The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Big Hasselblad anouncement on the 22nd.

torger

Great and it's for me a sad moment afterall. I hoped for more, especially third party support. Well, I already know I won't spent 15k on such a camera with two lenses. Now let's wait for Sony and what else is happening at Photokina.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great camera and right for lot's of people, I'm just not one of them. :cry:
I was right about the guess that it would be leaf shutter, unfortunately so... a focal plane shutter would make it much more versatile for combining with third-party stuff, so it won't work as a A7r drop-in replacement.

However, while I think it will disappoint many people on forums like this, I'm not sure if it was the wrong thing to do. I think the regular user won't mind a leaf shutter and limited third party compatibility. In fact if you're only going to use Hassy stuff anyway, a leaf shutter is preferred.

Hulyss Bowman

Sensor type : CMOS, 50 megapixels (8272 × 6200 pixels, 5.3 × 5.3 μm)
Sensor dimensions : 43.8 × 32.9mm
Image size : Stills: RAW 3FR capture 65MB on average. TIFF 8 bit: 154MB; Video: HD (1920 x 1080p)
File format : Stills: Lossless compressed Hasselblad 3FR RAW + JPEG /Video: H.264 Compressed (25 fps)
Shooting mode : Single shot stills, Video
Colour definition : 16 bit; Dynamic range up to 14 stops
ISO speed range : ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12800 & 25600
Storage options : Dual SD card slots
Colour management : Hasselblad Natural Colour Solution
Storage capacity : 16GB card holds 240 images on average
Capture rate : 1.7 - 2.3 frames per second
Display : 3.0 inch TFT type, 24 bit colour, 920K pixels;
Touch functionality : Yes, full support Live View: On camera, host and iOS device with high frame rate (30 fps)
Histogram feedback : Yes (on rear display)
IR filter : Mounted in front of sensor
Acoustic feedback : Yes
Software : Phocus for Mac and Windows. Compatible with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom® and Adobe Camera Raw®
Platform support : Macintosh: OSX version 10.10; PC: Windows 7 / 8 / 10 (64 bit only)
Host connection type : USB 3.0 (5 Gbit/s) Type-C connector
Additional connections : Mini HDMI, Audio In/Out
Operating temperature : - 10 ̊C to + 45 ̊C / 14 – 113 ̊F
Wi-Fi & GPS : 802.11a, b, g, n, ac (depending on region)
Dimensions : Camera Body only: 150 x 98 x 71 mm
Weight : 725g (Camera Body and Li-ion battery)
Camera type : Mirrorless Large Sensor Medium Format
Lenses : Hasselblad XCD lenses with integral lens shutter
Shutter speed range : 60 minutes to 1/2000 sec with XCD Lenses
Flash sync speed : Flash can be used at all shutter speeds
Viewfinder : 2.36MP XGA Electronic Viewfinder
Focusing : Autofocus metering via contrast detection; Instant manual focus override
Flash control : Automatic TTL centre weighted system. Nikon™ compatible hotshoe . Output can be adjusted from -3.0 to +3.0 EV
Exposure metering : Spot, Centre Weighted and CentreSpot
Power supply : Rechargeable Li-ion battery (7.2 VDC/3200 mAh)

No focal plane shutter. It is only usable with LS lenses.

fotografz

Congratulations to Hasselblad. For this camera and getting back to what and who they are.:thumbs:

Were I in the thick of doing work for pay like just a few years ago, I'd be on this in a New York heartbeat.

Most any H shooter has to be considering this as a supplement since they can use existing H lenses on it.

- Marc

tjv

The launch and website are pretty slim on good information, i.e. autofocus and weather sealing, if any. Looks like a good camera, but it's got a lot to live up to if it's to equal my trusty old Mamiya 7ii as the best MF (film) camera for reportage / documentary work, etc. I hope to hear good user reports soon!

f8orbust

For anyone currently using HBs H system, this looks like a great addition. If I was buying a MF DSLR, then the option of being able to easily mount my lenses on this MF mirrorless body would push me towards HB.

...looks like no way to use Phase lenses.
With an adapter the LS lenses should work, no ?

Jim

P.S. I like the LS option - makes the body shallower and more suitable for using as a 'digital back' - but obviously, with no FPS it means that lenses such as the Canon EF range can't easily be adapted. That said, if there's enough room maybe someone can create an adapter with a built in shutter (I know, unlikely). Alternatively, a shutter could be mounted to the front of a lens (e.g. Packard).

Hulyss Bowman

I might have one soon for trial so I cross my fingers to not having it by the end of the year. I think this one, at this price (7900€) kill the leica and the Pentax. Fuji might jump with an even cheaper product (probably fixed lens).

torger

P.S. I like the LS option - makes the body shallower and more suitable for using as a 'digital back' - but obviously, with no FPS it means that lenses such as the Canon EF range can't easily be adapted. That said, if there's enough room maybe someone can create an adapter with a built in shutter (I know, unlikely). Alternatively, a shutter could be mounted to the front of a lens (e.g. Packard).
With the CFV-50c at only $1k more it seems a more reasonable option for view camera / third party lens stuff when you don't get a focal plane shutter anyway with the X1D.

But indeed, although no FPS seems to be the big disappointment on the forums where odd body/lens combinations are common I think leaf shutter will serve the major market well. After all, if you have the right lenses, leaf shutters are preferable.

I'm a bit worried that this new camera series will mean the end to the CFV backs, but we'll see....

f8orbust

I understand why they have pitched the price where they have, but I still think it's too high. Fuji (or Sony) will significantly undercut them at Photokina.

Last edited:

torger

I understand why they have pitched the price where they have, but I still think it's too high. Fuji (or Sony) will significantly undercut them at Photokina.
I think there's is some Leica-factor to the brand so it's okay for them to be a bit expensive. As long as it's a good solid product that's really Hasselblad and not some rebranded crap, and this product is exactly that - a good solid Hasselblad product from the ground and up. I think the price point is just about right, expensive but not silly expensive.

Sure I would like a lower price if I would buy it for myself, but putting myself into Hasselblad shoes I would myself chosen a price point at that level, it seems like good judgment unlike the previous leadership with the Lunar disaster...

torger

Torger,
I was confirmed by an Hasselblad rep...CFV would be soon discontinued.
Sad but expected. CFV-50c is thus probably the last affordable digital back for some time to come... a great option for tech cams for users that can live with the wide angle movement limitations.

gmfotografie

A personal Question: Who will be the consumers.... Landscape Photographers, Commercial Photographers,.....?
Okay great danamic Range is nice to have but a lot of people will want to have 50MP.
For most of my work 25MP are too much (maybe i have the wrong clients)

I don´t want to have a such a camera for Street photography or in generall for the "Quick" Photography - therefore 50MP are too much.

I always liked to have something in my hand ;-) Setting the complicated equipment up - Give the Client a show ;-) (even with the TSE Lenses from Canon)
Sorry for that but I love to impress also my clients with big cameras ;-)
(Remembering the last Client when i was working with my 5DIII - Ah - You work with such a Camera - I bought it also my daughter last christmas....)

By the way - This is a great Cam!
But I´m not sure if it is the right Equipment for Commercial-assignments/Commercial Photographers.
And for the quick photos, for the normal People it will be too much.

But maybe i have missinterpreted something; sorry for that.

Jérôme.E

No focal plane is a big disappointment at least for me !
Using third party TS lens (Canon) or other MF lens would have been so nice. Plus 1/2000s Leaf shutter for my portrait work...best of both world for a "kind" of limited budget.

A "may be" Actus DB adapter seems to be the only way to go for TS stuff. Wait and see.

torger

It is a niche camera indeed, but I think the niche is quite large. Actually I think more people will think that 50MP is a bit low rather than unnecessarily high. The thing is that the megapixel race is far from over, and 135 is already at 50MP with the 5Ds.

Low pixel count medium format gear simply doesn't sell. Each time I see the reaction to a new resolution king, like the IQ180 once was and now recently the IQ3 100MP, it's so very obvious that resolution is very important to sell medium format gear. Even if it's not strictly needed for your work, people need to feel that they have distanced themselves to the 135 format.

f8orbust

On the plus side, without the FPS the camera is much simpler - the only moving parts will be the buttons, dials and battery door.

I wonder what the ICs of the new lenses are ? Since it can accept H lenses, I can see this as a platform for the 100MP chip ~18 - 24 months from now (assuming the bigger sensor will fit).

Chris Giles

AF speed is now all I need to know before purchase.

For those Saying Sony / Fuji have one coming. Do they? This has a Sony sensor but nothing to do with Fuji whatsoever. You could be waiting a while.

I'd of liked it to be focal plane too but hey, nothing wrong with Hasselblad glass and used HC lenses are very good value.

Paul2660

It's still up in the air on Fuji, but if was to bet, they will have a product at kina. There has been way too much "leaked" info.

You can be assured, it will have a FPS and an electronic, more than likely PDAF, and a few more modern features.

Check out Fujirumors.com, they have a lot of material on this camera. BTW, the owner of the site, is usually 95 to 97 percent correct, it's not as much a rumor site as a "preannouncement" site.

Paul C

Chris Giles

If anything will annoy me it's if the adaptor for the HC glass is in the hundreds of bucks. I might not actually buy into the system if that's the case as initially at least I'll be relying on HC glass.

There's an 80mm 2.8 and 100 2.2 with my name all over it.

I mean can you imagine how frickin' sexy that 2.2 will look.