The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

jng

The L60 works great with the X1D, with the only drawback being tilt limited to +/- 10 degrees. At the moment it sits on my TVC-24 via a RRS dovetail and quick-release clamp and I also just mounted a clamp on my TQC-14 for when I want to go really light. A leveling base would be nice but I don't like the added stack height of the RRS 2-series leveler. The big brother Cube is mated to my 3-series aluminum Gitzo but it works well on the TVC-24 as well. No more tripods for me - Dante has his hooks in me for too many other things I want but don't strictly need!

John

kdphotography

As Todd has already pointed out, this is a dangerous thread.

John, take a look at the Novoflex over the RRS TVC-24 tripod with the L60 mini-cube combination. The built-in leveler of the Novoflex basically addresses the L60's +/-10 limitation and resolves it for the most part. It is maybe slightly smaller than the RRS TVC-24 and probably mere ounces heavier. It does not have the capacity of the RRS but with smaller mirror-less and similar platforms this is not an issue. (I'm not using the XF on the Novoflex).

This ain't a new lens or camera body, so I'm sure your wife would not object. You know you want it. And all the cool kids on the block have one :D:ROTFL:

Seriously, the next time you're down in Carmel (or I'm up in Berkeley)---come take a look at this combination of the Novoflex and L60 mini-cube. :thumbs: This is going to be my travel set to New Zealand later this month.

Definitely Dante approved.

Ken

jotloob

Subscriber Member
. . . . . . . . . . . No more tripods for me - Dante has his hooks in me for too many other things I want but don't strictly need!

John
The same is valid here for me . And the fact is , even if you don't want to hear it , images don't get better with any new tripod and leveler . So Dante , hear me , no more new tripod , no more new leveler and no more new camera . But back to the roots .
I am fed up with consumerism .:banghead:

dchew

The same is valid here for me . And the fact is , even if you don't want to hear it , images don't get better with any new tripod and leveler . So Dante , hear me , no more new tripod , no more new leveler and no more new camera . But back to the roots .
I am fed up with consumerism .:banghead:
Dear Admins:
Please ban Jurgan for a week. This is blasphemy.

Dante

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
And the fact is , even if you don't want to hear it , images don't get better with any new tripod and leveler
Images don't get better with new equipment. Which is just to say that "better images" is not the reason to get new equipment. Motivation, fun, experimentation, present to self, large project made easier, peer pressure, spouse remodeling kitchen ... those are the reasons for new equipment.

--Matt

stephengilbert

Or just being a gear head. I have a SnapOn torque wrench I haven't used in five years.

Images don't get better with new equipment. Which is just to say that "better images" is not the reason to get new equipment. Motivation, fun, experimentation, present to self, large project made easier, peer pressure, spouse remodeling kitchen ... those are the reasons for new equipment.

--Matt

jotloob

Subscriber Member

--Matt
Matt , I agree you are right .
So let me say then , I can't stand to be tempted so many times , again and again .
Dante , what do you do to me ? ? ? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Shashin

With all this material transfer among members here, has no one thought of a simple equipment swap program? I mean it sounds like you have most of it in place anyway...

Naturally, if we stopped buy stuff, GDP might fall a couple of points...

The Arce Swiss Cube is lovely. So when I found two suitable goniometers, I prepared a "Swiss Cube" clone myself. On top I have mounted a RRS quick release and on the bottom a Feisol PB-70 swiveling base connected to a RRS video head for +-15 degree quick leveling. Work as a charm, and easy to operate. Even in -20 degrees Celsius as we have experienced this winter here in Norway:
More pictures to be found on my blog, sorry for the text in Norwegian.
http://photopia.no/artikler/61-pan-tilt-stativhode

L1000807.jpg

Alaarx

I see a lots of recommendations for the Novoflex sticks here. For those that own both, do you find them comparable to RRS ergonomically and build quality wise? I know them fold up narrow and the low profile levelling base is a boon but i'm wondering how they stand up (ha!) in other metrics.

I'll be living in Germany soon and the local cover of Novoflex is definitely appealing but my TQC-14 has been through hell and come out spotless.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I have the Alpa kit (Novoflex) with leveling head. With the right short head I’d say that the build and leg locking of the Novoflex is superior. I have a number of RRS CF tripods and my biggest beef with all of them is how much I have to cinche down the leg locks vs gitzo or Novoflex.

Also so if comparing to the TQC-14 remember that you can also put the short tabletop legs on too. I really like the markings on the Novoflex legs too.

TimoK

I'm trying to join the party, but keep getting these notices from B&H:

Maybe the GAS will have passed by the time this is in stock.

Or I can buy the damned thing, keep it for a year, and then sell it on to Ken or Graham like I usually do. :ROTFL:

Joe
I'm not sure if You are looking for the right balancing head for your X1D. I'm about to purchase the smaller 60mm levelling base called Magick Balance.
Half the weight, one third(+) lower price, max. load 10kg, still in stock in B&H https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758211-REG/Novoflex_MBAL_MagicBalance_Leveling_Ball.html

Alaarx

I have the Alpa kit (Novoflex) with leveling head. With the right short head I’d say that the build and leg locking of the Novoflex is superior. I have a number of RRS CF tripods and my biggest beef with all of them is how much I have to cinche down the leg locks vs gitzo or Novoflex.

Also so if comparing to the TQC-14 remember that you can also put the short tabletop legs on too. I really like the markings on the Novoflex legs too.
I just wish Novoflex had something in the TQC14 / Gitzo traveller range of folded:max height genre. I do know that their use of an unusual centre column design pretty much prohibits this.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Today I visited NOVOFLEX and could have a hands on to the TrioPod PRO 75 tripod .
A fantastic tripod , very high quality and very appealing . I was very tempted to buy it , but found it too heavy for my use . 3175g/3205g . The funny thing is , when the tripod is put up you don't really feel the weight , but when you collapse it , you can feel the real weight . Although DANTE gently wispered into my ear to buy it anyway , I did not . But I brought back the MBAL-PRO75 .

Bildschirmfoto 2018-04-10 um 21.50.50 copy.jpg
That MagicBalance head now sits on top of my GITZO GT3543XLS with the ARCA C1 on top . I love it .
I might also get the smaller MBAL 60mm diameter for my TILT ALL tripod with the ARCA L60 on top . Just to please DANTE . :clap:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Steve

The TrioPod Pro75 plays in the same league like the GITZO GT4443LS/GT5543LS and the RRS TVC-44 .
There are slight differences in the thickest leg diameter , the carrying capacity , weight and price .
But that league is too big and heavy for me and I do not really have the need for such a strong tripod .
Although , I must admit , it would be nice to have one . Just to look at ? ? ? :banghead:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Question: what’s the advantage of a leveling base under a Cube? For me, the Cube *is* the leveler. Is it for multi-row panoramas? Something else?

Thanks,

Matt

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Question: what’s the advantage of a leveling base under a Cube? For me, the Cube *is* the leveler. Is it for multi-row panoramas? Something else?

Thanks,

Matt
Matt
I use this as a fast raw leveling and then the goniometers (here the CUBE C1) as fine leveling .

vjbelle

Jurgen...... don't blame you in the least for passing on the Pro 75 as 3200g/7lbs is a lot of weight for a tripod. I have struggled trying to find the right tripod for my purposes as light and rigidity are the main goals. So far the only candidate that has worked out well for me is the RRS TVC-23 which is much sturdier than anything similar from Gitzo. This allows me to travel light and hike a short distance without much effort. I realize this is in another world compared to what you are looking at but, you know, horses for courses.

Victor