The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Big Hasselblad anouncement on the 22nd.

tjv

Morning

There are some very nice panoramic shots being shown on some websites, I guess that they are a good hint as to what it is.

Not long now!

Mat
Where have you seen these? I'm interested to see some, even just because I like the format...

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I think that Uaiomex used to be a Hasselblad customer, if V-system counts…

The non information you supply is not very useful. So we now that it is hand made in Sweden, that could still be a bling camera.

I would much prefer a competent camera assembled from parts made by competent companies at a competent place. That competent place may be Gothenburg in Sweden, of course. But where assembly is done doesn't matter to me. How well it is done matters a lot.

Hopefully Hasselblad will unveil a real picture taker with a first class medium format sensor. Competing with 24x36 or smaller doesn't make sense to me.

Best regards
Erik

I'm not interested in defending errors that Hasselblad have made in the past to people who are not Hasselblad customers.

See you on the 22nd.

I'm out of this thread.

M

mjr

tjv, it's pure unsubstantiated guesswork on my behalf, I have absolutely no real knowledge, I took a look at recent blog posts from Ming and noticed a lot more 2:1 and 1:1 format images than normal so made a guess that he had used it as he says he has knowledge of the camera and is a Hasselblad guy, he has since said though that he has not posted any images from the new camera so ignore me. If you like Ming's style, the recent posts i was talking about have some very nice images in them so worth a look anyway!

Mat

CSP

Hi,

The non information you supply is not very useful. So we now that it is hand made in Sweden, that could still be a bling camera.

hm, original authentic italian prosciutto is also made in italy even when the meat comes from poland or china. the european laws are very industry friendly so made in sweden means in fact nothing and only sales promoter care about this.

tjv

Well, he says "It's twice as good as what they're (Hasselblad) saying." Fingers crossed there's more than one trick in the box!

tjv, it's pure unsubstantiated guesswork on my behalf, I have absolutely no real knowledge, I took a look at recent blog posts from Ming and noticed a lot more 2:1 and 1:1 format images than normal so made a guess that he had used it as he says he has knowledge of the camera and is a Hasselblad guy, he has since said though that he has not posted any images from the new camera so ignore me. If you like Ming's style, the recent posts i was talking about have some very nice images in them so worth a look anyway!

Mat

drevil

Staff member
i hope its going to be the A7 of medium format.....virtually able to mount nearly all MF lenses that exists

Pradeep

I have absolutely no knowledge of Hasselblad systems, never having used one.

For me, a switch from Pentax 645z would require
1. An equally good or better sensor, 4:3 ratio is OK for me though I prefer wider formats.
2. Smaller, lighter body
3. Mirrorless
4. Ability to use the legendary H lenses and more
5. Priced around the same or less than the Pentax

Not interested in higher resolution a-la Phase.

It is possible the new launch would meet most of my criteria. That would really make it interesting.

KeithL

I have absolutely no knowledge of Hasselblad systems, never having used one.

For me, a switch from Pentax 645z would require
1. An equally good or better sensor, 4:3 ratio is OK for me though I prefer wider formats.
2. Smaller, lighter body
3. Mirrorless
4. Ability to use the legendary H lenses and more
5. Priced around the same or less than the Pentax
Hi Pradeep,

My bet is that the new offering will meet 4 of your 5 requirements.

Guess which is the odd man out ;)

Uaiomex

Maybe Sony has designed a variant of the 50C sensor with integrated AF for Hasselblad mirrorless MF body (rumor of course). I think is not crazy to think on the possibility of a little partnership between Sony and Hasselblad.
The very latest "confirmed rumor" talks about a 50mp bigger than FF sensor. The odd format rumor is buried or so I understood.

Best sensor inside best possible body at the best posible price! Oh, one can dream on and on.
Eduardo

i hope its going to be the A7 of medium format.....virtually able to mount nearly all MF lenses that exists

Uaiomex

The only thing that comes to my mind is a multi lens body. Yes, I know, too loco.
most likely the teaser is engineered for misleading then tomorrow perhaps, they will start unveiling a little more truth.

Some fellow at mingthein blog suggested that we are facing the top plate and not the front. Grip hump to the right, VF hump to the left. Problem I see, is that then we should be seeing a hint of the lens mount. Nevertheless, it is an interesting theory.

View attachment 119246

Anybody an idea what might be this "hole" down right?

Pradeep

Hi Pradeep,

My bet is that the new offering will meet 4 of your 5 requirements.

Guess which is the odd man out ;)
Heh heh, bet that would be #5 Keith. ;)

Well, as long as it is not in the stratosphere like Phase it would be interesting, else no matter what is offered it could never be a 'game-changer'.

Chris Giles

Wouldn't it be cool is you could fit HC lenses on it and it did have the 50mp 1.7x sensor in it. I'd be happy.

But then wouldn't we need a spacer for the lens mount and wouldn't that mean a new line of lenses in production for use without a spacer?

AndreasAM

The only thing that comes to my mind is a multi lens body. Yes, I know, too loco.
most likely the teaser is engineered for misleading then tomorrow perhaps, they will start unveiling a little more truth.

Some fellow at mingthein blog suggested that we are facing the top plate and not the front. Grip hump to the right, VF hump to the left. Problem I see, is that then we should be seeing a hint of the lens mount. Nevertheless, it is an interesting theory.
This picture is floating around on the net. Not saying or knowing this is the real thing, never seen it before, but it could make sense.
A unit with a mounting plate (hence the rounded corners and holes for screws.)
The three shiny buttons on the top, back, can be the interface.

Gives room for interchangeable different adapters, H, V and a new one on the front, with different flange distances. There is the possibility for exchanging or updating the sensorback and this will be relative easy, even in the field and is futureproof. And all the critical electronics are integrated (weatherproof?).

This leaves you the aluminium grip/body with shutter, second display, battery and attachment EVF's in different types. Screen will be on the sensor's back. A bit like a hitech Alpa.
Even an HT/S is possible instead of the adapter, thus preventing a crop of 1.5?

Interesting to see if this modular slick design is the one. If so kudo's to Hasselblad. I think it could work... We will wait and see

Attachments

f8orbust

My guess: mirror-less, 50MP 44 x 33 CMOS sensor, with a short flange/focal distance allowing adapters to be used for a wide variety of lenses and the use of the camera as a ‘digital back’ on something like an Actus. If that all happens at a reasonable price point (one that bridges the cost gap between high-end small-format digital and medium format) then yes, as far as MF goes, it could be a game changer.*

The transition from film to digital was particularly difficult for MF. Though HB have clearly made some odd choices in the past, you do what you’ve got to do to survive. We should be thankful they’re still here, when sadly the same can’t be said for Contax, Rollei, Bronica etc. Hell, even Phase One has had its financial problems; maybe if they had been more 'creative' in their product line they now wouldn’t be (>50%) owned by a British private equity firm.

HB has the know-how, it has the lens line-up, it has the history, tradition and awareness associated with the brand; they now just need to put it all together. I’ve liked what I’ve heard from HB’s CEO, so I for one am prepared to cut them some slack and err on the side of optimism.

Jim

*Pentax almost got there (they may still yet), but the lack of modern lenses for their 645D/Z system is puzzling.

Last edited: