The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

Abstraction

I like that quick release plate. You don't seem to have to fuss with it to align it properly.

I still don't like the idea of having to remount the camera though.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Anyone know what the Smart flex L plate weighs?

Interesting product - seems more useful on a monopod (outside a studio). I have no trouble rotating the RRS L bracket on a tripod.

--Matt

algrove

Anyone know what the Smart flex L plate weighs?

Interesting product - seems more useful on a monopod (outside a studio). I have no trouble rotating the RRS L bracket on a tripod.

--Matt
Traveling so no scale but I assume about 8oz-model with A/S built into botton of it.

Very misunderstood tool by many here which has never let me down and perfect at getting outdoor changes from/to portrait/landscape on tripods. Never used it on monopod.

Transposure

Dan,
I have both the small Magic Ball and the large Magic Ball and swear by them. To not be limited by the "drop-in" cutout of a typical head is priceless. The quality is superb. Those Germans!
But I also like the modularity of their system. You can start with a Magic Ball and then add their panorama piece and then the most amazing attachment device I have ever seen, the Q=Base. More on that in a minute...

The Magic Ball comes in three sizes, S, M and L.

I also have their panorama piece as well...it stacks on top of the Magic Ball.

And now, for the icing on the cake. The most incredible device for attaching an Arca Swiss outfitted camera to a tripod head....

It is called the Novoflex Q=Base. This is it...

So, this is how it works...
You rotate the silver base counterclockwise to prepare to cock the base. Once rotated, you press the blue buttons together to cock the system so it is ready for an Arca Swiss plate. Now for the sheer brilliance...
You literally place (drop) your camera on this base and the spring loaded receivers release to grab your plate. All ONE HANDED!! You cannot remove the camera unless you press the blue buttons together. Rotate the silver ring to fully tighten the system and ready to go.

I can't stress enough how much of a game changer this was for me. I own three of them. One on my larger Magic Ball, one on my small Magic Ball and one in my bag at all times for my small sony or just in case.

HIGHLY recommended!!

MGrayson

The Novoflex system looks very interesting, but it's very hard to get information on, for instance, the weights of the components. I have the large Gitzo 3-series and Cube for stability (7.5 lbs), but I would like to have a tripod that I'd actually carry willingly. I can see RRS solutions in the 3.3 lb. and 4.5 lb. ranges, and I can actually go to a store and see how stable they are with the Leica S. But the Novoflex tripods are a mystery.

So, Dan or Ken, do you have any idea what a Triobalance or Triopod setup would weigh and how it compares to similar weight RRS setups? (I know it's hard to say with a modular system, but the more data, the better.)

Thank you,

Matt

Last edited:

Abstraction

No need. The smart flex l plate does the job. https://www.digitalback.com/product/smart-flex-l-plate/
Smart Flex L bracket with camera specific A/S base plate best way to go IMHO.
Yep! That's the thing. I bet it's useful in the field because every time you mount and dismount the camera, you risk dropping, kicking something or whatever other minor accident. Many of the guys have probably flipped the cameras on L plates for years without incident, but I always preferred to mount the camera on the tripod once and dismount after the shoot.

gmfotografie

buy the way i have tested today the gitzo traveller set GT2545T with the GH1382QD in more detail - finally i like it!

the tripod opens and close very fast!
closed, it measures only 44 cm with the ballhead
it is very lightweight including the ballhead - 1,8kg
the ballhead is also very stable and don´t move with my hasselblad and the 250mm lens

for hiking my new friend...but nor for studio or architectural work!
therefore an RSS with the cube will be my choice

i will post pictures soon

vjbelle

I just began using a P0 with my XF and can't say enough nice things about it. The combination of the bubble level and ring on the P0 makes for one of the smoothest efforts to level I've had since using a Cube. I'm also excited to see the new P0 Hybrid.
You got my attention:) I also own the cube and find it just too heavy when out with a backpack. I will have the P0 tomorrow just in time for a Death Valley trip.

Victor

TimoK

The Novoflex system looks very interesting, but it's very hard to get information on, for instance, the weights of the components. I have the large Gitzo 3-series and Cube for stability (7.5 lbs), but I would like to have a tripod that I'd actually carry willingly. I can see RRS solutions in the 3.3 lb. and 4.5 lb. ranges, and I can actually go to a store and see how stable they are with the Leica S. But the Novoflex tripods are a mystery.

So, Dan or Ken, do you have any idea what a Triobalance or Triopod setup would weigh and how it compares to similar weight RRS setups? (I know it's hard to say with a modular system, but the more data, the better.)

Thank you,

Matt
Look at Novoflex site http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/camera-support-systems/triopod/sets/
or http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/camera-support-systems/triopod/komplettsets-triobalance/
or http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/camera-support-systems/triopod/single-components/

JohnBrew

You got my attention:) I also own the cube and find it just too heavy when out with a backpack. I will have the P0 tomorrow just in time for a Death Valley trip.

Victor
Victor, I recently returned from Death Valley. At the end of the week I was pretty tired of the weight of my d4, but then every time I use it I am happy to have it. The two others in our little group were both using PO's. They were unanimous with their praise.
Have a good shoot.
John

MGrayson

Thank you. Oddly enough, I tried the Novoflex site and couldn't get very far. I'll try again. This is embarrassing, as I'm still the sysadmin in the family despite having two teenagers.

--Matt

(Yes, once I knew there was a solution, I found it. I was fooled by the TrioBalance listing being inside TrioPod. BTW, I did order one yesterday after making some informed guesses. With a simple clamp on top, it's <3.5 lbs. If I need panorama, I can use a P0 on top and I'm at 4 lbs.)

Last edited:

TimoK

Thank you. Oddly enough, I tried the Novoflex site and couldn't get very far. I'll try again. This is embarrassing, as I'm still the sysadmin in the family despite having two teenagers.

--Matt
It's same with me. I should know something about the net,I know about html (and a little xml), I have made some sites (with the help of w3schools), but I never find anything reasonable when I'm looking in internet.
(Yes, once I knew there was a solution, I found it. I was fooled by the TrioBalance listing being inside TriPod. BTW, I did order one yesterday after making some informed guesses. With a simple clamp on top, it's <3.5 lbs. If I need panorama, I can use a P0 on top and I'm at 4 lbs.)
You should trust on those German manufacturers. There is thecnical data somewhere. If not all, the most important. You only have to find it! Keep on searching!

Last edited:

vjbelle

My many thanks to Don Libby for his post regarding the Arca P0. I'm at Death Valley and using it for the first time and find it exemplary. I use it with a Gitzo series 1 (three column leg) which is perfect for my Actus. I ordered it with the Arca flip lock which I know some don't like but I have found to be completely reliable and better than their quick release which has a knob which is too small for me. The whole setup is very light and very study.... I have an image in the 'Tech camera images, from this setup.

Victor

Last edited:

vjbelle

I used the P0 in Death Valley and found it to perform exemplary. Two major pluses are its weight and the fact that the top plate rotation is always level once the head is leveled. The markings are 5 degrees with larger markings at 15, 45, 60, etc. It will easily hold in place 8 lbs of camera weight while attached to the tripod and walking which is one of my preferred ways of carrying a camera. It does not replace the cube.... but then nothing can. It sure is a lot lighter and will see a lot of use from me.

Victor

Pelorus

If this isn't the best place then please suggest I start a new thread.

I've got an Arca Z monoball and I'm hankering after a geared head. I'm so absent minded I live in fear of releasing the ball head and having the Alpa flop over. I'd also like more precision in my set ups.

I'd be interested from those who've used both in a pros/cons of the Arca Cube vs the Arca D4 geared.

vjbelle

Victor, I recently returned from Death Valley. At the end of the week I was pretty tired of the weight of my d4, but then every time I use it I am happy to have it. The two others in our little group were both using PO's. They were unanimous with their praise.
Have a good shoot.
John
There is nothing like a geared head for aligning horizontals/verticals while using a loupe on the LCD screen which is sometimes a must due to lighting. One hand holds the loupe and the other adjusts the gears. Very different from a ball head, any ball head, where the head can move in all directions when loosened. That would be the only differentiation between the Cube and the P0 in the field for me - other than weight. The cube really is in a world of its own....

Victor

RodK

FYI to the forum -

Our new P0 Hybrid heads have arrived and we are filling orders with another shipment due next week. P0 Hybrid will be a fine head for general purposes, though not appropriate for long heavy telephoto lenses or heavier large format cameras. Cube and Z1+ heads are better choices there.

The weight on our scale is 1.2 lbs for a Hybrid with a classic quick release. It is about 4 1/2" tall. There are detents in the panning at every 90 degrees and a spirit level on the quick release.

P0 Hybrid geared movements are responsive and very smooth. Leverage weight capacity is about the same as the P0.

Retail price - $913 with classic quick release or $939 with Fliplock quick release.
Quicklinks are $174 for the set and $80 for extra head disks.

The new D4 and Cube GP (geared pan) are still on preorder status.