The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

dchew

Going back to my roots.Long range precision shooting at 1000 yrds
Don,
The guy who built our house, Mark Chapic, had a license plate that said “1000 YDS”. I think his tripod could hold a howizter. Fascinating craft shooting that far.

Dave

Abstraction

I can just see it now:

Ping... 149 million, 999 thousand, 999 pixels...

Ping... 149 million 999 thousand 998 pixels...

Ping...

Frankly

Thought I'd show a slightly different way to "shoot" from a tripod.6.5 Creedmoor, Stolle Atlas receiver, hand lapped barrel, Thunderbeast suspensor, Masterpiece Arms Chassis, Steiner 5-25x56 scope. Weighs 18 lbs unloaded. Sitting on top of a RRS tripod, Arca Swiss P0 head.
Beautiful rig Don. I was posting about the newer RRS SOAR system a few pages back, I built a somewhat plainer 6.5CM PRS rifle this past Winter and used a few different tripod set-ups... the RRS leveling base was the most solid for me.

Anyway if anyone is interested in experimenting with an ultralight tripod from England, designed for shooting but adaptable for photography, this has some interesting innovations and design elements that perhaps Alpa, Novoflex, RRS or the Koreans could steal...err... draw inspiration from?

https://javelinbipod.com/collections/tripods/products/sentinel-tripod-18

Like everything else it's $1000 and backordered. No weights listed but video says mountain version is 2.5#. I think the yoke rotates to tighten down, not entirely clear on that yet. The legs can convert to hiking poles which could well be the ultimate way to move with a tripod in the mountains.

One of you Pha$ed Ones ought to buy and test it for us.

Attachments

Last edited:

kdphotography

Too many tripods :loco:----but I do like the way those tripod end-caps work. That would be a lot cleaner way to cover spiked feet (without losing the caps). Right now I only use a lens pouch to cover all the legs (spikes) at the same time.

ken

ejpeiker

For those using the p0 hybrid or L60, watch out for those adjustment knobs. I was just out on only my third shoot with my unit and one came off in the field and was lost. The knob attaches via two metric hex set-screws on the shaft of the knob. None of my Allen wrenches fit the hex set screw so i went to Ace and the correct one is the smallest metric one they sell (49 cents). I checked my other knob and it was also not properly tightened down and would have come off too probably fairly soon. Now I am trying to get a replacement knob from Arca-swiss - so far they want me to send it in for repair and actually want to charge me for the repair on what is a three month old unit with only a few uses which is nuts but I am trying to get them to change their mind. It is a very simple thing to fix for anyone with a brain ;)

Last edited:
I need some advice.

I am really struggling to get sharp images with my GFX and the GF250mm lens when used on my RSS TVC34L and the P0 Hybrid. And yes IS is turned off. I pretty much have to treat it as handheld shooting and use 1/250th to get sharp photos.

I'm guessing I need a sturdier head. Any recommendations? I do like the geared movements of the P0 Hybrid. Or is there something else I can do?

:)

jng

You might look at the smaller A/S L60 “mini cube”. The top panning clamp isn’t geared and movements are limited to +/- 10 degrees, but if you use the RRS leveling base it’s still quite versatile.

John

I do!

I was hoping their would be a somewhat smaller option. I did just buy a larger backpack though.

tcdeveau

I do!

I was hoping their would be a somewhat smaller option. I did just buy a larger backpack though.
You could also look at the Linhof 3D micro (or the Alpa branded version). Not sure how the specs compare to the cube though.

If you don’t need geared, there’s always something like a RRS BH-55.

Don Libby

I currently use both the P0 and mini cube and haven't had any issues with the 250. I also like to use a wired shutter release whenever on tripod. I've also have used the 250 and 1.4 as a handheld spending several hours walking through the San Diego Wildlife Park. Great combination.

vjbelle

I need some advice.

I am really struggling to get sharp images with my GFX and the GF250mm lens when used on my RSS TVC34L and the P0 Hybrid. And yes IS is turned off. I pretty much have to treat it as handheld shooting and use 1/250th to get sharp photos.

I'm guessing I need a sturdier head. Any recommendations? I do like the geared movements of the P0 Hybrid. Or is there something else I can do?

:)
Erik.... just came across this post but am amazed that you can't get sharp images with a 34L and P0 Hybrid as I use much smaller tripods and still get very sharp images with longer lenses, although not the 250mm. I am wondering if there is anything sharp in the image which would indicate that the focus point was slightly off. I'm only saying this as this is the first thing I look for when considering 'shake' vs. focus point. I always look for focus points at 100% pixels to check if anything is in critical focus.

Victor

Erik.... just came across this post but am amazed that you can't get sharp images with a 34L and P0 Hybrid as I use much smaller tripods and still get very sharp images with longer lenses, although not the 250mm. I am wondering if there is anything sharp in the image which would indicate that the focus point was slightly off. I'm only saying this as this is the first thing I look for when considering 'shake' vs. focus point. I always look for focus points at 100% pixels to check if anything is in critical focus.

Victor
That's what I thought at first, but it's happening each time I use a slow shutter speed on my tripod. I also tried during the same shoot to go from 1s to /250th of a second and that makes a huge difference.

I am at the moment struggling to shoot slower than 1/50th of a second on tripod.