The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

Don Libby

I need to stop reading this thread. Ya sure I do. Or, I'll just blame by brother Ken Doo as that just makes so much more sense.In case the above is too subtle a hint - I broke down and ordered a Novoflex TrioBalance 3-section carbon fiber 61.2" tripod for my new mini cube. This is very close to the height of my RRS tripod and will be going to Scotland next month. This way I only have to bring the mini cube and leave the P0 at home. Less space, less weight, less cash in my wallet.As much as I blame Ken I'm certain he can do the same. The good news is that I haven't gotten a new tripod in about 3-years.Now if the GF250 and extender will ship I'll be in the poor house for awhile.Maybe I can give blood.....

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
How many legs does it take to make a tripod...

I am glad I don't have to carry that. I pity the poor donkey. But I guess carbon fiber is better than aluminum, but there comes a point it is just diminishing returns...
There are two tripods in that picture. While any set of legs can go on either base, the only ones you'd use on both bases are the short sticks with the balls on the ends. The two thinner sets of carbon legs go on the triobal, depending if you need very light/compact or not, and the big legs go on the Pro-75. The short sticks are for leaning against a wall (one short, two long) or for table-top use (three short).

--Matt

danlindberg

I know, I know...it looks a bit over the top and halfcrazy. But to tell the truth, there is only one set of legs that I rarely use and those are the longer, thinner ones.

The new Triopod Pro 75 is awsome and in combo with the Pro 75 legs it is absolutely rocksolid! A pano module on top and I am good to go for landscapes with heavy cam. It is easy to put on just about right resistance on the balance head and level the cam. Plus it locks down securly.
If I am doing more precision work, such as interior/exterior architectural shots, then I simply add the two Gon modules and have precision movements.

The smaller Triopod head and the tiny tiny five section legs (folded length 31cm) I also use a lot. But in specific circumstances. I drive a small adventure bike and explore difficult to get places...then I need to pack very light and my favourite minimalistic setup is an Alpa TC + Helvetar 75 + Credo 60. That's it camerawise! And I can then fit inside the backpack the tiny 5 section legs + the small triobalance head. Obviously there are limitations in both sturdiness and height but so much better than not having any support at all. And I do what Jurgen wrote as well, I only extend 90% of each leg section which improves stability drastically.

I also always bring one tripod mini-mini leg. Weighs nothing and takes no space. This has proven a brilliant solution in very awkard and tight positions. Putting one mini leg on and you can get close and personal with a wall, large rock, fence, treetrunk, car or whatever...

The system as a whole is amazingly flexible and I pick whatever I need for the day!

Geoff

Driving us crazy! So much on this lovely gear, it makes those of us who don't need it, want it!

On the minimal setup, a small trip (via air) to visit son at college. Took an Alpa and a minimal Mephoto CF 4 leg small tripod with an integral head. Not in the league of major gear at all, but it fit in the bag. Don't extend the bottom legs (the really tiny ones), and sometimes even rest the hand on the camera to steady it... but it worked.

All to say, sometimes modest is OK too....Until you show us more shots like above.

Shashin

There are two tripods in that picture. While any set of legs can go on either base, the only ones you'd use on both bases are the short sticks with the balls on the ends. The two thinner sets of carbon legs go on the triobal, depending if you need very light/compact or not, and the big legs go on the Pro-75. The short sticks are for leaning against a wall (one short, two long) or for table-top use (three short).

--Matt
Actually, I wasn't being that serious... :toocool: There was once a time that when you bought a tripod you only had the choice of the three legs it came with. Naturally, a dodecapod, and I assume tripod is from the Greek, is a bit of a mouthful and probably not your best choice to create consumer identification. Legs might simplify it, but then there is the association with the 80's pantyhose brand that was packaged in a plastic egg. :grin:

Pemihan

I'm banned from this thread!

Shashin

Yeah, that really works. You remember when God told Adam and Eve not to eat the apple...

ejpeiker

Reminds me of the time I posted:

I will not fly my drone in the house!

That didn't work either until I mangled a door and wiped out some props :shocked:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Extreme low height shooting with full movements capability.
Dan,

I tried that setup as a joke. But with the legs collapsed it makes a lot of sense. The 5 section legs weigh nothing and can come along just in case.

Thanks for the idea,

Matt

med

Now here is the million dollar question..... for those who have experienced/own both Novoflex and RRS legs, if you had yet to purchase your first set of "big boy/girl" tripod legs for tech camera use (and bigger.... for large format use) would you go with a Novoflex PRO75 along with the appropriate legs, or an RRS 3/4 series set? They both look to offer outstanding stability, but the Novoflex looks like it wins the day when looking at overall system flexibility, and hit to wallet. Does the flexibility come at the expense of usability and/or stability?

med

The expense definitely comes in terms of stability--these prices drive me crazy!
Thanks! You just potentially saved me a few hundred $$$ by steering me away from Novoflex.

Or, you potentially tripled the amount I am going to spend on tripods over the next two years by causing me to buy a TVC-34L, love it but always wonder what the Novoflex had to offer and then buy 1 or 2 of them as well.

Either way, thanks!

dj may

Sometimes I am so not with it. For more than ten years, the constant in my photographic expeditions has been a Berlebach wooden tripod. This has been with 4x5 monorail view camera, field view camera, 6x6, Leica M9 and M-P 240, and Leica S. I guess I did not know what I was missing ;).

Seriously, I have done longer exposures in vibrating environments, such as 45 seconds on the Academia Bridge in Venice, with constant foot traffic, without problem. Although I am interested in the flexibility of use of the Novoflex Triobal, and its compactness for travel, I wonder if it would perform as well in vibrating environments. I have done work in windy mountains, on bridges with trains, trams and car traffic as well as pedestrian bridges, where I could feel the vibrations through my boots.

On a side note, I have no lack of interest from passers by, who stop to talk to me because of the wooden tripod. In Iceland, a team from Adobe was shooting some promotional video and one guy was so intrigued by my Leica S on a wooden tripod with RRS ballhead. Just last week I was shooting the mountains across the Lake of Zurich from a heavily traveled street, and a photographer stopped to ask me if I was concerned about the vibration from the traffic. He took a photo of the tripod because he is interested in buying one.

Can you users of Novoflex comment if you have done work in these kinds of environments? The Triobal looks like a good travel solution.

Jesse

John_McMaster

I use a Gitzo carbon fibre tripod with a Cube on the top most of the time. However for any long lens (300mm and longer) I swop over to the larger Zone VI wooden tripod with a Wimberley head, far less vibration...

john

dj may

I use a Gitzo carbon fibre tripod with a Cube on the top most of the time. However for any long lens (300mm and longer) I swop over to the larger Zone VI wooden tripod with a Wimberley head, far less vibration...

john
Hello John,

Do you switch as a precaution, or have you experienced bad results with the Gitzo?

Jesse