The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

John_McMaster

I find the Cube seems to wobble more with the leverage of the longer lenses (from Mamiya 645 300/2.8 APO up to Leica APO Telyt Modular 800/f5.6), also they all are used outside so the ground spikes on the Zone VI are usually beneficial...

john

danlindberg

I don't have longer lenses and I do not shoot in urban settings with tube/train/heavy traffic vibrations on the ground, so no experience there.

However, before I had the Pro 75 setup I always without exception used the smaller and less windcatching Alpa TC when doing long exposures and now with the Pro 75 I can happily use the Alpa MAX for 30 sec exposures with tack sharp static objects results. This is a huge benefit since I now can shoot with movements.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I just had a quick look at the astro community on telescope supports. Their consensus is that tripod design is more important than material, and that wood, fiberglass, CF, aluminum, and steel can all be used - with various weight/price tradeoffs. Their designs all have MUCH bigger spiders and the legs are V-shaped, spreading to 6-8 inches at the top.

If torsional rigidity and vibration reduction are your goals, I'd say those guys know best.

Here's a picture, and there were many similar:

--Matt

Last edited:

narikin

ok, next question - tripod strap or bags - any tips to carry these?
I'd like either a lightweight bag or simply a strap from top to bottom.

I'm now on the Novoflex TRIOBALC2840 kit.
thanks

dj may

thanks
For my Berlebach, I use a climbing rope bag. It is unpadded. I use an Optech tripod shoulder strap wrapped around the tripod in bag. When I get to location, I place the bag in my backpack, and then attach the strap to the tripod for further hiking.

How is your Triobal for long exposures in vibrating environments. See my earlier post.

Jesse
M1008830-Lowres.jpg

Shashin

If torsional rigidity and vibration reduction are your goals, I'd say those guys know best.
It is called confirmation bias. Yes, you can build a tripod like that and it will be very stable, but that does not mean other specifications are not as stable or even more stable.

I would probably use Takahashi as a good sample for stable design: Mounts & Tripods | Takahashi America

Those tripods are extremely stable, but not that much different from a photographic tripod. But I would not use a telescope mount for general photography, it is too inefficient. BTW, the spread of a telescope tripod is not that different from a photographic tripod in real terms. The center of gravity for a telescope mount is much higher.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
It is called confirmation bias. Yes, you can build a tripod like that and it will be very stable, but that does not mean other specifications are not as stable or even more stable.

I would probably use Takahashi as a good sample for stable design: Mounts & Tripods | Takahashi America

Those tripods are extremely stable, but not that much different from a photographic tripod. But I would not use a telescope mount for general photography, it is too inefficient. BTW, the spread of a telescope tripod is not that different from a photographic tripod in real terms. The center of gravity for a telescope mount is much higher.
Of course, you can use any design if you aren't concerned with weight (the Takahashi mounts look really nice!). The biggest telescope I used* was on a single VERY thick post. I'm not advocating a telescope tripod for photographic use, as most of us aren't shooting >1000mm lenses.

My point, perhaps left too unstated, is that the success of the Berlebach, Zone VI, and other wood tripods may be more the leg design than the leg material. I do not own, nor do I plan to get such a design, as I've never been tripod limited. Indeed, I have WAY more tripod than I can use.

Come to think of it, that's true for all my equipment :facesmack:

--Matt

* 24" - lens cap looked like a garbage can lid. Every telescope needs a Sun filter. Most have a Moon filter. This one had a Jupiter filter :bugeyes:

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The expense definitely comes in terms of stability--these prices drive me crazy!
Other than when hiking distances with it, I have never regretted the $1300 I spent on my Gitzo SGT-5562 giant tripod. Ditto the CUBE and D4 heads. The jury is still out on the rest of the gear ... but L60 seems a winner too.

Of course many would question my mental stability overall though.

GrahamWelland

I prefer unpadded bags as they don't have the bulk or weight of the padded counterparts.

thats my tripod bag too. The padding is at the zipped end. However, I ALWAYS remove the head and pack the end with bubble wrap or clothing. 2x tripods and a pair of hiking sticks fit just fine.

GrahamWelland

thanks
Air travel/back of truck, tripod bags. In the field - definitely strap for me. The bag is just plain inconvenient IMHO.

GrahamWelland

anybody knows the lightest geared head for my x1d ( with max. 120mm ) ?
Arca D4 or L60 if you don’t need full range..

Manfrotto 410 isn’t far off but you’ll be dealing with those generic (horrible imho) plates if go that route.

Last edited:

hcubell

anybody knows the lightest geared head for my x1d ( with max. 120mm ) ?
Arca Swiss P0 Hybrid. I am in Italy now using it with my X1D with everything from an XCD 45mm to an HC 300mm with the XH adapter. Light weight and more than adequate stability.

JohnBrew

Now here is the million dollar question..... for those who have experienced/own both Novoflex and RRS legs, if you had yet to purchase your first set of "big boy/girl" tripod legs for tech camera use (and bigger.... for large format use) would you go with a Novoflex PRO75 along with the appropriate legs, or an RRS 3/4 series set? They both look to offer outstanding stability, but the Novoflex looks like it wins the day when looking at overall system flexibility, and hit to wallet. Does the flexibility come at the expense of usability and/or stability?
I have the RRS TV3 for three or four years now. I eventually bought the leveling base also. The Novoflex intrigues me. I've become very tired of the RRS legs becoming loose over the course of a shoot. And for carbon fiber I find it heavy. I am most definitely ready for something else.

Pemihan

I have the RRS TV3 for three or four years now. I eventually bought the leveling base also. The Novoflex intrigues me. I've become very tired of the RRS legs becoming loose over the course of a shoot. And for carbon fiber I find it heavy. I am most definitely ready for something else.
John, I have the same problem and contacted RRS. They send me a set of replacement bolts (for free) that is supposed to take care of the problem. I just haven't gotten around to install them yet. They call it a axle tune-up kit which include a complete set of new axle bolts with fresh nylon patches.
Also take a look at this video, at around 8:00 he talks about it: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/tripod-maintenance

tcdeveau

The TVC-33 is also my main tripod. It’s served me well over the years but I also need the bolt upgrade as one of my legs gets loose and requires tightening. Now that the X1D is my primary camera, I’m also finding it a bit overkill and getting tired of the weight.

Thanks to the enablers in this thread, ive got a novoflex triobal mini with legs on the way. I went with the Alpa branded version because it was essentially the same price as the novoflex version, but it also comes with an Arca-compatible clamp on top of the leveler whereas with the novoflex version I think you have to buy it separately. I also like the color scheme better (its black instead of blue/grey) and it gave me a chance to support my local dealer (Capture Integration) for a change.

I had considered the RRS TVC-24, but they seem to be backordered/discontinued at the moment. I think RRS is in the process of moving shop from California to Utah, so it could also be awhile before things that arent in stock get in stock. The integrated leveling base of the novoflex is a nice distinguishing feature over the TVC-24, as are the legs that can be unscrewed (for travel purposes). Looking forward to giving it a go when it arrives.

ejpeiker

I had considered the RRS TVC-24, but they seem to be backordered/discontinued at the moment. I think RRS is in the process of moving shop from California to Utah, so it could also be awhile before things that arent in stock get in stock. The integrated leveling base of the novoflex is a nice distinguishing feature over the TVC-24, as are the legs that can be unscrewed (for travel purposes). Looking forward to giving it a go when it arrives.
RRS just launched their new Mk II series of tripods this morning.