady. The best one I had used a geared Majestic head because the old Gitzo #5 low profile heads were good for Deardorffs and other flatbed 8x10s but not much else.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=bensonga;747778]Hi Frankly,

I'm curious to know the model number/name, where you got it and how long ago that was.

Gary

Probably a G505 from the 80s/90s, I owned one back then!

john
    used to be chiaroscuro_NZ
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

There was a later version as well, G1504 MkII. I use it for arch exteriors, sometimes with the XL column GS5511XLS which together can get the camera ~15' high! Very handy for locations where a lift isn't practical. It needs some ballast when using the last leg section, but very stable then. The XL column is subject to swaying in the wind.

Name:  G1504.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  218.4 KB

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the older G505 with a geared center column and the newer 1505 Mk2 with the rapid column, both of which are the 5 series alloy tripods (I believe these models were also called the Tele Studex Compact Performance). I also have 1 and 3 series Gitzo alloy tripods, 2 Gitzo carbon fiber, 1 Gitzo Basalt, several Induro CF, 2 Ries, a Berlebach, a couple of big alloy Bogen tripods etc. In total, I have about 14 tripods now. Yes, it has become somewhat of an obsession. And then there are the tripod heads....

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

For those looking at it, my p0 hybrid has had to go back to my dealer. The amount of give in the knobs is unacceptable after a few months. They are quite loose and have been returned with the same issue. The GP on the cube is the same mechanism that used for all movements on the p0 hybrid.

Back to the D4 until things are sorted out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alaarx View Post
    For those looking at it, my p0 hybrid has had to go back to my dealer. The amount of give in the knobs is unacceptable after a few months. They are quite loose and have been returned with the same issue. The GP on the cube is the same mechanism that used for all movements on the p0 hybrid.

Back to the D4 until things are sorted out.
    I have a P0 hybrid, but havenít experienced this problem yet. Will keep an eye on it. Neither of my Cubes (one is geared pan, one is not) has shown any slop. Maybe the GP use in the Cube is less stressed than the various movements in the P0?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    There was a later version as well, G1504 MkII. I use it for arch exteriors, sometimes with the XL column GS5511XLS which together can get the camera ~15' high! Very handy for locations where a lift isn't practical. It needs some ballast when using the last leg section, but very stable then. The XL column is subject to swaying in the wind.

Name:  G1504.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  218.4 KB
    Hi,
    quick question, does this XL columm GS5511XLS fit into a Series 4 Gitzo Systematic as well or ist this only for Series 5 tripods?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenspyder View Post
    I have a P0 hybrid, but havenít experienced this problem yet. Will keep an eye on it. Neither of my Cubes (one is geared pan, one is not) has shown any slop. Maybe the GP use in the Cube is less stressed than the various movements in the P0?
    Thats great to hear. My dealer seems to think it might be a "v1" issue but I hope its isolated.

Definitely a lot more force on the p0 mechanism than the cube, its also possible theres just a bad batch out there since I'm in Australia and the issues I've seen might all be from the same run. Its back with AS now let's see how they handle it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm considering the P0 Hybrid, and now I'm hesitant because of your issue with the loose knobs. It seems like you can't win with a geared head, because they always end up going out of spec, with loose gears, play in the gears, etc, especially the Manfrottos.

I've been looking at the Cube and the geared D4. I saw one review of the geared D4 stating that it slips with an 8 pound 4x5. That doesn't sound too good. Has anyone had any slippage with their geared D4?

Post Thanks / Like

Apologies for the pic quality, but wanted to share that I got my GP Cube back today with the RRS clamp to replace the AS QR clamp. I found the AS clamp difficult to use, especially in cold conditions. The RRS clamp is so much easier, and I have never found any of them less than reliable:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_25d0.jpg 
Size:	459.2 KB 
ID:	131649Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0939.jpg 
Size:	222.1 KB 
ID:	131650
    P.S. I might still prefer to use the big Cambo on the basic RRS Leveling Base. Though quite sturdy, it feels tall sitting on top of the Cube.
    Last edited by drunkenspyder; 12th January 2018 at 17:12.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phase V View Post
    Hi,
    quick question, does this XL columm GS5511XLS fit into a Series 4 Gitzo Systematic as well or ist this only for Series 5 tripods?
    I'm not him but there were very few #4 series tripods, I used to have a 413 and I think it had the same circular opening as the #5 series. I remember mounting an ancient leveling head onto a #5 that had a column, it was a universal common size.

I think, don't hate me if I'm wrong!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rjp85 View Post
    I'm considering the P0 Hybrid, and now I'm hesitant because of your issue with the loose knobs. It seems like you can't win with a geared head, because they always end up going out of spec, with loose gears, play in the gears, etc, especially the Manfrottos.

I've been looking at the Cube and the geared D4. I saw one review of the geared D4 stating that it slips with an 8 pound 4x5. That doesn't sound too good. Has anyone had any slippage with their geared D4?
    Not sure who had the D4 slippage but in my experience the geared D4 is rock solid with everything Iíve put on it and that includes Phase One XF (aka the boat anchor) with 240LS and other large Phase One LS zooms along with a MFDB. The locking levers lock the head to the gearing and I havenít ever had the geared movement move under load.

Btw, ditto with the Cube. The only issue Iíve ever had with the Cube was due to impact damage caused by baggage handlers to the fine threaded gear rails.

Post Thanks / Like

I had Bob Watkins at Precision Camera Works do this mod on my non-geared Cube and was wondering whether this is possible with the new geared panning version. Thanks.

John

Apologies for the pic quality, but wanted to share that I got my GP Cube back today with the RRS clamp to replace the AS QR clamp. I found the AS clamp difficult to use, especially in cold conditions. The RRS clamp is so much easier, and I have never found any of them less than reliable:

P.S. I might still prefer to use the big Cambo on the basic RRS Leveling Base. Though quite sturdy, it feels tall sitting on top of the Cube.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phase V View Post
    Hi,
    Not sure, but the series 5 clamp diameter is 85mm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Not sure, but the series 5 clamp diameter is 85mm.
    Damn, the diameter of my GT4543 LS is 70mm, guess it wonīt fit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jng View Post
    I had Bob Watkins at Precision Camera Works do this mod on my non-geared Cube and was wondering whether this is possible with the new geared panning version. Thanks.

John
    John, Bob did mine as well. And I just shipped him my non-geared-pan Cube for an RRS clamp. PCW is also where I purchased my P0 Hybrid; when I bought it, I had Bob install an RRS 40mm QR clamp. Works like a charm. And he and his shop are a true pleasure to do business.

Greg.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

PCW is also where I purchased my P0 Hybrid; when I bought it, I had Bob install an RRS 40mm QR clamp. Works like a charm. And he and his shop are a true pleasure to do business.

Greg.
    Greg, did Bob at Precision Camera install the RRS clamp on your p0 Hybrid? I was under the impression (from Arca-Swiss US and Bob at Precision) that the p0 Hybrid couldn't be retrofitted with an RRS lever clamp. I've got the p0 Hybrid with the classic Arca-Swiss screw clamp.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Greg, did Bob at Precision Camera install the RRS clamp on your p0 Hybrid? I was under the impression (from Arca-Swiss US and Bob at Precision) that the p0 Hybrid couldn't be retrofitted with an RRS lever clamp. I've got the p0 Hybrid with the classic Arca-Swiss screw clamp.

Joe
    Sure did. Sorry for the crummy IQ, but wanted to post this quickly.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	501962BF-8712-459A-93D8-0065406875A9.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	825.3 KB 
ID:	131668
    Last edited by drunkenspyder; 14th January 2018 at 09:00.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[IMG][/IMG]
    This is the Arca Swiss Leveller that was ordered as separate item Arca Number; 860102.
    It's the latest version. It took almost 8 months to arrive but is available.

It just takes for bloody ever as once ordered it is placed in line for manufacture.

The Novoflex and Leveller combo is small, holds an xf with 120ls solid (so far ), and is a very fast to setup.

I saw Dave Chew take his apart and boy am I glad I ordered and waited!

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,

You might consider contacting Bob Watkins at Precision Camera Works. Once he's recovered from the shock of what you did to your P0, perhaps he can tell you whether he has the base piece from the Leveller that you're looking to machine yourself, and whether it can simply be bolted onto to your decapitated (tripod) head.

John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonMo View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    This is the Arca Swiss Leveller that was ordered as separate item Arca Number; 860102.
    It's the latest version. It took almost 8 months to arrive but is available.

It just takes for bloody ever as once ordered it is placed in line for manufacture.

The Novoflex and Leveller combo is small, holds an xf with 120ls solid (so far ), and is a very fast to setup.

I saw Dave Chew take his apart and boy am I glad I ordered and waited!
    Haven't heard of this before. I use an RRS leveling bowl and d4. Would this leveler offer anything more than my current setup? Just curious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rjp85 View Post

If there is slippage then it shouldn't however remember what you are speaking of. it is not 8 lbs but the leverage weight which is much higher than 8 lbs when a view camera is extended.
    Rod
    US Representative, Arca-Swiss International
    R-Line Technical Cameras, Large Format View Cameras, Tripod Heads D4, D4m, P1, P0, Z1, Z2, C1 Cube.
    http://www.rodklukas.com/arca-swiss 480-755-3364
    Instagram @arcaswissusa Facebook @arcaswissusa

Post Thanks / Like

Rod,

Is it possible to get the Arca Swiss Leveler here in the US (as JonMo has done), Arca Number; 860102??

Ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If it had been possible i would have gotten it without an attached clamp and used a simple Novoflex Q=Mount.
    I like that its very short. total height of the leveller with clamp is 2 1/2". using the Trio that makes the total 4 1/2" from the hinge point of the legs.

It just feels more stable than the D4 (personal opinion without the use of a lab for evidence).

But I really only use it to get perfect level. It's certainly no ball head. For that I have a P0.

Here they are side by side for size difference and with the xf/120ls for scale.
    I can get the cam level even with a fairly extreme angle to the legs.