The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

dchew

Question: what’s the advantage of a leveling base under a Cube? For me, the Cube *is* the leveler. Is it for multi-row panoramas? Something else?

Thanks,

Matt
Matt, this question came up a while ago on this thread. It is for panos. Here's the explanation from last year:
For those of us with techical cameras, there is less benefit from a panning feature below. But lacking the ability to rise/fall, if you angle the cube (or whatever) up to adjust the horizon position, you would want the panning to occur below. I think what Christopher really wants is both, like the current Cube sitting on top of a leveling base.

I just ran into this last week. A cohort was shooting with the XF, lining up a shot with more sky. He had the cube directly on a tripod, struggling to adjust the base of the cube to stitch a pano. We quickly swapped tripods since my cube was mounted on the RRS leveling base. He could level the bottom of the cube, aim the camera up a bit using the Cube pitch, then swing the base of the cube around to stitch without any roll.

I didn't care because I stitch by sliding the back.

Dave

Last edited:

2WK

Would you guys recommend the Carbon Novo Triopod for a 400mm on my 645z?
I want something solid to support this. While being reasonably light weight.

Of course I'll be using a long lens support but I just want to know about the legs.

Thanks!

narikin

Ok, well I just left my travel tripod on a bus in NJ, that I'll never see again. No guilt about buying another one now:

So - herewith requesting recommended travel tripod - lightish, fits in carry on bag (max 20" folded length) light head etc.
I own some big Gitzo legs and the classic Arca cube, so mini RRS legs and Arca mini cube? (whatever that is, its not on BH site) Novoflex? P0 Hybrid? I use Alpa MF gear, and Phase One XF.

Oh and I need it in my sweaty palms within12 days for some European work-travel. Sigh.

ps: We almost need a Glossary for this thread, with so many nicknames/abbreviations, (and Arca website being a p.i.t.a) Anyone care to supply one, with a few links?!

dchew

Ok, well I just left my travel tripod on a bus in NJ, that I'll never see again. No guilt about buying another one now:

So - herewith requesting recommended travel tripod - lightish, fits in carry on bag (max 20" folded length) light head etc.
I own some big Gitzo legs and the classic Arca cube, so mini RRS legs and Arca mini cube? (whatever that is, its not on BH site) Novoflex? P0 Hybrid? I use Alpa MF gear, and Phase One XF.

Oh and I need it in my sweaty palms within12 days for some European work-travel. Sigh.

ps: We almost need a Glossary for this thread, with so many nicknames/abbreviations, (and Arca website being a p.i.t.a) Anyone care to supply one, with a few links?!
RRS TVC 24L
Arca Swiss L60 (the mini cube)
Series 2 leveling base.

That's what I would do. But the legs don't meet your 20" requirement; they are 23". TVC 24 does at 19.1". Max height of that one is 49.4". Is that tall enough?

Dave

kdphotography

If for travel, I recommend the Novoflex. See, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...ex_triobalc2840_triopod_tripod_base_with.html

And add the AS L-60 Leveler aka Mini-Cube. Together this is an awesome travel package. I like the Mini-Cube when paired with the Novoflex triobalance 4 CF better than when paired with the RRS TVC-24. Either is a great solution for your Alpa kit.

But with the heavy Phase XF, I much prefer a larger tripod (RRS 3 series). The RRS-24 has more capacity, and although both Novoflex Triobalance 4 CF and RRS-24 can handle the weight of the Phase XF, this isn't the ideal set-up to use with the Phase XF on a regular basis, imho.

Ken

narikin

Thanks one and all for the tips.

Usually for light travel a center column adds the height required in a smaller package, but those are a big no-no for stability. Is there a worthwhile trade-off to be had here?

AS L60 is on order already...

Last edited:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I used the TrioPod P0 combo with the tiny 5 section legs and it held a Leica S fine for some 4 second exposures. Wouldn’t use those legs for anything heavier or long exposure in wind, though. VERY compact and light setup.

Interchangeable legs are a big plus of the Novoflex system.

Matt

jng

For carry-on bag convenience, I'd substitute the TVC-24 for the TVC-24L, and go with the L60 geared head and Series 2 leveling base as Dave has recommended. Depending upon your height, the shorter TVC-24 may not pose a problem.

Joe
Ditto. The TVC-24 fits neatly in my carry-on rollaboard with the head removed (I use a RRS quick-release clamp attached to the tripod + dovetail on the head base, a la Graham Welland). The leveling base head will add some height so the total length of this combination may not fit as easily in your bag. In any case, I am somewhat vertically-challenged so don't really miss the extra height of the TVC-24L.

Dante, er, Ken: what's the folded length of your Triobal set-up (minus head), and which legs are you using - 2840 or 2844 (or neither)?

John

jng

Thanks, Ken. Definitely not helping my ongoing case of GAS...

John

P.S. It seems from my quick web "research" that one advantage of the Novoflex tripods is that one can swap out the legs for the beefier 3940's to make a more stable platform. Correct? And would this affect the overall load capacity or is that limited by the leveling head?

daf

One question regarding the triobalance novoflex/alpa tripod :
The leveller on the top is probably the same parts, as the "magic balance novoflex" and this is rated for max 10KG ... coming from Arca, this feel very low capacity (for exemple the P0 is rated at 30kg).
how sturdy it is when you put a medium/large camera on it ? Does it feel really safe ?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
One question regarding the triobalance novoflex/alpa tripod :
The leveller on the top is probably the same parts, as the "magic balance novoflex" and this is rated for max 10KG ... coming from Arca, this feel very low capacity (for exemple the P0 is rated at 30kg).
how sturdy it is when you put a medium/large camera on it ? Does it feel really safe ?
It is sturdy but personally I find the narrow leg mount at the top a little too unstable with the leveling base to trust a heavy MF or anything long. With an XF for example releasing the level will allow the whole mass to shift and if the legs are in the normal vs wide stance there is a definite risk of the whole thing tipping over. The max I put on mine is my Cambo Actus DB or Fuji GFX.

I class the triobalance as being somewhat of a travel tripod and wish the legs converged a little wider for better stability. A couple of cm would make all the difference imho.

kdphotography

"Minor addiction"?!! You need a 12-step program Dan. Ken and Graham are card-carrying members. :ROTFL:

Joe
Visa Black Card or American Express Platinum card? Both are accepted for dual membership use here in Dante's world. :thumbup: :chug:

Dan, Dan, Dan. I need to catch up with you. You make me look like an amateur. :ROTFL:

ken