The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone having problems with their XF?

Craig Stocks

For what it's worth - Ater a repair attempt my XF was replaced. So far tne new XF with the service release 2 firmware is working fine. On the plus side the replacement XF has the new battery door. On the minus side the viewfinder and body serial numbers don't match since they only replaced the body.

The more I use the XF/IQ3100 the more I like it. I really like the simple control layout, the seismic release and programable controls.

kdphotography

Craig, does the battery door replacement look like a user-replaceable item? Or back to dealer? No issues with my battery door, but would like to know. I'm more interested in hearing about a new latch locking mechanism for the prism viewfinder....

ken

Paul2660

Ken

It's a back to dealer fix from what CI told me. I am hoping to send my XF in mid December. Supposedly the prism fix is rock solid.

Paul Caldwell

Jeffrey

Well you asked, so here goes:

My XF was from the first batch manufactured. The camera with fully charged batteries would lock up. Remove batteries and start over. The camera while sitting on the tripod and no one touching it would cycle the mirror up and down. The battery cover was always a challenge, and the prism lock mechanism was always of concern. All of this took place while I was shooting in Namibia (Africa) making for a challenging trip to say the least!

I shipped the whole mess back to my dealer. The XF was sent to Japan where it spent one month in Japan Customs due to an issue having to do with Phase purchasing Mamiya. Apparently there is a known issue with a bad capacitor in the first batch of the XF's. The XF is back but I had other matters with the 3-100 back and lenses (my fault) that are being repaired.

Apart from that I love the camera and am looking forward to shooting again after all of my gear arrives. I will wait for 2 or 3 months after a new camera or back is released before I make a purchase hoping the bugs are worked out of the gear by then.

Jeffrey

Update:

After all of the components arrived back at the dealer from being repaired, more problems with the gear were discovered. I'm now almost 3 months with gear in repair with no prediction from my dealer (who is doing everything they can to help me) as to when a fully functioning camera system will be returned to me.

I'm not sensing Phase One has any sense of urgency to resolve my problems. A bit odd after having paid a fair bit of $$$ for this system.

Paul2660

I cannot address all of the concerns but Phase One has done the following:

Modified the battery door with a new design to keep the battery from slipping and causing the XF to show no battery

Redesigned the prisim with new style hooks that supposedly hold it in place with no wobble. The actual release I believe is the same as before which is unfortunate.

Both of the fixes need to be done by P1 in my case New York. P1 has told me that the prisim fix will not be available till mid January at the earliest. Also a bit unfortunate.

Paul Caldwell

kdphotography

Well that sucks, Jeffrey. Hope they figure it out quickly---though I'd guess that a straight swap for a new XF body would be more efficient.

Not having an issues with my XF battery door, nor any wobble with the camera prism. It's just that prism latch release that could be better shielded, imho.

ken

Craig Stocks

Hapily I can now report that after exchanging bodies I'm shooting with what appears to be a problem-free system. A big thanks to Capture Integration for providing outstanding customer service.