The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

daf

look at the end of the page before this one :)

its the box for the Arca Leveller shown in my previous posts in this thread.
Just to confirm the ordering numbers.
Not sure about the reference number, as the new leveller will come with two panning pan: one at the bottom+ one at the top.... yours looks like it is only at the top, am i right ?
Can you tell us the price you paid for it?

Godfrey

Follow up ... It's been a while since I contributed to this thread.

In use, I'm down to just the two heads: Arca-Swiss P0 and Arca-Swiss P0h. I have the Arca-Swiss quick-interchange mounts on my two sets of legs: Manfrotto CX190pro3 and Feisol CT3442.

The Manfrotto legs with either head is light, fast, and amazingly stable with either Hasselblad 500CM+Sonnar 150mm or Leica SL with SL90-280mm. It kind of shocks me how stable this relatively inexpensive set of legs is, but of course it isn't all that tall. Good enough for a lot of casual work and quick in the field.

The Feisol legs with either head is light, slow, and absolutely rock stable; even at its full extension (without center column fitted) it is actually above my eye level (I'm 6' tall). The Feisol legs with head and column fitted pack down into a bag 19" x 5" diameter, which also has a small pocket on its side for the columnless mounting plate, tools, etc. Total package, packed with the P0h head, is 4.7 lbs on my kitchen scale.

The P0 head is smaller, lighter, and faster in use than the P0h, but I can't say that it's more or less stable ... they're both rated for much more load than I ever fit on them. I had my P0h modified to remove the top-pan detents so I can do smooth panorama movements with it ... it takes a little bit more time to set it up as a consequence (you have to align the degree indicator to make the pan-top orthogonal on the two axes, then adjust the goniometers), but the lack of a detent makes it both much smoother and much more precise on small adjustments. I left the light detents in the goniometers as I don't find it gets in the way of small, precise adjustments.

This setup works*well for everything I have in cameras (from iPhone to SL_with_bazooka to Light L16). It works so well that I see little real reason to change to anything else, although I have to admit a fascination for a set of wooden Berlebach legs as well as a set of RRS legs ...! Oh the grasping heart! :D

Regards the Light L16: I have a tiny Kirk Photo plate that fits it well. I am finding it can make an excellent photograph, but it takes some work to get the kind of quality I want out of its 50 MPixel max resolution. The Lumen software is very useful when working with a table top setup as it allows you to set up a non-linear "in focus" zone and process to that spec (outputting a DNG file for use in Lightroom). Regards its use on a tripod, it proves very easy on the P0 family heads and is light enough that having to flip the head over 90 degrees for a vertical format capture isn't an issue (although it does require that you re-frame, of course). I'm still exploring the L16's best use... I find it a fascinating and entertaining camera in use. :)

JonMo

Not sure about the reference number, as the new leveller will come with two panning pan: one at the bottom+ one at the top.... yours looks like it is only at the top, am i right ?
Can you tell us the price you paid for it?
Hi there, this one has panning both top and bottom.
And cost was approximately $1000 CAN

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
And then, right there, I end up $542 poorer (AS fliplock version) and waiting for a box from Rod Klukas ... :facesmack::chug::ROTFL:

jng

Oh, man. Want just turned into need. The Leveler would be perfect on top of my RRS 2-series tripod. The Cube would then live on my 3-series Gitzo. GAS relapse!

John

kdphotography

Oh, man. Want just turned into need. The Leveler would be perfect on top of my RRS 2-series tripod. The Cube would then live on my 3-series Gitzo. GAS relapse!

John
That's my plan. My "Mini-Cube" comes in on Friday, just in time for Iceland (Thank you, Rod!).

The AS Leveler "mini-Cube" is only 1 pound, and low profile. I think it will be perfect on my RRS TVC 24 legs. The KPS T5 will go into studio alongside the Cube on a camera stand. All of my tripod heads have Graham Welland quick head releases, so the AS Cube is easily placed onto my RRS TVC-33 tripod legs.

I'm hoping that the Mini-Cube alone gives me enough latitude for adjustments, otherwise I can easily add a RRS Leveling Base which I already have. If the Mini-Cube (without RRS leveling base) can replace the T5, that means I just shaved off 3/4 of a pound and in a much lower profile too.

Ken

hcubell

That's my plan. My "Mini-Cube" comes in on Friday, just in time for Iceland (Thank you, Rod!).

The AS Leveler "mini-Cube" is only 1 pound, and low profile. I think it will be perfect on my RRS TVC 24 legs. The KPS T5 will go into studio alongside the Cube on a camera stand. All of my tripod heads have Graham Welland quick head releases, so the AS Cube is easily placed onto my RRS TVC-33 tripod legs.

I'm hoping that the Mini-Cube alone gives me enough latitude for adjustments, otherwise I can easily add a RRS Leveling Base which I already have. If the Mini-Cube (without RRS leveling base) can replace the T5, that means I just shaved off 3/4 of a pound and in a much lower profile too.

Ken
In really cold weather, I would personally prefer to have the RRS levelling base mounted as I would think you could use it with warm gloves on. As much as I like using the knobs on the D4 and the P0H to make fine adjustments, I find it awkward to use the knobs with warm gloves on.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
A Novoflex Triobal and the Arca Cylinder (it's not cube shaped, after all) might be a great combo. I'll let you know... :cool:

Matt