The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What Hasselblad *won't* be announcing on the 22nd. (Cross-Posted)

bensonga

The GH sensors used oversized sensors to be able to output images at the same resolution no matter the aspect ratio chosen.
I could be mistaken, but from what I read, it seems that the GH2 was the last one with an over sized sensor allowing for this feature.

Gary

richardman

Actually, the BEST use of the X-Pan is not landscape. That belongs to 617 and stitch panoramic. The best use of XPan is documentary. On the hands of masters, you get the immersive experience that is not possible otherwise.

AreBee

richardman,

Nice Dream, but unless a sensor maker like Sony steps up, it's all just that.
Tell that to Leica, which has sensors fabricated to its specification.

Bob,

If you cannot take a panorama with multiple exposures that does not smoke a 617 ...
Tell that to NASA:

Previously, the best images of Jupiter were taken by NASA's two Voyager spacecraft, which flew past the planet in 1979. JunoCam's field of view is much wider than that of Voyager's narrow-angle camera. This means every JunoCam image is a kind of panorama, and its highest-resolution images will show wide swath[e]s of clouds.

... all of us want to return to our youth and the cameras that men took into the wilderness.
Only those unable to overcome nostalgia.

Reality check ... if they make it 99% of folks will go the cheap route.
Tell that to Hasselblad, Phase One etc.

richardman

I see you like to tell people to tell other companies what to do :eek:

I do in fact have one of the earliest M9, so I know a little about Leica. I also know a bit about sensor business and all, but whatever. Let's all have pleasant dreams.

BlinkingEye

In truth,

If you cannot take a panorama with multiple exposures that does not smoke a 617 ...

Bob
I am going to suggest your statement is inaccurate, Bob.

There are times when one shot and done is needed,,,,moving clouds.......moving water........moving people, cars....moving trees.......smoke. I think you get the point.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I am going to suggest your statement is inaccurate, Bob.

There are times when one shot and done is needed,,,,moving clouds.......moving water........moving people, cars....moving trees.......smoke. I think you get the point.
Of course I do ... I have done maybe two panoramas in my life ...

But I do not hold out any hope that a manufacturer will produce any wide format chip ... that ship sailed a long time ago.

Regards,

Bob

PeterA

Actually, the BEST use of the X-Pan is not landscape. That belongs to 617 and stitch panoramic. The best use of XPan is documentary. On the hands of masters, you get the immersive experience that is not possible otherwise.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/6gALRe]Untitled by Peetey, on Flickr[/URL]

http://[url=https://flic.kr/p/5WGrKy]ESt by Peetey, on Flickr[/URL]

Untitled by Peetey, on Flickr

.. by Peetey, on Flickr

you get a flat field of view - very different to using a wide and the panorama format allows for different' cropping capabilities .
It is difficult to replicate the XPan look with a cropped lens from other formats panoramic perspective when used up close to subject matter doesn't have the cropped tele look that merely cropping delivers- because you don't have the tele-photo perspective.
The further 'away' one gets from the subject matter- the less these differences come into play - so a cropped panorama using a high resolution digital back works for landscapes - however as you say you cant replicate the XPan's strengths up close and personal with normal cropping very easily. The reason why I still keep a full XPan11 system in my kit - a pity I am too lazy to develop film much these days - because the XPan has always been by far my favourite camera system.

we wont get a digital XPan - but some clever company might actually incorporate an in camera XPan cropping mode with EVF framing to help - and then we wont have the magnificent XPan lenses from Fuji - which is another story.

iiiNelson

http://ESt by Peetey, on Flickr

.. by Peetey, on Flickr

you get a flat field of view - very different to using a wide and the panorama format allows for different' cropping capabilities .
It is difficult to replicate the XPan look with a cropped lens from other formats panoramic perspective when used up close to subject matter doesn't have the cropped tele look that merely cropping delivers- because you don't have the tele-photo perspective.
The further 'away' one gets from the subject matter- the less these differences come into play - so a cropped panorama using a high resolution digital back works for landscapes - however as you say you cant replicate the XPan's strengths up close and personal with normal cropping very easily. The reason why I still keep a full XPan11 system in my kit - a pity I am too lazy to develop film much these days - because the XPan has always been by far my favourite camera system.

we wont get a digital XPan - but some clever company might actually incorporate an in camera XPan cropping mode with EVF framing to help - and then we wont have the magnificent XPan lenses from Fuji - which is another story.
Hasselblad is incorporating a 44mm x 16mm "XPan crop mode" into the X1D.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
You folks are encouraging me to take out the xpan II outfit this weekend. Looking forward to seeing the X1D tomorrow in person and it's crop modes too.

MomentsForZen

Thank-you PeterA and richardman for the example photographs and link for more photographs taken with an Xpan camera. This is the first time that I have seen photographs from this camera - so flat and wide (as was expressed by PeterA) - not at all like a wide angle lens. And very even lighting.

:) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)

Professional

I like panos very much since i started to do so when i bought TS Canon lenses, then i was thinking to buy 617 film camera either dedicated or a film back to 4x5 camera, but i forgot that i bought an adapter kit to use panoramic shots on my Mamiya 7II that doesn't work at all, i checked out the specifications of this pano kit size and it shows that it has exactly same size of X-Pan, so i don't need to buy XPan though, but i have to fix my Mamiya first.

I also have RRS panoramic kit that i used before in US with my Hasselblad but didn't work with photos to see the results, but nowadays i am happy to use TS lenses on my A7r, and one day when i can upgrade to better bodies then i will shoot more.

Here is a pano i did first times from TS lens

MGrayson

Gentlemen,

Forgive my ignorance. In what way can an XPan be different from a cropped WA lens? I thought it WAS a cropped WA lens, and the sense of less distortion comes from the cropping of the corners where most of the WA distortion is evident.

Is it actually a more cylindrical projection without the use of a curved film plane? What distortions are induced in the lens so that it can deviate from a planar projection? How would the lens perform on 645 film?

Confused,

Matt

V

Vivek

MGrayson said:
Is it actually a more cylindrical projection without the use of a curved film plane? What distortions are induced in the lens so that it can deviate from a planar projection? How would the lens perform on 645 film?

Confused,

Matt
Matt, Good questions! AFAIK, these lenses have not been used on a large sensor to determine that and with the lack of a focal plane shutter in the upcoming XT1, it is not practical.

Perhaps the Fuji cam will come with an FPS and the old X-Pan or TX1 lenses will then be usable on it.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Gentlemen,

Forgive my ignorance. In what way can an XPan be different from a cropped WA lens? I thought it WAS a cropped WA lens, and the sense of less distortion comes from the cropping of the corners where most of the WA distortion is evident.

Confused,

Matt
There's no magic about the XPan lenses other than they are designed to cover a larger than 24x32mm image circle (24 X 65 mm).

I have the entire 30/45/90 combo and other than being extremely sharp I haven't noticed any special pixie dust magic about the edges of the frame beyond flat field projection and lack of distortion.

Last edited:

MGrayson

Thanks, Graham. Excellent lenses with large image circles I understand from tech cams, and they are, as you well know, wonderful.

Best,

Matt