The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

jng

These latest head/cube pics seem like a desperate call(s) for help. In fact this entire thread seems like a big call for help. :ROTFL:

John (HELP!)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Jeez! Sorry. I didn't mean to cross the line between good and bad taste. Offending post deleted.

Shashin

Jeez! Sorry. I didn't mean to cross the line between good and bad taste. Offending post deleted.
I am sorry. I was just making a joke. I actually liked your image. I am surprised how many head folks have--not just how many heads you have. It was actually the cube image that made me think of stacking heads. Please put your image back and I will delete my post. I really did not think it was offensive. Sorry...

MGrayson

No worries. I was a bit embarrassed by the number. I once counted lenses and almost fainted. REALLY have to get rid of the stuff I don't use.

--Matt

MGrayson

Indeed---good taste is a fine line.

Often separated by a Blue ring line.

:ROTFL:
If I were feeling snarky, I would joke about WHICH side of the blue ring has the bad taste. But really, if I felt I would USE a Phase XF system, I would happily buy one. It IS better in many ways, but not if it stays home.

Lazy as always,

Matt

kdphotography

Dante doesn't care which medium format digital system or gear you use.

As long as you participate---and buy. A lot. :loco:;)

KanzaKruzer

I'm new to GetDPI Forum and recently replaced a RRS TQC-14 tripod with a larger 3 section Promediagear for more stability and less vibration. This tripod is 5.8 lbs. with 42mm, 38mm, and 34mm legs.

Fuji GFX 50R, Fuji GF32-64, Arca Swiss C1 GP, RRS MPR-CL II, TR423 PMG Pro-Stix Tripod, Benro 75HB Adapter, PLX3x L-Bracket

[/url]Nodal by timberline12k, on Flickr[/IMG]

For travel and ground shots, I can move the entire assembly over to the Benro HH75AV Tripod
[/url]20190109Tripod0001-2 by timberline12k, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:

Jamgolf

I have a question for those who are using Arca Swiss Leveler L60 (aka mini cube) ...
Do you find the 10 degree movements to be restrictive?

dchew

I have a question for those who are using Arca Swiss Leveler L60 (aka mini cube) ...
Do you find the 10 degree movements to be restrictive?
Yes, I do; I would not use the head without the RRS leveling base along with it (or something similar). That gives you another 15 degrees before you have to start messing around with the legs.

Dave

Jamgolf

Yes, I do; I would not use the head without the RRS leveling base along with it (or something similar). That gives you another 15 degrees before you have to start messing around with the legs.

Dave
Thanks for the input, Dave
A leveling base provides an additional 15 degrees of adjustment, but also adds some weight.
Do you think the mini cube plus leveling base is still preferable i.e. has some advantage/benefits, or would you rather just have/use the cube?
(Clearly, in terms of price L60+Leveling-Base has a $$ advantage over the Cube)

Last edited:

jng

What Dave said. I've found myself a bit limited when using the L60 without leveling base, but not (yet) when combined with it on most landscape shoots. I find the L60 + 3-series tripod w/leveling base to be quite portable and easy to schlep around even on extended walks. With the Cube, not so much. It's not just the added heft of the Cube but the addition of significant mass at the very end of the tripod, which makes it someone inconvenient for carrying around. But if you need extreme angles, the Cube is the way to go.

John

dchew

Thanks for the input, Dave
A leveling base provides an additional 15 degrees of adjustment, but also adds some weight.
Do you think the mini cube plus leveling base is still preferable i.e. has some advantage/benefits, or would you rather just have/use the cube?
(Clearly, in terms of price L60+Leveling-Base has a $$ advantage over the Cube)
It is a good point. However, I like having the leveling base regardless of what head I have mounted. As was discussed several pages ago in this thread, there are cases where you want to pan using the base of the head (applies to the Cube too). For example, you have a long lens and it is pointed up a bit to frame what you want. If you now want to stitch, you cannot pan with the top because it is no longer level. You need to pan at the base. The only way to make the base level is with a leveling base (or wrestle forever with the legs).

So, I have a leveling base on my RRS-3 series/cube, and another on the RRS-2 series/L60.

Dave

jotloob

Subscriber Member
As Dave , I use a small leveling base with the ARCA L60 and a bigger leveling base with my
ARCA CUBE C1 .
The small leveling base is a NOVOFLEX MBAL and the bigger base is the NOVOFLEX MBAL-PRO75 .
I am very satisfied with this solution , but I mostly use the CUBE C1 combination .

Jamgolf

Thanks for sharing your first hand experiences. My thought was to get a lighter short/stubby more solid/stable head and L60 seems to fit that bill. But adding a leveling base would take away some of the reduction in weight/height advantage. I still might try this, but I am a bit less enthusiastic.

kdphotography

Definitely the built-in leveling base on the Novoflex is a big plus with the L60. It maintains the low profile and adds that extra bit of adjustment range sometimes needed with the L60. This is the Novoflex triobalance that I use for travel. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...ex_triobalc2840_triopod_tripod_base_with.html It's apparently been discontinued, so not sure what or if has been replaced. Nice small package and good for travel. I thought about adding a leveling base to the TVC-24, but as you've noted, height and weight goes up. And in that regard, I'm right back at where I was using the KPS T5 with the TVC-24. So the Novoflex Trioblance with built-in leveler is a better choice imo with the L60. The KPS T5 stays on the TVC-24 as my middle weight tripod. Otherwise I prefer the RRS TVC33 and Cube.

drunkenspyder

Definitely the built-in leveling base on the Novoflex is a big plus with the L60. It maintains the low profile and adds that extra bit of adjustment range sometimes needed with the L60. This is the Novoflex triobalance that I use for travel. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...ex_triobalc2840_triopod_tripod_base_with.html It's apparently been discontinued, so not sure what or if has been replaced. Nice small package and good for travel. I thought about adding a leveling base to the TVC-24, but as you've noted, height and weight goes up. And in that regard, I'm right back at where I was using the KPS T5 with the TVC-24. So the Novoflex Trioblance with built-in leveler is a better choice imo with the L60. The KPS T5 stays on the TVC-24 as my middle weight tripod. Otherwise I prefer the RRS TVC33 and Cube.
This appears to be the newer version of the TrioBalance you linked.

I confess this is quite intriguing. Right now, my preferred tripod is an RRS TVC33s, with the leveler built into the platform [extra cost, but it doesn't change the length at all, and the weight only slightly], and an Arca Cube on top. But I like the compactness of the Novoflex+ the L60 package. Looks like a great travel option. The RRS problem in the 1 and 2 series tripods, is that a leveling base sits on top of the apex, rather than being fitted into it, which undoes much of the benefit of compactness, especially with either a Cube or P0 on top. Or even an L60.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Please note , that there is a TRIO POD and a TRIO POD PRO 75 .
If in doubt , please see the NOVOFLEX homepage http://www.novoflex.de
Click on the english language symbol on the right top corner .
You will then easily see the differences , especially regarding the leveling base .