Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Big Hasselblad anouncement on the 22nd.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Big Hasselblad anouncement on the 22nd.

Where did the dial go? Is it one of those small button-like things on the back to the right of what seems to a an EVF?
    If it is 44X33 is way overpriced for 2017!
    It looks so much like a SWC.

Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post
    Seems like images have leaked now. Hasselblad X1D.... $9k body only, so my guess of $8.5k was not too bad. Looks like a 44x33mm sensor, 45mm/3.5 and 90mm/3.2 lens available for $2.3k and $2.7k. I'm hoping for a wide angle too, but it seems like the start is only two lenses.

The jagged button in the Hasselblad instagram photo seems to be a popup button located behind the shutter button.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Unfortunately, the LCD appears fixed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is it just me or does anyone else not see the dial that was on the second teaser picture released by Hasselblad? Is this "leaked" picture fake or is their a second camera out there?

Post Thanks / Like

Who knows!
    https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...18013352_o.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by markymarkrb View Post
    Is it just me or does anyone else not see the dial that was on the second teaser picture released by Hasselblad? Is this "leaked" picture fake or is their a second camera out there?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markymarkrb View Post
    I think the dial is there, but it's of popup type, look behind the shutter button. Press it, and it pops up, turn it to select whatever you select with that button, and press it again to move it out of the way. The image looks too good and too reasonable to be a fake.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It could be noted that the new mirrorless mount seems limited to the 44x33 size, and the new lenses are designed for that size, eg an "APS-C" of medium format. This should be expected though as it's intended as a prosumer camera, not to cannibalize on their own H line. The mirror box will stay in the pro segment for yet some time...
    This is the same thing that many said about the Sony E mount for quite some time before the A7 was released, and that was with the NEX's in hand and the exact mount specifications known. I would be shocked if Hasselblad locked themselves into a "crop" sensor size.

This is definitely an intriguing camera and I am looking forward to seeing proper specs, as well as what Fuji does.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you. For Hasselblad to lock this system with a 44X33 sensor automatically makes it a niche camera. Full frame 645 has to be. Or is niche market cameras the future for enthusiast photographers? Gosh, at least a 48X36!
    I grabbed my 500CM without lens and mirror up to take a good peak at the camera through the lens opening. Taking into account this sensor must be at around one third the distance to the lens flange, did visual calculations. If this new lens mount is as big as the V camera's, a 54X40 sensor could be possible. me thinks

Besides Canon, Nikon and Sony are too close in sensor size with their FF35 bodies at 1/3 the cost.
    Eduardo

QUOTE=med;695647]This is the same thing that many said about the Sony E mount for quite some time before the A7 was released, and that was with the NEX's in hand and the exact mount specifications known. I would be shocked if Hasselblad locked themselves into a "crop" sensor size.

This is definitely an intriguing camera and I am looking forward to seeing proper specs, as well as what Fuji does.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Uaiomex; 21st June 2016 at 12:24.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Unfortunately, the LCD appears fixed.
    Right, after experiencing a flip screen for the first time on the Z, I'm not sure I could go back. This seems even more important on a compact camera that you can easily hold at all sorts of heights and angles.

On one hand I'm happy that there's finally a mirrorless MF camera coming out, but on the other hand I didn't expect it to cost more than a 645Z, it seems Hasselblad is still banking on pedigree to some extent.

I also wonder how the viewfinder and electronics will perform with such a large sensor, and also the thermal limitations of cramming all that stuff into a small body. It's going to need a beefy CPU to handle that no matter how you cut it.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see anything wrong with building the system around the 44 X 33 sensor size. There's room to grow for pixel density without severely affecting lens performance (by requiring maybe one lower f stop for the same diffraction spec). This would be an easy camera for 16 X 9 two shot pano's as 10mm of shift is equal to 5 degrees of swing which is really pretty small. I was extremely happy with the files I got out of my Leaf CMOS sensor - even single shot. Now...... when will it be available?

Victor
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It's not about the people that have worked in the company built cameras and survived many ownership and CEO changes. I've seen many companies destroyed by poor leadership and top-down steering into the wrong products, I've personal experience about that even, very frustrating when you're one of the designers and forced doing something you don't believe in. The new CEO comes from luxury brands. The owners/board usually don't hire a CEO with that background by coincidence.

So far I've been surprised of how much camera and how little luxury that has come out from this new leadership. So it looks good so far, but I still think the owners have things to prove that they intend Hasselblad to be a relevant camera manufacturer rather than some sort of luxury brand living off the brand alone.

This new camera looks good to me so far, but it will be interesting to see how they market it, and what the feature set is. If it functions like a silly compact camera and is marketed to instagrammers there will be a big minus in my book, but if it really has logical functions and is a genuinely well-designed camera for photographers ("prosumers" or not), then it's on the plus side.
    Regardless of what this camera actually turns out to be, I hope it sells in sufficient numbers to keep them cooking along.

The whole digital vomitorium has been a boon to the photo / camera enthusiast crowd and to the industry types who's livelyhood was born of and rests solely on the phantasm of the "Internet Gear Review Hero"...but it has not at all been kind to actual photographers or camera makers.

That is why I hope it does well. I know people at Hasselblad who have been with the company for decades through thick and thin and the constant barrage of "Kodak Style" jabs and stabs has been enough to make a few of us want to punch someone.

Regardless of who is at the helm, it does no one any good to see a phenomenal brand like Hasselblad suffer. But alas, that indeed does seem to be a big part of the photo enthusiast hobby nowadays, the camera toting and live-for-the-internet A-holes who cheer at those who suffer.

Hasselblad needs to win...I need them to win.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Is it really you Victor?!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with building the system around the 44 X 33 sensor size. There's room to grow for pixel density without severely affecting lens performance (by requiring maybe one lower f stop for the same diffraction spec). This would be an easy camera for 16 X 9 two shot pano's as 10mm of shift is equal to 5 degrees of swing which is really pretty small. I was extremely happy with the files I got out of my Leaf CMOS sensor - even single shot. Now...... when will it be available?

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe these are the first pictures online from the X1D. SQUARES?
    Via Photo Rumors.
    Give it a click
    Hasselblad X1D Mirrorless Launch? - Album on Imgur
    Last edited by Uaiomex; 21st June 2016 at 13:13.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uaiomex View Post
    Is it really you Victor?!!!!
    Well..... I looked at myself in the mirror and I looked like me so I must be me.

Me

Post Thanks / Like

Who is K&M Camera? They don't list Hasselblad as one of their product lines. If I was truly interested I would be talking to Dave at CI.... At this point I'm only slightly tempted but its a great release for Hasselblad assuming its available sometime in 2016.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    Who is K&M Camera? They don't list Hasselblad as one of their product lines. If I was truly interested I would be talking to Dave at CI.... At this point I'm only slightly tempted but its a great release for Hasselblad assuming its available sometime in 2016.

Victor
    To quote someone at LL: "KM camera are one of the two legendary camera stores of NYC left in business."

Post Thanks / Like

I said it once in this forum almost 2 years ago and nobody reacted. This is the future.. Medium format, full frame APS-C and all the rest to mirrorless.!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    To quote someone at LL: "KM camera are one of the two legendary camera stores of NYC left in business."
    That may be but they don't list Hasselblad as one of their product lines. I don't care how legendary they are I'm not about to give anyone $1k up front when they may not even be a dealer. Just working with the info available.

Victor

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This certainly does look interesting. Look forward to more data
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uaiomex View Post
    Maybe these are the first pictures online from the X1D. SQUARES?
    Via Photo Rumors.
    Give it a click
    Hasselblad X1D Mirrorless Launch? - Album on Imgur
    I guess it's a part of the marketing strategy, to connect back to the legendary V system. The look of the camera itself is pretty "squarish" too, I think it looks really nice by the way, although I'd like to have a bit more of the retro look on the lenses too. I would expect the camera to have a square crop mode just like the CFV backs, and it's probably that the photographers have used for the album. But the sensor clearly shows that it is a 4:3 camera, and I'm glad for that.

Post Thanks / Like

But the sensor clearly shows that it is a 4:3 camera, and I'm glad for that.
    So Am I!

Victor

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The camera registry is clearly very short.

The sensor plane mark is visible. It is next one of the strap lugs and above the H.

It gives hope that even Canon EF lenses can be adapted for this camera.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

This actually looks good and I'd agree that this is potentially a game changer. I hope the next two lenses released are an ultra wide in the 20-28mm range and a long telephoto in the 150-180mm range. The price is expected although I hoped for a revolutionary price that was even lower (closer to 4.5-7k).
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Tell you the truth, I was hoping for something a bit more, well, revolutionary - like say a Phase IQ3 FF for the price of the Pentax. I know, it was too much to wish for. You can't get champagne for beer money, but sometimes you just might......

From what I am reading, the sensor seems to be the size and resolution as the Sony 50MP in the IQ250 or the Pentax 645z, whether it is exactly the same remains to be seen.

There is no tilt capable LCD, a big let down for those who've now become accustomed to it.

The new lenses are just that - new. Unless it can take legacy H glass it becomes very limited.

The body is smaller, that is very welcome and being mirrorless allows for the development of interesting adapters.

The price is what the Pentax was offered at initially, so no big gains there (but didn't honestly expect any).

So far, the only positive thing from my perspective is the smaller size and the Hasselblad reputation. Not sure I can get too excited - not yet anyway. Still it is exactly the kind of boost MF needs, it keeps the interest alive and affordable (relatively speaking).
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some have made the comment they hoped it would be the equivalent of a digital Mamiya 7II. Well, the basic body shape/design of the new X1D, at least from the few pics we have seen, does have a passing resemblance to a 7II. It will be interesting to see how close it comes in actual physical dimensions and weight.

I don't think many of us were really expecting the new Hasselblad to be a rangefinder.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Something seams to be wrong with the picture of the body plus the lens.
    The mount of the lens ( and the body) is not Paralell to the front of the lens

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Please don't let us have a new "crop vs. full frame" debate. Full frame can be anything from 35mm to 8 x 10. This is a new product family from Hasselblad, and apparently, it's 44 x 33 mm or thereabouts. That's almost twice the size of 35mm, so large enough for many, probably most. Also, a larger sensor would mean a larger body and not least larger, more expensive lenses, limiting the market for the camera.

Let's discuss what it is and not what it could've been. I've noticed that it doesn't seem to have a built in, steam driven can opener either
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I've noticed that it doesn't seem to have a built in, steam driven can opener either
    Are you really sure? I think, that this pop-up dial behind the shutter release is just for that.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess the big thing left for me to see are the specs. Are the two lenses announce focal plane type lenses or do they have leaf shutters? Is the body dual mode like say the Leica S to be able to support focal plane or central shutters? What's the minimum shutter speed... I'd hope it was at least 1/8000th of a second if it's a focal plane shutter. Is there an electronic shutter? What's with the rumors about removing the ability to tether? I think most people interested in this camera would like the ability to do so even if it's not a regular thing for them.

Other than had that it looks like it has potential. Seems like the freaky love child of a Mamiya 7II, a Leica T, a Hasselblad H camera, a Hasselblad V camera, and a Sony FE camera.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I guess the big thing left for me to see are the specs. Are the two lenses announce focal plane type lenses or do they have leaf shutters? Is the body dual mode like say the Leica S to be able to support focal plane or central shutters? What's the minimum shutter speed... I'd hope it was at least 1/8000th of a second if it's a focal plane shutter. Is there an electronic shutter? What's with the rumors about removing the ability to tether? I think most people interested in this camera would like the ability to do so even if it's not a regular thing for them.

Other than had that it looks like it has potential. Seems like the freaky love child of a Mamiya 7II, a Leica T, a Hasselblad H camera, a Hasselblad V camera, and a Sony FE camera.
    I agree. Tethering is important. I believe it would be a mistake to not be able to tether. A certain deal breaker for some.

We will know the specs in the morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlinkingEye View Post
    I agree. Tethering is important. I believe it would be a mistake to not be able to tether. A certain deal breaker for some.

We will know the specs in the morning.
    Yes we will

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post

I would be surprised if it doesn't offer wireless tethering.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I would be surprised if it doesn't offer wireless tethering.
    I'd be surprised if it did, the bandwidth required to send RAWS across wireless would be pretty epic no?

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny to read some Phase sales people on various forums poo pooing the new compact 'blad because its:

"Cropped medium format is not *really* medium format. But maybe the rich enthusiasts it’s pointed at won’t know the difference."

And other such gems... So the cropped sensor *is* MF when in an XF, but not in a 'blad? The knives are out, eh?
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-T View Post
    I'd be surprised if it did, the bandwidth required to send RAWS across wireless would be pretty epic no?
    I would also be surprised if it doesn't have pretty epic wireless bandwidth also

Look at it this way:
    This is a very portable camera and will be used a lot for on-site shooting where tethering to a laptop will be the rule. That laptop will often be some kind of MacBook, and since Apple seems hellbent on removing all kind of holes from their computers (they're probably afraid of data leaks or something), WiFi might soon be the only way to connect. With more serious processing capacity and competent editing software becoming available for tablet computers like the iPad Pro, wireless is already the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    It's funny to read some Phase sales people on various forums poo pooing the new compact 'blad because its:

"Cropped medium format is not *really* medium format. But maybe the rich enthusiasts itís pointed at wonít know the difference."

And other such gems... So the cropped sensor *is* MF when in an XF, but not in a 'blad? The knives are out, eh?
    They're probably scared out of their minds. The D810, A7R and now the K-1 are already serious threats to their products. Here then comes a mirrorless product that seems to be around the size of a standard 35mm DSLR body but with a sensor twice the size. This camera will have to be pretty bad not to be a very serious competitor to any medium format camera out there, and in this case, the Hasselblad name doesn't hurt either.

Post Thanks / Like

"Cropped medium format is not *really* medium format. But maybe the rich enthusiasts itís pointed at wonít know the difference."

Please point me there. I need entertainment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Please point me there. I need entertainment.
    https://www.cinema5d.com/hasselblad-...k-live-stream/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just love the "too late to the party" argument. Too late compared to all the other medium format mirrorless cameras or too late compared to Canon, Nikon etc. who haven't even launched a 35mm mirrorless yet? Oh well....

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Doug never heard about the Phase One IQ3 50…

But, he may have a point, I am not so sure about the advantage of a 50 MP 44x33 mm sensor over a 42 MP 24x36 mm one. No doubt, there is an advantage but it may be a small one.

On the other hand, larger is larger and I think we are going to see a lot of iterations from Sony on the sensor side.

Best regards
    Erik

"Cropped medium format is not *really* medium format. But maybe the rich enthusiasts it’s pointed at won’t know the difference."

Last edited by ErikKaffehr; 21st June 2016 at 22:37.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess no one wants to buy any IQ140, IQ350 any more and now they only care about the sales of the 100MP (whose stock level is low at the moment however).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As much as I hate people bashing on the XF which is an amazing camera. The other way around is only sad as well. Perhaps Doug really forgot all about Phase ones history which began with cropped sensors and even NOW there is ONLY ONE none cropped modern sensor which is the 100MP version

Now I know of the IQ360/380 but, sorry, they are old and I would never consider them for these price points.

Currently I shoot phase and I am looking for a second system. This one won't be for me as I probably go with Sony. However, it is a great package with a great price and I really hope they sell tons of them.

Sorry Doug but only because Phase can't over something familiar a cropped sensor is suddenly bad. In a year or two it will have a new version which can easily has 120 or more million.

The greatest thing I think is Sony is doing a lot on the sensor front. So there is no way we have to wait a long time for new developments like before. Steps will also be larger. Great times for photography.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If this medium format mirrorless camera have 50 Mpix, sensor shift, and Sensor tilt control for a digital camera could be game changer foe landscape photography. If not ??????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    As much as I hate people bashing on the XF which is an amazing camera. The other way around is only sad as well. Perhaps Doug really forgot all about Phase ones history which began with cropped sensors and even NOW there is ONLY ONE none cropped modern sensor which is the 100MP version

Now I know of the IQ360/380 but, sorry, they are old and I would never consider them for these price points.

Currently I shoot phase and I am looking for a second system. This one won't be for me as I probably go with Sony. However, it is a great package with a great price and I really hope they sell tons of them.

Sorry Doug but only because Phase can't over something familiar a cropped sensor is suddenly bad. In a year or two it will have a new version which can easily has 120 or more million.

The greatest thing I think is Sony is doing a lot on the sensor front. So there is no way we have to wait a long time for new developments like before. Steps will also be larger. Great times for photography.
    I posted this on another forum as well.

I think Phase one make great cameras. I know a bunch of people who work there and they are all talented and passionate. I happen to be a (passionate) Hasselblad user but that doesn't mean I feel I have to denigrate other brands. Research and buy what works for you or your business.

Post Thanks / Like

give me a 200c MS sesnor in one of these and i will glue a canon 17mm TSE onto it

and considering glue it to my hand/face !
    Keep It Simple.
    XQ2 / A7r / 15mm / 25mm / 28-35-50mm
    EOS M3 / 18-35mm

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully Doug will chime in here and explain what exactly medium format is...

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 7.32.06 pm.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  86.3 KB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 7.32.52 pm.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  109.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Utterly shameless!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-T View Post
    Hopefully Doug will chime in here and explain what exactly medium format is...
    No. Please don't encourage that discussion in this thread. Let's keep this about the new announcement.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
    (A very happy owner of Phase One backs who is delighted to see Hasselblad take this initiative and grow the MF market segment.)

Post Thanks / Like

In terms of the game changer bit, the most important part is the price, which of course leads up to a 44x33mm sensor. Hasselblad is for the first time interested to provide the masses with medium format cameras, and comes with a price that makes it quite possible. It's not as cheap as the 645z (yet), but it's a whole lot sexier to the general public. If Hasselblad succeeds with this new volume model, maybe in the longer term also the H system will come down in price.

Many would have liked 54x41mm 100MP full-frame at $9k, but it's just not realistic. Manufacturing cost wise it might actually be these days, but you can't just put the highest end sensor in there in their consumer product.

This product is not primarily aimed at current MF owners, but to those that look at buying say Leica SL or A7r-II and want something beefier. It will attract some current MF users too I think for sure, but I expect a bit more consumer-like UI and lacking some features pro users would want.

I wonder if the camera has a focal plane shutter. Unfortunately I think it won't have which makes it much more limited than the A7r regarding its use on Actus/Universalis, and then we'll probably not see a metabones adapter to run the TS-E lenses, which otherwise would be really cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Why is a focal plane shutter better for use on an Actus etc than an electronic shutter? I wouldn't have thought it mattered?

I wonder if the camera has a focal plane shutter. Unfortunately I think it won't have which makes it much more limited than the A7r regarding its use on Actus/Universalis, and then we'll probably not see a metabones adapter to run the TS-E lenses, which otherwise would be really cool.

Post Thanks / Like

If the thought police allow me to indulge in an opinion on the camera based purely on supposition then I think that key features will make or break its acceptance by certain sectors of the market.
    If there is no tethering then it's a non starter for a lot of working professionals, if it will not work with an Actus or similar that too will close off another market (especially if it offers nothing more than 8mp extra over an A7rII and a slightly bigger sensor) it's filming specs could be spectacular or purely a bullet point add-on like phase. Leica have followed the DSLR's and seen moving image as important to their mirrorless cameras, maybe HB will follow suit.

Though it's not an attractive business proposition for me (8mp extra and less movements on my lenses if it works with an Actus) it looks absolutely perfect for a walk around travel camera to stake stunning quality images with if that's your thing.
    A few more hours and things will be a lot clearer.
    never trust the opinion of anyone who lists a load of gear in their forum signature. Dealers do not email me asking to buy your products.