Site Sponsors

Thread: What's on your XF feature request list ?

Post Thanks / Like

What's on your XF feature request list ?

I would like to know what features XF owners would like to see
    become reality. With the open platform architecture, honestly
    I'm not sure what the limits are.
    *I would like to see the internal Profoto transmitter have channel
    And group options like the on camera transmitters have.
    *I Would love to see a Truefocus type feature enabled, heck all the
    Parts to the puzzle all already there!
    *Another tweak to A/F performance would be welcomed, just
    That last little bit��

Cheers everyone and have a great week!��

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's on your XF feature request list ?

Quote Originally Posted by aztwang View Post
    That last little bit��

I just ordered mine coupled with a refurb IQ180. Now the wait begins...

Features I sincerely hope they implement soon is 6-axis image stabilization which I pretty much assume is just a software fix away and true focus capability and/or other focusing wizardry.

Other features include 2nd curtain shutter and a Profoto interface, as you say, where you can dial in power on the respective groups as well.

That's basically all I want

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll be happy with an effective latch for the prism finder!
    The rest is gravy....
    Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More integrated time settings on the build in timer (very unique to any camera)

The ability to bring down the XF settings like focus peaking, hyperfocal, all the tools etc from the small LCD of the XF to the IQ display as it can be hard at times to see that top LCD of the XF.

Remote release, (I realize one is out there, but supply is 0), can't be that hard to make these

Focus stacking, The ability to set the near/far distance via AF, i.e. hit the spot you want to set for either point with AF, then use the buttons on the camera to set. If this is possible I have never gotten it to work right. Focus stacking seems to be more designed for the product shoots with a tethered back and from the demos I have seen this works great, but it would be nice to have a bit more usability in the field, where you only need 4 to 5 stacks to get the job done.

In my Dreams:

Ability to integrate the touch screen of the back with AF, i.e. zoom into 100% and touch a spot in the image, and have the XF focus there. That to me would be "game changing" The touch screen is already there, so the later part should be possible on a CMOS back for sure.

EVF, attachment, which would possibly correspond with touch AF.

Paul C

Post Thanks / Like

My wishlist can be found throughout this thread:

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/...topic=110119.0

To summarize:

(1) A vertical grip. As mentioned in one of my first posts in this thread, handholding vertically is adequate as-is, but the more I use the camera, the more convinced I become that an optional vertical grip would be very helpful.

(2) There should be some way to customize the size and layout of the icons on the top touch screen with a greater degree of nuance than there is currently. Currently, there's "classic" mode, which shows a bunch of camera parameters, and then "simple" mode, which limits the displayed parameters to only a few (aperture, shutter speed, exposure comp., and battery status). What I'd like to be able to do is (a) select which individual parameters to display and (b) be able to change the size and positioning of the displayed parameters. For example: When shooting quickly and wanting to change drive modes or exposure comp., I find that the icons are a bit too small: I sometimes end up accidentally touching the wrong parameter. Being able to select the individual parameters that I want to display (beyond the binary choices of classic mode and simple mode) and being able to alter their size so that they each take up more screen real estate when fewer of them are displayed would be very helpful.

(3) Electronic masks or crop marks in the viewfinder so that you can accurately compose and shoot verticals and square with the waist level finder, and a crop mode that will apply that crop to the images when imported into Capture One.

(4) Some sort of True Focus type functionality

(5) Dramatically decreasing the start-up time: it takes 8-10 seconds from "power on" to "ready to shoot", which is an eternity in this day and age.

(6) There should be a way to lock a *single* exposure variable (ISO, shutter speed, aperture, exposure comp.) so that they're not unintentionally changed if you accidentally jostle a dial or touch the setting on one of the touch screens. As it is (at least as far as I can tell after only a couple of days with it and having not exhaustively read the manual), you can lock all of the wheels and settings, but you can't lock just one (such as ISO). There should be a functionality where you click on the relevant variable (say, aperture) on the top touch screen and it brings up an option to lock just that variable. This seems like an easy one to fix with a firmware update.

(7) Speeding up image review and zoom: it takes quite a while for them to render when zoomed in, and after shooting a sequence, it takes quite a while for the images to be ready to review.

(8) Also regarding image review and zoom: it should be changed to a "spread two fingers to zoom/pinch to contract" rather than the current "tap the screen, then use your finger to move the zoom slider" functionality. After using iPads and iPhones for so many years, the former is much more intuitive.

(9) There are things in the menu that are accessible via the top touch screen that are *not* in the menu accessible from the digital back. E.g., focus trim is *only* accessible via the top touch screen. That's crazy: the same menu items should be accessible at all times from both menu screens.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    Focus stacking, The ability to set the near/far distance via AF, i.e. hit the spot you want to set for either point with AF, then use the buttons on the camera to set. If this is possible I have never gotten it to work right. Focus stacking seems to be more designed for the product shoots with a tethered back and from the demos I have seen this works great, but it would be nice to have a bit more usability in the field, where you only need 4 to 5 stacks to get the job done.
    Yes this can be done.

Focus stacking was not designed exclusively for tethered shooting. If it was they would have taken the (much easier) path of doing it in Capture One. Instead they integrated the tool directly into the body and allowed focus to be set by live view, focus mask, 100% post-capture incremental review, autofocus, or manual focusing through the viewfinder. If you're having difficulty using AF to set the points I'd suggest working with your dealer's tech team.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Caulfeild-Browne View Post
    I'll be happy with an effective latch for the prism finder!
    The rest is gravy....
    No kidding me too. It is extremely unprofessional that Phase One isn't even admitting it's a problem

Makes me wish I had stuck with the Contax 645 which never had this issue.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    No kidding me too. It is extremely unprofessional that Phase One isn't even admitting it's a problem

Makes me wish I had stuck with the Contax 645 which never had this issue.
    I hear ya but very odd. I have never had the viewfinder pop loose. True its got a bit of wiggle but thats about it.

Cheers

Don

Post Thanks / Like

The viewfinder latch is the weakest point on the XF. If you accidentally hit it, the viewfinder may loosen and not maintain full electronic contacts (an annoyance quickly fixed), or fall off completely. Once you're aware of the sensitivity of the latch, you learn to watch out for it---I haven't had an issue since. A half-inch strip of gaffers tape adds extra insurance.

ken

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Focus stacking, The ability to set the near/far distance via AF, i.e. hit the spot you want to set for either point with AF, then use the buttons on the camera to set.
    That's how I expected it should have worked vs the more cumbersome method today. Ok, I can write down my hyper focal and focus stack limit values per lens and dial them in but the logical way to do it is as you mentioned, AF near / far points in the VF or even LV and have the body pick them up. Now granted, it isn't hard to dial in 0, 230 or whatever your gaps are with the lens but it's not intuitive or user friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    The viewfinder latch is the weakest point on the XF. If you accidentally hit it, the viewfinder may loosen and not maintain full electronic contacts (an annoyance quickly fixed), or fall off completely. Once you're aware of the sensitivity of the latch, you learn to watch out for it---I haven't had an issue since. A half-inch strip of gaffers tape adds extra insurance.

ken
    I hear you all. Luckily it hasn't been an issue for me so far. I always store the camera with the left side down in the bag so so far no disastrous situations have occurred. YET. The WLF finder can be a pain to swap at times but such a joy to use. One of my shooter friends ran into VF mask scratch issues when changing between the prism and WLF. Hasn't happened to me yet but if one of us has the problem you can be sure that the rest of us will run into it eventually.

I hear ya but very odd. I have never had the viewfinder pop loose. True its got a bit of wiggle but thats about it.

Cheers

Don
    Luckily me neither although I do think that I'll be adding a bit of gaffer tape to the button. Ditto the MFDB release btw.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    Yes this can be done.

Focus stacking was not designed exclusively for tethered shooting. If it was they would have taken the (much easier) path of doing it in Capture One. Instead they integrated the tool directly into the body and allowed focus to be set by live view, focus mask, 100% post-capture incremental review, autofocus, or manual focusing through the viewfinder. If you're having difficulty using AF to set the points I'd suggest working with your dealer's tech team.
    Did something change because I've had to dial in the focus point manually and not via AF via the VF. I have my rear AF button set vs shutter release.

Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Did something change because I've had to dial in the focus point manually and not via AF via the VF. I have my rear AF button set vs shutter release.
    Nothing changed. It's been possible from the get go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nothing changed. It's been possible from the get go.
    Actually I don't believe it's possible using just the AF of the XF and hasn't been from the get go. This has been true for me with 3 different tests on the different XF bodies all using the latest firmware. They ALL have worked the same way. All have the latest firmware for the XF, the CMOS back is running 1 release of firmware behind latest, as only changes I am aware of are UI for the back.

Net,

If you use an XF in AF mode to focus stack, the following happens about 90% of the time.

Lens worked with 35LS, 55LS, 80LS and 75-150 non LS.

1. Focus on distance spot with AF on XF, move to tools==focus stack, hit the focus gears icon, getting a number for the far focus motor number and set the distance spot, (upper silver bar),

2. Re-compose, for near subject, use AF, move back to tools==focus stack, ATTEMPT to set the near spot, 75% to 80% of the time the camera will just reset the far point for the near point. I have done this enough times to know that this process is not working correctly. 1 out of 5 times the two points will register correctly, the other times the camera just picks the previous focus point (near or far which ever one was first recorded).

Note, tethered in Live View, this does not happen as the point clicked on registers correctly for both near and far, however in the field, I don't find this to be very useable. NOTE, clicking on the focus point that is showing on the tethered Live View screen, as in a studio setting.

The ONLY way I can get it TO work correctly is to do the following:

1. Focus on distance subject matter with the XF AF, then, jump into Live View, while in Live View move to tools==focus stack and then hit the gears to register the focus point and hit the far. NOTE, the first point works most of the time.

2. Go back and recompose and focus on near point. Jump into Live view and check the focus, if it's correct switch the lens to MF mode with the clutch on the lens, then go back to tools==focus stack. The gears will show red since the AF is off, clutch the lens back to AF mode (more than likely lens will slightly jump out of best focus) so since you are still in Live View tweak the AF (yes move the focus ring with the AF on, you are not moving very much and I don't think you will hurt anything, at least I hope not), now that that AF is on, the gears will register a near point, and input that.

3. Move the near point just a bit past optimum focus with the manual dial, and add 1 more to the total stack. This just makes sure the intended subject is in full focus.

This method works, but only if you have a CMOS back, thus I feel that a vast majority of XF users possibly will have similar problems as mine but since they don't have a working Live View, they can't make the same Live View checks.

Paul C

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious here…

...from looking at the manual (sorry, I don't have a dealer to call) it sounds like you have to manually (via the front and side dials) move the lens in MCUs to the far and near points (of the area you want in focus). Then the user needs to decide on the number of exposures.

Is it not possible to just point and focus (with the shutter release button, as per shooting an image) to set each of the limits of the DoF ? Once the near and far points are found, it seems to me that since the camera knows the focal length of the lens being used, and the aperture, it should be able to calculate the optimum number of exposures necessary for the DoF required; the user shouldn't have to guesstimate.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    Just curious hereÖ

...from looking at the manual (sorry, I don't have a dealer to call) it sounds like you have to manually (via the front and side dials) move the lens in MCUs to the far and near points (of the area you want in focus). Then the user needs to decide on the number of exposures.

Is it not possible to just point and focus (with the shutter release button, as per shooting an image) to set each of the limits of the DoF ? Once the near and far points are found, it seems to me that since the camera knows the focal length of the lens being used, and the aperture, it should be able to calculate the optimum number of exposures necessary for the DoF required; the user shouldn't have to guesstimate.

Jim
    Yes that makes sense, but it only seem to work this way for 1 of the two needed points i.e. you AF on far point, to the tool, and set the far point (top silver narrow button), but when you focus -recompose for the near point and go now with the lens at the near point via AF of the XF, and attempt to select the near point in the tool, silver narrow bottom button), the vast majority of the times, the camera re-inputs the point already saved, in this case the far point. In my testing, 1 out of 5 times it worked correctly, in that both points were recorded. This is way too many misses and take way too long in the field. Thus I have developed the method I am using, but that only will work with a CMOS back, as you have to check with Live View.

The lens MSU's move up and down in increments of 10.

Paul C

Post Thanks / Like

Paul

Are you using that method for landscape shots or for closer up stuff?

I am very simplistic in my approach and have never had a problem, I af to either the nearest or furthest point depending on how far away the subject is, tap the gear icon and the set button, then just use the viewfinder to watch where the plane of focus is moving with the rear dial, done in a 10 seconds at most. I have found shooting at around minimum focussing distance I just af in close, set the point and then look through the viewfinder as I use the rear dial to move out to the correct point, I don't have an issue with going further than necessary and picking the shots I want to use in post if needs be but really not had that problem yet. I have also on occasion just set the lens at hyperfocal for a landscape and used that as the start point, scrolling back from there until I see what I want in focus close up with the viewfinder and away you go, the things I am looking at close up are normally easy to see pretty accurately. I find the XF really easy to manually focus with, the viewfinder is pretty good so picking points for a stack doesn't feel any different, not having live view hasn't been an issue for me personally but I much prefer a good viewfinder to a screen anyway, I can appreciate that others like to do things differently.

I am also going to sound like a dick with the viewfinder issue some face, as was mentioned above, I always lay it down with the grip up, I have never once had an issue with it unlatching although the actual catch does rattle a little, like it's not sprung loaded properly, not dismissing anyone else's issues with either of these things, just saying I haven't experienced them and it's always good to hear a range of experiences.

Mat

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, the camera working out the number of shots is a great idea, I guess a bit of processing power needed to work it out but as it knows focus distance near and far and aperture then it shouldn't be impossible, nice idea!

Mat

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Mat

All landscape stuff. All 5 stacks usually.

The problem I have with just moving the wheel is that in many scenes that is a lot of focus motor units and the wheel is only moving in increments of 10.

But I agree totally that does work. I was also worried about wear on the motor as in essence using the wheel is like driving a 4wd in 4 low where as hitting the AF is like 4 hi.

Don't get me wrong it's a great idea. I just feel phase designed it with studio work in mind and did not test the other methods. In theory it should take just 2 hits of the AF button and you are done.

Also one other reason to allow the disabling of the dark frame. If you are shooting a series where the shittwr speed is 15 seconds then the extra 15 sec for the dark frame can be tedious.

Paul C

Post Thanks / Like

I hadn't thought about long exposure stacks to be honest, yes I can see with the dark frame that would be a complete nightmare. For really big dof shots I have found I just switch out of af after setting infinity, manual focus all the way back in before switching back to af, I have read of people having issues with the lens not going back to the point after the lens cycles but to be honest I have not seen that with my setup.

I agree it is really good in the studio for high number stacks at closer distances, works really well even without live view.

Mat

Post Thanks / Like

Halo,

I just tried focus stacking for the first time today. I dont use AF because the idea of moving the camera again after I lock my composition and level is just to cumbersome.

So in manual mode i look into the viewfinder to find longest distance subject which is usually at infinity, then go to AF, then it focus stacking interface it will show the number of motor unit you currently at, then register to far setting. Go back to manual find nearest subject and go back to AF and register it then shoot with rear button. When I change from manual to AF, the lens ring distance info usually does not show exact value when I am in manual mode, it actually jump longer a bit more in focus stacking mode.

So in the future it will be great if you can register in manual mode without going back to AF. Compose in tripod, focus at infinity, register, focus at nearest, register, shoot, all in one smooth operation without going back and forward.

-Dan

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    Just curious hereÖ

Is it not possible to just point and focus (with the shutter release button, as per shooting an image) to set each of the limits of the DoF ?
    Again, you CAN point at a subject, autofocus, and set that as the near or far point of the focus stack.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The problem I have with just moving the wheel is that in many scenes that is a lot of focus motor units and the wheel is only moving in increments of 10.
    If you flick the dial it accelerates the units it is changing in.

Or use one of the other methods like autofocus or manual focus to set the two points. This will be faster for large changes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Again, you CAN point at a subject, autofocus, and set that as the near or far point of the focus stack.
    I will go on record with diagreeing with this statement as it does not work correctly most of the time.

Yes you can point with AF and set the first point in this case the far point. But if you then go back and re focus with AF for the other point in this they near point the camera records the same point it did previously in this case the far point. 4 out of 5 times it does it wrong.

Paul C
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That last little bit��

This...and an even better battery solution, more secure viewfinder latch, optimized load up, and a few more magical requests haha.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

TBH in the end I found it easier just to set focus points by clutching the lens into MF, focus, clutch back to AF and store the value and then repeat for the other near/far point.

The problem for me is that I have the rear XF body button set to one tap AF. Since this is the start button for the focus stack program it pretty much stops me from being able to use the point & shoot approach for near / far setup (other than going in/out of stack mode I suppose).

so, I'd like an option to assign the focus stack start to a different button than the rear XF body button ....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will go on record with diagreeing with this statement as it does not work correctly most of the time.

Yes you can point with AF and set the first point in this case the far point. But if you then go back and re focus with AF for the other point in this they near point the camera records the same point it did previously in this case the far point. 4 out of 5 times it does it wrong.

Paul C
    Agreed.

Doug keeps claiming you can use AF for this but he doesnít offer anything other than check with your dealer. Iíve tried this a number of times, and it just doesnít work very well, and isnít correct most of the time. By the time you fiddle around with it, for me itís easier to just do it manually. I have yet to hear of anyone that can reliably AF the far or near point, set it, then AF the other point and set it. The second point rarely, if ever just ďsetsĒ - and you canít trust the number you get because you donít know if it happened to be the rare occasion where itís right.

there are no instructions or any examples from anyone that I can find to explain how to use Autofocus for focus stacking. All the examples I have found (from Phase, DT etc) talk about focus stacking for studio situations which require large numbers of exposures. No where does it talk about using the tool with AF as the primary way to achieve focus, and all of them talk about ďfindingĒ the focus points using the dials on the camera to move the motor.

I donít think the tool was designed with how I would like to use it. I have no problem with that, I just canít figure out why if itís supposed to work that way, no one but Doug seems to know how to do it.
    wayne
    My gallery
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You guys know more than, but my attempts with focus stacking have all worked well. I did notice with 35, 55, 80, 110, 150 and 240 that rotating dial for far focus (infinity for most of my work) came in about 24-25 (and you can hear the focus motor rebelling when you are setting the far point at too low a gear point, but once you get within the lenses AF infinity point the AF motor smoothes out and accepts the gear point you have selected), hit front silver button and then setting near point was whatever the particular lens needed from about 60 to 200, then hit rear silver button. Rotating the dial for the number of stacks, I used around 10 to 15 just to be safe. I am still traveling and did not download the helicon stack software on this macbook. Will do my importing of these stackings in a week when back home on Mac Pro.

Is all one has to do is watch the focus point on the lens as it rotates through the various focus points. I also use looking at the lens focus point to quickly get to my near focus point after setting the far point. I keep rotating the wheel for the near point while watching the lens until I see the lens focus point getting close to what I want even before checking in VF or LV the precise focus plane I want. For me that has made the whole operation much faster, especially when far and near points are greatly different.

Perhaps this helps. Excuse the basic descriptions. I want to add that I am using this feature for landscape.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Btw, once it's dialed in, the focus stack function works perfectly. Just wanted to share that

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Btw, once it's dialed in, the focus stack function works perfectly. Just wanted to share that
    Good to hear!!...Just for giggles Graham you should do a quick video for the folks that seem to be having problems or maybe a detailed step by step explanation....FWIW

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To me it's really moot anyway, as none of the software tools can really handle wind movement. Both Helicon and Zerene stacker have trouble whenever the subject has even the slightest movement. In a studio, where you are shooting a static subject, the tools work great, but outdoor, where there is wind (at least where I live), movement, even the slightest amount can totally corrupt a stack.

I guess that this way all the Phase One demo's seem to be indoors in the studio for product shoots, where the tool performs wonderfully.

Back to Graham's comments, you can also just write down a solution and use in the future, The far and near numbers will work over and over and once you know the range of the lens in question, I agree with Graham, it's just easier to dial in a solution.

Paul C

Post Thanks / Like

Bulb shutter speed

Second curtain flash synch (maybe it's there now but I can't find it)

Focus stack calculate the needed number of frames

Not really an XF firmware feature but the lack of a remote release is a joke at this point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    You guys know more than, but my attempts with focus stacking have all worked well. I did notice with 35, 55, 80, 110, 150 and 240 that rotating dial for far focus (infinity for most of my work) came in about 24-25 (and you can hear the focus motor rebelling when you are setting the far point at too low a gear point, but once you get within the lenses AF infinity point the AF motor smoothes out and accepts the gear point you have selected), hit front silver button and then setting near point was whatever the particular lens needed from about 60 to 200, then hit rear silver button. Rotating the dial for the number of stacks, I used around 10 to 15 just to be safe. I am still traveling and did not download the helicon stack software on this macbook. Will do my importing of these stackings in a week when back home on Mac Pro.

Is all one has to do is watch the focus point on the lens as it rotates through the various focus points. I also use looking at the lens focus point to quickly get to my near focus point after setting the far point. I keep rotating the wheel for the near point while watching the lens until I see the lens focus point getting close to what I want even before checking in VF or LV the precise focus plane I want. For me that has made the whole operation much faster, especially when far and near points are greatly different.

Perhaps this helps. Excuse the basic descriptions. I want to add that I am using this feature for landscape.
    not saying it doesn't work when shooting a stack, that seems to work quite well. What doesn't work is using AF to determine and set the two focus points. Yeah, you can sort of do it if you do a few extra steps (like pop the lens from AF to Manual and back), but even then it isn't 100% accurate. But it really could be much easier with a rework of the tool and the interface for it.

My IQ3 100 arrives today, so using LV focusing and the focus stack tool will be a much different operation now. I assume I can AF the near point, move to the tool, verify focus with LV and set the number. then I can use LV to set the far point in the tool.
    wayne
    My gallery

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Stocks View Post
    Bulb shutter speed

Second curtain flash synch (maybe it's there now but I can't find it)

Focus stack calculate the needed number of frames

Not really an XF firmware feature but the lack of a remote release is a joke at this point.
    We had a decent size batch of short XF Cable releases come in and sell out within a couple days, presumably based on pent up demand.

We still have the long XF Cable Releases in stock.

I'd expect more soon. Of course I expected the first batch "soon" a while ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good to hear!!...Just for giggles Graham you should do a quick video for the folks that seem to be having problems or maybe a detailed step by step explanation....FWIW
    I think Graham has the same issues we all have if trying to use AF to set the two points. For example, one frustration is many landscape shooters have the rear button set to focus and the shutter button to only release. To use the focus stack tool you have to disable this use of the rear button, as that's the button that triggers shooting the stack.

And I think we all agree that once you can determine the two points, the camera shoots the stack very efficiently and it's a great feature. But once you move to the tool, there is no way to simply AF on the near point, set, AF on the far point, set, compose and then fire off the sequence. Usually AF will only successfully get you one of the two points, and that requires focus, moving to the tool, touch the gear icon and then often that point will work and can be set for one of the two positions. but if you AF again, you leave the tool, and if you the AF on the other point, go back to the tool, touching the gear usually doesn't achieve what you want, sometimes it does nothing, sometimes it seems to cycle and land on a number that may or may not be correct, sometimes it goes to the same number as the previous setting.. If you move to the tool, click the lens to manual and back, then touch the gear, that sometimes seems to work.
    wayne
    My gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fox View Post
    I think Graham has the same issues we all have if trying to use AF to set the two points. For example, one frustration is many landscape shooters have the rear button set to focus and the shutter button to only release. To use the focus stack tool you have to disable this use of the rear button, as that's the button that triggers shooting the stack.
    Wayne,

I am new to the XF, so I may be making 2 mistakes that result in a correct action (), but I find that the rear button works to initiate the focus stack even though I have camera set to back button focus. Based on Graham Welland's comments in Post #25, I have had success using the following process...

1.) In regular shooting mode, use AF to set desired distant point (in my set-up, using the rear button for AF activation).
    2.) Swipe into Focus Stack Tool, touch the gear symbol (camera appears to determine MCU's), then set distant point for stack with front top key.
    3.) Swipe back to regular shooting mode, clutch lens from AF to MF, manually bring focus to general area of desired near point, clutch back to AF, set AF on desired near point.
    4.) Swipe into Focus Stack Tool, touch gear symbol, then set near focus point with rear top key.
    5.) Remaining in Focus Stack Tool, use rear dial to set desired number of exposures, push rear button to initiate sequence of focus stack images.

It appears to work in the 4 or 5 trials I did. These tests were all indoors, due to weather, covering a range of 4' to 15' with 55mm LS. When examining in C1 with focus mask on, I can see the green focus indication march across the images from far to near points. Zooming into 100% and examining images in C1 verifies the in-focus area marches across the images in the stack.

It sounds more complex than it is, also. Again, I acknowledge that I am a neophyte on the XF, but it seems to work.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

John,

That's exactly the workflow that I ended up with. It's a bit cumbersome, especially if you forget to swipe out of the stack panel and press the rear button to AF and accidently trigger the stack function ... (followed by expletives!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fox View Post

And I think we all agree that once you can determine the two points, the camera shoots the stack very efficiently and it's a great feature. But once you move to the tool, there is no way to simply AF on the near point, set, AF on the far point, set, compose and then fire off the sequence. Usually AF will only successfully get you one of the two points, and that requires focus, moving to the tool, touch the gear icon and then often that point will work and can be set for one of the two positions. but if you AF again, you leave the tool, and if you the AF on the other point, go back to the tool, touching the gear usually doesn't achieve what you want, sometimes it does nothing, sometimes it seems to cycle and land on a number that may or may not be correct, sometimes it goes to the same number as the previous setting.. If you move to the tool, click the lens to manual and back, then touch the gear, that sometimes seems to work.
    Wayne
    Not trying to argue at all, but I have the rear button set to LV. However, when XF screen in stacking mode that same button initiates the stacking sequence and I have never had to disable any of my settings to use the focus stacking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Onr quick note. You can trigger the stack also via the camera controls on the backs LCD. That is how I have always done it. Takes two extra steps but you don't have to disable the other release on the rear of the XF.

Paul C

Post Thanks / Like

To get back to topic, another ting I'd like to see is full Profoto integration, not just set the power levels on different groups but also TTL and HSS support (for focal plane shutters).

Still, the two things I want the most would be something similar to true focus (which also takes into account movement along the focal plane) and image stabilization. Both of these features are a possiblity with the current technology and they even have a patent for the image stabilization.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All,

I have another troubleshoot questions for xf n 3 100:
    1. When the xf idle for a few mins and i press the shutter, there is a delay before the lcd turn on when i half press the shutter. Can i get rid of this delay?

2. Xf n 3 100 is on, thetered to c1. Turn off the xf for some time, come back, turn on the xf and suddenly the shutter is released (maybe), it triggers the strobe then automatically then the system is off again. What is this? Happen 2-3 times today.

3. I shoot in M. After turn off for a while when i power my xf again it show TV not M. How to set default to M? This always happen when i leave for a while.

Can some help?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeJ View Post
    To get back to topic, another ting I'd like to see is full Profoto integration, not just set the power levels on different groups but also TTL and HSS support (for focal plane shutters).

Still, the two things I want the most would be something similar to true focus (which also takes into account movement along the focal plane) and image stabilization. Both of these features are a possiblity with the current technology and they even have a patent for the image stabilization.
    I'm doubtful about TTL and HSS (especially with available LS lenses). I'd welcome the ability to adjust power levels on Profoto Air equipped lights. Also need the ability to trigger the lights (without the shutter) so you can use a light meter without having to have a Profoto Air transmitter on hand---isn't that what integration in body is about?? And certainly something like H's True Focus and image stabilization of some sort would be welcome tweaks to AF performance.

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Onr quick note. You can trigger the stack also via the camera controls on the backs LCD. That is how I have always done it. Takes two extra steps but you don't have to disable the other release on the rear of the XF.

Paul C
    Paul
    I repeat one does not have to disable any other release on the back button in order to use the back button for focus stacking. I have the rear button for LV, have used focus stacking and have since then usd LV for the back button without disabling LV on the back button.