The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

Abstraction

At the other end of the spectrum, I received a Peak Designs tripod through their kickstarter campaign. It is VERY compact folded up, making the RRS TFC-14 look large by comparison. With the BH-30 head on the latter, they are close to the same weight (nod to the PD). Stability, however is not remotely close. Even with the center column all the way down, the PD wobbles and vibrates with half the damping factor of the RRS, i.e., the image shakes for twice as long after a disturbance. With the GFX100 at 200mm, the difference was visible on a 3 second *indoor* exposure.

The PD is loaded with clever features. It's a great design...except for holding the camera steady.

Matt
Alas, form over function.

photopixes

Yes. Most of the time I reach for one of my carbon fiber Gitzos because of weight. However, when I do long exposure work, I invariably reach for the Ries.

I have a Ries tripod also; solid, but so heavy. I find myself always taking the Gitzo, which I believe is as stable, but much lighter overall.

etrump

I used the RRS bowl for mine and found it quite effective. Not much difference in price from the Gitzo if I recall.

Hello,

Not sure if this is the right place to put my question, but i'll give it a try:

I have the Gitzo GT4543LS tripod and i am very happy with it. I am now looking into a leveling base and the Gitzo base may be an option. However i would like to look into other options. Does anyone know of a leveling base that will fit this tripod??. I am looking at something that will sit low on the base to maintain stability. I allready have a Sirui LE60 and that is not the type i am looking for. Would also help if it was cheaper than the Gitzo!!

Thank you
Per J.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
You might have a look to the NOVOFLEX MBAL PRO75 . Its diameter is 75mm , good enough for the new ARCA SWISS CORE LEVELER 75 .
I have both these items on order .
Alas, the Novy leveling base for the PRO75 does NOT work in a large Gitzo tripod. The Novy base has a locking lever that sticks out the side and it has to line up with the hole in the PRO75 spider. I got the short handle RRS leveling base for the Gitzo. It is a great match with the Arca 75 leveler!

Matt

Christopher

And that they don’t get that it would be great to have a centered Arca clamp and not having to replace it.

All in all that’s why there is the novoflex head. :)

Nice to see someone is further down the geared head collection than I am. :)

One thing that frustrates me about the arca geared heads is they don't seem to understand that the real panoramic rotation is at the bottom not the top. No markings or indents for the bottom rotation.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Alas, the Novy leveling base for the PRO75 does NOT work in a large Gitzo tripod. The Novy base has a locking lever that sticks out the side and it has to line up with the hole in the PRO75 spider. I got the short handle RRS leveling base for the Gitzo. It is a great match with the Arca 75 leveler!

Matt
Yes , the M-BAL PRO 75 does not work in a large GITZO tripod .
But it absolutely works perfect on top of a GITZO tripod even , when the locking lever sticks out the side .
I use the M-BAL PRO 75 with the ARCA SWISS CORE LEVELER 75 on top of my GITZO 3543XLS .
I have no trouble with that combination .

Mexecutioner

Damn, did you get the last one? I get a 404, and don’t see any when searching that site. Been looking for one for a while now myself.
I believe I did. Why don’t you try contacting Markins in Korea, they may have some old stock or demo units.

Don Libby

Just got a note from B&H that my Arca Swiss 75 is headed to me. Ordered it Nov 16th and should have it Jan 2nd. No taxes (I paid for it when I ordered it) and no shipping. Just in time for the next trip...

MrNikon

Hello again!,

Does anyone knows if all original Arca Swiss classic camera plates and the L-bracket is so precisely manufactured that they all fit the Flip Lock on my Z1+ ballhead??. Or will i have to adjust the flip lock as is necessary with unoriginal ones...
Do not want to invest in a L-bracket if they do not fit the same adjustment...

Thank you and merry christmas and happy new year to everyone
Per J.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Jürgen,

Until 30 days pass, you get no credit for resisting. Let us know in May that you still don't own the tripod.

Steve

Steve , I have lost . The NOVOFLEX TrioPod75 is on its way to me . With the strong legs
QLEG C3940 SET3 .
I think , Dante will be very pleased .
Now , I could of course use some excuses , but who would believe me ? ? ? :banghead:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Hello again!,

Does anyone knows if all original Arca Swiss classic camera plates and the L-bracket is so precisely manufactured that they all fit the Flip Lock on my Z1+ ballhead??. Or will i have to adjust the flip lock as is necessary with unoriginal ones...
Do not want to invest in a L-bracket if they do not fit the same adjustment...

Thank you and merry christmas and happy new year to everyone
Per J.
I have a couple of ARCA SWISS plates and they are all the same . I can't see a reason why they should be different .
There will surely be differences between plates and rails from other brands . :banghead: