The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

Hulyss Bowman

There is nothing defamatory, or illegal about being critical of any company or its products.
It is not about that it is about saying wrong statements about the brand or the products, who mislead the potential buyer, if I understood correctly.

The X1D looks great! It also looks like it will feel great in the hand, unlike the ergo-mess of the Leica SL.
Well... the S was super by his time and it still a super system. That said the XD-1 is the first pad in the pond ! The lenses aren't that expensive and are LS. this is perfect for most application but will not replace the H system for some major applications.

synn

It is not about that it is about saying wrong statements about the brand or the products, who mislead the potential buyer, if I understood correctly.
Fair enough.
If Phase followed this rule, some infamous trolls in LuLa would be in big trouble :ROTFL:

Hulyss Bowman

Looking forward to the sample images, Hulyss. Your work is always inspiring and I am sure you will do proper justice to the camera. :)
Thanks for your kind word but we will wait and see. I do not know yet in what sort of conditions I will test it. Surprise (if I can keep it for more than a day or just an afternoon ... I dunno).

V

Vivek

Aptly applies to Lunar, Stellar and Solar (did that ever come in to the market?). SOny NEX-7, RX100 and A99.

FWIW, I am a potential buyer of the mirrorless digicams (any format). It is good to know the "fact" that the Hasselblad team has seen the competition's product. Looking forward to all of it.

Hulyss Bowman

Aptly applies to Lunar, Stellar and Solar (did that ever come in to the market?). SOny NEX-7, RX100 and A99.

FWIW, I am potential buyer of the mirrorless digicams (any format). It is good to know the "fact" that the Hasselblad team has seen the competition's product. Looking forward to all of it.
I understand what you say but I think we must go forward and forget about this. H is serious, they did some little mistakes (not MF related by the way). We must start to be objective with what is actual and writing a new story.

V

Vivek

I understand what you say but I think we must go forward and forget about this. H is serious, they did some little mistakes (not MF related by the way). We must start to be objective with what is actual and writing a new story.
That is reasonable but any fascist draconian threat is bound to doom the enterprise.

Quentin_Bargate

Once all the excitement dies down, what and who is the X1D really for? Slow-ish lenses, not many of them, expensive and matched or nearly matched (despite what they might say) by several full frame DSLRs.

Great design, how it should be done, but does it have a market amongst anyone other than bankers looking to spend their bonuses?

Edit: I still want one, but I'm not a banker so don't qualify :mad:

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Important notice :

First point : The yesterday leak (from a shop).

Hasselblad is utterly angry and the person (or moral person) will be sued by the hard way.
Good luck with that. "IF" the company that leaked is a legit Hasselblad dealer, they can pull the dealership. But sue? Ask Steve Jobs how well that works.
Second point : The defamatory posts :

Hasselblad (world) are just bored by the forums but very attentive too. There is a new law in Europe as well in US who will permit Hassy to pursue people or moral persons bashing wrongly the hassy products or making any kind of defamatory posts about hassy products. It is new and will be applied. Hearing the guy himself... I trust them. In a way, I completely agree with this principle.
Good luck with that ... in fact this one is laughable

This guy doesn't sound like much of a CEO if this is the kind of stuff he's worried about at the most important product launch Hasselblad has had a very long time.

And despite their supposed boredom of forums and product bashing LuLa is important enough to them to make sure they had all the information to post an article moments after the announcement.

V

Vivek

Once all the excitement dies down, what and who is the X1D really for? Slow-ish lenses, not many of them, expensive and matched or nearly matched (despite what they might say) by several full frame DSLRs.

Great design, how it should be done, but does it have a market amongst anyone other than bankers looking to spend their bonuses?
I am a bit surprised that Hulyss who sounds like a model for austerity in everything camera related is getting to test an unit.

(Is this what was rumored to be a "game changer"?)

Would he buy one with real money at full price?

(He does make some nice portraits and am sure he would do justice to any gear he uses but that is a different matter altogether)

Chris Giles

FWIW when a camera can only shoot 2.5 frames per second you don't really need UHS-ii

You can still use those cards in a UHS-1 slot though to benefit from the read speeds and C-Fast would of added needless size to the camera.

I'm glad it doesn't have 4k - video with a medium format sensor is plain fugly (645z rolling shutter anyone)?

MrSmith

There is nothing defamatory, or illegal about being critical of any company or its products.
Exactly. Nobodies moral rights have been impinged, nobody has made false claims. Hassleblad are not above critisism, if anything they should take it on the chin and strive to improve. I have to say their recent releases seem to indicate they are heading in the right direction.
They would be better off not spending money on lawyers chasing spurious claims (sorry Quentin) but diverting that money to research/development

hcubell

Edit: I still want one, but I'm not a banker so don't qualify :mad:
I think it could be an excellent platform for landscape and "travel" where the user places a premium on light and portable but doesn't want to trade off image quality. Think about the X1D not with just two prime lenses but instead with a full range of smallish primes and an exceptional 24-70mm equivalent f/4 zoom. The promise is there.

There is a lot of interest here and elsewhere about what kind of competing MF mirrorless cameras may be forthcoming from Sony, Fuji and Phase One. I am curious what people think those cameras may offer that the X1D lacks. One thing I am sure of is that they won't be lighter and more compact.

DougDolde

I really could see dumping my XF / IQ180 for this new X1D. The XF is unbearably heavy especially with the 40-80mm attached. Yes I'd lose a bit of resolution and C1 but the small lightweight Blad plus high ISO capability would make up for that.

Anyone else have the same thoughts ?

Hulyss Bowman

I really could see dumping my XF / IQ180 for this new X1D. The XF is unbearably heavy especially with the 40-80mm attached. Yes I'd lose a bit of resolution and C1 but the small lightweight Blad plus high ISO capability would make up for that.

Anyone else have the same thoughts ?
Well... if you do not need more resolution for what you do and can cope with the fact of loosing C1 (hard)... yes it can be a real weight advantage. But Phase might come with something too,I do not know but it seems logic. So it is up to you, it's in your hands :)

You can try a unit and make your final opinion.

Ulfric Douglas

Let me get this straight : the body has no shutter but the two introduced lenses have integral leaf-shutters.

With the correct adapter it should theoretically operate with thrid-party lenses with integral leaf-shutters. right? Leica-S for example?

It does not offer global e-shutter on the current sensor?