The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

hcubell

I have been using the Arca Swiss P0Hybrid Mono Ball Head in conjunction with a set of Novoflex carbon fiber legs for over 6 months. The set-up is ideal with respect to weight, working height and stability. My only problem has been with the two gear controls on the Hybrid. The shafts that operate the gears are extremely small in diameter and can be bent it the tripod is carelessly transported in a car trunk. I have discovered that the soft tripod case that I usually use does not provided adequate protection for the Arca Swiss Hybrid. I solved the problem by finding a hard shell lens case that fits snuggly over the hybrid head and protects the gear controls. I have also discovered that the gear control knobs are locked in place with tiny hex head set screws which tend to loosen with use. Although replacement knobs are available for around $18, I invested in a 1.5mm hex wrench for $1 and have taped it to the tripod leg for field use.
Very nice idea of taping the 1.5mm hex wrench to the tripod leg. I have lost and found the knobs twice in the field. They have a propensity to loosen up and fall off. I have considered just gluing them on permanently.

sog1927

The TrioBal (on the left) has the sleek, but small-yoked design. The Pro-75 (center) is about the same size as the Gitzo (right), but perhaps its design is not as rigid? The Gitzo legs also have a wider opening angle at its first stop - not sure how that affects things.

The Pro-75 leg attachments allow the legs to invert, so that the camera can hang from the bottom of the tripod and get very low. It's a great feature, but it may prevent rigidity at the attachment points.

Matt
My bet is that the triangular reinforcement around the yoke of the Gitzo gives it more torsional rigidity and prevents the tripod from twisting.

Christopher

My bet is that the triangular reinforcement around the yoke of the Gitzo gives it more torsional rigidity and prevents the tripod from twisting.
My problem with the Novoflex tripods is there bad leg angle... they could be much more stable with a better angle.

drunkenspyder

My problem with the Novoflex tripods is there bad leg angle... they could be much more stable with a better angle.
Completely agree. I love the modularity of the Novoflex line—and especially the integration of leveling into the platform itself—and I have several of them, but the legs are too "steep." I'd trade an inch or two of height for a slightly wider base.

Godfrey

I was at the Peak Design showcase store in SF on Saturday and had a good bit of time to play with their new travel tripod, and compare the carbon and aluminum versions too. (They're just at the beginning of shipping on the Kickstarter, said some folks might even receive theirs this week.)

Overall, I'm impressed with the design. For a lightweight travel tripod that also achieve full standard tripod height, it is very compact when folded and quite sturdy when the legs are fully extended and the center column raised just enough to give the integrated ball head full motion access.

I had my Hasselblad 500CM with A12 back, WL finder, and Distagon 50mm lens with me, which is also fitted semi-permanently with an Arca-Swiss type tripod adapter foot .. a 4lb, 4oz camera setup. Even with the (removable) guard pegs still in place, it clicked right into the PD quick release clamp and was utterly secure when the latch was locked. The tripod at full extension that way is just a little too tall for me to see down into the viewfinder without standing on my toes and peering over the edge of the shade. Should be just fine for most uses that I'll put it to.

The legs deploy and fold quickly and securely, everything is easily disassembled and reassembled for cleaning. All the knobs and such are easy to get to and comfortable in use. PD has made the commitment that they will carry every part as a spare in case of damage or loss. Then universal head adapter changes in and out quickly and easily so I can switch to that and use the Arca-Swiss Monoball P0 or P0 Hybrid on it easily too, when I need a little more elevation and/or the pan capability.

I would say that as a set of legs it is about as sturdy and useful as my compact Manfrotto 019 CF3pro 3-section legs while being more compact and a touch lighter. The integrated head makes the whole tripod much more compact, easier to pack and travel with. The aluminum legs are only a small amount heavier than the carbon; the carbon have the additional advantage of not getting as cold to the touch if you're out on a freezing day...

For the light to medium duty use I have in mind, I am now fully jazzed to receive mine and start putting it through its paces... :D

G

Shashin

I have been looking for a travel tripod as well. I have been spending time over at a site called the Center Column. It should be a must read for anyone making choices. It certainly has answered an number of questions for me:

Aluminum or carbon fiber: https://thecentercolumn.com/2018/06/05/carbon-fiber-vs-aluminum-tripods/

Tripod weight ratings: https://thecentercolumn.com/2019/10/24/tripod-weight-ratings-are-meaningless/

And does hanging weight on your tripod make a difference: https://thecentercolumn.com/2018/02/18/stiffness-and-damping-vs/

That last one saved me $30 for a hook.

I actually received a Gitzo Traveler 1545 in the mail today. It checked a lot of boxes for me, although the PD was very tempting--its weight is what tipped me toward the Gitzo.

Godfrey

I have been looking for a travel tripod as well. I have been spending time over at a site called the Center Column. It should be a must read for anyone making choices. It certainly has answered an number of questions for me:

Aluminum or carbon fiber: https://thecentercolumn.com/2018/06/05/carbon-fiber-vs-aluminum-tripods/

Tripod weight ratings: https://thecentercolumn.com/2019/10/24/tripod-weight-ratings-are-meaningless/

And does hanging weight on your tripod make a difference: https://thecentercolumn.com/2018/02/18/stiffness-and-damping-vs/

I actually received a Gitzo Traveler 1545 in the mail today. It checked a lot of boxes for me, although the PD was very tempting--its weight is what tipped me toward the Gitzo.
Yes, I've spent time on David's site too. I'm happy to say that, while I've never measured anything and quantified as he has, his results are very much in line with what I have surmised from use in the field and in tabletop work with various tripods over the years.

The Gitzo Traveler 1545 is a good set of legs, based on the time I spent looking at them in the only still-extant brick&mortar shop in my neighborhood. I'm not sure about the weight or size comparisons once I fit one of my A-S P0 heads, which is where the PD tripod seems to have an advantage with the integrated head. But the twist-lock legs are appealing too ... eh? Nothing's perfect, I have three sets of legs already that all work well enough, wanted something tidier and more compact to toss in the travel bag, and found the tidy little Sirui T-025x to be a little too light and limited to be worth carrying other than for the cell phone. The PDTT, based on what I found playing with it, will do me fine. I'm sure the Gitzo Traveler will do you well too! :)

G

drunkenspyder

I believe I found this site courtesy of the PD folks; it is very educational. I was an early backer of the new PD tripod, even though it did not tick all my traditional boxes, because it got me thinking about them differently. I've got a small/tiny Novoflex, Rollei, and RRS, each of which has its pros and cons. I am hoping the PD is the Goldilocks of these, and am eagerly awaiting delivery of mine, because there are times when the compromise choices they made seem to make sense.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I, too, have the PD on order. I played with one at the Photo Expo. It will have a hard time competing with the RRS 1 series with the BH-30 head.

We'll see. Oh, RRS displayed a 1 series with a thin triangular center column so it would fold up into a thinner package like the PD (available next year). I guess it's an idea whose time has come.

Matt

Steve Hendrix

I, too, have the PD on order. I played with one at the Photo Expo. It will have a hard time competing with the RRS 1 series with the BH-30 head.

We'll see. Oh, RRS displayed a 1 series with a thin triangular center column so it would fold up into a thinner package like the PD (available next year). I guess it's an idea whose time has come.

Matt

Speaking of tripods and heads - the Arca L75 Heads have actually begun shipping early! We got our first shipment today.

Bravo Arca!

Steve Hendrix/CI

IMG_6585 1.jpg

Shashin

I'm not sure about the weight or size comparisons once I fit one of my A-S P0 heads, which is where the PD tripod seems to have an advantage with the integrated head.
You are right, the head needs to be factored in. My P0 is staying on my other carbon fiber I use with my Pentax 645D. I went with a generic compact head for the Gitzo and have the weight down to 1.195kg and can shave another 80g or so off by using the short center column (not sure what the weight is in pounds, but it should be the same ;) ). The PD carbon is 1.270kg, so just a bit heavier. The PD was in the running as it does pack down smaller. I guess the only thing that did make me hesitant was the flat leg profile of the PD and whether that would create more instability in the wind.

(And yes, I climbed/hiked mountains and so I am obsessed with the grams. And that goes for everything in my bag, hence my move to Fuji X-series cameras. And best of all, my wallet is lighter too! (Although I did get a really good deal on the Gitzo))

Nothing's perfect...
Thank God! What would we buy if it was?

kimyeesan

Lately I purchased this gear head for about 900RMB (less than 130USD).

I think the version one is a knock off from the D4 Arca. This one I don't know where it is from, but It has some 'perceived' improvement, namely the gear is rigid and you cannot move it at all except with the gear (this might be the breaking point as if the weight/tension/bending exceed the tolerance, it will snap the gear spur and broke the device). I am sure some people, myself included had complain slightly on the D4 type of implementation with a torsion screw to tighten the gear movement. This will sometimes come loose particularly under heavy load, and your gear will kind of switch position when you lean it or something. Well, this fix it, but I can see potential catastrophic failure. The weight limit is 4kg. Kind of small too, maybe in anticipation for this weak point.

Anyway, I am using it to shoot Chamonix 4x5, a very light setup.

kdphotography

There are times to skimp. But with an IQ4150 and either a heavy Phase XF body or a technical camera with expensive lens attached----this ain't one of those times. 4Kg capacity? Uh, not for me. Might be okay for much lighter gear as noted.

There's a new geared head also recently released by Rogeti. See, https://rogeti.com/

Nice to see more options for geared heads!

I'm looking forward to getting the AS family together: The Cube, Mini-Cube L75, and baby cube L60.

:D

MrNikon

Hello,

Not sure if this is the right place to put my question, but i'll give it a try:

I have the Gitzo GT4543LS tripod and i am very happy with it. I am now looking into a leveling base and the Gitzo base may be an option. However i would like to look into other options. Does anyone know of a leveling base that will fit this tripod??. I am looking at something that will sit low on the base to maintain stability. I allready have a Sirui LE60 and that is not the type i am looking for. Would also help if it was cheaper than the Gitzo!!

Thank you
Per J.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
You might have a look to the NOVOFLEX MBAL PRO75 . Its diameter is 75mm , good enough for the new ARCA SWISS CORE LEVELER 75 .
I have both these items on order .

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
At the other end of the spectrum, I received a Peak Designs tripod through their kickstarter campaign. It is VERY compact folded up, making the RRS TFC-14 look large by comparison. With the BH-30 head on the latter, they are close to the same weight (nod to the PD). Stability, however is not remotely close. Even with the center column all the way down, the PD wobbles and vibrates with half the damping factor of the RRS, i.e., the image shakes for twice as long after a disturbance. With the GFX100 at 200mm, the difference was visible on a 3 second *indoor* exposure.

The PD is loaded with clever features. It's a great design...except for holding the camera steady.

Matt