The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

dchew

If this isn't the best place then please suggest I start a new thread.

I've got an Arca Z monoball and I'm hankering after a geared head. I'm so absent minded I live in fear of releasing the ball head and having the Alpa flop over. I'd also like more precision in my set ups.

I'd be interested from those who've used both in a pros/cons of the Arca Cube vs the Arca D4 geared.
Well this will be very subjective: I have both, but use the Cube most of the time. I've had the Cube for years, but got the D4 ~4 years ago because I wanted a geared head that was a bit lighter so I could take it into the mountains. I believe a geared head is a must if you have a DB without good live view. Now that I have live view, I can use a ball head like the P0 or RRS B40 without driving myself crazy.

So in my opinion, if you have a CMOS camera with live view, I would get a Cube and a small ball head (maybe the P0) and forget the D4. Use the cube unless you have to go light. If you do not have CMOS live view, then I would get the D4 and use it for everything.

I'm actually considering selling my D4 because I just don't use it much anymore. But it is hard to give up such a nice tool!

Dave

Edit: I guess I'm not even sure the D4 is lighter! But it seems lighter... :loco:

Pelorus

Thanks Dave, no decent live view here - an older CCD back so it sounds like the D4 might be interesting.

Well this will be very subjective: I have both, but use the Cube most of the time. I've had the Cube for years, but got the D4 ~4 years ago because I wanted a geared head that was a bit lighter so I could take it into the mountains. I believe a geared head is a must if you have a DB without good live view. Now that I have live view, I can use a ball head like the P0 or RRS B40 without driving myself crazy.

So in my opinion, if you have a CMOS camera with live view, I would get a Cube and a small ball head (maybe the P0) and forget the D4. Use the cube unless you have to go light. If you do not have CMOS live view, then I would get the D4 and use it for everything.

I'm actually considering selling my D4 because I just don't use it much anymore. But it is hard to give up such a nice tool!

Dave

Edit: I guess I'm not even sure the D4 is lighter! But it seems lighter... :loco:

Mine arrived the other day. It's waiting for its legs to arrive from RSS and then I shall post some pictures :)

FYI to the forum -

Our new P0 Hybrid heads have arrived and we are filling orders with another shipment due next week. P0 Hybrid will be a fine head for general purposes, though not appropriate for long heavy telephoto lenses or heavier large format cameras. Cube and Z1+ heads are better choices there.

The weight on our scale is 1.2 lbs for a Hybrid with a classic quick release. It is about 4 1/2" tall. There are detents in the panning at every 90 degrees and a spirit level on the quick release.

P0 Hybrid geared movements are responsive and very smooth. Leverage weight capacity is about the same as the P0.

Retail price - $913 with classic quick release or $939 with Fliplock quick release.
Quicklinks are $174 for the set and $80 for extra head disks.

The new D4 and Cube GP (geared pan) are still on preorder status.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
It's hard to find Novoflex tripods in the US - no one has them in stock. I've managed to accumulate some over the past month - a TrioPod and a TrioBal head, a set of three-section carbon legs, and a set of 5-section travel carbon legs.

While there is a lot more flex in the 5-section, and it doesn't get as high, it's not uncomfortable to use with an Arca P0 head. I did an experiment with The Leica S and 120 lens. The good news is that - with 2 second delay, which includes mirror lockup - there is no difference in sharpness between the two sets of legs *indoors*. I only tried a 1.5 second exposure, but in both cases, there was plenty of Moire on the Angostura Bitters label across the room, and no blurring.

The TrioPod head with the 5-section legs weighs 30 oz. With the p0 and RRS clamp, the total is less than 3 lbs. Of course, the big legs are only a pound heavier, but they are not as easy to get around with in the city. The TrioBal leveling head with a pano clamp is wonderful for the Graflex. The S needs a bit more flexibility, and the P0 head is very light and strong.

Oh, and the tiny ball and stick legs are brilliant. Perfect for window sills.

Really a nice kit.

--Matt

Last edited:

bensonga

This is not an artistic photo worthy of these two beauties....but I finally bought a Cube. A friend of mine bought it new last Fall, replaced the AS clamp with a RRS clamp and then bought a new Ries J-100 tripod with the Jatoba wood and brass knobs to put it on. He decided to sell the Cube and Ries recently. He bought the Cube/Ries for use with a 4x5 camera but decided he doesn't have time for it. I just couldn't resist this combination and saved about $800 vs buying the whole kit new. Still expensive of course, but what the heck, it's worth a try.

Gary

dchew

Those tripods are gorgeous. Every time I see one...

Hey Guy, does the forum have a feature to put specific threads on our ignore list? I can't follow this one any more.

Dave

MGrayson

Thank you for the pointer. I'll try CI/DB next time I want to add to my Novoflex collection.

--Matt

I love this thread. It's interesting how much people individualize their work tools.

Note to perspective Arca-Swiss D4 buyers. They are no longer using the red loctite. I purchased one in December 2016 and the top plate was easily removable. I got the geared MonoballFix one which is $300 cheaper and mounted a RRS quick release plate on it. I had to get a longer screw, M6 if I remember correctly.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/966722-REG/arca_swiss_870105_d4_monoball_fix.html

2WK

Im interested in this Alpa Novoflex as well. It seems like a steal at $488? Why is the full size tripod less expensive than the mini one?

How does it compare to a similar height RSS or Gitzo...stability wise. I'm in the market and this thread is making me dizzy!

JonMo

The "mini" includes the head. The "legs" are just that; legs only.

I don't have the "Alpa" version but have and love the boring Novoflex one!

MGrayson

That's how I got my first Novoflex tripod - ordered the mini one place and the legs from another.

--Matt

BigBoy

Another update for those interested in Novoflex tipods and monopods they have a USA website and store here with all of their gear. Here is a link( Novoflex > Products ) and it's their official USA website. Buying the magicball free next week.

danlindberg

Alpa GON. After a couple of months I have bonded. The flexibility and modular concept is just brilliant. I frequently use it in different configurations depending on what I want to accomplish (or type of assignment). My trusty Linhof 3D head is nowadays sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

Christopher

Alpa GON. After a couple of months I have bonded. The flexibility and modular concept is just brilliant. I frequently use it in different configurations depending on what I want to accomplish (or type of assignment). My trusty Linhof 3D head is nowadays sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

I was interested but so far no dealer was able to give me some more feedback. Sadly the images from Alpa are completely useless.

So two of my questions:

1. Is it correct that the GON modules have NO middle marker with the Arca clamp ? If true, I find that dump and useless. It would be a easy way to get back to the model point...

2. Can I mount the GON modules directly to a leveling/ Pano head? I mean without the Arca Swiss mount. Other wording: can the Arca mounts at the bottom removed ?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I was interested but so far no dealer was able to give me some more feedback. Sadly the images from Alpa are completely useless.

So two of my questions:

1. Is it correct that the GON modules have NO middle marker with the Arca clamp ? If true, I find that dump and useless. It would be a easy way to get back to the model point...
The GON modules don't have a centre line. I find it easy enough to assemble the modules by visually aligning the edges of the plate either side of the clamp.

2. Can I mount the GON modules directly to a leveling/ Pano head? I mean without the Arca Swiss mount. Other wording: can the Arca mounts at the bottom removed ?
Yes. You can use the bottom Q-Mount or indeed the base of the GON (it's threaded) on any standard threaded tripod head. The Arca mounts on the bottom of the GON modules are machined out of the base and cannot be removed.

IMG_2987.jpg