The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Graham,

Where’d you get those short spikes?

Steve
Actually I put on the combined rubber / spike combo:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...030VSF_GS5030VSF_Retractable_Spiked_Feet.html

The full length spikes have too much leverage on the bottom of the tripod in my experience and I broke a couple off when pushed into soft earth. The RRS spikes are excellent and I use those on one of my other RRS tripods but I'm pretty sure that they'd fit the shorter foot on my GT5561GTS beast. The combined feet allow me to use the tripod inside or on more fragile surfaces than I would with just spikes. (It help save the tailgate of my car too!)

GrahamWelland

Yeah. No interest in the long spikes.

Does the Series 3 leg section reducer kit work on the last leg section of the Giant? I'm having a hard time figuring out what to attach the foot to after removing the last section.

Thanks,

Matt
Yes GS3300 I believe. I checked my orders and it seems that I ordered both the GS3300 and GS1300 reducers so I'd have to see which I used in the end. Order from B&H and you can send back the one that doesn't fit the bottom leg. The spindly 1 section leg always worried me that I'd break one eventually although TBH they were very very rarely exposed or used.

DougDolde

I use the Series 3 Really Right Stuff with four section legs. Hardly ever use the smallest leg section.

Have a RRS leveling base on top and an Arca Swiss D4M head. I previously had a Cube but really like the D4M better.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Just because you can doesn't mean you should:

The Pro-75 base accepts all the Novoflex legs. Here are the tiny 5-section carbon legs in the "upside down" configuration, so a cube and a Leica S with zoom are hanging underneath. I was hoping for an arachnid look, but mosquito is closer. This is NOT recommended. :wtf: That isn't distortion - the legs are bending under the weight.

BTW, those legs, a P0, and a Leica S work fine for ~10 second exposures. I will never again mount them on the Pro-75. I promise.:chug:

Matt

Last edited:

Shashin

Matt, the cup holder at the top of the tripod looks very convenient... Why has no one done that before?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Just because you can doesn't mean you should:

The Pro-75 base accepts all the Novoflex legs. Here are the tiny 5-section carbon legs in the "upside down" configuration, so a cube and a Leica S with zoom are hanging underneath. I was hoping for an arachnid look, but mosquito is closer. This is NOT recommended. :wtf: That isn't distortion - the legs are bending under the weight.

BTW, those legs, a P0, and a Leica S work fine for ~10 second exposures. I will never again mount them on the Pro-75. I promise.:chug:

Matt
I never pull out the legs to full extend . I always leave about 5cm inside the bigger leg .
That makes the tripod much more stable but also reduces the hight . That of course applies for all
brands .
my 2 cents .

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I never pull out the legs to full extend . I always leave about 5cm inside the bigger leg .
That makes the tripod much more stable but also reduces the hight . That of course applies for all
brands .
my 2 cents .
I hope it was clear that that picture was meant strictly for humor/horror. Leaving extra inside the largest tube is also the easiest way to adjust the legs once they are set up.

Oh, I see - you mean at every leg joint. That's a very good idea.

Matt

Last edited:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Matt

I have marked all the legs of my tripods with a permanent marker . That makes it all so easy .

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I ordered my L60 two weeks ago and can't see anything at the horizon so far . :banghead:
Not even a delivery notice .

Shashin

A live L60 caught out in the wilds today. It wasn’t as tall or unwieldy on top of the RRS leveling base as I feared - works perfectly in fact on my Travel pod.
I am especially impressed with the mag-lev feature where your L-bracket on your camera floats above the head. Very cool. Now that is quick release, without the clamp!

GrahamWelland

I am especially impressed with the mag-lev feature where your L-bracket on your camera floats above the head. Very cool. Now that is quick release, without the clamp!
Darn ... that’s supposed to be top secret :)

The C$$on impostor ...

011b1e1829a040dc2ce07131db78ee464cea5d7cec.jpg

Last edited:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Now , the moment of truth has arrived . My dealer sent me an E-mail . The L60 has arrived .
So it will only take an other two or three days till the object of desire will be in my hands .
And I do hope that the blue CAPTURE INTEGRATION IN CARMEL rubber bands will fit :ROTFL:

Hausen

Now , the moment of truth has arrived . My dealer sent me an E-mail . The L60 has arrived .
So it will only take an other two or three days till the object of desire will be in my hands .
And I do hope that the blue CAPTURE INTEGRATION IN CARMEL rubber bands will fit :ROTFL:
Hopefully that means mine is ready in 2 weeks then!

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Hurrah . The object of desire has arrived . May I now please join the "minicube club" ? ? ?

But . . . . . a question to all owners of the L60 leveler . What is the little grey bottom lever for ? ? ?
There is no bottom panning . So , isn't that little lever obsolete ? ? ?

GrahamWelland

Mine has a rotating base. It's not obvious but it's there. Plus obviously the one on top. You may not notice it unless mounted to a tripod.