The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I have an e-mail from Alpa in my inbox offering a special on their tripod and cube system. It looks a lot like the Area cube in form and function. Their tripod is very modular, and looks great. It is a good deal for everything in the package, relative to Alpa prices.
Has anyone seen or used the Alpa tripod?
I have it. I posted what I thought about it after a few weeks back here: https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...81-great-tripod-head-thread-3.html#post729023

It's essentially a Novoflex system. The interchangeable legs & tilt base work well but the dual goniometer heads make it top heavy when both fitted. TBH I don't use it much these days because there's no friction on the leveling base and so it makes it annoying to use in the field sometimes (I'll loosen the level to slightly adjust and the entire heavy top wants to tip). It works better when you only use one of the goniometers.

Would I buy it again? Probably not. It's a beautifully made and elegant design but suffers somewhat from form over function. As said though, the legs / base can be combined with a different, less dense, head for a better combination IMHO.

Smoothjazz

Good to know. Do you think the legs are better in any way than the legs on a Gitzo 3 series tripod?

anyUOTE=GrahamWelland;745310]I have it. I posted what I thought about it after a few weeks back here: https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...81-great-tripod-head-thread-3.html#post729023

It's essentially a Novoflex system. The interchangeable legs & tilt base work well but the dual goniometer heads make it top heavy when both fitted. TBH I don't use it much these days because there's no friction on the leveling base and so it makes it annoying to use in the field sometimes (I'll loosen the level to slightly adjust and the entire heavy top wants to tip). It works better when you only use one of the goniometers.

Would I buy it again? Probably not. It's a beautifully made and elegant design but suffers somewhat from form over function. As said though, the legs / base can be combined with a different, less dense, head for a better combination IMHO.[/QUOTE]

GrahamWelland

Alpa does have good legs that can be removed from the base for packing into a smaller package than a Gitzo 3 series. I like the markings on the legs which make it easy to set the height consistently and also they come with both spikes and rubber pads plus also the short legs for a table top set up.

It's a good travel tripod. It's just the stacked height of goniometers and panning head that make it less than ideal by being top heavy.

https://www.novoflexus.com/products/tripods/triopod/novoflex-trioa2830.htm

Last edited:

Frankly

Apologies for not being directly MFD related but perhaps there is some crossover... I haven't needed the precise movements of Cube devices (and I question why anyone would for most normal photo situations especially when we know we're editing?).

First a couple of details of the RRS tripods that get overlooked, their excellent spikes and the clever way you can hide their multi-driver tool in the column. These kinds of features can sway you pretty quickly.

I've owned the RRS 24L with BH40L and 34L with BH55L and both were superb, although after a time I realized that I was babying them to a fault. When the tripods get so expensive you're less apt to stick them into the nastiest brack and gunk... and if you've ever driven away from a tripod (and in my case luckily returned to claim it) you might start to think of the "burden" of ownership.

Plus I was paranoid of scratching or nicking the CF and creating a weak spot... I'd put the CF legs into a bag within my travel bag so light stands and such wouldn't ding it. I started to miss the old Aluminum workhorse Gitzos that never complained about being tossed across the room and roughhoused by airlines. But when I went shopping I saw that Gitzo's US distributor stopped carrying the full line of aluminum Gitzos... I eventually found this middling #2 tall four-section metal Gitzo in England. It cost about $450 and has the modern Gitzo features, good build quality, and paired with a RRS BH40L it's nicely balanced kit. Extends a bit over my 6' and holds my current gear, heaviest being a 300/2.8 lens.

Yes the CF is damp but in the real world is it that important? In my experience the wind sail area of the camera is what messes things up more than the legs transmitting any tuning fork giggles.

Anyway dropping down to legs and column for 1/3 the price of the RRS kit was liberating to me at least. But I’m not backpacking or overly concerned about saving the last pound either.

I also have the old #5 Giantluxe just in case, old shot with Infrared in the Rollei back when I did architectural stuff with film, before restrictive airline weight limits.

Attachments

Last edited:

bensonga

....I started to miss the old Aluminum workhorse Gitzos that never complained about being tossed across the room and roughhoused by airlines. But when I went shopping I saw that Gitzo's US distributor stopped carrying the full line of aluminum Gitzos... I eventually found this middling #2 tall four-section metal Gitzo in England. It cost about $450 and has the modern Gitzo features, good build quality, and paired with a RRS BH40L it's nicely balanced kit. Extends a bit over my 6' and holds my current gear, heaviest being a 300/2.8 lens.

<snip>

Anyway dropping down to legs and column for 1/3 the price of the RRS kit was liberating to me at least. But I’m not backpacking or overly concerned about saving the last pound either.

I also have the old #5 Giantluxe just in case, old shot with Infrared in the Rollei back when I did architectural stuff with film, before restrictive airline weight limits.
Hi Frankly,

That is an impressive Gitzo giant! I have never seen one set up and in use that is so tall.

I really like the Gitzo alloy tripods too. The hammertone type finish on them is beautiful. I recently picked up a late model Series 5 Tele Studex Compact Performance (Mk2) in mint condition to add to my small collection. I bought my first Gitzo alloy tripod about 25 years ago (a Reporter Compact Performance Mk2).

I did not know that Gitzo still made and sold the alloy tripods outside of the USA. I've certainly never seen a Gitzo alloy tripod that looks like the one in your last picture. I'm curious to know the model number/name, where you got it and how long ago that was.

Gary

Frankly

I did not know that Gitzo still made and sold the alloy tripods outside of the USA. I've certainly never seen a Gitzo alloy tripod that looks like the one in your last picture. I'm curious to know the model number/name, where you got it and how long ago that was.
That's the thing, they do not. I am sure they rather sell you a higher margin CF leg set.

Plus the US Gitzo distributor is atrocious for service and parts, I don't like giving them any business.

I found this one from the Gitzo European website then did a search for EU retailers. I believe this model is no longer made but perhaps there is something similar? And I long ago gave up with the Gitzo naming conventions, it just got too complicated.

Honestly for the same or less money you can probably find a very good Chinese CF tripod. And if that is unappealing then by all means buy a domestic RRS.

I used to use the tallest four-section #3 series (~18" leg sections) with the earlier Arca B1 throughout the 80s-90s as a do everything commercial photo tripod, it would easily hold a Technika or heavy medium format or telephoto rig. If I had stopped right there and kept it forever I'd still be fine, the head would lock up every year or two but I learned how to fix it.

For architecture they made a five section #5 leg set that people called the Giant Luxe... I forget the specs but 110" sticks in my mind, probably taller with the column. For something like my old Sinar Norma in 4x5 the column was thick enough to hold it quite steady. The best one I had used a geared Majestic head because the old Gitzo #5 low profile heads were good for Deardorffs and other flatbed 8x10s but not much else.

Alan

There was a later version as well, G1504 MkII. I use it for arch exteriors, sometimes with the XL column GS5511XLS which together can get the camera ~15' high! Very handy for locations where a lift isn't practical. It needs some ballast when using the last leg section, but very stable then. The XL column is subject to swaying in the wind.

G1504.jpg

bensonga

I have the older G505 with a geared center column and the newer 1505 Mk2 with the rapid column, both of which are the 5 series alloy tripods (I believe these models were also called the Tele Studex Compact Performance). I also have 1 and 3 series Gitzo alloy tripods, 2 Gitzo carbon fiber, 1 Gitzo Basalt, several Induro CF, 2 Ries, a Berlebach, a couple of big alloy Bogen tripods etc. In total, I have about 14 tripods now. Yes, it has become somewhat of an obsession. And then there are the tripod heads....

Gary

Alaarx

For those looking at it, my p0 hybrid has had to go back to my dealer. The amount of give in the knobs is unacceptable after a few months. They are quite loose and have been returned with the same issue. The GP on the cube is the same mechanism that used for all movements on the p0 hybrid.

Back to the D4 until things are sorted out.

drunkenspyder

For those looking at it, my p0 hybrid has had to go back to my dealer. The amount of give in the knobs is unacceptable after a few months. They are quite loose and have been returned with the same issue. The GP on the cube is the same mechanism that used for all movements on the p0 hybrid.

Back to the D4 until things are sorted out.
I have a P0 hybrid, but haven’t experienced this problem yet. Will keep an eye on it. Neither of my Cubes (one is geared pan, one is not) has shown any slop. Maybe the GP use in the Cube is less stressed than the various movements in the P0?

Phase V

There was a later version as well, G1504 MkII. I use it for arch exteriors, sometimes with the XL column GS5511XLS which together can get the camera ~15' high! Very handy for locations where a lift isn't practical. It needs some ballast when using the last leg section, but very stable then. The XL column is subject to swaying in the wind.

View attachment 131615
Hi,
quick question, does this XL columm GS5511XLS fit into a Series 4 Gitzo Systematic as well or ist this only for Series 5 tripods?

Alaarx

I have a P0 hybrid, but haven’t experienced this problem yet. Will keep an eye on it. Neither of my Cubes (one is geared pan, one is not) has shown any slop. Maybe the GP use in the Cube is less stressed than the various movements in the P0?
Thats great to hear. My dealer seems to think it might be a "v1" issue but I hope its isolated.

Definitely a lot more force on the p0 mechanism than the cube, its also possible theres just a bad batch out there since I'm in Australia and the issues I've seen might all be from the same run. Its back with AS now let's see how they handle it.

rjp85

I'm considering the P0 Hybrid, and now I'm hesitant because of your issue with the loose knobs. It seems like you can't win with a geared head, because they always end up going out of spec, with loose gears, play in the gears, etc, especially the Manfrottos.

I've been looking at the Cube and the geared D4. I saw one review of the geared D4 stating that it slips with an 8 pound 4x5. That doesn't sound too good. Has anyone had any slippage with their geared D4?

drunkenspyder

Apologies for the pic quality, but wanted to share that I got my GP Cube back today with the RRS clamp to replace the AS QR clamp. I found the AS clamp difficult to use, especially in cold conditions. The RRS clamp is so much easier, and I have never found any of them less than reliable:
fullsizeoutput_25d0.jpgIMG_0939.jpg
P.S. I might still prefer to use the big Cambo on the basic RRS Leveling Base. Though quite sturdy, it feels tall sitting on top of the Cube.

Last edited:

Frankly

Hi,
quick question, does this XL columm GS5511XLS fit into a Series 4 Gitzo Systematic as well or ist this only for Series 5 tripods?
I'm not him but there were very few #4 series tripods, I used to have a 413 and I think it had the same circular opening as the #5 series. I remember mounting an ancient leveling head onto a #5 that had a column, it was a universal common size.

I think, don't hate me if I'm wrong!

GrahamWelland

I'm considering the P0 Hybrid, and now I'm hesitant because of your issue with the loose knobs. It seems like you can't win with a geared head, because they always end up going out of spec, with loose gears, play in the gears, etc, especially the Manfrottos.

I've been looking at the Cube and the geared D4. I saw one review of the geared D4 stating that it slips with an 8 pound 4x5. That doesn't sound too good. Has anyone had any slippage with their geared D4?
Not sure who had the D4 slippage but in my experience the geared D4 is rock solid with everything I’ve put on it and that includes Phase One XF (aka the boat anchor) with 240LS and other large Phase One LS zooms along with a MFDB. The locking levers lock the head to the gearing and I haven’t ever had the geared movement move under load.

Btw, ditto with the Cube. The only issue I’ve ever had with the Cube was due to impact damage caused by baggage handlers to the fine threaded gear rails.

jng

I had Bob Watkins at Precision Camera Works do this mod on my non-geared Cube and was wondering whether this is possible with the new geared panning version. Thanks.

John

Apologies for the pic quality, but wanted to share that I got my GP Cube back today with the RRS clamp to replace the AS QR clamp. I found the AS clamp difficult to use, especially in cold conditions. The RRS clamp is so much easier, and I have never found any of them less than reliable:

P.S. I might still prefer to use the big Cambo on the basic RRS Leveling Base. Though quite sturdy, it feels tall sitting on top of the Cube.