The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Big Hasselblad anouncement on the 22nd.

bab

The CEO comes from ultimate luxury market!
Game changers were iPhone, IPad, Tesla, Cable Box, Facebook, Sand wedge.
A new body to just use existing Hasselblad lenses won't make as much profits as a new body and new lens system. A new body with a revolutionary thing a ma gig and the ability to use many lenses from revered manufactures, that makes lots of profits.
Personally I would be sastisfied with a body that's so much lighter than the H and able to use auto focus H lenses in a square format. A body that has prosumer bells and whistles capable of shooting 14 FPS. A nice sidekick!

ErikKaffehr

Hello Mr Smith,

I feel you make a few good points. In my view, a well executed MFD version of the A7rII would be quite nice.

Most of the time I feel it is time to get rid of that flipping mirror. The main advantage of flipping mirror is the fast AF, but I don't think fast AF is what we buy into MFD for.

Best regards
Erik

I do wonder if it will genuinely be a "game changer" though, manufactures like to use these terms but often the reality is a Luke warm make-over of existing technology. The last phase release had a built in spirit level:thumbup: a game changer has to be almost disruptive to the marketplace or have some features that totally revolutionise how people make images or cause a huge shift in buying habits. I guess the only recent game changers have been the 5DIII, and sony7. These were brands the pro rental/dealers were not interested in previously (here in London) but now stock.

Be great to see something revolutionary/modular/on chip af etc and not what amounts to an overblown Sony RX1 with limited appeal.

will just have to be patient, only a few more days.

kdphotography

In many respects, particularly with regard to sensors and MFDBs, it seems Hasselblad is playing catch-up or follow the leader with Phase One. Imo, Hasselblad needs to be Hasselblad. I'd love to see Hassleblad return to its roots and offer a MFDB with a square sensor, and also a digital x-pan. Innovation is the foundation for game-changing technology. Photokina....

KeithL

I'm leaning towards a mirrorless offering, possibly square.

Self interest has me hoping for 36x36 with the option to use Leica M lenses.

Wishful thinking on my part? Probably. More likely panoramic.

Last edited:
M

mjr

Hmm, I have a feeling images taken with this new camera are out there to be seen if you look around for them!

Mat

jerome_m

Continuing with imagination...
maybe the new camera look is close to this... who knows ?

I think that the rounded corner is more likely to be a screen. The way it is mounted looks very much like the glass cover of the screen of the Leica T, or the glass cover of the screen from the iMac. So the image would show the back of the camera, not the front.

tjv

I think that the rounded corner is more likely to be a screen. The way it is mounted looks very much like the glass cover of the screen of the Leica T, or the glass cover of the screen from the iMac. So the image would show the back of the camera, not the front.
If that's the case, how about the angle of the "prism" hump and lack of hole for EVF in the middle?

pflower

If it's square format, I'll need to sell a few limbs pronto to buy one...
Speculation is fruitless and pointless. But it is fun and difficult to resist. Whatever Hasselblad is about to announce is finalised and ready to go. The 50c sensor is readily available. It produces a file size of approximately 8200x6200 pixels and a 16bit Tiff in excess of 240MBs. There is enough there to allow in camera formats of 1x1, 16:9, 2x3 and 4x3. The CFv-50c already allows a square crop but no other alternatives other than the full format.

I don't need more than the 50c back produces. The problem I have is the cropped sensor.

I shoot outside - I don't shoot in the studio and I do very little portraiture. But I have been thinking about upgrading to a H6D-50c but much of its capabilities (wi-fi, True Focus, glitzy lcd screen etc.) are for me otiose - nice but not essential. I love the H system but it is also very heavy for those of us who shoot on location without assistants. For my work on a 50c I would probably be happy with the 28mm or 35mm, 50mm and, less so, with the 80mm lenses. I also have a 120mm Macro Planar for the V system which I can use with an adapter but I haven't got the 35mm and 50mm lenses (although I do have a 50mm CF).

So if I went with the H6D-50c I would probably end up buying both the 28 or 35mm and the 50mm lenses. If I then upgraded to the H6D-100c I would still probably buy the 50mm and use my existing 80mm.

But that is a lot of money - and a lot of weight. So my hope is for a much lighter body with the 50c sensor, at a lower cost than the H6D-50c and which for the same money would allow me to buy the wider lenses as well.

But then you seldom get what you want.

Uaiomex

Could this be the world's first selfie-only camera? After all, it's Hasselblad we're talking about.
Sorry, couldn't help it. :loco: :D

Nick-T

Could this be the world's first selfie-only camera? After all, it's Hasselblad we're talking about.
I have said many many times that Hasselblad are a different company from the one that released the Lunar. I have participated in this thread to give what little information I can (under NDA) around the new thing that is being revealed on the 22nd.

I'm not interested in defending errors that Hasselblad have made in the past to people who are not Hasselblad customers.

See you on the 22nd.

I'm out of this thread.

bensonga

Thanks for beating a dead horse Uaiomex...again and again and again.

Nick-T - I appreciated your comments and am sorry to see you go. I'll be checking in on the hasselbladdigitalforum.

Gary Benson
503CWD-16II and several 5xx film cameras

Uaiomex

Actually I don't think Hasselblad is deplorable anymore. I am truly impressed with the H6D and if they produce another hit like they just did recently, they will have my full admiration again. Just like in the 70's, 80's and 90's.
However, I didn't mean it as a bash but just as plain and silly joke (remnants of the company's terrible mistakes). Sorry if it made you mad or anything.
Best

Thanks for beating a dead horse Uaiomex...again and again and again.

Nick-T - I appreciated your comments and am sorry to see you go. I'll be checking in on the hasselbladdigitalforum.

Gary Benson
503CWD-16II and several 5xx film cameras

torger

A bit sensitive are we? To me Hasselblad certainly deserves to be ridiculed still for a few years for the Lunar stuff ;). It will take a lot more than the H6 to repair the public image after such an endeavor. Just let us hope that this new product is right on track for that, and I don't doubt that it is.

I have a hard time believing that it would be square format, or even panoramic. I think the sensor will be 44x33, possibly with crop modes. It would be nice if it actually isn't the Sony sensor though, the monopoly is a bit boring. If it's say CMOSIS it's more likely that it would be a custom format.

M

mjr

Morning

For me, adding more options to crop in camera would not be that ground breaking in itself, there are cameras that will show a crop in the viewfinder, doesn't seem enough on it's own so there must be more to it. It would be great if it will have internal sensor rather than a thinner body to mount existing backs to. I am guessing it will have a panoramic sensor with the ability to shoot square too, although cropping after the fact in post has never been much of an issue. There are some very nice panoramic shots being shown on some websites, I guess that they are a good hint as to what it is.

Not long now!

Mat

gazwas

Looks like and Alpa FPS but will hopefully be more advanced in the same way as a Sony A7..... Now that would be a camera I'd be interested in purchasing, especially if they released lens adapters for anything from Canon lenses upto modern Rodenstock's.

Uaiomex

Square format sure is the least possible sensor option but I've advocated in the past for it (even writing and publishing an article at TOP) mainly for the purpose of keeping the camera always the upside up. Formatting horizontal to vertical and back at the touch of a button. Or doing it later in post just like we used to do in the film days with the legendary and still amazing "V".

A variation of this theme is a built-in rotating rectangular sensor but I'd rather go for the square sensor for its instant gratification. Final square images could be achieved too by slight cropping or by using a lens with a bigger image projection. All possible mirrorless style with square LCD screens and square EVF's.

For me that will be like finally landing on the third millenium.

A bit sensitive are we? To me Hasselblad certainly deserves to be ridiculed still for a few years for the Lunar stuff ;). It will take a lot more than the H6 to repair the public image after such an endeavor. Just let us hope that this new product is right on track for that, and I don't doubt that it is.

I have a hard time believing that it would be square format, or even panoramic. I think the sensor will be 44x33, possibly with crop modes. It would be nice if it actually isn't the Sony sensor though, the monopoly is a bit boring. If it's say CMOSIS it's more likely that it would be a custom format.

Last edited: