The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

D&A

Hi Will,

I think as you mentioned, there will be a run on p0 heads. May be a good time to invest in the company :). I am not familar with the hybrid version with the two goniom, haven't head of it but will look into it. Appreciate though all the explanations and feedback and its looking more and more like I should be investing in this head. Then again I said the same thing about Beenie babies and Beta Max tape when first introduced.:).

Dave (D&A)[

Last edited:

dchew

Initial thoughts on the P0 Hybrid

Some background on my situation: I currently use two tripod systems, a 3-series RRS TVC-34L w/ A-S Cube and a 2-series RRS TVC-24L w/ BH-40. The 34L is the default for everything, while the 24L is used for backpacking or mixed travel.

Weights of my options:
BH-40: 445g
P0: 365g
P0h: 590g*
D4g: 800g
Cube: 1040g

Here is the best site I found for A-S head comparison and weight info:
https://www.arca-shop.de/en/tripod-heads-compared

I had the geared D4 for a while, but never bonded with it. Although it is a great, full-featured head (geared and free-moving, dual panning above and below, etc.) there were a few things that kept me from using it much:
  1. The weight difference between the D4 and the Cube wasn’t as much as I liked
  2. The D4 is still fairly large in a pack. I like to remove the head from the tripod while strapped to a backpack on long hikes or multi-day trips.
  3. The free-moving feature is nice, but because you have to release each direction separately, I didn’t find it to be much quicker than simply cranking the geared knobs. I use L-Brackets, so someone flipping the D4 over for portrait orientation may find the free-moving knobs more useful.
If I only had one tripod system the D4 might be The Goldilocks. But, because of all the above I found myself using the BH-40 on the 24L instead. The BH-40 checks the size & weight boxes, but it is still a ballhead, with all the non-geared ballhead issues.

I’ve been intrigued by the original P0, but it too is still a ballhead. Enter the P0 Hybrid (P0h). My first impression came at the fedex pickup location. They handed me the box and I thought it might be empty! The P0h fixes two of the three D4 issues I had above. It’s half the weight of the Cube, and releasing it for free movement is as fast or faster than any ballhead. Grab and twist with your eyes closed. It really is the best of both worlds: Fast as a ballhead but without the frustrations, and as accurate as a geared head.

Because the ball release is orientation-agnostic, you can position this head different ways to fit your style, hand positions and equipment. For example, I position the drop notch forward. With L-brackets (or the H/V mounting points on the STC), there is no need for me to drop the head 90 degrees left or right. I can position the drop notch forward and still have all the release and geared controls in a convenient orientation. This is how I currently have it oriented:

There are some things that may or may not be a bother. There are heavy detents designed into the panning head every 90 degrees. I like this because I prefer to orient pitch and roll so I can adjust one without affecting the other. People who use the panning feature a lot may find these detents annoying. There are also detents on the zero angle positions for pitch and roll. This does bug me a bit. I don’t understand the need and it makes it more difficult to fine tune close to zero because it wants to drop into the detent. A minor nit-pick for sure.

There are a few other things I am not thrilled with:
  • I have been using the RRS quick release system to easily remove or swap heads. The base of the P0h is slightly too large for the RRS DVTL-40. I either have to turn down the lip on the DVTL-40 in a lathe, or come up with another way to remove the head other than screwing and unscrewing every time. I’m curious if anyone else has tried this: “ARCA-SWISS Quiklink tripod head mount”. Could be an elegant answer to this problem.
  • Although there are no reports of stability problems, I do wish the center post was shorter and/or had a larger diameter. It doesn’t appear to be a problem, but having a 1” long stem 1/2” in diameter is a little unnerving. By comparison, the BH-40 stem is thicker (9/16) and only 3/8” long. And the BH-40 is by no means a beefy ballhead. As Howard pointed out several posts above, we always say center columns are a no-no and this is no different than having a 1/2” center column permanently extended 1” off the base. Again, no one has complained about stability, and if it is good enough for Victor I am sure it will be good enough for me.
All in all, my first impressions are very positive. In fact, at ~500 grams lighter than the cube I better be careful: This might replace the cube as my standard on either tripod…

Dave

Last edited:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Dave , I envy you . Looks great with the SONY A7R . I have the same in mind for my A7II .

Looking at www.arca-swiss-magasin.com I find a bit different weight figures for the P0 and P0 hybrid , which make more sense . P0 (no clamp) 320gr. P0 hybrid classic 590gr .
The weight figures from the ARCA-SHOP would indicate a weight of just 135gr. for the goniometer module .
I can not believe that .
Impatiently waiting for my P0 . My own "classic clamp" is waiting .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Dave

I use the RRS QUICK RELEASE SYSTEM on top of all my tripods (5) and subsequent all my heads have a QR-PLATE .
The P0 base plate has a diameter of a lttle less than 60mm and I have already prepared a 60mm disc (10mm thick , 3/8 thread ) with a QR-Plate mounted . Then I can mount the P0 on all my tripods just in a second .
I will show an image when the P0 has arrived .

thrice

My beloved Gitzo GT3542LOS Ocean Systematic is for sale here.

I'm keen to try the Novoflex Triopods now that I'm not shooting large or medium format anymore.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
. . . . . . . . . . .
There are a few other things I am not thrilled with:
  • I have been using the RRS quick release system to easily remove or swap heads. The base of the P0h is slightly too large for the RRS DVTL-40. I either have to turn down the lip on the DVTL-40 in a lathe, or come up with another way to remove the head other than screwing and unscrewing every time. I’m curious if anyone else has tried this: “ARCA-SWISS Quiklink tripod head mount”. Could be an elegant answer to this problem.
  • Although there are no reports of stability problems, I do wish the center post was shorter and/or had a larger diameter. It doesn’t appear to be a problem, but having a 1” long stem 1/2” in diameter is a little unnerving. By comparison, the BH-40 stem is thicker (9/16) and only 3/8” long. And the BH-40 is by no means a beefy ballhead. As Howard pointed out several posts above, we always say center columns are a no-no and this is no different than having a 1/2” center column permanently extended 1” off the base. Again, no one has complained about stability, and if it is good enough for Victor I am sure it will be good enough for me.
All in all, my first impressions are very positive. In fact, at ~500 grams lighter than the cube I better be careful: This might replace the cube as my standard on either tripod…

Dave
Dave

My P0 has arrived and my classic clamp on top fits very well and looks just great .
Image will follow .

As for the bottom (QR SYSTEM) , I have two own solutions . They are stable but they don't look nice .
So i have been searching for something nicer . The ARCA Quick Link Set would mean a new QR system .
So I decided against it . But what I think , a good solution is the ARCA slim plate . 802208 .
It is a square plate and the diagonal is exactly the same as the diameter of the P0 foot .
IMO , this will be the smallest QR solution . That little thing is on order .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Here my ARCA-SWISS P0 .
The bottom plate is made out of an old NOVOFLEX profile bar . It can be used with all classic clamps but also with the RRS quick release system clamp , which I use on all my tripods .

ARCA.P0.@.jpg

The top clamp can take all ARCA and NOVOFLEX plates as well as some of my RRS plates .
Total weight is 485 gramms .

Godfrey

Just make sure you have the old-style Arca clamp and not the new mini one. Or replace it with a Novoflex or RRS clamp. Then you'll be fine with RRS L-plates.

--Matt
I've come to love the Monoball P0 ... my favorite head for all around use. I've been using the 801211 model (just the 1/4" and 3/8" stud) with a Really Right Stuff QR clamp but I found it somewhat awkward. Since I bought it, the 801214 "Monoball p0 with quickset classic" model was introduced. I just bought one of those so I now have the ability to use all my standard Arca-Swiss type plates from RRS, Kirk, FOBA, and Acratech. If you want a quick release lever and the same compatibility, you need the 801215 "Monoball p0 quickset FlipLock" model.

The 801214 QR clamp is much better in use than fitting a clamp onto the stud.

G

Godfrey

Godfrey, I'm curious about why using the p0 fitted with an RRS QR clamp was "somewhat awkward". I've got the 801214 model and have been debating whether to have the classic clamp swapped with an RRS lever clamp (by Precision Camera). Is there a fit issue or does some part of the RRS clamp interfere with the operation of the p0? Thanks in advance.
There are some minor issues with getting it secured properly on the stud without using one of the harder to remove thread locking compounds. I'm not sure why, but with the usual Loctite Blue, it comes loose fairly often. It otherwise fits fairly well, although it is a somewhere more rectangular shape and with one of my sets of legs that has the reverse-fold mechanism it makes it a bit fussy to fold up the legs to use the tripod's bag.

Also, the rotation lock becomes a little difficult to use in certain orientations of the clamp and base. This is true of the classic clamp too.

I bought the classic clamp rather than the FlipLoc to ensure compatibility with all plates .. I have had problems in the past with Novoflex plates, in particular, using lever action clamps. Sometimes they fit and other times not.

Nothing's perfect, of course. I like the compactness and simplicity of using the new head with its integrated classic clamp. I wish the knob were a little larger diameter and had a rubberized surface... such it is. :)

G

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Jürgen, I don't recognize the top clamp. Is that an Arca-Swiss or RRS clamp?

Joe
Joe

The clamp is neither ARCA nor RRS . It is a MENG's or LEOFOTO clamp . Very stable , and the only one with 60mm
diameter . There are many clamps with just 58mm or 62mm , 65mm . And I wanted a 60mm clamp , because it looks much nicer when the diameters fit .

Godfrey

Jürgen, I don't recognize the top clamp. Is that an Arca-Swiss or RRS clamp?
Joe

The clamp is neither ARCA nor RRS . It is a MENG's or LEOFOTO clamp . Very stable , and the only one with 60mm
diameter . There are many clamps with just 58mm or 62mm , 65mm . And I wanted a 60mm clamp , because it looks much nicer when the diameters fit .
It seems to be the same as this one I found on Ebay, offered by seller Austin.Leit:
Quick Release Clamp Adapter

The only MENG's I found that looks similar is the DR-55a, which lists a 55mm diameter.

I'm beginning to think that a couple of short securing bolts on the RRS lever-action clamp will solve the loosening and rotation problem. Its got two beveled, threaded bosses on the sides of the main threaded mounting that would allow a short bolt to wedge against the P0's rotating part. I'm going to call RRS and see if they have a pair of suitable bolts to use in stock.

(I was going to sell the plain head and RRS clamp, but if I can stop the rotation I have no problem keeping it for my other tripod legs and I'll sell the my other heads instead ... I'll have an Acratech GP and an Ultimate Ball Head, and a Markins Q3 Emilié, that I'm not using. Although the GP is a very nice head all in its own right. Decisions, decisions...)

G

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Have a look for MENGs DM-60 . 3/8" . That's what is printed on the clamp .
You might find other clamps by just using DM-60 as a search argument .
Have a look , what the bottom looks like , to see that it can be mounted .

I have the impression , that there is only one company in CHINA producing accessories like these and they are sold under different names . I might be wrong here . Sometimes , they look slightly different only , but seem to be in fact the same or similar part .
You can mount that DM-60 directly , without the blue ring , I made . You then only need a 8-10mm 3/8" threaded bolt . Stainless , if you want .
My solution required a longer bolt . 14mm , which I made of brass .

I can't disassemble the top of my P0 anymore , to show you how its done , since I already have secured all screws with LOCTITE .

Godfrey

Thanks! I found the "MENG's DM-60 Arca-Swiss clamp" with a google search and compared it against the one I found on Ebay with the address posted above. They are the same clamp based on the photos presented. :)

G

Have a look for MENGs DM-60 . 3/8" . That's what is printed on the clamp .
You might find other clamps by just using DM-60 as a search argument .
Have a look , what the bottom looks like , to see that it can be mounted .

I have the impression , that there is only one company in CHINA producing accessories like these and they are sold under different names . I might be wrong here . Sometimes , they look slightly different only , but seem to be in fact the same or similar part .
You can mount that DM-60 directly , without the blue ring , I made . You then only need a 8-10mm 3/8" threaded bolt . Stainless , if you want .
My solution required a longer bolt . 14mm , which I made of brass .

I can't disassemble the top of my P0 anymore , to show you how its done , since I already have secured all screws with LOCTITE .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Joe

If you want to use any ARCA or NOVOFLEX plates on the MENGs DM-60 , you need to do a minor modification .
I have sent Godfrey a PM about the modification . Will try to pass it on to you .

Jürgen .

vjbelle

I've come to love the Monoball P0 ... my favorite head for all around use. I've been using the 801211 model (just the 1/4" and 3/8" stud) with a Really Right Stuff QR clamp but I found it somewhat awkward. Since I bought it, the 801214 "Monoball p0 with quickset classic" model was introduced. I just bought one of those so I now have the ability to use all my standard Arca-Swiss type plates from RRS, Kirk, FOBA, and Acratech. If you want a quick release lever and the same compatibility, you need the 801215 "Monoball p0 quickset FlipLock" model.

The 801214 QR clamp is much better in use than fitting a clamp onto the stud.

G
Godfrey, I also have the P0 with the classic fliplock which I really do like. This fliplock gets a lot of bad press which is unfounded. I have found it to be bullet proof and I trust anything attached to it ( $50,000.00 + ) safe. I have used the classic screw type quick release but found the knob to be less than desirable especially compared to the knob used by Acratech which is a dream to use. If I could replace the knob on the Arca with the one on the Acra then I would use the classic screw quick release. All in all the P0 is really nice to use and I have used it with me on my current trip to the Tetons with excellent resuts.

Victor

Godfrey

Joe

If you want to use any ARCA or NOVOFLEX plates on the MENGs DM-60 , you need to do a minor modification .
I have sent Godfrey a PM about the modification . Will try to pass it on to you .

Jürgen .
Jürgen sent me this:

jotloob said:
If you buy the MENGs DM-60 and you want to use ARCA or NOVOFLEX QR plates , then
you must do a minor modification to the clamp . Not to the plates ! ! ! .

On the left and right side of the clamp bottom you can see a kind of small "platform"
10mm wide all along the clamp . (please excuse my bad english) you must raise this by 0,4mm . Have a close look to my image and you will see a black stripe on each side .

They are glued on by using a two component glue from HENKEL . Called STABILIT EXPRESS . If you need these stripes , I can send them to you .

A two side adhesive tape is of no use , when it is warm .
Best . Jürgen .
I achieved the same result using a Novoflex ASTAT-NEX with the RRS clamp by rubber-cementing a fitted piece of 300gsm printing paper to the bottom of the 'plate' ... The goal is to simply raise the height of the taper by a small fraction of a mm to allow enough pressure to bear upon it. The paper and rubber cement solution was quickly removable with a razor blade when I sold the ASTAT-NEX, and left it clean "as new."

G

Godfrey

Godfrey, I also have the P0 with the classic fliplock which I really do like. This fliplock gets a lot of bad press which is unfounded. I have found it to be bullet proof and I trust anything attached to it ( $50,000.00 + ) safe. I have used the classic screw type quick release but found the knob to be less than desirable especially compared to the knob used by Acratech which is a dream to use. If I could replace the knob on the Arca with the one on the Acra then I would use the classic screw quick release. All in all the P0 is really nice to use and I have used it with me on my current trip to the Tetons with excellent resuts.
Good to know, thank you.
Yes, the Acratech knob is much nicer than the Arca-Swiss knob...

I found a solution to the RRS lever-action clamp's tendency to loosen yesterday. The RRS clamp has two auxiliary threaded holes next to the securing center hole. These inscribe a circle smaller than the rotating center portion of the P0 head. A pair of 1/4-20 x 5/16" grub screws with an 1/8" hex head will thread into the clamp and lock it securely in place. Problem solved ...! Why I didn't think of it before I don't know.

Now to decide whether to keep the classic clamp version as well for my other legs, or to keep the Acratech GP head... Decisions, decisions! :D

G

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The Novoflex screw clamp is very pleasant to use due to a double thread - it tightens with fewer turns. I worry that this design would facilitate accidental loosening of the clamp, but I've never heard of this happening. I have no problems with the Arca flip lock, except the modern one has too many sharp corners to accommodate the smaller locking system. The RRS lever clamp is easy and comfortable, so I use that on the P0.

-Matt