The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

Shashin

Whether you go for a particular tripod or not, what I have found is that good gear lasts longer, not only in terms of durability, but also in the desire to be used. I still am using the carbon fiber tripod I bought around 1998, see above. It was expensive then. I started with a different ball head, but adequate. About six years ago, I picked up the Arca Swiss p0. I am not looking for anything else--despite the attempts at seduction by my "friends" here at GetDPI.

I am sure they are not laughing at me, but with me...

(Right???)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Dante missed - for now. The Pro75 is backordered and I managed to cancel the order. Part of that is I found an open-box Gitzo Giant from Amazon for <$1000, and there's nothing about the Pro75 that beats the Giant, other than beauty. (and it supports 143 lbs. instead of 88 lbs. If I ever have more than 15 lbs on the tripod, it will be a miracle.)

If only it came with ... No! I won't say it! :ROTFL:

--Matt

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
To the point about tripods being long term investments, my Gitzo SGT Giant was hellishly expensive when I bought it 15 years ago but it is still my mainstay platform that I use as my primary platform. In fact other than my latest Alpagon tripod, all of my tripods are several years old now. Quality stuff lasts. Buy quality and they last a lifetime.

MGrayson

I'm still using my first Arca Cube. And it was Jack's Cube before that. It's indestructible!

--Matt

GrahamWelland

pffft, well there goes my message. I was suggesting you just need one good tripod...
Well if I only had one tripod it would be my old SGT giant. A great investment even if not always practical for air travel.

ditto my Cube - another great investment along with my D4 😳

MGrayson

Dante missed - for now. The Pro75 is backordered and I managed to cancel the order. Part of that is I found an open-box Gitzo Giant from Amazon for <$1000, and there's nothing about the Pro75 that beats the Giant, other than beauty. (and it supports 143 lbs. instead of 88 lbs. If I ever have more than 15 lbs on the tripod, it will be a miracle.)

If only it came with ... No! I won't say it! :ROTFL:

--Matt
That "open box" special contained a series 3 tripod. Back it goes and off to B&H! :angry:

--Matt

GrahamWelland

I feel a “Who has the most battered Cube?” thread could be just around the corner.
Ok, I’m up for that. It’ll frighten the gear guys who treat their stuff as precious objects. Mine isn’t pretty any more. I’m on my second set of rubber grips.

Pemihan

Quality stuff lasts. Buy quality and they last a lifetime.
Amen to that! My RRS TVC-24L survived a 15 day river trip, complete with a couple of sand storms, through the Grand Canyon without a glitch. Just needed a damp cloth when I got back home.

MGrayson

So the net effect of Novoflex Pro75 lust is that I now have a Gitzo Giant. I opened it all the way up and thought "God, that's tall." Then I noticed that there was still another segment to go :bugeyes:. At least now the cube looks small and dainty on something.

The Gitzo 3543XLS (or whatever older number I have) and the giant have quick releases to share the Cube. The mini-cube will live on the Novoflex TrioBal, and the P0 on the TrioPod with teeny legs.

How am I doing, Graham? Enough tripods yet for Bronze membership? :ROTFL:

--Matt

Shashin

So the net effect of Novoflex Pro75 lust is that I now have a Gitzo Giant. I opened it all the way up and thought "God, that's tall." Then I noticed that there was still another segment to go :bugeyes:. At least now the cube looks small and dainty on something.

The Gitzo 3543XLS (or whatever older number I have) and the giant have quick releases to share the Cube. The mini-cube will live on the Novoflex TrioBal, and the P0 on the TrioPod with teeny legs.

How am I doing, Graham? Enough tripods yet for Bronze membership? :ROTFL:

--Matt
Matt, you do understand that "tripod" is not latin for buying three sets of legs? You can still buy one and have a tripod. Just like "cubed" is not shorthand for three heads...

But bless all of you for keeping the economy going...

(OK. I am guilty, but in my defense, my last set was bought in 1998 and the three others were bought between 1984 and that date. And my fifth one was given to me, which does not count.)

Shashin

Damn, where did this sixth one come from? And I assuming light stands are a different thing. Right?

I am going to stop looking...

MGrayson

Matt, you do understand that "tripod" is not latin for buying three sets of legs? You can still buy one and have a tripod. Just like "cubed" is not shorthand for three heads...

But bless all of you for keeping the economy going...
NOW you tell me. :facesmack:

(yes, I realize that it might be bad form going on about new toys, but I try to see that they eventually get to people who can use them and can't afford the stuff. Anyone want some MindShift bags? They're a great idea, but they just don't work on me. I'm sticking with f-stop.)