The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Well, a quick search, and it looks like they made a solo version of this MINICUBE at 449€... i'm gonna order it right now :https://www.google.fr/search?q=arca+p0+hybride&safe=off&client=firefox-b&sa=X&tbm=isch&
I went to that link , but can't find the desired information . This is as always with ARCA . Very poor information
and , if you finally find something relevant , it is all in french . This is one reason , why I turned away from ARCA .
Here the item of desire .
Bildschirmfoto 2017-05-07 um 19.07.09 copy copy.jpg Bildschirmfoto 2017-05-07 um 19.07.18 copy copy.jpg

I could not find anything else .
I would like to know , is this "minicube" only a design study or is it real and will be available soon ? ? ?
If it is real , what is the article number and can that minicube already be ordered .
What is the price . Where can I get more information .
Perhpas Rod Klukas can bring some light into this .
I am very much interested in that minicube and will order it right away when I have the correct info .

Perhaps

vjbelle

I almost exclusively use my Cambo Actus which has a rail that is slightly smaller in width than any other plate or rail that I have come across. Subsequently the only clamp that works with it is from Arca. All other clamps, of any use, will not close with enough clamping force - or close at all - to meet my safety requirements. Acra Tech's clamps will work but are impossible to incorporate into any other system and the Acra Head that I really liked just didn't have the strength to support 5 - 6 lbs while walking with the camera attached and tripod on shoulder. I am curious if the Alpagon also has this limitation.

Victor

JonMo

the po hybrid includes the ball head.

the part is available as just the top section so a po can be turned into a po hybrid

vjbelle

the po hybrid includes the ball head.

the part is available as just the top section so a po can be turned into a po hybrid
Not so easily though. The mounting bolt for the clamp is thread locked into place by Arca and requires careful heating to remove.... at the risk of damage. I have successfully removed those bolts but would hate to be a victim of a mistake.....

Victor

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Hi there,

the part is available and is called "leveller"

There are three part numbers;
860102 is the one i ordered. it is currently available and is just as your picture shows but with a classic knob for the top clamp.

check this link for the other part numbers;
http://www.arca-swiss-magasin.com/contents/fr/d100_Leveler.html

hope this helps.
JonMo
Thank you very much for your info . Really very helpful .
I am looking at the classic version .
As you say , you have that LEVELER . How can that be mounted on a tripod ? ? ?
Has it an 3/8 thread on the bottom ? ? ?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I almost exclusively use my Cambo Actus which has a rail that is slightly smaller in width than any other plate or rail that I have come across. Subsequently the only clamp that works with it is from Arca. All other clamps, of any use, will not close with enough clamping force - or close at all - to meet my safety requirements. Acra Tech's clamps will work but are impossible to incorporate into any other system and the Acra Head that I really liked just didn't have the strength to support 5 - 6 lbs while walking with the camera attached and tripod on shoulder. I am curious if the Alpagon also has this limitation.

Victor
The Alpa GON has a screw adjuster clamp that fits the Actus rail just fine and I've had no problems with it at all, even with the longer rail that I use. Ditto with the Arca adjustable QR clamps and also the Acratech QR clamp as well (which I think is one of the best engineered of all of the QR clamps I've used plus it is adjustable too).

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Sh**, I'm an idiot... i meant paning on the bottom below the geared head. Here the market is failing us. There are many great options for paning at the top of one used a technical camera with rise and fall. However, if you have a normal camera a paning option at the top won't help at all. It the worst thing you can try. ( mind you, not true if you use a full panoramic head, but when I'm hiking with the XF for longer trips I really don't have the urge to carry around a heavy pano head. )

Just using a nodal rail the pano base has to be below the head. For it to work.

I love my cube, I just hate the two things. No pano scale at the bottom and the Arca Swiss clamp at the top isn't in the center...
FYI. I assembled the Alpa GON with the panning clamp at the bottom, on top of the leveling base. I put the other bottom clamp on the top but this could also be an additional panning clamp if necessary.

Christopher

It does look nice. Just not sure if I'm ready to spent over 2k for an experiment. Especially as I exactly know how much of that price is only Alpa premium.

Perhaps I'll get one module that would be all I really need.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Here a quick snapshot of my minicube60 siblings .
Left : aluminium goniometers . Total weight is 856 gramms . Blue ring for leight weight .
Right : Brass goniometers . Total weight is 1585 gramms . Red ring for heavy weight .

For both minicube60 , the bottom panning platform is part of the tripod .

_DSC0004.2.jpg

danlindberg

Those look nice as well Jurgen!!

Yesterday I used the TC and a L-bracket to easy go for vertical nodal stitches.

Sundaytrip with the family, so not really any serious photography, but visiting Ronda (fantastic town with lots and lots of history) a spent 10 minutes at this scene. This particular shot is a single exposure with nd-filter, but I have a 9 exposure series for possible stitch and a more grand scene.

Michiel Schierbeek

Here a quick snapshot of my minicube60 siblings .
Left : aluminium goniometers . Total weight is 856 gramms . Blue ring for leight weight .
Right : Brass goniometers . Total weight is 1585 gramms . Red ring for heavy weight .

For both minicube60 , the bottom panning platform is part of the tripod .

View attachment 126945
Where to buy those Jürgen? I am especially interested in the left one.
Looks like a more modest priced alternative...

hcubell

Those look nice as well Jurgen!!

Yesterday I used the TC and a L-bracket to easy go for vertical nodal stitches.

Sundaytrip with the family, so not really any serious photography, but visiting Ronda (fantastic town with lots and lots of history) a spent 10 minutes at this scene. This particular shot is a single exposure with nd-filter, but I have a 9 exposure series for possible stitch and a more grand scene.

This looks cool, but I have always understood that I should NEVER use the center column of a tripod to extend the height of the platform, because it would compromise the stability of the platform for my camera to sit on, in terms of susceptibility to wind and vibration. In fact, way better not to have any center column at all. The sheer number of different devices that you have sitting one on top of the other above the base platform of the tripod would seem to violate that rule in spades. Just wondering.

Christopher

It certainly does, but partly is necessary. Gould need a leveling base, a pano base and the geared head to make the movements. It's true, however, that I would not use the second paning base and in that case the second GON module, as these just add weight and height without any benefit.

Another question to Dan, are you adjusting the nodal point for tiring the camera upwards and downwards for each row you shot ?

danlindberg

@hcubell, agree about centre column and I never use one either (for the Alpa). When using all the components of the Gon it does become high, but this 'column' itself is rocksolid. Obviously I understand that you refer to physics that the cam is higher up from the base of the tripod, but so far it has worked very nicely. Besides, I do not use all components all the time....

@christopher, the BTS shot shows the configuration for the singel exposure. When doing the nodalstitch (and sorry I wrote it wrong before, it was 6 shots not 9) I put the top panoplate inbetween the Gon modules, so that the pano plate was perfectly level. Then the first 3 shot row with the top Gon tilt up and second 3 shot row tilt down. No, I did not adjust nodal position of lens.