Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Hasselblad anouncement on the 22nd.

Post Thanks / Like

Big Hasselblad anouncement on the 22nd.

Via official Hasselblad Facebook page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tah8tiFLBZc

"A game changer in the world of photography
    Join the announcement on Wed 22nd June, 14.00 (CET), as we livestream the event from Gothenburg, Sweden."
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Big Hasselblad anouncement on the 22nd.

I just saw that too, sounds interesting, I hope it's a huge success whatever it is!

Mat

http://matrichardson.com/
    Workshops for 2018! http://www.matrichardson.com/workshops
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Cool! Really looking forward to this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cool Re: Big Hasselblad anouncement on the 22nd.

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    Via official Hasselblad Facebook page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tah8tiFLBZc

"A game changer in the world of photography
    Join the announcement on Wed 22nd June, 14.00 (CET), as we livestream the event from Gothenburg, Sweden."

I guess :
    A new sealed dust/waterproof panoramic 2x3 Medium Format 50mpix cropped 30x45mm CMOS Sensor 16bit 18 stop dynamic range mirrorless camera ISO From 50 to 25600, 1/4000s to 120min exposure with 5 axis stabilization, capable of +/- 5mm UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT Shifts, with star tracking features, 4K video recording, long lasting battery, USB-3, WiFi, NFC, HDMI, high res 5" completely detachable touch display, 2K Large Electronic Viev Finder, GPS, True focus III, new 1/4000s low weight centra shutter lens lineup, accessory to use the existing HC lenses.

Price tag around 2000€ (or less ) without lens...

That's a true game changer !!!

Post Thanks / Like

maybe it’s a machined aluminium iPhone holder with cold shoe mount like an Alpa but twice the price and available in ‘champagne’ colour way. i can but dream.
    never trust the opinion of anyone who lists a load of gear in their forum signature. Dealers do not email me asking to buy your products.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The photo looks like a camera body (seen from the front, the grip just outside the frame to the left), with viewfinder, but probably no mirror box. I don't get the black rounded rectangular shapes though.

A medium format mirrorless body with the 44x33 Sony sensor aimed at the luxury consumer segment?

I find it unlikely with a new sensor format (like X-pan) with Sony as the provider...

Or maybe it isn't a camera body at all? Maybe it's just a housing where you can hide your ugly Lunar camera inside?

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if it will have an internal sensor as from the image it doesn't look very deep, or whether it will take existing backs to it? I guess we will find out soon, I'm sort of hoping it's an internal sensor though ala Leica S, obviously it will have a much shorter sensor to mount distance so will need new lenses, seems like a very big undertaking for a business like hasselblad, whatever it is I hope they do well.

Mat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post
    The photo looks like a camera body (seen from the front, the grip just outside the frame to the left), with viewfinder, but probably no mirror box. I don't get the black rounded rectangular shapes though.

A medium format mirrorless body with the 44x33 Sony sensor aimed at the luxury consumer segment?

I find it unlikely with a new sensor format (like X-pan) with Sony as the provider...

Or maybe it isn't a camera body at all? Maybe it's just a housing where you can hide your ugly Lunar camera inside?
    Or could it be from the back, buttons on the left, with the rounded rect shape as the back screen, no removable back, sort of a Hassy "SL" ?
    Then the curve on the far left isn't coming forward (like a handgrip), bu going downwards... But the pentaprism seems odd...

Post Thanks / Like

i guess this is the fuij mf camera i was told about last year even when hassalblad will claim they build it. when the xf was shown it was rather clear that phaseone does not have the potential and partners to build a real modern mf camera. hasselblad with fuji is in a far better position and i think when this is the first mirrorless mf camera we will see a fast change and growth of the mf market. others like sony will follow. great times !

Post Thanks / Like

just got a hint about the price, this will make a lot of people happy ! and it seems hc lenses are usable too !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Or could it be from the back, buttons on the left, with the rounded rect shape as the back screen, no removable back, sort of a Hassy "SL" ?
    Indeed. It looks like a body directly milled from aluminium, as in Apple "unibodies" or the Leica T. The rounded rectangle looks to be glued in the same manner as the back screen of the Leica T.

This being said, we have no idea of the size of the sensor, the presence of absence of a viewfinder, etc...

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Then the curve on the far left isn't coming forward (like a handgrip), bu going downwards... But the pentaprism seems odd...
    A mirrorless full frame would make sense. I also have some 100% reliable information about this camera: I won't be able to afford it

Post Thanks / Like

It will be funny if this thread needs to be moved to the compact cameras section
    Who's to say it's not a 1in sensor fixed lens compact with titanium and ostrich leather details? HBlad have history in the luxury compact sector.
    never trust the opinion of anyone who lists a load of gear in their forum signature. Dealers do not email me asking to buy your products.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    It will be funny if this thread needs to be moved to the compact cameras section
    No, that would be sad... if it's not medium format-related, I will not be happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha! It would be disappointing if it wasn't an mf sensor that is true! I would guess a Leica SL type thing with a big sensor would do the trick. I am obviously well out of the technology loop though, I just hope there are still options for a nice big optical viewfinder and a ccd back in the future, ideally cheaper because nobody else wants them! No matter how hard I try I can't get on with evf, the obvious benefits don't outweigh the disconnect I feel when looking at a small tv screen, it must mean I'm old school.

Whatever it is, I hope that it's popular and it keeps Hasselblad going, it's great to have options.

Mat
    http://matrichardson.com/
    Workshops for 2018! http://www.matrichardson.com/workshops

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Make it a 36x36mm, 36Mpixel sensor with a fixed, super high quality, 25mm lens and you've got a modern SWC. I'd salivate a lot over that one. I might even buy it if it was "reasonably" priced, for whatever reasonable means to me at the time of its availability.

I look forward to seeing what they announce.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    A mirrorless full frame would make sense. I also have some 100% reliable information about this camera: I won't be able to afford it

MF or 35mm?

Post Thanks / Like

I can tell you that it's beautiful.

I can also tell you that it's NOT made by Fuji.

I can also tell you that it is made in Sweden.

If this thread get's cluttered up with people making hilarious comments about the debacle that was the Stellar then I'm out.

Oh and I know marketing like to throw around phrases like "Game Changer" but this one is.
    www.nick-t.com
    http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good, Nick...
    Here's my wish list:
    1: 50c sensor or better / bigger.
    2: Leica S like form factor, but better if it is much smaller.
    3: Mirrorless with SL like electronic viewfinder. (Resolution and refresh rate)
    4: 4K video or better with raw format recording.
    5: electronic shutter so no vibration.
    6: a valid replacement for my favourite ever MF camera, the Mamiya 7ii.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm hoping for a relatively affordable (for MF) rangefinder style panoramic mirrorless. I believe there was a interview of press release where the Hasselblad Representative mentioned the X-Pan. That will actually be game hanging and something that no one else is doing in any format besides film.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds perfect to me. Pano format sensor, not crop would be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    I'm hoping for a relatively affordable (for MF) rangefinder style panoramic mirrorless. I believe there was a interview of press release where the Hasselblad Representative mentioned the X-Pan. That will actually be game hanging and something that no one else is doing in any format besides film.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you go to the instagram feed with this post (hasselblad_official), somebody makes the comment "a rebranded Sony A7?" to which Hasselblad_official replies "please not #mediumformat" I think we can count on this being a medium format camera but will it be an X-Pan or a mirrorless medium format camera? Who knows. When I went to the H6D presentation here in Washington DC, I asked the rep specifically about there being a digital X-Pan and he said he had no knowledge of that camera yet but did know that Hasselblad considered it the ''silver bullet" for products and that we would for sure have a few cameras released from Hasselblad this year. It is still a ways till Photokina so the release of this camera right now is interesting too. I wonder if they know that other manufactures will release mirrorless MF this year too? Sony? Bring on the X-Pan!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be so disappointed if its a digital x-pan or square format only camera as I imagine only a small select group of photographers would actually buy one and I'd hardly call that game changing.

I hope its something that builds on HB's heritage and in the vein of the CFV backs that looks distinctly Blad but a mirrorless camera that can be adapted to use all HB lenses new and old. It needs to be a camera designed for photographers, not millionaires IMO and I'm sure they'll sell by the lorry load. A mirrorless body designed for the future that will allow a future version of the same body but with a pano chip for the x-pan fans or a square sensor for the V System fans. All the smart car manufacturers are building cars sharing the same platform/parts so maybe the camera manufacturers should take a leaf out of their book.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markymarkrb View Post
    If you go to the instagram feed with this post (hasselblad_official), somebody makes the comment "a rebranded Sony A7?" to which Hasselblad_official replies "please not #mediumformat" I think we can count on this being a medium format camera but will it be an X-Pan or a mirrorless medium format camera? Who knows. When I went to the H6D presentation here in Washington DC, I asked the rep specifically about there being a digital X-Pan and he said he had no knowledge of that camera yet but did know that Hasselblad considered it the ''silver bullet" for products and that we would for sure have a few cameras released from Hasselblad this year. It is still a ways till Photokina so the release of this camera right now is interesting too. I wonder if they know that other manufactures will release mirrorless MF this year too? Sony? Bring on the X-Pan!!!!
    That would be interesting if there was a Sony version in collaboration of the Hasselblad camera. I wonder what that would mean for Capture 1 software support if they did that?

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully the mount is wide enough to accomodate a future FF version, and the lenses are all FF ready...

Post Thanks / Like

Hasselblad could beat Leica at their own game and offer lens adapters, including for the Leica S lenses...

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would be surprised if it's medium format. That's a tiny market with as many players as in the far larger DSLR market. It would be nice if it were a digital X-Pan of course. I'm guessing something in the direction of the SL, but more innovative, but not necessarily with a larger sensor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would be surprised if it's medium format. That's a tiny market with as many players as in the far larger DSLR market. It would be nice if it were a digital X-Pan of course. I'm guessing something in the direction of the SL, but more innovative, but not necessarily with a larger sensor.
    Sorry Jorgen. If it it isn't MF or close to it, it certainly would NOT be a game changer. It would only be a me too, especially after the quote mentioned earlier from the Hasselblad representative.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My guess is that it is going to be a mirrorless camera with the current 50MP CMOS sensor and some whiz bang features. If it is a digital XPan, it would have to be a sensor that they have figured out how to join together. It would be no small feat, since I have heard it is almost impossible to do. And, Sony would need to have other manufacturers who are interested in the same format. I really doubt that this is the case so, I do not think the market for that type of Sony sensor will be large enough for them to develop, and thus, no XPan.

It is interesting that they are making an announcement so close to Photokina. But, who knows, maybe they have something else to announce then.

Greg

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It's more than likely MF because they hashtagged the shot with medium format identifiers on their FB page.

Post Thanks / Like

According to Hasselbkad themselves, it's definitely MF. My guess is almost certainly the crop Sony sensor of the 50c. The big question is form factor and other features, mirrored or Mirrorless and lens lineup.

Post Thanks / Like

I do wonder if it will genuinely be a "game changer" though, manufactures like to use these terms but often the reality is a Luke warm make-over of existing technology. The last phase release had a built in spirit level a game changer has to be almost disruptive to the marketplace or have some features that totally revolutionise how people make images or cause a huge shift in buying habits. I guess the only recent game changers have been the 5DIII, and sony7. These were brands the pro rental/dealers were not interested in previously (here in London) but now stock.

Be great to see something revolutionary/modular/on chip af etc and not what amounts to an overblown Sony RX1 with limited appeal.

will just have to be patient, only a few more days.

Post Thanks / Like

The louder marketing shout "Game Changer" and the longer the teaser countdown campaign, all raising unrealisable expectations, see above, the greater the ultimate disappointment either in the product, think Nikon Df, or the cost.
    I'm afraid Hasselblad's prosumer is going to occupy the same market segment 'sumer that buys a digital Leica M without a screen.
    Unless the software has an auto shutter release settable at "decisive moment release mode" it's highly unlikely it will produce images that can't be captured with current cameras. Of course the "game changer" could be it's half the weight of a H6 and can take lots of lenses because of no mirror. That presupposes a lens collection across platforms of sufficient quality is just sitting in your cupboard waiting to be used and you are currently missing many opportunities to shoot stunning work just because you can't carry a camera that's high enough quality but light enough, not been looking at the market recently then?
    Still saving for the HC 100mm f2.2, the magic is in the glass in front of the body and the brain behind it, sometimes these days in the post software, it used to be called darkroom magic.

Post Thanks / Like

to call this a game changer is for sure the right description because it brings price sanity back to mf.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CSP View Post
    to call this a game changer is for sure the right description because it brings price sanity back to mf.
    That game was already changed quite a while ago with the 645D. Let's hope they bring something that is more fitting in this second half of the decade.

If they want to get a slice of the market, they'll have to come up with something new, like a MF RX1R. Simple is fine, but it has to be well engineered, the times of terrible live-view and crappy EVFs is behind us. Interchangeable lenses would be fun, but only if Hasselblad is willing to allow the use of all kinds of lenses and integrates their use too.

Post Thanks / Like

How about a "universal" Hasselblad ? A mirrorless 50Mpix MF-crop sensor, with adapters for all Hassi lenses:
    - H lenses with AF
    - Hassi V lenses (manual focus, but with live view)
    - Xpan (manual focus, but with live view) with automatic crop of the sensor in one dimension.

So any Hassi lens you've ever had could fit this body. I think it would be pretty sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

I kind of hope it is mirrorless/EVF: that way, I won't be at all tempted to buy one. (I detest EVF shooting).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-T View Post
    I can tell you that it's beautiful.

I can also tell you that it's NOT made by Fuji.

I can also tell you that it is made in Sweden.

If this thread get's cluttered up with people making hilarious comments about the debacle that was the Stellar then I'm out.

Oh and I know marketing like to throw around phrases like "Game Changer" but this one is.
    15 hrs since that post and no funny comments.

Tell us more!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking a 50c based mirrorless body with a short flange focal distance. A few initial lenses for the system plus an adapter for H glass and V glass.

Would like to see a compact form that would allow it to be mounted to an Actus.
    Adapters to take other brands glass such as Contax 645 and Canon
    Maybe an adapter for H glass with shifts built in, or at least the V glass.

The price will probably be less than the H digitals but doubt it will be on par with the pentax.
    Would be good if it was though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cool Re: Big Hasselblad anouncement on the 22nd.

Continuing with imagination...
    maybe the new camera look is close to this... who knows ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by modator View Post

A lens plate?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The CEO comes from ultimate luxury market!
    Game changers were iPhone, IPad, Tesla, Cable Box, Facebook, Sand wedge.
    A new body to just use existing Hasselblad lenses won't make as much profits as a new body and new lens system. A new body with a revolutionary thing a ma gig and the ability to use many lenses from revered manufactures, that makes lots of profits.
    Personally I would be sastisfied with a body that's so much lighter than the H and able to use auto focus H lenses in a square format. A body that has prosumer bells and whistles capable of shooting 14 FPS. A nice sidekick!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Mr Smith,

I feel you make a few good points. In my view, a well executed MFD version of the A7rII would be quite nice.

Most of the time I feel it is time to get rid of that flipping mirror. The main advantage of flipping mirror is the fast AF, but I don't think fast AF is what we buy into MFD for.

Best regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    I do wonder if it will genuinely be a "game changer" though, manufactures like to use these terms but often the reality is a Luke warm make-over of existing technology. The last phase release had a built in spirit level a game changer has to be almost disruptive to the marketplace or have some features that totally revolutionise how people make images or cause a huge shift in buying habits. I guess the only recent game changers have been the 5DIII, and sony7. These were brands the pro rental/dealers were not interested in previously (here in London) but now stock.

Be great to see something revolutionary/modular/on chip af etc and not what amounts to an overblown Sony RX1 with limited appeal.

will just have to be patient, only a few more days.

Post Thanks / Like

In many respects, particularly with regard to sensors and MFDBs, it seems Hasselblad is playing catch-up or follow the leader with Phase One. Imo, Hasselblad needs to be Hasselblad. I'd love to see Hassleblad return to its roots and offer a MFDB with a square sensor, and also a digital x-pan. Innovation is the foundation for game-changing technology. Photokina....

Post Thanks / Like

I'm leaning towards a mirrorless offering, possibly square.

Self interest has me hoping for 36x36 with the option to use Leica M lenses.

Wishful thinking on my part? Probably. More likely panoramic.
    Last edited by KeithL; 18th June 2016 at 09:43.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, I have a feeling images taken with this new camera are out there to be seen if you look around for them!

Mat

Post Thanks / Like

A 36X36 sensor would be kind of lame. A 44X44 sensor would certainly make my day. 54X54 would make my decade.
    Eduardo

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If it's square format, I'll need to sell a few limbs pronto to buy one...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think that the rounded corner is more likely to be a screen. The way it is mounted looks very much like the glass cover of the screen of the Leica T, or the glass cover of the screen from the iMac. So the image would show the back of the camera, not the front.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerome_m View Post
    I think that the rounded corner is more likely to be a screen. The way it is mounted looks very much like the glass cover of the screen of the Leica T, or the glass cover of the screen from the iMac. So the image would show the back of the camera, not the front.
    If that's the case, how about the angle of the "prism" hump and lack of hole for EVF in the middle?