The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Big Hasselblad anouncement on the 22nd.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's funny to read some Phase sales people on various forums poo pooing the new compact 'blad because its:

"Cropped medium format is not *really* medium format. But maybe the rich enthusiasts it’s pointed at won’t know the difference."

And other such gems... So the cropped sensor *is* MF when in an XF, but not in a 'blad? The knives are out, eh? :watch:
They're probably scared out of their minds. The D810, A7R and now the K-1 are already serious threats to their products. Here then comes a mirrorless product that seems to be around the size of a standard 35mm DSLR body but with a sensor twice the size. This camera will have to be pretty bad not to be a very serious competitor to any medium format camera out there, and in this case, the Hasselblad name doesn't hurt either.

hcubell

It's funny to read some Phase sales people on various forums poo pooing the new compact 'blad because its:

"Cropped medium format is not *really* medium format. But maybe the rich enthusiasts it’s pointed at won’t know the difference."

And other such gems... So the cropped sensor *is* MF when in an XF, but not in a 'blad? The knives are out, eh? :watch:
Please point me there. I need entertainment.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Doug never heard about the Phase One IQ3 50…

But, he may have a point, I am not so sure about the advantage of a 50 MP 44x33 mm sensor over a 42 MP 24x36 mm one. No doubt, there is an advantage but it may be a small one.

On the other hand, larger is larger and I think we are going to see a lot of iterations from Sony on the sensor side.

Best regards
Erik

Last edited:

I guess no one wants to buy any IQ140, IQ350 any more and now they only care about the sales of the 100MP (whose stock level is low at the moment however). :grin:

Christopher

As much as I hate people bashing on the XF which is an amazing camera. The other way around is only sad as well. Perhaps Doug really forgot all about Phase ones history which began with cropped sensors and even NOW there is ONLY ONE none cropped modern sensor which is the 100MP version

Now I know of the IQ360/380 but, sorry, they are old and I would never consider them for these price points.

Currently I shoot phase and I am looking for a second system. This one won't be for me as I probably go with Sony. However, it is a great package with a great price and I really hope they sell tons of them.

Sorry Doug but only because Phase can't over something familiar a cropped sensor is suddenly bad. In a year or two it will have a new version which can easily has 120 or more million.

The greatest thing I think is Sony is doing a lot on the sensor front. So there is no way we have to wait a long time for new developments like before. Steps will also be larger. Great times for photography.

If this medium format mirrorless camera have 50 Mpix, sensor shift, and Sensor tilt control for a digital camera could be game changer foe landscape photography. If not ??????

Nick-T

As much as I hate people bashing on the XF which is an amazing camera. The other way around is only sad as well. Perhaps Doug really forgot all about Phase ones history which began with cropped sensors and even NOW there is ONLY ONE none cropped modern sensor which is the 100MP version

Now I know of the IQ360/380 but, sorry, they are old and I would never consider them for these price points.

Currently I shoot phase and I am looking for a second system. This one won't be for me as I probably go with Sony. However, it is a great package with a great price and I really hope they sell tons of them.

Sorry Doug but only because Phase can't over something familiar a cropped sensor is suddenly bad. In a year or two it will have a new version which can easily has 120 or more million.

The greatest thing I think is Sony is doing a lot on the sensor front. So there is no way we have to wait a long time for new developments like before. Steps will also be larger. Great times for photography.
I posted this on another forum as well.

I think Phase one make great cameras. I know a bunch of people who work there and they are all talented and passionate. I happen to be a (passionate) Hasselblad user but that doesn't mean I feel I have to denigrate other brands. Research and buy what works for you or your business.

UHDR

give me a 200c MS sesnor in one of these and i will glue a canon 17mm TSE onto it

and considering glue it to my hand/face ! :grin:

Nick-T

Hopefully Doug will chime in here and explain what exactly medium format is...

Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 7.32.06 pm.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-06-22 at 7.32.52 pm.jpg

gerald.d

No. Please don't encourage that discussion in this thread. Let's keep this about the new announcement.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
(A very happy owner of Phase One backs who is delighted to see Hasselblad take this initiative and grow the MF market segment.)

torger

In terms of the game changer bit, the most important part is the price, which of course leads up to a 44x33mm sensor. Hasselblad is for the first time interested to provide the masses with medium format cameras, and comes with a price that makes it quite possible. It's not as cheap as the 645z (yet), but it's a whole lot sexier to the general public. If Hasselblad succeeds with this new volume model, maybe in the longer term also the H system will come down in price.

Many would have liked 54x41mm 100MP full-frame at $9k, but it's just not realistic. Manufacturing cost wise it might actually be these days, but you can't just put the highest end sensor in there in their consumer product.

This product is not primarily aimed at current MF owners, but to those that look at buying say Leica SL or A7r-II and want something beefier. It will attract some current MF users too I think for sure, but I expect a bit more consumer-like UI and lacking some features pro users would want.

I wonder if the camera has a focal plane shutter. Unfortunately I think it won't have which makes it much more limited than the A7r regarding its use on Actus/Universalis, and then we'll probably not see a metabones adapter to run the TS-E lenses, which otherwise would be really cool.

tjv

Why is a focal plane shutter better for use on an Actus etc than an electronic shutter? I wouldn't have thought it mattered?

I wonder if the camera has a focal plane shutter. Unfortunately I think it won't have which makes it much more limited than the A7r regarding its use on Actus/Universalis, and then we'll probably not see a metabones adapter to run the TS-E lenses, which otherwise would be really cool.

MrSmith

If the thought police allow me to indulge in an opinion on the camera based purely on supposition then I think that key features will make or break its acceptance by certain sectors of the market.
If there is no tethering then it's a non starter for a lot of working professionals, if it will not work with an Actus or similar that too will close off another market (especially if it offers nothing more than 8mp extra over an A7rII and a slightly bigger sensor) it's filming specs could be spectacular or purely a bullet point add-on like phase. Leica have followed the DSLR's and seen moving image as important to their mirrorless cameras, maybe HB will follow suit.

Though it's not an attractive business proposition for me (8mp extra and less movements on my lenses if it works with an Actus) it looks absolutely perfect for a walk around travel camera to stake stunning quality images with if that's your thing.
A few more hours and things will be a lot clearer.

torger

Why is a focal plane shutter better for use on an Actus etc than an electronic shutter? I wouldn't have thought it mattered?
I think it's either focal plane or leaf shutter. AFAIK the Sony sensor can't do fully electronic shutter. Or am I wrong? It might be an updated sensor though with some new features... but I doubt it, except possibly a CFA mod for autofocus.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

View attachment 119289
View attachment 119290
I agree with the other poster that I hope he doesn't explain in THIS thread but it seems like sour grapes on his part.

Comparing FF MF to cropped sensor MF is the equivalent of going from FF to APS-H in 35mm terms. Yes it's smaller but the crop factor is less that going from a A7RII to an A6300. Both can produce outstanding results in the right hands.

It sure didn't stop him from trying to sell me, "what I know now to be aren't "real" MF," IQ140/Credo 40 a couple years ago when I was seriously considering moving to MF. I suspect if this camera had a Phase One label on it then he'd be pushing it all over the MF, Leica, and Sony forums.

There's a time and place to check brand loyalty and passion. Sometimes you gotta give credit where it's due. It all comes across as disingenuous on the part of him representing Digital Transitions IMO. That's unfortunate because I'd like to think of them as one of the premier MF dealers (along with Capture Integration - where I bought my Leica M9-P from)...

Last edited:

JeRuFo

Who cares what dealers of other brands think? Although Doug usually gives fairly unbiased/technical advice, I don't think it's a good policy to trust a dealer's opinion on the equipment of competitors (or his own brands for that matter).
New gear is always marketed against the competition's, nothing will change this time. Phase One just needs a little more time to come up with a fitting strategy, apparently.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Doug doesn't have to chime in here. Seems you all have brought him here all by yourselves. Looks like you're more interested in a fight than the new camera.