The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

iiiNelson

I taught 28 workshops with many of the members here as well and my gut feeling after all the DSLR cams we had and all the tech cam cool stuff we played with. If I had just one of these available we would have a tug a war on our hands on getting to use it. I know many attendees would have rather had something as simple as this to work with. Now take that case scenario outside the workshop environment than I know this would be the case no question about it. This is extremely interesting and it actually gives me a chance to sneak back in.

I'm already working on getting a demo unit. I'm not stupid . Lol
i agree that this is a camera that I'd love to have but part of me wants to know more about it, see a lens roadmap, and see what Photokina brings. This is definitely a huge game changing move for Hasselblad.

I this could have benefitted from a FPS or an electronic shutter (if one isn't present on here) because there are some V lenses like the 110/2 that would probably be really nice on the X1D. IBIS, True Focus or selectable focus points would've been nice as well. The 45 and 90 wouldn't be anymore limiting for me as when I'd take my Leica M9 out with a 35/75 combo. So for a travel camera for a photo trip this would be nice with something like an A7R2+70-300 mounted.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow! A bit too rich for me.

[What is a luxury camera bag? Would it carry itself? :rolleyes:]
A bag made with premium materials or craftsmanship... or the illusion of such. That being said I have a couple of ONA bags and wouldn't trade them for much else in a messenger style bag.

V

Vivek

The two lenses appear to have quite a bit of distortions.

Not sure if the mtf charts on the net are before or after the in camera corrections.

It's a separate $350 Billingham bag. Expensive yes but not outrageously so in the luxury camera bag market.
Excellent handmade English craftsmanship, top notch quality and functional. I have 2 of them already 20 years or so and they last forever, also look good forever. still looking like new.

BJNY

I just attended Hasselblad X1D launch in NYC,
and got to handle the camera and ask questions.

I'd say Hasselblad got it right. Congrats to their team.

A couple tidbits:
• camera shoots at 1.7 to 2.3 fps depending on ISO
• battery is 3200 mAh (looks/functions similar to Leica S battery)

Godfrey

The Hasselblad I have used the most over the years I've had Hassy gear is the SWC. I emulate it now with the Leica SL fitted with either Super-Elmar-R 15mm or Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm lenses, and the SL set to square format, netting a 16Mpixel square image with about the same FoV as the SWC ... and if I run my lenses wide open rather than at the usual f/8 to f/11 I run on the SWC, the DoF aligns pretty well too.

The X1D's 44x33 mm 50Mpixel sensor says to me that I could get closer to an SWC with it by cropping square (33x33mm) for a ~37Mpixel image and fitting a 22mm lens. If and when I can get an X1D body plus that lens for $15000 (three times the price of my 903SWC in years past), it will be time to review what other equipment I'm willing to sell. :)

Beyond that, it looks like a very nice camera and I'd be delighted to work with it, but it's out of my reach financially for the present. Beyond that, the SL plus its 24-90 lens, plus my existing R lenses, suit my photography very well and I have little need to replace them.

G

V

Vivek

A couple tidbits:
Is there an e shutter?

Is there a "shoot without lens" possibility?

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I really could see dumping my XF / IQ180 for this new X1D. The XF is unbearably heavy especially with the 40-80mm attached. Yes I'd lose a bit of resolution and C1 but the small lightweight Blad plus high ISO capability would make up for that.

Anyone else have the same thoughts ?
I guess I'm having problems wondering what this would deliver over a a7rII with great glass on it? Even lighter, tons of lens choices some of them incredibly, comparable resolution, even better ISO performance, BSI sensor, IBIS stabilization. Yeah, maybe some incremental quality with larger sensels and a little more resolution, but the sony system packs some real quality vs the weight.

I think it's a sweet looking camera, and in a few years if they get some great glass and get a 70-80mp sensor in it, then it would be pretty tempting.

A couple tidbits:
How felt the EVF (resolution, lags)?

f8orbust

The Mamiya 7/II was for many the landscape photographer’s camera bar none. It was compact, not too heavy, had phenomenal glass and the 6x7cm transparencies it produced (when in the right hands) were gorgeous. It didn't have tilt/shift, but quite simply that didn't matter.

From what I’ve read so far, the X1D looks to be as close to a digital successor to the Mamiya as we’ve yet to see.

With the 43, 65 and 80 the Mamiya came in at ~2kg (plus film of course!) With the 30, 45 and 90, the total weight of the X1D is gonna be ~3kg. Compare that to the lightest current 3 lens MF alternative - an Alpa TC + DB + (23, 35 and 70) + viewfinder (or iPhone holder); that all comes in at ~4.5kg.

If I was a landscape shooter wanting to shoot MF without schlepping around a ton of gear, this would be right up there on my wish list.

Jim

cerett

I guess I'm having problems wondering what this would deliver over a a7rII with great glass on it? Even lighter, tons of lens choices some of them incredibly, comparable resolution, even better ISO performance, BSI sensor, IBIS stabilization. Yeah, maybe some incremental quality with larger sensels and a little more resolution, but the sony system packs some real quality vs the weight.

I think it's a sweet looking camera, and in a few years if they get some great glass and get a 70-80mp sensor in it, then it would be pretty tempting.
My thoughts exactly. If I did not have the Sony A7rII and a lot of Canon glass (some really terrific), I would find the X1D very attractive. I do believe the X1D is a game changer for MF, but not for me at this point.

rickgrainger

As a wedding and portrait photographer I find the X1D to be very interesting and tempting. The Nikon TTL compatible flash system is a biggie (for me), as are the dual card slots and the leaf shutter lenses. I tend not to "spray and pray" so 2 fps seems okay to me. The 45mm lens, a 30mm lens, a 120mm macro, and maybe something longer would be perfect.

Any other wedding photographers out there? Your honest opinion is always appreciated. :)

Rick

fotografz

As a wedding and portrait photographer I find the X1D to be very interesting and tempting. The Nikon TTL compatible flash system is a biggie (for me), as are the dual card slots and the leaf shutter lenses. I tend not to "spray and pray" so 2 fps seems okay to me. The 45mm lens, a 30mm lens, a 120mm macro, and maybe something longer would be perfect.

Any other wedding photographers out there? Your honest opinion is always appreciated. :)

Rick
I agree Rick. Although I've tapered off weddings, I could see this as a go to kit for most wedding work. I'd probably adapt the HC100/2.2 rather than go for a 90mm just to gain the speed. The HC100/2.2 isn't that large so would probably work fine.

- Marc

BJNY

Touchscreen was very responsive.

User interface is fantastic IMHO.
Turning main dial on top is mirrored in rear LCD.

Industrial design was very well thought out,
even down to port covers.

kdphotography

Rick
I've drastically cut back on weddings as well. But this just might be a nice small light kit to use. (Fast Autofocus??) I'd be interested to see how well the Nikon flash shoe works with a Nikon TTL Profoto Air transmitter coupled with a Profoto B1 and B2. What a great portable combination! I'm not a fan of TTL, but the Profoto TTL works amazingly well, and gets you really close for final adjustments. Add being able to control output from the camera too. I don't hear many talking about this feature-set, but I think this could be a hidden gem. Not a game changer in my opinion, but definitely kudos to Hasselblad.

Ken

BJNY

The first thing I did, upon being handed the camera, was to take off the lens
to see if there is enough room in the camera body for 100mp sensor, but no.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The Mamiya 7/II was for many the landscape photographer’s camera bar none. It was compact, not too heavy, had phenomenal glass and the 6x7cm transparencies it produced (when in the right hands) were gorgeous. It didn't have tilt/shift, but quite simply that didn't matter.

From what I’ve read so far, the X1D looks to be as close to a digital successor to the Mamiya as we’ve yet to see.
My thoughts as well. Definitely the 2016 version of the Mamiya 7 with a small collection of lenses & AF. I also have a similar set up with my XPan II too (3 lenses cover everything, albeit pano). Heck, I travel mostly with a Sony RX1R II anyway.

If I was a landscape shooter wanting to shoot MF without schlepping around a ton of gear, this would be right up there on my wish list.

Jim
Me too.

For MF I schlep around my boat anchor (or is it reassuringly dense and heavy?) XF or lightweight Actus DB+, both with the same sensor as the X1D. I could easily see myself taking along a small X1D outfit sometimes.

Now if Phase One supported Hasselblad raws in Capture One. :banghead: