The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The great tripod & head thread!

DougDolde

I modified my Arca-Swiss L75 Leveler by replacing the A-S Classic clamp with an RRS lever clamp and by adding an RRS dovetail to the bottom for easy mounting and removal from my tripod (which is equipped with an RRS clamp). I'm not a fan of either the A-S Classic clamp or their lever clamp. This modification isn't for the faint of heart and definitely voids the warranty.
Joe
Joe, How do you like the leveler? Looks like it has a lot of cube functionality but smaller

Pelorus

A question for Matt or Ken, or anyone else with a Novoflex TrioBalance: I'm tossing up between the 3 section and the 4 section carbon legs. The dealer tells me that the closed length is 11cm different 65cm vs 54cm in favour of the 4 section legs and 100g in favour of the 4 section. I'm not so fussed about those differences, it would be nice, but not at the expense of rigidity.

So the question is, how strong/rigid is the 4 section and how does it compare to the 3 section. To be used with an Alpa STC and the GFX 50R and the zooms.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
A question for Matt or Ken, or anyone else with a Novoflex TrioBalance: I'm tossing up between the 3 section and the 4 section carbon legs. The dealer tells me that the closed length is 11cm different 65cm vs 54cm in favour of the 4 section legs and 100g in favour of the 4 section. I'm not so fussed about those differences, it would be nice, but not at the expense of rigidity.

So the question is, how strong/rigid is the 4 section and how does it compare to the 3 section. To be used with an Alpa STC and the GFX 50R and the zooms.
I haven't noticed a rigidity difference between any of the 3 or 4 section leg options. I haven't tried anything longer than 120mm, though. The 5 section is another matter :)

Matt

kdphotography

The Novoflex Triobalance tripod I have is a smaller "travel" tripod. Though it is excellent and will do the job, this is not a tripod that I would want to use day-in-day-out. Sometimes for whatever reason you need a small portable solution---and I think the smaller Novoflex Triobalance model that I have is excellent in this regard. I'm not sure of the model number, but believe it has been updated by this model: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...ex_triobalc2844_triopod_tripod_base_with.html

For a small portable solution with a tech cam or GFX (maybe keeping within the footprint of the 32-64) the Novoflex Triobalance tripod works fine. I currently have the baby Cube L60 on my Novoflex. Where space permits when traveling (which generally is not an issue), I am more likely taking my RRS TVC-24, now with AS Mini-Cube L75. The RRS TVC-24 has legs that are a bit more stout and just gives that feeling of more stability. It has a wider spider and the legs sit more firmly.

If I am close to the car, hands-down, I grab the TVC-3 series and Cube.

ken

Pelorus

Thanks Ken and Matt. Ken, that's the same tripod I'm looking at. I've got to the stage where if it's heavy it stays at home...so this is about "rigid enough" to do the job. I just don't want flimsy and vibration prone. I recently took a heavier Gitzo to Japan for a month and it never left the hotel room. I reckon the best tripod is one that you use.

I also really need a levelling base and that's what attracted me to the Novoflex. I have an Arca Z1 that will go on top.

Matt seems happier than Ken with the TrioBalance...

I'd really like the Triopod Pro 75...but it's simply too heavy.

kdphotography

Don't get me wrong---I do like the Novoflex Triobalance, especially when paired with the AS L60 baby Cube.
But I rather use a more substantial tripod where possible, so the Triobalance, while not used often by me, is still my top choice for a small portable yet stable platform.

No doubt that the latest generation is better than mine. I'd just make sure that your ball head choice doesn't make this small tripod top heavy.

Btw, have you considered the L60? It is Dante Approved.:D

kdphotography

Sometimes you get one of those situations where you want/need a tripod---but maybe not supposed to have one. So you need super small, and maybe "disposable" tripod---so it needs to be somewhat inexpensive. Enter the Aoka tripod. 14" folded, including the ball head. Carbon Fiber and weighs 1 pound. About $90. Suitable for Fuji XT3 mirrorless sized cameras, though it will support a GFX50S to provide added support, but don't walk away...:shocked: An expandable center column piece is included which actually gets you close to working height, though obviously more stability challenged. 28" leg sections extended, no center column attached; up to 53.6" legs extended, with the columns attached and expanded.

Not Dante Approved. Way too cheap. ;)

Aoka travel tripod WEB.jpg

MGrayson

Pelorus,

In truth, I'm less enamored of the Novy tripods than I once was. They make a VERY flexible system, but for simple weight and rigidity, the RRS wins. I'm very much a "buy more tripod than I'll ever need" person, and I usually take the smallest and lightest thing I own, if anything. The Peak Design is a bit too wobbly for the GFX100, but the RRS 1 series is fine (!). As a result, the Triobalance, Gitzo 3, and Novy Pro 75 never get out to play.

I still have the Triobalance and L60 ready to use - it's a great combo.

Matt

Pelorus

Thanks once again Ken and Matt. I must confess I find the RRS website simply defeating, I can never find the information I want or understand the tripod. Lots of names like "versa base" or something but no clear description. :confused: On specs the 1 series doesn't seem to stack up against the Triobalance and I can't see how to get a really low profile levelling base which is the critical feature :confused:

I also did wonder whether anyone had experience of the 3 Legged Thing Mike. It's newish but seems to fit the bill.

Parameters really are:

• Low profile, built in levelling base
  • Weight less than around 1.65kg
  • Support 7-10kg
  • Height around 150-160cm max
  • Folded height around 65cm max

Kind regards
Mike

Pelorus

Thanks Ken, I think part of the issue here is that I'm not looking for a first tripod but for a really specific set of criteria and it feels like I set on an option and then it fades.

Great suggestion about contacting RRS and thanks for the link.

Regards
Mike

Mike, You may find it easier to email or call RRS and ask your questions. They are generally pretty good.

Here's another company that I ran across---no experience with them.

See, https://coloradotripod.com/products/centennial-tripod

ken

MGrayson

I realize that I gave the Peak Design tripod a poor review due to its handling of a GFX100 + 100-200 zoom. Today, I tried it with an iPhone (for video with holder included in the center column!) and with the Fuji X-H1 with 56/1.2 lens. In both cases, it was convenient and completely up to the task. For WA landscapes, I would not hesitate to use it with a Fuji X-series camera. Haven't tried it with FF. Would probably stick with the RRS 1-series in that case.

I know we're in the MF forum, but I thought this extremely clever design deserved credit for what it does well. (It also includes a plate and two hex keys attached to the frame).

Matt

med

Well after following this thread for ages I have finally "leveled" up my tripod situation to the heaviest I will ever need. I'll admit that my choice of Cube and RRS Series 4 legs are a few years behind the times and if I truly want to stay current I clearly need to add some Novoflex parts to the kit, but all in all I'm loving it! I previously was using a Gitzo 2 series with a bunch of ball heads and an Arca L60 leveller. I love the L60 (it looks hilarious at the apex of the 4 series!) and with the RRS leveling bowl it is enough for most shots, but not if I need to point the camera right at the ground. The Cube's "90 degree mode" is outstanding for that!

MJED0220.jpg

MGrayson

The subject of tripods and boredom came up in the Leica S images thread...

I have more tripods than camera bags (not actually true). That would be fine, but I don't use them. Once upon a time, I took a workshop with Guy and Jack, borrowed a Cambo/IQ160/SK43 kit, and used a Gitzo 3-series tripod. It was wonderful, as were the other workshops where I used a variety of tech cam gear and ... tripods.

Unfortunately, left to my own devices, I don't get up before dawn, go to scenic locations, set up the tripod, and wait for beautiful light. I walk around and look for subjects and beautiful light. This does not lend itself to tripod use. Now that image stabilization is so advanced, I can get away with an astonishing range of sensor size and lens variety and STILL not use a tripod. Only long exposures would get me to take one along, but despite having the filters, I just haven't gotten around to it.

Did I mention lazy? I'm lazy. I also got weight conscious due to an illness and tripods got even less appealing.

I don't need a tripod. So, of course, I have the Peak Design, a Feisol, RRS TFC-14, Novoflex Triobal, Triopod, Pro-75 (7 lbs!), and a half dozen sets of interchangeable legs, and the aforementioned Gitzo 3-series. Don't ask about tripod heads. Why so many? Because I like them. Just like I used to like cameras before I started taking pictures with them in earnest.

The RRS TFC-14 punches way above its weight, and would probably be sufficient for anything I might decide to do in the way of long exposures. Maybe all I needed were some light tripods. My plan was (is?) to sell all the Novoflex gear and get the RRS 2-series. Probably the short TFC-24. Less than 4 pounds with a light head.

What did I do? Here's where boredom comes in. The Gitzo 4553 is absolutely ridiculous. Thick, short, 5 leg sections, and 5 lbs. But there're mods! As mentioned above, one can replace the spider, replace the feet, and get the weight down to 4lbs. 2oz. (I just weighed it). Heavier and less convenient than the RRS 24, but it was fun to do. The Markins replacement spider is out of stock in the usual places, so I ordered it direct from Korea. It came today, and the surgery is complete. ANOTHER tripod I probably won't use. I still plan to sell the Novy set. I wasn't using it, you see. :ROTFL:

Matt (pictures to come)

Last edited:

MartinN

How funny the different ways trying to get away with handholding cameras. My solution is to minimize the pixel count:grin:. That's inverted getDPI.

dave.gt

The subject of tripods and boredom came up in the Leica S images thread...

I have more tripods than camera bags (not actually true). That would be fine, but I don't use them. Once upon a time, I took a workshop with Guy and Jack, borrowed a Cambo/IQ160/SK43 kit, and used a Gitzo 3-series tripod. It was wonderful, as were the other workshops where I used a variety of tech cam gear and ... tripods.

Unfortunately, left to my own devices, I don't get up before dawn, go to scenic locations, set up the tripod, and wait for beautiful light. I walk around and look for subjects and beautiful light. This does not lend itself to tripod use. Now that image stabilization is so advanced, I can get away with an astonishing range of sensor size and lens variety and STILL not use a tripod. Only long exposures would get me to take one along, but despite having the filters, I just haven't gotten around to it.

Did I mention lazy? I'm lazy. I also got weight conscious due to an illness and tripods got even less appealing.

I don't need a tripod. So, of course, I have the Peak Design, a Feisol, RRS TFC-14, Novoflex Triobal, Triopod, Pro-75 (7 lbs!), and a half dozen sets of interchangeable legs, and the aforementioned Gitzo 3-series. Don't ask about tripod heads. Why so many? Because I like them. Just like I used to like cameras before I started taking pictures with them in earnest.

The RRS TFC-14 punches way above its weight, and would probably be sufficient for anything I might decide to do in the way of long exposures. Maybe all I needed were some light tripods. My plan was (is?) to sell all the Novoflex gear and get the RRS 2-series. Probably the short TFC-24. Less than 4 pounds with a light head.

What did I do? Here's where boredom comes in. The Gitzo 4553 is absolutely ridiculous. Thick, short, 5 leg sections, and 5 lbs. But there're mods! As mentioned above, one can replace the spider, replace the feet, and get the weight down to 4lbs. 2oz. (I just weighed it). Heavier and less convenient than the RRS 24, but it was fun to do. The Markins replacement spider is out of stock in the usual places, so I ordered it direct from Korea. It came today, and the surgery is complete. ANOTHER tripod I probably won't use. I still plan to sell the Novy set. I wasn't using it, you see. :ROTFL:

Matt (pictures to come)
Wow...

Ever since Dave and John set me up with the Gitzo and RRS head, I have had no reason to venture into tripodland except to get a good bit of entertainment from the discussions. Like, who knew there were so many tripod and head combinations to do one simple thing? :ROTFL: Or, that bamboo wood flooring is so cool for the garage (the garage you park in, I presume, not the one where a mechanic like me actually works in). :thumbup:
This kind of information is golden!

Tripods have their place for sure. But I also like walking around to shoot and break the MF "rules". I learned that with the 503cxi.:) Perhaps I should be back shooting a Leica M again. Hmmm... that would complicate the tripod situation wouldn't it?

This thread is amazing, though, and I appreciate it more each time I visit,

Last edited:
M

mjr

The tripod chat is great, I feel completely inadequate as I bought a gitzo 12 years ago and even though one leg slides all the way out if I let it, it has lasted like a champ and gets used most days. I will replace it soon, may be too difficult from your side of the pond Matt but let me know when you have a plan for your Novoflex kit, would definitely be interested.

Cheers

Mat

MGrayson

The tripod chat is great, I feel completely inadequate as I bought a gitzo 12 years ago and even though one leg slides all the way out if I let it, it has lasted like a champ and gets used most days. I will replace it soon, may be too difficult from your side of the pond Matt but let me know when you have a plan for your Novoflex kit, would definitely be interested.

Cheers

Mat
Mat,

I thought you HAD all that Novoflex kit. Looking for spares?

Matt

M

mjr

Nope! Never replaced the Gitzo, it has always been the one I use, have looked at others but then I only needed one. I feel ashamed.

Mat

MGrayson

Nope! Never replaced the Gitzo, it has always been the one I use, have looked at others but then I only needed one. I feel ashamed.

Mat
My mistake. Not to talk down the Novoflex - they are beautifully crafted - but I find the flexibility does not live up to its promise. A solid Gitzo or RRS seems a better choice. But then, I don't use tripods...