The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

jerome_m

Larger formats enable you to obtain shallower DoF for when that is appropriate, smaller formats allow you to obtain deeper DoF.
In practice, however, the format which allows better control of DoF is 24x36 because of the availability of very fast lenses. I am just posting that correction, because it is a common misconception that MF has thinner depth of field. It does not have lenses fast enough for that.

robertwright

It makes me think that the whole full frame mirrorless sony thing is a bit of a waste now- its not saving any size over ff 35mm optical viewfinder cameras- which I understood was part of the draw initially- those small bodies? But a ff 24-70 f2.8 is a pineapple regardless so the size argument for Sony kind of goes out the window-

In the same size package you could have the Hassy albeit with primes only but for my money, if I had to go mirrorless, I'd rather the larger chip.

Taking the optical vf out of medium format changes a lot. Taking the optical out of 35mm ff sort of changes nothing.

Still have my heart set on maybe Fuji taking their hybrid rangefinder EVF design and plonking a 50mp mf chip in the back. That is the real Mamiya 7 back from the grave.

Godfrey

You left off the S and that was very limited out of the gate and took some time to get a adapter.

Anyway let's try and stay on topic with the X1D everyone
Indeed, the S came up a little later in the discussion, see my response to Stefan Steib. Leica is always slow on such stuff—they just announced their S adapter for the SL, and haven't announced the R adapter yet. But that's neither here nor there.

The X1D is very very interesting to me. It's the first MF digital camera that is sized in the ballpark of what I want to carry and use. I'm not interested in buying with the current lens selection, an ultra-wide lens will drive me there, but that doesn't mean I don't want to understand*and discuss it like anyone else does. ;-)

G

Godfrey

In practice, however, the format which allows better control of DoF is 24x36 because of the availability of very fast lenses. I am just posting that correction, because it is a common misconception that MF has thinner depth of field. It does not have lenses fast enough for that.
It's interesting: In ye olde days when a medium format camera had at fastest an f/4.5 lens and a 35mm camera had an f/2.8 or f/2 lens with similar field of view, the complaint most often heard was that the MF camera could not get enough DoF without going to exposure times that were obnoxiously long and unsuitable for many uses. Ah modern times ... :)

The MF sensor formats are smaller than the MF film formats so the differences are less. And, indeed, common availability of ultra-fast lenses for 35mm format has changed the game somewhat too. But there is still a difference: the coupling between FoV and DoF varies with format size, even if the differences are more subtle than they used to be, and it's those differences along with the gradation nuances of the larger sensor that generally push photographers to the larger formats.

There has been a lot of talk in recent years that the 24, then 36, now 50 Mpixel 35FF cameras have obviated and eroded the MF camera's reason for being. But it's obvious from the amount of interest that the X1D has generated that this isn't really so. It seems to me that the bulk and price of MF Digital, until this camera, were simply out of reach for many. Now that something is becoming available*at a more approachable price/size point, there's a heck of a lot of interest.

G

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
My guess now is about a stop difference between the two DOF wise . It's a increase of 1.7 in sensor size so not as much as with the FF backs.

As I said in all the workshops I taught I think many folks would have loved to have this instead of the full system back than. Really this a Domke bag system not so much a backpack. BTW I leased a back one and was not a bad idea at the time. It's crossing my mind as I can keep most of my Sony gear. I would lease the body buy the glass

Guy Mancuso

Check this out from Fotofunding on a lease

On 10k

First line dollar buy out

View Quote
Create PDF Quote Letter Display Web Printable Quote Letter Premium Financing Program

Submit an application by clicking the Process an Application by the payment amount.
Purchase Options 24 Months 36 Months 48 Months 60 Months
$1.00
$500.00 Apply Now
$350.00 Apply Now
$270.00 Apply Now
$225.00 Apply Now
FMV
$470.00 Apply Now
$325.00 Apply Now
$255.00 Apply Now
$213.00 Apply Now
Definitions

I've skimmed though a lot of the posts, but have certainly not read them all. I went to a preview event today and got to shoot with one. First impression was great. The size, weight, handling all felt like a very compact, but solid camera. When you take the lens off, the body looks like it's ALL sensor. It's pretty amazing to see that they took what was the size of a digital back and fit it into the small body that they did. The AF seemed to be very accurate and the MF has a very nice long throw. The image kind of popped into focus, I'm not sure of the tracking capabilities. I didn't mess with any of the AF settings. The lenses were well sized and balanced. The HC adapter will allow use of the other lenses, but will add a lot of space between the mount and the lens. So it won't balance as well. It was pre-production firmware, etc. so we couldn't shoot to our own card.The EVF looked good, though not quite as good as the SL's. But I am very impressed so far and they are still working on adding a lot of functionality to the camera before release. If you are thinking about getting the camera, I'd highly encouraged you to find one of their demo days as they travel around the country with it. Hope this helps.

Guy Mancuso

Not sure . More money than I like to spend but will see after Photokinia. I want to know what's coming if anything first.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
How do you control remote shutter release with the X1D? There seems to be no mention about this other than via tethering.

Did anyone ask at the show & tell?

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Have to say that I am reconsidering the move ... two unknown lenses that may be technically wonderful but soul-less.

As I look at all of the responses I am conflicted ... could Hasselblad not find a Jono who could distill the essence of this body,
sensor and lenses so that the rest of us could imagine how we could leverage it. All sorts of comparisons which may be correct
or not. No telling until the final firmware and actual camera is in hand.

I desperately want this to be a good choice but as I look at the images from my Leica S with the 100 and 45 I am convinced that
this will not improve my pictures nor re-define my vision.

So I may sit this one out ....

Tired of throwing a bunch of cash at an unknown ...

Sort of like watching the confetti fly at the parade ....

Great sensor ... good start on a system ... but two lenses do not make a system.

JMHO

and I have been learning humility the hard way over the past couple of years.

Regards,

Bob

PeterA

The elephant in the room ( for me) is the 50 megapixel chip - hand holding 50 megapixels when using strobe shooting at up to 1/2000th is fine - but hand holding in available light? I am always looking for something to put my Alpa on when shooting in available light - the light lenses and heavy camera combination kinda works more often than not - and copal lens vibration induced fuzziness is not a problem - except for each lens nasty vibration point usually around 1/15th..this camera (like all) will best be used on a tripod or monopod for best results - so I am asking myself will the small size of the camera allow for better hand hold ability than my digiback combination and will I be likely to use a monopod as part of my walk around kit to get the most out of the chip?I am feeling that the answer to both is yes.

FPS on a body like this as others have stated might have been a bridge too far- in my experience- a properly executed leaf shuttered lens is a better all round bet with less potential for vibration induced issues ...wehat a pity I have a lot of legacy MF glass of high quality which requires FPS...oh well

So megapixel count tick/Size tick/Price tick/ - all that remains is some info on lens quality and IQ - going by MTF charts - the two release lenses look fine for a MF chip/tick?

tcdeveau

How do you control remote shutter release with the X1D? There seems to be no mention about this other than via tethering.

I imagine you can remote trigger via wifi and the Phocus mobile (iOS, not sure about android) app. I think you can even focus with the app on the H5D-50c and up by tapping on the screen where you want to focus. One forum user posted a video on YouTube awhile back with the H5D-50c wifi (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TebqC9ZdKJg) but I could be wrong about functionality and features, esp re: the X1D. I hope we see this functionality on the X1D. Hopefully they have a more traditional cable remote release planned as well (maybe via USB?).

Guy Mancuso

Have to say that I am reconsidering the move ... two unknown lenses that may be technically wonderful but soul-less.

As I look at all of the responses I am conflicted ... could Hasselblad not find a Jono who could distill the essence of this body,
sensor and lenses so that the rest of us could imagine how we could leverage it. All sorts of comparisons which may be correct

I desperately want this to be a good choice but as I look at the images from my Leica S with the 100 and 45 I am convinced that

Great sensor ... good start on a system ... but two lenses do not make a system.

JMHO

Regards,

Bob
I'm tiring hard to get one to test.

If you have the S 007, I would agree that it won't change much for you. If you have a CCD S(006, etc.), then I think it would, if you needed the higher ISO's/live view, etc. I've got he Hx4/IQ140 and the S 006 as a more compact body with the H adapter for my lenses. After playing with it today, I would probably switch the Leica S 006 system for the H X1D, to have a compact system and gain the higher ISO/CMOS advantage and keep the other CCD system. If I already had an 007, I would probably just keep it and wait on this for a little while. Also, in terms of lens character, it seems to have it at a quick glance, and what I was referring to with the long throw of the manual focus. I was MF'ing using the video function and the bokeh looked pretty buttery on the huge camera display. I really hope they can beef up the video specs before release. I know it's built as a still camera, with video kind of thrown in, but if they can up the video quality, this would be ideal for me. I know they are somewhat limited by what the sensor can read out, but I'm hoping they can get the max out of it.

Cheers,
Josh

JMHO

Regards,

Bob

hcubell

I would assume that they will sell a remote cable release at some point. In the meantime, I recall that someone said that your iphone could be used.