The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

beano_z

The Triopod Pro75 also has a leveling base. I *so* don't need it, but GAS and need are total strangers. Even worse, it would be the gateway drug to a larger, heavier, and much more expensive system.

(I bought La Marzocco espresso cups so that I would HAVE to get the GS/3 to go with them :D )

--Matt
So it has the option for a leveling base? Why did you have to tell me that :facesmack::banghead::grin::grin:

Shashin

The best way to approach these threads is to squint your eyes so the text can't be read. Naturally, some mean people will post pictures, which are harder to ignore, but then you can just shut your eyes...

But never under any circumstances start a sentence with "if it only had..."

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Jesus guys, I almost went blind from looking at those prices.....and I thought RRS was expensive :cry:
One thing about the German / Swiss guys is that they are very proud of their gear and need the prices to sustain the quality of life in their countries. I’m always happy to pay a reasonable price for quality and the associated reason for it. I have a big problem with cheap Chinese knock offs that ultimately help nobody other than the owner of the company.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Jesus guys, I almost went blind from looking at those prices.....and I thought RRS was expensive :cry:
AND you can collect all the different leg sets. I did that with their smaller triopod.
The ultralight 5 section legs are great for hiking. I find 4 section legs the best compromise of height and small folded length. We’ll see....

And if a pro75 shows up, I’ll mark the pics NSFW. :D

Matt

Abstraction

One thing about the German / Swiss guys is that they are very proud of their gear and need the prices to sustain the quality of life in their countries. I’m always happy to pay a reasonable price for quality and the associated reason for it. I have a big problem with cheap Chinese knock offs that ultimately help nobody other than the owner of the company.
They help the photographers who wouldn't be able to afford such gear otherwise.

GrahamWelland

They help the photographers who wouldn't be able to afford such gear otherwise.
The problem with cheap is that it is always a race to the bottom. As a supplier of services (my self) this is NEVER a good thing. Eventually the good guys are priced out and innovation stops.

Abstraction

The problem with cheap is that it is always a race to the bottom. As a supplier of services this is NEVER a good thing. Eventually the good guys are priced out and innovation stops.
It's certainly a double edged sword, but one can argue: "What good is innovation if the majority of the photographers can't afford your stuff?" What good is quality if it's not affordable? It can be argued that the cheaper products bring these technologies to the masses to be used to produce good art.

I understand that it's not cut and dry, but there are different sides to be argued here. It can be argued that there will always be a market for the super luxury, super high quality items that are super priced, but if these guys can't sustain that business model, then chances are that their products are overpriced for what they are.

GrahamWelland

I’ll just add - do you prefer Walmart vs small town quality merchants making a living wage? I know where my loyalties are.

In the US there’s this under current of loss of industrial and service economy yet the predominant desire for cheap goods from the likes of walmart and other big box commoditized retailers. Guess what - mass industrial flight to cheap locations elsewhere and mega pissed off skilled workers (and the Trump nation). You can’t have it both ways.

Abstraction

I’ll just add - do you prefer Walmart vs small town quality merchants making a living wage? I know where my loyalties are.

In the US there’s this under current of loss of industrial and service economy yet the predominant desire for cheap goods from the likes of walmart and other big box commoditized retailers. Guess what - mass industrial flight to cheap locations elsewhere and mega pissed off skilled workers (and the Trump nation). You can’t have it both ways.
There is no right answer to this without specific numbers. It's like saying: "Do you prefer to have quality bread or people starving?" The answer is that I want good quality bread and I don't want people staving. The same goes for these types of products: I want the high quality of the Arca Swiss at prices that most photographers can afford. How to do it is way beyond the scope of this discussion, but that would be the ideal scenario.

GrahamWelland

Without wishing to get into a political discourse I (as a European) definity err on on the side of quality, artisan economy and value for the work involved in delivering superb quality goods. However, when I see markets focused on low cost mediocre quality products for the mass market I am extremely pissed off.

Abstraction

Without wishing to get into a political discourse I (as a European) definity err on on the side of quality, artisan economy and value for the work involved in delivering superb quality goods. However, when I see markets focused on low cost mediocre quality products for the mass market I am extremely pissed off.
There is a big difference between mediocre quality and low cost and reasonable quality affordability. It doesn't have to be either high quality super expensive or complete trash super cheap. There is definitely a market for the reasonably affordable.

Shashin

What good is innovation if the majority of the photographers can't afford your stuff?
Maybe if workers were paid for their value rather than thought of as costs to control to lower prices, those workers could eat cake too. Just a thought...

(Like Graham, not wanting this to get political...)

Abstraction

Maybe if workers were paid for their value rather than thought of as costs to control to lower prices, those workers could eat cake too. Just a thought...

(Like Graham, not wanting this to get political...)
Sure, but that's getting into the "how", which is way beyond the scope of this discussion. It's inevitably political and it deals with policy and perhaps even the way that our society is organized and its value set. That's a huge topic, which I'm not prepared to tackle.