The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

Hausen

I am travelling super light to see my son in the weekend and hopefully shoot some long exposures under a couple of bridges in his adopted home town of Christchurch. My L60 on a Manfrotto table top tripod. Please excuse the iPhone pic.

Attachments

Frankly

Here's the new Mark II Really Right Stuff TVC-24L. I've had the earlier 24L and 34L and this isn't much different except the leg locks are supposed to be easier to clean. It has some 1/4-20 sockets so you could mount other gadgets off the side of the apex (like an iPhone mount for tethering). And the leg shape allows you to switch to a smaller apex to reduce the folded size and weight (but I prefer having a column for portraiture)(set it for the shortest person, raise it quickly for the taller ones, in theory).

It's also got room for a QD socket so you can use your Magpul strap off your modern sporting rifle. I'm think of adding male QDs on the side of my pack (thread into the ski straps) so I can quickly click the tripod onto the pack, no fuss no muss.

I'm selling my 300/2.8 in favor of the 300/4pf so my largest lens is only 9" long, so I think this should handle all of my photo needs for the future.

Truth is I really like having the multitool mounted in the column, it's slick.

Those Rockclaw feet are the best yet. I should find rubber furniture caps for the occasional nice floor situation.

And it holds a $50 plastic screwdriver in the column!

Anyway amongst this crowd it's like bragging about my new Corvette at a Ferrari convention but I like RRS.

Attachments

Last edited:

Pemihan

Those Rockclaw feet are the best yet. I should find rubber furniture caps for the occasional nice floor situation.
I have the original 24L and almost exclusively use it with the RRS spikes but miss some rubber caps to put on the as you do with the rockclaw fees. I asked RRS if they would consider to make those as I feel there should be a market for it. The reply was that the tripods comes with rubber feet and I could just switch over when needed. Of course that's true but it would be much less of a hassle to just put rubber caps on the spikes. Maybe I should just get some 3D printed!

Last edited:

Frankly

I have the original 24L and almost exclusively use with the RRS spikes but miss some rubber caps to put on the as you do with the rockclaw fees. I asked RRS if they would consider to make those as I feel there should be a market for it. The reply was that the tripods comes with rubber feet and I could just switch over when needed. Of course that's true but it would be much less of a hassle to just put rubber caps on the spikes. Maybe I should just get some 3D printed!
It would be ironic to start a small business to supplement their products since that is how they started... by making the camera plates that Arca-Swiss was too snobbish to get around to doing.

But yes, I prefer to Loctite my feet onto the tripod since it is easy to overlook whether they are still tight every time you go out. Having some inexpensive "slippers" would be nice. With the RockClaw design I think something off the hardware store shelf may work and that is good since the sharp edges will cut through.

For the Spikes, which I have also owned, perhaps the rubber tips for canes and hiking poles would work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Reinfor...080196&hash=item1cab9899dc:g:0QUAAOSwR29ZEexG

However I know you need to justify the 3D printer and zealots would pay $50 for them ;-)

Attachments

Last edited:

rjp85

This is a bit off-topic in terms of tripod legs, but I wanted to share this info:

Hejnarphoto now has a new clamp that has a non-threaded center hole for a 3/8-16 screw. I asked him to make one at the beginning of this year, and a few days ago, he alerted me that the new clamp is now available in his store. This clamp is great for the FLM ball heads that have a 3/8 internal thread. You might find some other uses for it as well.

This means, that if you have a head with a 3/8-16 female thread, like an FLM Ball Head, for example, you can now screw the clamp directly onto/into the head with a 3/8-16 screw, from the top down, INSTEAD of spinning a clamp onto a 3/8-16 stud that you have sticking out of the ball head, and using loctite, etc.

To prevent the clamp from twisting, I use rubber cork washers, but you could also just use some red loctite on the screw to make it completely permanent.

I don't work for Hejnarphoto, but I sure buy a lot of this stuff. The clamp can be found here: 2.375 Inch Jaw Length with 3/8-16 screw mount

Pemihan

It would be ironic to start a small business to supplement their products since that is how they started... by making the camera plates that Arca-Swiss was too snobbish to get around to doing.

But yes, I prefer to Loctite my feet onto the tripod since it is easy to overlook whether they are still tight every time you go out. Having some inexpensive "slippers" would be nice. With the RockClaw design I think something off the hardware store shelf may work and that is good since the sharp edges will cut through.

For the Spikes, which I have also owned, perhaps the rubber tips for canes and hiking poles would work?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Reinfor...080196&hash=item1cab9899dc:g:0QUAAOSwR29ZEexG

However I know you need to justify the 3D printer and zealots would pay $50 for them ;-)
Thanks for the link, that might just work - but you're right, that would make my justification for getting a 3D printer less valid :loco::loco::loco:

Pemihan

Let me know when you get your new 3D printer.

I'll take three of those rock claw rubber caps, please.

:ROTFL:
Sure thing Ken, that would be $79.95 plus tax and shipping :D
Anyone else? I'm taking pre-orders (payed up front of course) :cool:

Last edited:

tcdeveau

This guy came in today. It’s a good bit smaller than my RRS TVC-33/BH-55 setup and should make a nice travel tripod. The integrating leveling base is pretty slick.

F4CA6AB1-0D60-4D1D-A0FB-707CC4E24B47.jpeg

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
That's pretty sweet. Thanks for causing me yet another GAS relapse. :banghead:

John
John

Aren't you glad that I couldn’t make it last week with my truck load of gear and gadgets? :cool:

The Alpa/Novoflex legs and Arca L60 make a nice combo too btw

Last edited:

tcdeveau

John

Aren't you glad that I couldn’t make it last week with my truck load of gear and gadgets? :cool:

The Alpa/Novoflex legs and Arca G60 make a nice combo too btw
Oh the Arca L60 will make it into my bag some day. I even set aside a spot for it in my new camera bag :p

Almost pulled the trigger on one at CI when I ordered the head and legs but decided I’ve treated myself enough lately. My wife did just remind me that Father’s Day is next week though.....

usm

Re: The great tripod & head thread

Hi there,
I have an Arca p0 hybrid on Novoflex Triopod. Well, it dropped and landed on one of the two knobs. Now, it is very hard to turn the knob. Maybe the Spindel is bent?

I am traveling, so I can’t send it to Arca.
Any suggestions? Thanks.

jng

John

No, we missed you and there were plenty of bad influences surrounding me in any case! Let's just say that I returned home with a bad case of GAS.

The Alpa/Novoflex legs and Arca L60 make a nice combo too btw
Yes this is the current object of my gear desire after using the L60 on top of my RRS 3-series legs w/leveling base last week. In fact the Cube may not make it out of the house after this, certainly not when venturing very far from the car. I think that the Alpa Triobal that Todd recently acquired would be pretty sweet. Help.

John

Abstraction

Just to bring this great discussion down to earth a bit, has anyone tried the Benro geared head? What are your impressions? How does it stack up against Manfrotto 405?

dchew

Just to bring this great discussion down to earth a bit, has anyone tried the Benro geared head? What are your impressions? How does it stack up against Manfrotto 405?
No experience with either. Just looking at the web specs, the Monfrotto is almost twice the weight as the Benro and doesn’t use AS plates (at over 3lbs it’s heavier than the Cube).

Dave

Godfrey

LOL!

I've been saying for some time that I was going to downsize my gear, but I think I went a little too far this time:

Feisol T-15 Carbon Fiber Tabletop Tripod (17.5 lb load rating!)
Sirui ball and pan head
ReallyRightStuff iPhone mount
Apple iPhone 8 Plus

First shot:

(Yes, I still have my other tripods and A-S Monoball and Hybrid P0 ... :D)

G

awslee

Have been following this thread and found the TrioBalance very interesting. Can someone advise me other than the ball head movements, what is the big pros and cons between the P0 Hybrid and L60 to be used with the TrioBalance?

jng

As a ballhead the P0 hybrid provides a greater range of movement, but is taller and somewhat less stable compared to the L60.

The L60 is limited to +/- 10 degrees of tilt along each axis. The Triobal's leveling base can compensate for this to some limited extent, but overall tilt movements are still somewhat limited.

I would say that using the P0 obviates the main advantage of the Triobal's leveling base, as the leveling function is basically built into the head itself.

From my own experience in using the L60 on top of a Really Right Stuff leveling base, this is a great solution that combines a pretty good range of movement with rock-solid stability in a compact package. YMMV, of course.

Hope this helps.

John