The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Affortable Digiback for my 501cm with liveview

gmfotografie

Hello,

as i photograph most of my jobs with my 5D3. I have also three Hasselbladbodies with 50mm, 80mm, 100mm and 250mm lenses ; love the shoot analog in my freetime.

In my studio I shoot often Food and Products. So I asked myself if it will be a step forward using a digital sensor for my V System ( also using this system for landscape photographing).

I don't need the highest resolution. I need a good liveview for accurate focusing on the tripod and a good iso performance up to 400 (in studio i shoot with flash).

can you suggest me backs for my system - possible to get something under 5000€?

all the best michael

darr

Hello,

as i photograph most of my jobs with my 5D3. I have also three Hasselbladbodies with 50mm, 80mm, 100mm and 250mm lenses ; love the shoot analog in my freetime.

In my studio I shoot often Food and Products. So I asked myself if it will be a step forward using a digital sensor for my V System ( also using this system for landscape photographing).

I don't need the highest resolution. I need a good liveview for accurate focusing on the tripod and a good iso performance up to 400 (in studio i shoot with flash).

can you suggest me backs for my system - possible to get something under 5000€?

all the best michael
Hi Michael,

I recommend the Hasselblad CFV-50c. I use it with ALPA, Flexibody and 501CM primarily in the studio, but occasionally on location. It is a CMOS sensor so ISO 400 is no problem. The LiveView is excellent. Prior to this, I used a P45 and there is a big difference in LiveView (really nothing on P45) and ISO performance due to CCD chip. In USA, you can buy new for $10,000. I would check eBay and the forums for used.

Kind regards,
Darr

JeRuFo

Yes, the CFV-50c is probably your best and maybe only bet, with your requirement for live-view.
Another option would be a Cambo Actus, so you can use the 5d3, but that would make for a totally different experience and would be a lot bigger and slower, which is not everyone's cup of tea..

torger

CFV-50c is what's closest, but it's more than €5000, even second hand.

Live view is the thing that narrows it down to only one option, and well possibly also the "good ISO 400" requirement. Many of the older CCD backs has a sorry excuse for a live view, at least when tethered, and they can work in a studio condition where you can control the light. It seems to me however that you want live view to work well outdoors and then CCD live view doesn't cut it. Some of the newer CCD backs have support to do it without tethering, but you still need tricks like ND filters etc to be able to use it outdoor.

pflower

CFV-50c is what's closest, but it's more than €5000, even second hand.

These are now on sale in the UK for £5,995. That is net of VAT but from your post I would expect you can recover the VAT. I have seen them second hand for under £5,000 from the Pro Centre and with the weak pound you are close to €5,000. I bought one last month new from Hasselblad directly and was given a nice discount so it may be worth while talking to your local Hasselblad rep.

My initial experience is that focusing through the WLF or a prism requires practice. But for your purposes the live view on a tripod is truly excellent. The files are wonderful.

gmfotografie

thank you for your help

when i photograph some lifestyle pics or making portraits i will use my 5diii wich gives me a great sharpnes if the bron light is setup correctly.

for 80% of my shooting i use a tripod an shoot tethered - so i don´t need autofocus.
okay for some stagging shoots with helicon an autofocus is cool but i think i can also realize this with step by step manually focusing.

and for landscape (freetime) i love the dynamic of mediumformat and the higher resolution for bigger prints.

it seams the cfv50c should be perfekt even if i will buy a tech camera

BUT

is it possible to mount a cfv50c back to an autofocus body?
maybe later it can be an interessting option

torger

is it possible to mount a cfv50c back to an autofocus body?
maybe later it can be an interessting option
No, it's V-mount only. This is what allows Hasselblad to have the CFV-50c so much cheaper than the H5D-50c, as the CFV-50c won't ever compete with their main H line.

Note that if you intend to use it on a tech camera later on there's issues with crosstalk on wide angle lenses, which may or may not be experienced as a problem to you depending on which lenses you use and how much you want to use movements.

gmfotografie

thank you !

i do not understand why it is not possbile to mount a cfv50c to an autofocus system via mounting plate - or something.
i can use serveral backs on alpa systems - on the hasselblad and phase systems.
why not the cfv-50c ?

best michael

torger

thank you !

i do not understand why it is not possbile to mount a cfv50c to an autofocus system via mounting plate - or something.
i can use serveral backs on alpa systems - on the hasselblad and phase systems.
why not the cfv-50c ?

best michael
Maybe I'm missing out on some system, but as far as I know all those with multi-adapter are manual focus systems. You need Hasselblad H mount to use a Hassy H camera, and Mamiya M mount for Phase One cameras.

gmfotografie

Does anybody use an IQ160 or IQ180 with the V System and old Hasselblad Lens ( Planar, Sonar...) ?
Whats your experience with this combination ?
Do you have sample pictures?

jng

I've been using the IQ160 on my V system and am quite happy with the image quality. Some of the old V lenses are better than others - based on my experience the 40 IF, 100, 120 (for macro), 150 and 180 are all excellent. I just sold off my 50 FLE - it's fine in the center but soft at the edges owing (I think) to field curvature which can actually be an advantage for pulling the foreground into focus.

You started this thread looking for an affordable back with live view. With that in mind, the IQ160 and IQ180 are probably not what you're looking for. However if you're shooting under controlled studio conditions you may be able to make live view work well enough for your purposes. There are a lot of advantages of the newer CMOS sensors but if you want the larger 40x54mm sensor and can work within the constraints of the older CCD design (poor high ISO performance, poor live view), it still gives great results without costing a king's ransom.

John

gmfotografie

THX - and using those backs with tethered shooting - Any experience with the P45+ IQ160 or IQ180 - tethered shooting in the studio?
(I usually use a mod light for stills and products)

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I have a similar experience. The 100, 150 and 180 are excellent. I have the non IF Distagon 40 and the Distagon 60/3.5 CF but also had the Distagon 50/4CF. I am pretty sure that all those lenses have problems in mid-field. Field curvature is part of the problem, for sure.

The Distagon 40/4CFE IF is an entirely new design. I wish I had it...

The 120/4 Macro Planar is very good for close up work, as you say.

Best regards
Erik

I've been using the IQ160 on my V system and am quite happy with the image quality. Some of the old V lenses are better than others - based on my experience the 40 IF, 100, 120 (for macro), 150 and 180 are all excellent. I just sold off my 50 FLE - it's fine in the center but soft at the edges owing (I think) to field curvature which can actually be an advantage for pulling the foreground into focus.

You started this thread looking for an affordable back with live view. With that in mind, the IQ160 and IQ180 are probably not what you're looking for. However if you're shooting under controlled studio conditions you may be able to make live view work well enough for your purposes. There are a lot of advantages of the newer CMOS sensors but if you want the larger 40x54mm sensor and can work within the constraints of the older CCD design (poor high ISO performance, poor live view), it still gives great results without costing a king's ransom.

John

jng

THX - and using those backs with tethered shooting - Any experience with the P45+ IQ160 or IQ180 - tethered shooting in the studio?
(I usually use a mod light for stills and products)
I don't know about studio work (I do this for fun, not to make a living) but the IQ160 is great for shooting tethered using the Capture One software. The back's screen is passable for checking focus in the field but I much prefer to shoot tethered whenever possible.

John