The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

drunkenspyder

Anyone with an L60 QR lever clamp: is it the same 2-stage type of lever that the Cube has? I replaced my Cube clamps with RRS lever clamps, because I detest the A-S version; it's very difficult to use in the cold, and tough on the fingers. On an L60, I just might be inclined to go Classic, unless Precision Works or someone can swap the RRS lever clamp in. Seems to me they should be able to, as that is what I had done with my P0 Hybrid.

KanzaKruzer

This appears to be the newer version of the TrioBalance you linked.

I confess this is quite intriguing. Right now, my preferred tripod is an RRS TVC33s, with the leveler built into the platform [extra cost, but it doesn't change the length at all, and the weight only slightly], and an Arca Cube on top. But I like the compactness of the Novoflex+ the L60 package. Looks like a great travel option. The RRS problem in the 1 and 2 series tripods, is that a leveling base sits on top of the apex, rather than being fitted into it, which undoes much of the benefit of compactness, especially with either a Cube or P0 on top. Or even an L60.
Any idea what size legs are on the Novaflex? I just sold my RRS-TQC-14. It was a nice light package for travel, but the legs were too small for my current needs. I upgraded to a 3 section PMG TR423 tripod which has 42mm, 38mm, and 34mm legs. The 5.8 lbs. weight is not bad, but the collapsed 26" length can be an issue for travel. To solve that I opted for the Benro 75mm Hi-Hat for non photo related travel since it is rock solid and only weighs 3 lbs 7 oz with a leveling base and quick connect clamp attached. The leveling base provides minor adjustment and the Benro is sturdy enough to handle a C1 GP cube for low angle shots. With the cube attached the base of the camera can extend as high as 16" which is high enough for most travel situations. For reference I am showing the smaller Leica tripod that I no longer use.

[/url]20190119Travel0001 by timberline12k, on Flickr[/IMG]

[/url]IMG_0447 (002) by timberline12k, on Flickr[/IMG]

dchew

Anyone with an L60 QR lever clamp: is it the same 2-stage type of lever that the Cube has? I replaced my Cube clamps with RRS lever clamps, because I detest the A-S version; it's very difficult to use in the cold, and tough on the fingers. On an L60, I just might be inclined to go Classic, unless Precision Works or someone can swap the RRS lever clamp in. Seems to me they should be able to, as that is what I had done with my P0 Hybrid.
Yes it is the same one. I swapped mine out for an RRS quick release. Not too difficult. You just have to be careful not to lose the little ball and spring. The top plate is held in place by the same screw that holds the clamp on, so when you remove the clamp, you have to hold on to the thin top plate or the little ball bearing will go flying into Nevernever land. The RRS clamp doesn't have the registration pins that are on the A/S clamp, so you have to center everything up when tightening the RRS clamp down in order to get that ball detent to work right. Might take a try or two. The thin plate sits on top at ~ 1.9-2" on the ruler:

Dave

drunkenspyder

Yes it is the same one. I swapped mine out for an RRS quick release. Not too difficult. You just have to be careful not to lose the little ball and spring. The top plate is held in place by the same screw that holds the clamp on, so when you remove the clamp, you have to hold on to the thin top plate or the little ball bearing will go flying into Nevernever land. The RRS clamp doesn't have the registration pins that are on the A/S clamp, so you have to center everything up when tightening the RRS clamp down in order to get that ball detent to work right. Might take a try or two. The thin plate sits on top at ~ 1.9-2" on the ruler:

Dave
Superb info. Much appreciated. Did you put a clamp with a bubble on? I think the L60 comes with that, yes? Thanks Dave!

dchew

Superb info. Much appreciated. Did you put a clamp with a bubble on? I think the L60 comes with that, yes? Thanks Dave!
It does come with that, but I went with the smaller RRS clamp that doesn’t have a bubble level. My camera pretty much obscures the bubble on the clamp so it is useless to me.

Dave

drunkenspyder

Any idea what size legs are on the Novaflex? I just sold my RRS-TQC-14. It was a nice light package for travel, but the legs were too small for my current needs. I upgraded to a 3 section PMG TR423 tripod which has 42mm, 38mm, and 34mm legs. The 5.8 lbs. weight is not bad, but the collapsed 26" length can be an issue for travel. To solve that I opted for the Benro 75mm Hi-Hat for non photo related travel since it is rock solid and only weighs 3 lbs 7 oz with a leveling base and quick connect clamp attached. The leveling base provides minor adjustment and the Benro is sturdy enough to handle a C1 GP cube for low angle shots. With the cube attached the base of the camera can extend as high as 16" which is high enough for most travel situations. For reference I am showing the smaller Leica tripod that I no longer use.
I do a lot of ground level stuff, too, and when I know positively that's all I am going to do, I use the RRS carbon fiber Series 3 Ground Tripod. But I so rarely have the confidence that I won't need something else, that the little guy tends to stay at home or in the car.

From the Novoflex site for the 2844 TrioBalance:

Diameter of the leg segments (mm): 27.9 (1.1"); 24.9 (0.98"); 21.9 (0.86"); 18.9 (0.74")
But it's two+ pounds lighter than your PMG rig [which for me is a huge difference]. More comparable to your PMG rig would be the 3-section TrioBase. Also stuck at about 26+ inches in length.

drunkenspyder

It does come with that, but I went with the smaller RRS clamp that doesn’t have a bubble level. My camera pretty much obscures the bubble on the clamp so it is useless to me.

Dave
Thanks. Agreed with that shortcoming when the camera is on it, but . . . during setup, sure can be nice to have. And both my spare RRS QR mounts have bubbles, so what the heck. I may also consider the possibility of a Novoflex Q=Base. I already have one on order to try out this suggested rig. To the point of earlier posts here, will it be limited in its adjustments without messing with the legs? Yes. But will it be more compact, lighter, and still sturdy? Yes to that as well.

Jamgolf

Got the mini-cube today. Very compact. Pretty much what I was hoping it would be. More stable and not as tall/pointy as the the KPS T5, even with the leveling base under the L60 and not under KPS T5.

Quite happy with my new setup of ProMediaGear TR424L tripod and the mini-cube.

Thanks for all the advice/help guys.
Cheers!

bensonga

Personally, I don’t think there has ever been a more beautiful finish than the hammered paint on the Gitzo alloy tripods and heads.

Gary

drunkenspyder

Dave
Heh, I almost didn't see the little ball bearing at first. Picked mine up today, and I couldn't wait to get that dumb Arca lever off the darn thing. Dave, did you by chance use any thread locker?

dchew

Heh, I almost didn't see the little ball bearing at first. Picked mine up today, and I couldn't wait to get that dumb Arca lever off the darn thing. Dave, did you by chance use any thread locker?
Yeah, I used blue Loctite. I wouldn’t dare use red. Since there are no longer any registration pins, it seemed like a good idea.

Dave

Edit: I suggest you really make an effort to tighten that screw. Get it tight, then grab some channel locks, grip the RRS clamp and really tighten the screw. Once you put the camera on there, your torque arm gets a lot bigger than you think, and the chance of rotating the clamp is pretty good. We bitch and moan about A/S and their use of thread locker, but they do it for a reason.

Last edited:

drunkenspyder

Yeah, I used blue Loctite. I wouldn’t dare use red. Since there are no longer any registration pins, it seemed like a good idea.

Dave

Edit: I suggest you really make an effort to tighten that screw. Get it tight, then grab some channel locks, grip the RRS clamp and really tighten the screw. Once you put the camera on there, your torque arm gets a lot bigger than you think, and the chance of rotating the clamp is pretty good. We bitch and moan about A/S and their use of thread locker, but they do it for a reason.
Thanks Dave. Couldn't agree more about getting the screw locked down as tight as possible. Leverage changes dramatically with a camera on top.

And yeah, I don't fault A-S for locking it down or for much of anything. Just for the lever design.

JoelM

YAY, a MagicBall. I love my MagicBall Mini. The most underrated ball heads in the world.

Joel

danlindberg

I also have the magicball mini and it does hold the X1d with either of the three lenses that I have. I like it lot :thumbup:

Godfrey

On the other end of the scale from tripod rigs designed for heavy-ish medium format and long lens use, there are travel tripods. I have a couple of them, the best of which is the Sirui T-025x so far, but they're all really limited in capability and speed in the field.

My curiosity has been piqued by the new Peak Design Travel Tripod that was announced on Kickstarter recently: Kickstarter - Peak Design Travel Tripod

One of these, occasionally along with their optional universal head mount and my A-S Monoball P0, could be a brilliant travel kit, suitable for everything from the iPhone to my current usual travel camera (Leica CL with up to a 135mm lens). If it's stable enough... of course. :D

I put in a pledge. No other way to find out, really.

G

JoelM

I think the Peak Design is a nifty idea, but the $600 price is a no-go for me. I'd rather buy a bulkier Gitzo at that point (I have and use my Mountaineer) and with a better head. Granted, it is compact, but not at that price point for me. Reviews will be interesting so I'll be curious to hear what you think when it arrives.

Joel

drunkenspyder

On the other end of the scale from tripod rigs designed for heavy-ish medium format and long lens use, there are travel tripods. I have a couple of them, the best of which is the Sirui T-025x so far, but they're all really limited in capability and speed in the field.

My curiosity has been piqued by the new Peak Design Travel Tripod that was announced on Kickstarter recently: Kickstarter - Peak Design Travel Tripod

One of these, occasionally along with their optional universal head mount and my A-S Monoball P0, could be a brilliant travel kit, suitable for everything from the iPhone to my current usual travel camera (Leica CL with up to a 135mm lens). If it's stable enough... of course. :D

I put in a pledge. No other way to find out, really.

G
Same here. Though there are a few prototype reviews out there that are pretty positive, I put in a pledge, because it's the only real way to find out. I am thinking universal plus the A-S L60 leveler. I recently tried out a combo of Novoflex legs and various leveling heads, and was very pleased with how well they worked, and how compact they could be. If I have room and weight capacity, I still carry the RRS 33S, but if weight is hypercritical, the Novoflex now gets the nod. Until the PD proves its merit. And FWIW, the PD is priced at 289 [aluminum] and 479 [carbon fiber] on Kickstarter.