The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

danlindberg

Just to add concerning height/weight of all components. I have also simplified and using the pano plate directly on the levellingbase of tripod to minimize height increase (and bulk/weight ofcourse) for single row stitch. The only difference is that I need to level (and aim) the baseplate 'before' mounting the cam.

thrice

Since I have moved away from large format and tech cams I think I will need to rationalise my tripod setup.

I currently have a Gitzo GT3542LOS which is an absolute beast of a tripod with no compromises.

How do the users of the Novoflex Triopod rate it's stability/weight versus the best the italians can offer?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Dan,

I have the same Gitzo and use it with a cube. The Novoflex setups are half the weight, and not as stiff. But I've not had a single frame ruined due to tripod movement. My use has not been that extensive, and didn't include long lenses, but a Leica S isn't a tiny camera and its lenses are heavy.

I'm taking the 5 section travel legs and a P0 head on a walking trip. I'll let you know how it works out.

Matt

hcubell

Dan,

I have the same Gitzo and use it with a cube. The Novoflex setups are half the weight, and not as stiff. But I've not had a single frame ruined due to tripod movement. My use has not been that extensive, and didn't include long lenses, but a Leica S isn't a tiny camera and its lenses are heavy.

I'm taking the 5 section travel legs and a P0 head on a walking trip. I'll let you know how it works out.

Matt
Are you taking your Leica S on the walking trip?

MGrayson

A perfect occasion for an X1D with the 30mm and 90mm lenses!
It would be if I liked using the X1D. Ditto A7RII. There are lots of smaller, lighter systems with great optics and lots of pixels. But if you don't like using a system, it's not worth bringing. I brought an A7II and Contax 24-85 to Iceland and was not happy at all.

Note: I'm not saying these are bad systems, or worse, or anything comparative - just that *I* like shooting the S more. It's pure indulgence.

--Matt (sorry for getting :OT:)

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Where to buy those Jürgen? I am especially interested in the left one.
Looks like a more modest priced alternative...
Hello Michiel

These goniometers can not be bought anywhere . They are my own "production" .
The idea is not my own idea , but our getdpi member GRZEGORZ PEDZICH influenced me very strong .
So I got two brass gonimeters via :::bay and assembled a minicube .
I was not really satisfied with the weight and looked for aluminium goniometers . No sucess .
But about 3 month ago , I suddenly found them through a dealer here in Germany .
It took quite some time till I got all the required parts , like bottom and top plate (GMT ASAP60) quick release plates (DPG-39) and the rotation heads . The blue and read ring are self made . I could have made the top and bottom plates myself , no problem , but getting a low number of parts anodized is very expensive . Therefore getting the GMT part was faster and cheaper .

I like to do mechanical works and it was great fun making and assembling these GONIOMETERS .

One big disadvantage of my two minicube60s is , that they are made for opto/electronic LABS and are precision driven . That means , you have to turn the adjustment knobs much more often to achieve a swing of say 10º in comparison to the ARCA CUBE (which I have) or the LINHOF , or the new ALPA GON .

ARCA SWISS will obviously launch a kind of minicube 60 (60mm in diameter) soon . Have a look at the P0 hybrid and just imagine the LEVELER , the new top part , as a mini cube .
This leveler , part number 860102 is cancelled . Waiting for the new model .

Yes it is true , I am a geared head slut .

hcubell

It would be if I liked using the X1D. Ditto A7RII. There are lots of smaller, lighter systems with great optics and lots of pixels. But if you don't like using a system, it's not worth bringing. I brought an A7II and Contax 24-85 to Iceland and was not happy at all.

Note: I'm not saying these are bad systems, or worse, or anything comparative - just that *I* like shooting the S more. It's pure indulgence.

--Matt (sorry for getting :OT:)
I understand. We all have different thresholds for pain and suffering. I prefer shooting my H2/IQ180 within 100 ft. of my vehicle. If I am going to hike for 2+ miles, however, there are other systems that I prefer, even if there may be a small compromise in terms of ultimate IQ.

Shashin

Dan,

Matt
Probably really well. I have a very similar setup with a Pentax 645D and a carbon fiber tripod with a p0. I usually just walk with the camera mounted on the tripod and the tripod fully extending over my shoulder. (Although I still keep the camera strap around my neck because I do not trust the camera to not come off and I have gotten better at maneuvering without hanging myself with the strap.) I made two books walking around with that gear and covering several miles a day on not so flat terrain.

vieri

Arca-Swiss P0 Classic + Gitzo

I love my Gitzo 4433LS and Arca-Swiss P0 Classic. None of that Hybrid for me: it's great, I saw Erik's i the flesh when he came to my Workshop on Skye in March, but to me with its size and weight the Hybrid defies the purpose of a small, light and extremely strong head for which the P0 is just perfect! Here it is, taking a bow:

and here she is carrying the SL in style:

A truly amazing head. You can read my write up on it here:

https://vieribottazzini.com/2016/08/arca-swiss-p0-monoball-review.html

Best regards,

Vieri

Last edited:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
OK. I will give that "funny" P0 head a try . Its on order .
In any case , Vieri , I will blame you .:banghead: :ROTFL: .

MGrayson

The P0 is excellent. I haven't used the Cube much lately and the RRS heads are gathering dust. With a long lens I'd use the Uniqball to stay level, but otherwise, P0!

Matt

vieri

OK. I will give that "funny" P0 head a try . Its on order .
In any case , Vieri , I will blame you .:banghead: :ROTFL: .
Good to hear! Hope you'll enjoy it then! :thumbup::grin:

The P0 is excellent. I haven't used the Cube much lately and the RRS heads are gathering dust. With a long lens I'd use the Uniqball to stay level, but otherwise, P0!

Matt
Same here Matt, everything else has been sold once I got the P0 - I do landscape, so for hiking every once matters and the P0 has been a lifesaver :thumbup:

Best regards,

Vieri

MGrayson

Vieri,

I'm still uncertain on the legs. If I did more long exposure, I'd probably feel, as you do, that a 5 lb. Gitzo was mandatory. I'm going to see if the lightest (2 lbs.) or medium (3 lbs) alternatives are adequate for the occasional dawn/twilight capture.

Best,

Matt

vieri

Vieri,

I'm still uncertain on the legs. If I did more long exposure, I'd probably feel, as you do, that a 5 lb. Gitzo was mandatory. I'm going to see if the lightest (2 lbs.) or medium (3 lbs) alternatives are adequate for the occasional dawn/twilight capture.

Best,

Matt
Matt,

makes sense, though I would also factor in your environment and your camera - if you shoot a S (medium heavy camera), and i.e. if you use it in a high-wind area, then I would recommend a heavier tripod even for occasional use; you wouldn't want your captures, even if just occasional, to be ruined by the elements :banghead: In my experience, for tripod work of any kind stability is a must, and the extra premium you pay in weight is, in fact, paying you back in image quality :thumbup:

Best regards,

Vieri