The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

Godfrey

The Peak Design Travel Tripod was delivered yesterday morning! The tripod feels good ... light but not insubstantial, parts fit well, there's a feeling of quality to its build. I'd tested a late pre-production one with my Hasselblad 500CM and Distagon 50mm lens at the PD store in San Francisco a month or so ago: It handled that nicely. I'm sure it will do well with the lighter equipment I more usually carry. Seems quite stable for its size ... only actual use in the field will tell for sure whether it is up to the tasks I have in mind. It sure is nice and small packed down in its case, and light too.

One of my first curiosities was to see whether my iPhone 8 Plus in its Moment case (for use with my accessory lenses) would fit in the supplied smartphone clip that's stored in the bottom of the center column. The clip expands just enough to handle it, but my RRS smartphone mount is quite a bit handier as well as much sturdier. That's okay: the smartphone clip in the column is fine for when in a pinch without the RRS mount.

For others who are buying one, and in case you weren't aware, Peak Design has published two videos on YouTube pertinent to using the tripod:

Peak Design Travel Tripod: Set Up & Tips
Peak Design Travel Tripod: Maintenance & Tuning

Both are useful and informative.

Now to get out and put the Travel Tripod to some use! I'm about to head off on a cruise in the Caribbean, hmmm... :D

G

anyone

Hi there,
I wanted to give an update to my tripod head search for the Hasselblad 500CM with 350mm Tele-Superachromat.

The choice now came down to a Markins M20, which I will receive next week. I am curious! Nevertheless, a question for the long lens shooters: what other means of stabilisation besides the tripod head are you using? I saw for example once that the body was connected to a tripod leg(the lens was on the tripod head), and there was a kind of a rail that which was used to support the lens hood of the tele lens. Any recommendations?

Thank you!

jng

Hi there,
I wanted to give an update to my tripod head search for the Hasselblad 500CM with 350mm Tele-Superachromat.

The choice now came down to a Markins M20, which I will receive next week. I am curious! Nevertheless, a question for the long lens shooters: what other means of stabilisation besides the tripod head are you using? I saw for example once that the body was connected to a tripod leg(the lens was on the tripod head), and there was a kind of a rail that which was used to support the lens hood of the tele lens. Any recommendations?

Thank you!
You might look at the long lens support package from Really Right Stuff (https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/plates-brackets/long-lens-support). With the 350 SA you can either use the lens foot or body's base plate to clamp down to the rail, with the "Y" support cradling the front of the lens (however there may be clearance issues if using the lens foot). I found this worked quite well with my more pedestrian CF 350 (see below). Very envious of your 350 Superachromat!

Hope this helps.

John

EDIT: When using this rig one should use an RRS base plate on the camera or lens, as the clamp tightens onto the base plate and the rail simultaneously, thus requiring both to be the exact same width. I have found that the Arca-Swiss base plates are just a hair narrower than their RRS counterparts.

26110961184_915b92c6c8_o.jpg

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I modified my Arca-Swiss L75 Leveler by replacing the A-S Classic clamp with an RRS lever clamp and by adding an RRS dovetail to the bottom for easy mounting and removal from my tripod (which is equipped with an RRS clamp). I'm not a fan of either the A-S Classic clamp or their lever clamp. This modification isn't for the faint of heart and definitely voids the warranty.

Here's the result:

The modification retains the detents on the top stage. If anyone is interested in the details, please contact me.

Joe

Hello Joe

Can you please give the RRS ordernumber or the exact RRS name of the dovetail plate you used ?
RRS stuff is not easy to get here . Thank you . Jürgen .

anyone

You might look at the long lens support package from Really Right Stuff (https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/plates-brackets/long-lens-support). With the 350 SA you can either use the lens foot or body's base plate to clamp down to the rail, with the "Y" support cradling the front of the lens (however there may be clearance issues if using the lens foot). I found this worked quite well with my more pedestrian CF 350 (see below). Very envious of your 350 Superachromat!

Hope this helps.

John

EDIT: When using this rig one should use an RRS base plate on the camera or lens, as the clamp tightens onto the base plate and the rail simultaneously, thus requiring both to be the exact same width. I have found that the Arca-Swiss base plates are just a hair narrower than their RRS counterparts.
Thanks John,
this helps indeed. RRS is not exactly easy to get here in Europe (and ordering in US always means customs+VAT on top), but this seems to be the solution I was looking for. So basically the lens foot would be connected to the rail, and the Y-shaped support would hold additionally the lens barrel. The rail itself seems to require another RRS-compatible clamp, or would Arca Swiss work? The Markins ball head does have an Arca clamp attached.

In this setup, the body itself would remain unsupported. I wonder if there is still a possibility to attach it to the tripod leg? Then I would have a three-point-support, that should be sufficient also for the 350 + converter.

On Amazon, there are various knock-offs of the RRS design. I wonder if anyone has some first hand experience with them?

Thanks a lot!

PS: Nice to see another Hasselblad V-System digital user! I sometimes get the impression in the fun with mf images thread that I'm the only one left. Which digital back is this? Concerning the SA, it really is a nice lens. I strongly recommend it, despite its rather high price tag. Before I also had the regular 350mm, which was also good, but the SA is a class of its own. I got for my regular 350mm also a tripod foot which made the stabilisation easier.

jng

Thanks John,
this helps indeed. RRS is not exactly easy to get here in Europe (and ordering in US always means customs+VAT on top), but this seems to be the solution I was looking for. So basically the lens foot would be connected to the rail, and the Y-shaped support would hold additionally the lens barrel. The rail itself seems to require another RRS-compatible clamp, or would Arca Swiss work? The Markins ball head does have an Arca clamp attached.
The rail is basically a long two-sided base plate that can be clamped from above and below. The bottom fits directly into your tripod head clamp, and the top catches the two-sided clamp that simultaneously clamps the rail and the camera or lens foot base plate.

In this setup, the body itself would remain unsupported. I wonder if there is still a possibility to attach it to the tripod leg? Then I would have a three-point-support, that should be sufficient also for the 350 + converter.
Ah, you have the teleconverter as well. Now I'm actually jealous! With or without the teleconverter, you might try clamping at the body and adjusting the height of the "Y" support to just touch the lens barrel when the assembled camera + lens is vertical. This should keep things in good alignment as the Y support catches any sag due to the weight of the lens, which as you know is quite front-heavy.

On Amazon, there are various knock-offs of the RRS design. I wonder if anyone has some first hand experience with them?
No experience with these. You might also look into Kirk Enterprise Solutions (also in the U.S.), which provides some clever and well-executed solutions as well.

PS: Nice to see another Hasselblad V-System digital user! I sometimes get the impression in the fun with mf images thread that I'm the only one left. Which digital back is this? Concerning the SA, it really is a nice lens. I strongly recommend it, despite its rather high price tag. Before I also had the regular 350mm, which was also good, but the SA is a class of its own. I got for my regular 350mm also a tripod foot which made the stabilisation easier.
Sadly, since I moved to the Cambo the old 500 series bodies don't see much use except for the occasional exercising of the shutters (which reminds me...). The back you see on my 501CM is an IQ160, which I eventually traded for an IQ3100. I might be one of the first to line up if/when Hasselblad ever comes out with a 100 Mp CFV back. In the meantime, with an adapter for the Cambo (and also for my X1D - yes I'm a gear slut) I still enjoy using some of the old Zeiss lenses in my kit: 100 CF, 150 C (purchased new in 1976!), 120 S-Planar, 180 CF and 250 Superachromat (I found the 350 CF to be just OK so sold it, but not until after making some nice images with it). The 350 SA + teleconverter is definitely on my "want" list but given the price, weight and anticipated frequency of usage "want" has yet to turn into "need."

John

anyone

The rail is basically a long two-sided base plate that can be clamped from above and below. The bottom fits directly into your tripod head clamp, and the top catches the two-sided clamp that simultaneously clamps the rail and the camera or lens foot base plate.

Ah, you have the teleconverter as well. Now I'm actually jealous! With or without the teleconverter, you might try clamping at the body and adjusting the height of the "Y" support to just touch the lens barrel when the assembled camera + lens is vertical. This should keep things in good alignment as the Y support catches any sag due to the weight of the lens, which as you know is quite front-heavy.

No experience with these. You might also look into Kirk Enterprise Solutions (also in the U.S.), which provides some clever and well-executed solutions as well.

Sadly, since I moved to the Cambo the old 500 series bodies don't see much use except for the occasional exercising of the shutters (which reminds me...). The back you see on my 501CM is an IQ160, which I eventually traded for an IQ3100. I might be one of the first to line up if/when Hasselblad ever comes out with a 100 Mp CFV back. In the meantime, with an adapter for the Cambo (and also for my X1D - yes I'm a gear slut) I still enjoy using some of the old Zeiss lenses in my kit: 100 CF, 150 C (purchased new in 1976!), 120 S-Planar, 180 CF and 250 Superachromat (I found the 350 CF to be just OK so sold it, but not until after making some nice images with it). The 350 SA + teleconverter is definitely on my "want" list but given the price, weight and anticipated frequency of usage "want" has yet to turn into "need."

John
Quick update: long lens support arrived and works well with a cheap arca-swiss knockoff-plate. I also purchased the Manfrotto 359-1 telephoto lens support to have a 3-point-support when needed. This, together with a sturdy Gitzo tripod and the Markins M20 should now be enough to keep everything nicely stable. Curious to try out the setup in practice!

Thanks a lot for your help!

PS: also the Cambo - V-lens route is interesting. If I ever find a cheap Wide DS body, I might also try it out.

Godfrey

Now to get out and put the Travel Tripod to some use! I'm about to head off on a cruise in the Caribbean, hmmm... :D
I took the PD Travel Tripod along with me on the cruise. It was not too much trouble to pack and carry, and it proved a plus to have with me, although I didn't use it for more than about 20 to 30 exposures out of the 1000 I just downloaded from my iPhone. Let's just say that this was perhaps one of my least likely trips to have much use for a tripod, and regardless of that it proved worth the trouble of carrying and did a good job with iPhone and Polaroid SX-70. :)

I'll have to catch up with the rest of the goings on...

G

Steve Hendrix

FYI - After a wait, Capture Integration now has In Stock status on Arca-Swiss L75 Core Leveler Classic and Flip Lock...

Steve Hendrix/CI

kdphotography

The gangs all here!

Arca Swiss: The Cube; The Mini-Cube; and The Baby Cube!

Interesting to note that the new Mini-Cube (Leveler 75) uses a RRS Dovetail 55 for the Welland tripod quick release system. The larger Cube uses the DVTL-40. The Mini-Cube is a much better fit for the RRS TVC 2 series legs. The Baby Cube is perfect with the Novoflex Triobalance (leveling built-in) which gives it the same amount of movements as the Leveler 75.

Ken

AS Cube Family WEB.jpg

sog1927

That's a Hasselblad V-series Zeiss 250mm Sonnar Superachromat.

Hi John,

Can you tell us what adapters you have on the Cambo that works with the long lens?
Which lens is that by the way, and how does it work on the Cambo for a long lens?
Thanks for your input.

John

Mexecutioner

The gangs all here!

Interesting to note that the new Mini-Cube (Leveler 75) uses a RRS Dovetail 55 for the Welland tripod quick release system. The larger Cube uses the DVTL-40. The Mini-Cube is a much better fit for the RRS TVC 2 series legs. The Baby Cube is perfect with the Novoflex Triobalance (leveling built-in) which gives it the same amount of movements as the Leveler 75.

Ken

View attachment 147104
Kudos for the cleanest garage I’ve seen! It’s tidier than most living rooms.

stephengilbert

Were you raised in a barn? You've got the claw feet on a wood floor.

The gangs all here!

Ken

View attachment 147104

jng

Hi John,

Can you tell us what adapters you have on the Cambo that works with the long lens?
Which lens is that by the way, and how does it work on the Cambo for a long lens?
Thanks for your input.

John
This is the "dumb" adapter from Cambo. It works great but you can't control the leaf shutter (aperture via stop-down mode only) so need to rely on a back w/electronic shutter. The only downside is that there's no tilt/swing but this isn't an issue for me with the longer focal lengths anyway.

There's a fellow on eBay that sells a custom adapter that incorporates the shutter cocking/firing mechanism from the old Hassy Flexbody. I believe that Andy Lerman might have one that's looking for a good home...

As mentioned above the lens is a Zeiss 250mm Superachromat - an amazing optic that renders beautifully and with no detectable chromatic aberration. A few years ago I tested it back-to-back with a Phase/Schneider 240mm blue ring lens @ 100 Mp and let's just say that I'm very happy with the old Zeiss...

John