The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

Don Libby

Just returned from a trip to Scotland where I used the Novoflex TrioBalance in the field for the first time. Great setup. I shot indoors one night and needed to switch one of the legs over to the smaller mini tripod leg and found it worked great. We walked up to the Man of Storr using the tripod legs as walking sticks after stuffing the main part in my bag. Now I'm thinking of getting the gismo attachments to actually turn the legs into regular walking sticks. We have a lot of looks with the tripod wondering I guess what the heck we had.

ejpeiker

I recently tested the UniqBall iQuick3pod (silly name, very serious tripod). Its built in leveling base's range of motion is only limited by the height of the head when it hits the leveling base frame. For something like the L60 that would be in the neighborhood of 45 degrees. The tripod itself, the largest model, is in the same size, weight and construction class as an RRS TVC-3X or Gitzo 5 series. My review is pending availability with the source that contracted me to review the tripod but I went away impressed. Personally I shoot with a Gitzo 4 series, RRS TVC 25L, and Feisol travel tripod for reference. If my Gitzo 4 wasn't relatively new, and if the iQuick3pod 40.4 (the largest model) was a bit taller, I would go to this along with an L60 for my medium format work. Here's the specs:
- Load capacity: 99.2lb
- Maximum height: 59.8"
- Minimum height: 3.7"
- Folded length: 22.6"
- Weight: 5.7lb
- 10x Carbon Fiber Construction
- Integrated leveling base with bubble level
- 3 position leg locks
- non slip twist locks

Picture below...
P.S. - I was not paid nor do I have any affiliation with Uniqball. I do have an affiliation with two of the USA sources for this tripod but would never in a million years allow that to influence my opinion. Will post back when the review is available.
iQuick3Pod_04.jpg

kdphotography

If the UniqBall iQuick3pod is in the same size/build class as a RRS 3 series----then the diminutive Arca Swiss L60 Mini Cube would literally look (and feel) like a toy on top. I thought the L-60 was a bit small on the RRS TVC-24 as it is, though it works fine. I do like the built-in leveling base idea though, as it does give the L-60 the extra latitude for adjustment. The Novoflex works well in this regard, though the TVC-24 is more stable.

ejpeiker

If the UniqBall iQuick3pod is in the same size/build class as a RRS 3 series----then the diminutive Arca Swiss L60 Mini Cube would literally look (and feel) like a toy on top. I thought the L-60 was a bit small on the RRS TVC-24 as it is, though it works fine. I do like the built-in leveling base idea though, as it does give the L-60 the extra latitude for adjustment. The Novoflex works well in this regard, though the TVC-24 is more stable.
Yes but the narrower in diameter the head on top is, the more range of motion you have in the leveling head. Add the L60's own range of motion to it and you now have something with quite a bit of angling capability without needing to attach a ballhead with the L60 on top. It still won't go to a full 90 degrees though....

jng

Ken,

Although it does look a little goofy (like the tiny-headed kid in the old Far Side cartoons), the L60 on top of the RRS 3-series tripod w/leveling base works great. There's sufficient range of motion as long as extreme angles aren't required and rock solid stability from the beefier sticks. Recently I found myself shooting in a howling wind with the tripod legs vibrating like a tuning fork, but the images came out tack sharp (the lighthouse pic I posted in the Fun with MF Images thread). I hadn't fully appreciated what a beast the Cube is until I swapped it out for the L60 when I was tromping around the redwoods last week.

Re: Triobal vs. TVC-24 - interesting that you find the latter to be a more stable platform. Do tell. And this may be a first for you - dis-enabling a gratuitous photo gear purchase!

John

Godfrey

That UniqBall tripod looks great but is probably way overkill for my needs.

I'm moving to lighter and lighter equipment: The P0 Hybrid on either of my legs is very stable for my current gear. I've had no problems with vibration or movement, either when using my widest or longest lenses, or highest magnification macro work. It is kinda tall and I thought that might be a problem for a bit, but it hasn't worked out that way. I be happy! :)

G

jotloob

Subscriber Member
That UniqBall iQUICK3pod looks to be a great tripod .
I looked up the details and found it is very similar to my GITZO GT3542XLS but the UniqBall leg diameters are bigger and so it will probably be much more stable . It is available in Europe and the price is very attractive . Thanks for the hint .
I have been working with the ARCA L60 now quite often . Very nice and comfortable . But I still find the ARCA CUBE is the absolute top of geared
heads and my preferred head . You just can't the original .

ejpeiker

That UniqBall iQUICK3pod looks to be a great tripod .
I looked up the details and found it is very similar to my GITZO GT3542XLS but the UniqBall leg diameters are bigger and so it will probably be much more stable . It is available in Europe and the price is very attractive . Thanks for the hint .
I have been working with the ARCA L60 now quite often . Very nice and comfortable . But I still find the ARCA CUBE is the absolute top of geared
heads and my preferred head . You just can't the original .
UniqBall is a Hungarian company - FYI! Their heads have quite a following among wildlife photographers. The bigger model I referred to is significantly beefier than a 3 series Gitzo, more like a 5 series.

It's available in the US too! :)

I haven't tried it but the cube is very large and may interfere with the leveler on the tripod if the corners of the cube stick out past the diameter of the leveling plate. However this would be easily mitigated with a spacer between the cube and the leveling platform.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I recently tested the UniqBall iQuick3pod (silly name, very serious tripod). Its built in leveling base's range of motion is only limited by the height of the head when it hits the leveling base frame. For something like the L60 that would be in the neighborhood of 45 degrees. The tripod itself, the largest model, is in the same size, weight and construction class as an RRS TVC-3X or Gitzo 5 series. My review is pending availability with the source that contracted me to review the tripod but I went away impressed. Personally I shoot with a Gitzo 4 series, RRS TVC 25L, and Feisol travel tripod for reference. If my Gitzo 4 wasn't relatively new, and if the iQuick3pod 40.4 (the largest model) was a bit taller, I would go to this along with an L60 for my medium format work. Here's the specs:
- Load capacity: 99.2lb
- Maximum height: 59.8"
- Minimum height: 3.7"
- Folded length: 22.6"
- Weight: 5.7lb
- 10x Carbon Fiber Construction
- Integrated leveling base with bubble level
- 3 position leg locks
- non slip twist locks

Picture below...
P.S. - I was not paid nor do I have any affiliation with Uniqball. I do have an affiliation with two of the USA sources for this tripod but would never in a million years allow that to influence my opinion. Will post back when the review is available.
View attachment 134629
I could not find the figure for the diameter of the red leveling plate , not even on the UniqBall website , but I assume that it is 70mm(+/-) as it is for the GITZOs .
Yes , then you will need a spacer to get advantage of the leveling when using an ARCA CUBE C1 as your head . The spacers hight would depend on leveling 10 or 15 degrees (or more ?)
Making a spacer for my own use would not be a problem for me , but for those , who can't , but want to use their C1 , this tripod then would be a "no go" .
I am very much tempted to get that iQUICK3pod . I compare it to the GITZO 5 series , but the price is much more appealing .

ejpeiker

I could not find the figure for the diameter of the red leveling plate , not even on the UniqBall website , but I assume that it is 70mm(+/-) as it is for the GITZOs .
Yes , then you will need a spacer to get advantage of the leveling when using an ARCA CUBE C1 as your head . The spacers hight would depend on leveling 10 or 15 degrees (or more ?)
Making a spacer for my own use would not be a problem for me , but for those , who can't , but want to use their C1 , this tripod then would be a "no go" .
I am very much tempted to get that iQUICK3pod . I compare it to the GITZO 5 series , but the price is much more appealing .
I no longer have the evaluation unit but it's closer to 90mm. The only downside for me is the height. I need something a bit taller.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
The diameter of the iQUICK3POD leveling plate is 80mm and the diagonal of the CUBE is 99mm .
There is some space between the CUBEs circular groundplate and its square body , but I doubt that this is enough to take full advantage of the leveling ability . So a spacer would be a solution .
Maximum hight of the UniqBall tripods is 152cm . Plus CUBE .

ejpeiker

The diameter of the iQUICK3POD leveling plate is 80mm and the diagonal of the CUBE is 99mm .
There is some space between the CUBEs circular groundplate and its square body , but I doubt that this is enough to take full advantage of the leveling ability . So a spacer would be a solution .
Maximum hight of the UniqBall tripods is 152cm . Plus CUBE .
Thanks for following up, I knew it was quite a bit bigger than the Gitzo plate and had a feeling it was smaller than the cube's diagonal. The height, as I've said, for somebody that is 180cm tall is just not enough. While I am often shooting low to the ground, I do want a tripod that can put the viewfinder slightly above my eye when I am on my tip-toes. The Gitzo 4542 does that for me but it isn't conducive to something like an L60 or Cube for significant up or down tilt of the camera.

awslee

The L60 works great with the X1D, with the only drawback being tilt limited to +/- 10 degrees. At the moment it sits on my TVC-24 via a RRS dovetail and quick-release clamp and I also just mounted a clamp on my TQC-14 for when I want to go really light. A leveling base would be nice but I don't like the added stack height of the RRS 2-series leveler. The big brother Cube is mated to my 3-series aluminum Gitzo but it works well on the TVC-24 as well. No more tripods for me - Dante has his hooks in me for too many other things I want but don't strictly need!

John
May I ask which RRS Dovetail you are using? Do you know the diameter of the L60 base? I am thinking of using the RRS DVTL-40, but I cannot find any information on the L60's base. Want to make sure it is not larger than 50mm which is the limit of the DVTL-40

Andrew

kdphotography

The AS L-60 Leveler is tiny. The RRS DVTL-40 is the correct dovetail. There is a tiny "rim" or lip under the base which allows the L-60 to clear the lip edge of the DVTL-40, which also is the dovetail for the larger AS Cube.

ken

jng

Note that according to the company's website, RRS will be moving their operations from California to Utah and won't be shipping btwn June 20 - July 9. So order early, order often if there's tripod/head GAS you need to take care of!

John

ejpeiker

To follow-up on an earlier discussion in this thread, I received a new p-0 Hybrid yesterday. Note that it was absolutely no problem to remove the A-S lever clamp which I hate and replace it with a RRS Lever clamp. Just be careful when removing the A-S clamp, there is a thin plate with a small ball bearing underneath the clamp that gives it the click stops at 90 degree rotation points that is very easy to drop and lose when removing the stock clamp. That bearing goes under the thin plate in a small hole. Attaching the RRS clamp using the same screw that the A-S clamp was attached with is simple.

Pemihan

Note that it was absolutely no problem to remove the A-S lever clamp which I hate and replace it with a RRS Lever clamp. Just be careful when removing the A-S clamp, there is a thin plate with a small ball bearing underneath the clamp that gives it the click stops at 90 degree rotation points that is very easy to drop and lose when removing the stock clamp. That bearing goes under the thin plate in a small hole. Attaching the RRS clamp using the same screw that the A-S clamp was attached with is simple.
That sounds great! Does anyone know if it is possible to mount the L60 on a RRS Ball Head with platform or the RRS Leveling Base?

ejpeiker

That sounds great! Does anyone know if it is possible to mount the L60 on a RRS Ball Head with platform or the RRS Leveling Base?
I think the best way to mount it directly onto the leveling base is to get an RRS clamp with a 3/8 thread (B2-LR-II) and put that on the base of the tripod and then get the TH-DVTL-40 dovetail which will lounge on the bottom of the L60. Then it's a simple clamp on/clamp off procedure to mount, dismount the L60.

To mount it to an RRS ball head you only need the TH-DVTL-40 dovetail plate.