The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Big Hasselblad anouncement on the 22nd.

AndreasAM

That's the Hasselblad A5D Aerial. You can see it on HB's site: A5D Aerial - Hasselblad
Thanks for the information.

I suspected that it was an aerial camera, but I wasn't sure. But the longer I think about it, the concept as described is for me still a strong contender. The modular design can be the "game changer".

My initial hesitation was the length between sensorplane of the sensorback and mounting plate/adapter in the picture.
In a similar concept for the new Mirrorless camera this could be significantly reduced, thus making this concept really compact and much more portable. The concept fits within the teaser picture.

Still have to wait and see......

iiiNelson

There seems to be some familial resemblance to me when you look at this picture below

Excited to see what the big reveal turns out to be. by Tre Nelson, on Flickr

and the slope of the possible top plate of this one below

My dream film camera. Hasselblad X-Pan/Fuji TX-1. by Tre Nelson, on Flickr

I don't know that it's absolute proof but this is where my original X-Pan thoughts came from after seeing both pictures. There's still the "who would make a custom sensor for relative low volumes" question to answer of course but if the company was already buying sensors from the company or there was a strategic partnership then it's possible that would drive costs down somewhat.

tjv

The black cut out on the left of frame could simply be for an AF light or some such thing. Regardless, the way the body left side of frame curves toward the viewer looks like a grip. Could be tiny!

JohnBrew

Speculation is futile. Wait for the announcement!

I did hear that the sensor is a unique configuration so that could be the game changer. I'm an old fart, anything which would reduce the weight of current MF and still produce the image I expect from MF, I'm in.

MrSmith

That's not even a pic of the camera but the drone controller/screen. The joystick is just out of crop.:watch:
Stabilised 4K and hi res still capture in an easy to use package with Hblad image quality. Camera detaches for selfies and go-pro style active lifestyle activities, it even has a 'share' button for live uploading to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Can't reveal my sources but it's a real game changer.:thumbs:

modator

Today Hasselblad sent a reminder on 22 event, on the invite there is another side of the arriving camera...

here's my updated design... considering the images leaked and speculations.

It's highly probable the new born is a MF mirrorless camera with flange box attachment instead of the classical hole, to permit the use with view cameras or tilt / shift adapters without lens (not like the actual HTS).

The CMOS is probable the 50Mpixel with implementation of AF phase detection on the chip or something like that ?

Stay tuned for next information.

Domenico.

mbroomfield

Here's mine ...

I know we've all seen these comments before but I thought it useful (perhaps just for me :) ) to put them together.

• "in the case of one wholly new model in particular, photography fans will be over the moon" Jonathan Margolis
  • "still has plans to open up its professional dominated market to a wider audience" ... "from professional to the prosumer. That’s the arena we see as a next step" Oosting/CEO
  • "Portability will be key - but how and which ways it will be portable is yet to be announced" Oosting/CEO
  • "...something aimed at the prosumer - which we see as the dedicated amateur, passionate enthusiast, semi-professional etc. - already shooting with a DSLR. Part of this audience already buys into Leica and our first step would be to look at this area, prices and portability" Oosting/CEO
  • "Not an X-pan" Nick T
  • "Not a rebadged ..." Nick T
  • "Not made by Fuji" Nick T
  • Not just marketing fluff (my rewording, vis "game changer") Nick T

Aimed at prosumer, to me means it's not priced in the "professional" band like digital backs, and pricing alone will allow a wider audience.
Portable: yes, MF mirrorless is a lot more portable than other MF options.
Already shooting DSLR: I take this to mean that if one is already shooting DSLR/FF then this is something to complement rather than try to move you from DSLR/FF, so a different format could do the trick.
Already buying into Leica: not sure what that means .. RF seems unlikely, electronic RF like the X-Pro? I think someone already mentioned the port/cover in the 1st image. I think this would allow RF on all lenses (with adapters for registration) to be used right? Quite important for older non-AF lenses.

So I think that's my guess. Digital RF, probably the 50MP Sony built in (ie not a separate back) as it's been out for a while and is probably cheaper than any newer offering to keep the price lower to enter the prosumer. No AF, also to keep cost down. New dedicated lenses? Probably yes, 2 or 3 to start with.

Does this pass the "not just marketing fluff" comments and "game changer" quotes?
I think it probably does for me, although I'm not sure if I'll play the game (I do have a LOT of MF lenses though :) ) ...

And I don't think it'll have a fixed lens. Not enough of a game changer, just a bigger version of the Sony RX1 series. Perhaps a series of them, with WA to Tele like the Fuji 69's? Maybe, but then as a collection too expensive ... a digital RF ILC is more like the Mamiya 7, albeit with a smaller sensor than 6x7

Uaiomex

But it is a lot of fun John!:D
Weight reduction will be much welcome. My main interest in this announcement is price.
I hope for a MF camera with a relative price comparable when in the film days. Hey, stop! They said. "Game Changer".
If FFD35 is around $3K, FFDMF cameras should be parked around $7.5K. With a 33X44 sensor a full function body should park somewhere in between. Likely a bit inclined to the upper end. So we should expect a 50c sensor in a mirrorless body just over $5K. Likely? Not much likely from Hasselblad. But I bet Pentax could easily do it. And Sony too of course.
Eduardo

Speculation is futile. Wait for the announcement!

I did hear that the sensor is a unique configuration so that could be the game changer. I'm an old fart, anything which would reduce the weight of current MF and still produce the image I expect from MF, I'm in.

Last edited:

cerett

Here are my thoughts on this "game changer." Mirrorless camera at around 50 megapixels that will accept all of the current H lenses. Perhaps there will be adaptors that will make it compatible with Nikon, Canon or Leica lenses. Price will be somewhere between $5-10K. Maybe built in Sweden with heavy collaboration from Sony. I anticipate that many of the features in the A7RII will be incorporated into this camera. I certainly hope the menu is better organized and easier to understand! Whether this will impact my recent purchase of the H6D remains to be seen.

bensonga

Here are my thoughts on this "game changer." Mirrorless camera at around 50 megapixels that will accept all of the current H lenses. Perhaps there will be adaptors that will make it compatible with Nikon, Canon or Leica lenses. Price will be somewhere between $5-10K. Maybe built in Sweden with heavy collaboration from Sony. I anticipate that many of the features in the A7RII will be incorporated into this camera. I certainly hope the menu is better organized and easier to understand! Whether this will impact my recent purchase of the H6D remains to be seen.
Would lenses designed for a 35mm FF sensor have enough coverage for the Sony MF sensor in the CFV-50c etc, assuming a sensor of that size is what Hasselblad puts in this new camera?

Gary

cerett

Would lenses designed for a 35mm FF sensor have enough coverage for the Sony MF sensor in the CFV-50c etc, assuming a sensor of that size is what Hasselblad puts in this new camera?

Gary
Good question. Again, I am intrigued by the phrase "game changer." If this is a camera designed for MF and H lenses only, the answer is no. I would think Hasselblad might want to appeal to a broader market. But who knows at this point. Just mere speculation on my part.

miska

But will it kick the hornet's nest, and provide an adapter for Phase One lenses, with perhaps even AF (perhaps not as fast as on the XF, but something...) ?
Now that would be a game changer, wouldn't it ? One camera to rule them all...

A bit sensitive are we? To me Hasselblad certainly deserves to be ridiculed still for a few years for the Lunar stuff ;). It will take a lot more than the H6 to repair the public image after such an endeavor. Just let us hope that this new product is right on track for that, and I don't doubt that it is.

I have a hard time believing that it would be square format, or even panoramic. I think the sensor will be 44x33, possibly with crop modes. It would be nice if it actually isn't the Sony sensor though, the monopoly is a bit boring. If it's say CMOSIS it's more likely that it would be a custom format.
I too seriously doubt it will be either panoramic or square.

Gary
35mm lenses, with some exceptions, have obviously not the coverage needed, but it would be possible to make an adapter which allows crop mode use of FF lenses (like Leica SL makes for T lenses).

Having said that, I would be very, very, very surprised if Hasselblad offered a Adapter for Leica S, PhaseOne, or even Nikon or Canon lenses. There will be a new lens line and adapters for H and V lenses, that's it.

The problem with square format was/is that it should be 56x56 or so, in order to use the V lenses intended for that format, especially the wide angles, but also some iconic lenses with character like the 110mm Planar FE.

And as we know this would be still very expensive to produce. So it seems quite clear to me that a prosumer camera from Hasselblad won't have a square format (sure they may offer a electronic mask with 33x33).

cerett

But will it kick the hornet's nest, and provide an adapter for Phase One lenses, with perhaps even AF (perhaps not as fast as on the XF, but something...) ?
Now that would be a game changer, wouldn't it ? One camera to rule them all...
I would be shocked if there was an adapter for P1 lenses, but anything is possible. For sure, to make this work, they will need to accommodate current owners of H lenses.