The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

Pradeep

I have used a full range of Hasselblad H series lenses for over 10 years. With the exception of the 35mm lens, which was soft in the corners and I sold it, I have found the HC lenses to be excellent optically across the board. The 80, the 100, the 150N, the 210 and the 300 are excellent. The 50II is exceptional. I am not a wide angle lens guy, so I am not familiar with the 24 and the 28. I prefer longer lenses for my style of landscape work.
The X1D will start out with a 45mm and a 90mm, with a 30mm to follow. I am confident that Hasselblad knows what it is doing in designing these lenses, and they will also be excellent. They would cover my needs up to 90mm. As for adapting the 150N and the 210, I am concerned about the weight of those lenses on the X1D lens mount. Hasselblad has not commented on that issue, AFAIK.
I don't use my H1/IQ180 to photograph people, so things like "drawing power" and bokeh aren't an issue for me, but there are many Hasselblad shooters who do use them to photograph people and are apparently happy. For many years, the H1 and and HC lenses have been the de facto standard in rental houses.

Thanks, I am not surprised that H1 and HC lenses are so well reputed, that was my impression too.

I don't do people either and my only interest in the X1D is for landscape photography since it is even less suitable for wildlife than the Pentax (which I have used with some success in Africa).

I really like the idea of MF but the Phase IQ180 did not work for me. Pentax is so much more useful but still limited due to size/weight constraints and the lack of top notch glass - the newer ones are expensive and way too heavy again.

So, if the X1D holds its promise of quality in a small package (no reason why it shouldn't), then it would be a very interesting landscape camera for my needs. Since I don't have any experience with H glass, I appreciate your input on its quality. Even if the new lenses are not stellar, the older ones that are could still be used. Big lens/small body is better than big lens/big body.

tjv

I guess for someone in your position you'll need to check to make sure your lenses can handle the firmware updates to accomidate contrast detection AF with the X1D, as Hasselblad have said in their post announcement interviews. Fingers crossed.

The minute I saw this new Hassy camera I knew the direction of my photography was going to change for good. I've shot many cameras and formats most of my life, including the Hassy 503 film camera system and wonderful lenses and for the last 11 years my Hassy H2 system with 4 different Phase One backs. I will eventually be getting the X1D and using my H lenses....80 and 100 and probably the new 45mm lens for this camera. No more big, bulky, heavy camera systems....only this Mirrorless Hassy and my Sony . My Hasselblad lenses over the years ...both film and digital have been unbeatable. My only regret is not being able to use C1 with Hasselblad RAW.... Eleanor

V

Vivek

I can live with that even if it is not entirely "hand made" and is called XT1. :)

hcubell

Not a lot of news there. The Sony 50mp sensor is reputed to cost $4,000 by itself, so if that's true, how much cheaper can Fuji sell the body? No doubt they can produce a camera more cheaply than Hasselblad, but if the body comes in at less than $7000 or so, I expect there will be significant trade offs. Maybe much bigger and heavier, maybe a lousy UI, maybe mediocre ergonomics, maybe too much shutter vibration. I look forward to seeing what Fuji comes up with.

V

Vivek

Not a lot of news there. The Sony 50mp sensor is reputed to cost $4,000 by itself, so if that's true, how much cheaper can Fuji sell the body?
That $4,000 figure comes from Ming Thein. It is unsubstantiated.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Seriously if they sold it for 4K they be stupid as hell. If Hassy is charging 9k they could charge as much as 8k and we would consider it s bargain. 6k and they would sell like crazy.

algrove

If they sell it for $6k, I would assume they are installing post earthquake sensors before new production started (starts) up.

V

Vivek

Seriously if they sold it for 4K they be stupid as hell. If Hassy is charging 9k they could charge as much as 8k and we would consider it s bargain. 6k and they would sell like crazy.
8k and with a decent focal plane shutter, i would call it a bargain and would be seriously be interested in it.

Paul2660

Not a lot of news there. The Sony 50mp sensor is reputed to cost $4,000 by itself, so if that's true, how much cheaper can Fuji sell the body? No doubt they can produce a camera more cheaply than Hasselblad, but if the body comes in at less than $7000 or so, I expect there will be significant trade offs. Maybe much bigger and heavier, maybe a lousy UI, maybe mediocre ergonomics, maybe too much shutter vibration. I look forward to seeing what Fuji comes up with.
I can't speak to the sensor cost @ 4K, however I do trust that if Fuji brings out their MF camera at Photokina, it will be well designed, especially if the UI, ergonomics, design, etc are created by the same team that has brought out the X-T1, T2, (soon) and X-Pro2.

I expect more "planted rumors" of the Fuji will start in late July, once the X-T2 is launched next week.

Hopefully Fuji will carry over some of their good design points:

1. Phase detect, and up to 276 focus points (this on really has my interest based on latest Hasselblad comments)
2. Tilting/moving LCD
3. UI based on the X-Pro2 which allows user to control playback and AF adjustment with one hand
4. OIS on their lenses, or possible a BIS design, but some form of image stabilization
5. Zoom lenses and prime lens design
6. Focal shutter and electronic shutter
7. Constraint of heat build up (done very well on the X-T1, not so well on the X-Pro2)
8. Possible battery grip for longer use in the field
9. Remove support via both wired, and WiFi

Price point is anyone's guess, but I personally will be very surprised if the camera comes in over 4.5K, (no lens)

And that still leaves the elephant in the room, Sony, as I have to believe they are working on a similar offering, and Sony does know mirrorless, and know it quite well indeed.

Paul C

fotografz

I hope a Fuji comes along, especially if it is a focal plane shutter camera. Then we all have choices based on our specific need.

The good news is that, while not cheap, even the Hasselbad is not stupidly priced compared to MFD of the past.

I think Hasselblad was wise to maintain their positioning, and would be even wiser to make sure the H adapter is available when the camera launches. The HC 50mm, 80mm and 100mm are not that big, and they are all faster than the planed lenses.

Exciting times.

- Marc

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I hope a Fuji comes along, especially if it is a focal plane shutter camera. Then we all have choices based on our specific need.

The good news is that, while not cheap, even the Hasselbad is not stupidly priced compared to MFD of the past.

I think Hasselblad was wise to maintain their positioning, and would be even wiser to make sure the H adapter is available when the camera launches. The HC 50mm, 80mm and 100mm are not that big, and they are all faster than the planed lenses.

Exciting times.

- Marc
No sense as to what sensor Fuji will implement ... if it is a Sony and not one of their X-Trans spec'd sensors they will have admitted that their vision of the future is at best not consistent.

And if they introduce a larger X-Trans then the question becomes ... to how bad of a raw processing program do we have to submit ourselves?

Still having less than stellar output from the X-Pros and at the investment level of a MF sensor it had better be great. No half measures. No lossy compressed RAW.

Me ... I cannot fathom the sense of trust for manufacturers who have consistently dropped major items and expect their clients to be satisfied with half-baked solutions.

So the X1D looks pretty good ... considering the marginal history of both Sony and Fuji in their near history of product implementation.

Oh well .... back to the regularly scheduled program.

Bob

Uaiomex

I was thinking about this figure just mentoned here. Way too much to be credible.

Where would that put the Nikon 810 sensor? $1,500, $1,800?
Not a surprise that Nikon is in trouble! :cry:

That $4,000 figure comes from Ming Thein. It is unsubstantiated.

dennishuang

I am really excited about the Hasselblad X1D and am thinking about getting it since I have been interested in getting a medium format camera and do a lot of studio work and would love the flash sync speed up to 1/2000.

I know the final product and features aren’t finalized but I was wondering about the autofocus. I read that touch autofocus would be a feature and that the focus point will be able to be moved; however, I was wondering how the focus point will be moved when looking through the EVF. On my camera I have a multi selector (thumb controller) button. I do see that the X1D has fixed buttons and dials but it seems like it would be awkward to move the focus point when shooting with the EVF.

Does anybody know or have an educated guess about how Hasselblad will/could implement moving the focus point when shooting with the EVF?

Also, does anybody know if Hasselblad will have manual focus aids like focus peaking or magnify? I saw that Hasselblad responded to that question with "Autofocus metering via contrast detection with instant manual focus override" but did not directly answer the question.

Thanks!

V

Vivek

I was thinking about this figure just mentoned here. Way too much to be credible.

Where would that put the Nikon 810 sensor? $1,500, $1,800?
Not a surprise that Nikon is in trouble! :cry:
$250/36mp FF sensor. I have bought NEX-5N (aps-c 16mp) sensors for $50.

bab

$4k is the old price before mass consumption!

DougDolde

Well we thought the Pentax 645Z was a good deal for high quality medium format but it was bulky and odd looking. This one will have good looks, small size and high image quality. It's almost a no brainer for me though I do quite like the Phase One XF / IQ180 / 40-80mm combo for shooting near the car. its heavy and as bulky as a large format film camera, even an 8x10

I'LL TRY TO ANSWER AS BEST I CAN REMEMBER.
1: Startup time.- WAS SEVERAL SECONDS, BUT PRE-PRODUCTION AND WILL GET QUICKER BEFORE RELEASE
2: What the screen blackout duration is like (I'd program the camera so it doesn't show the image just taken, just goes straight back to the live feed.)- DON'T REMEMBER EXACTLY, DID SEE BLACK AFTER CAPTURE, BUT DON'T REMEMBER IT BEING DISTRACTINGLY LONG
3: If there is a 60mm lens planned for release.
4: If there is a wired remote planned. I'd be gutted if it's just wifi via an iPhone or something. I'D ASSUME THERE WOULD BE SOME WAY TO DO THIS WITH ALL THE INPUT OPTIONS
5: Will electronic levels be able to be displayed in the EVF and / or on the rear screen?- IT SEEMED THAT EVERYTHING THAT WAS VIEWABLE ON THE BACK, WOULD BE VIEWABLE IN THE EVF, BUT I DON'T REMEMBER SPECIFICALLY.
6: Will there be an option to display hyperfocal and focus distance measurements on screen, seeing as there are no distance scales on lenses? NO CLUE
7: For manual focusing, can you turn on a magnified patch, in the EVF and / or back screen, to find focus a little bit like with a rangefinder (but without overlapping images, if that makes sense?) YES, YOU COULD ALREADY TURN ON A MAGNIFY PATCH AND IT ZOOMED IN 100%. I DIDN'T ASK IF THERE WERE OTHER ZOMM LEVEL OPTIONS
8: Can I have one?[/QUOTE]
$$$$
Hope that helps

In an attempt to answer my own question, I read this on DPReview about the A7R.

"AF System & Performance

Unlike the a7, which has a 'hybrid' autofocus system, the a7R sticks with a more conventional contrast detect setup... from our experiences, its focusing performance is on-par with DSLRs in good light, and a bit slower than the best mirrorless models.

In low light, however, the camera can struggle to focus - unless you are mindful to set the AF point over a contrasty area. If you do so, we've been very pleased by the camera's autofocus accuracy in shot after shot."

LINK TO REVIEW PAGE

It seems I might be more pleased with the X1D AF performance than I first though when reading through peoples initial impressions of the specs. If Hasselblad can develop the firmware to improve the initial demo units performance, then it seems I'll most probably be happy. As long as it's not too slow and is accurate, that is.

So, besides general AF performance, these are the things I'm interested in knowing, in no particular order.
I'LL TRY TO ANSWER AS BEST I CAN REMEMBER.
1: Startup time.- WAS SEVERAL SECONDS, BUT PRE-PRODUCTION AND WILL GET QUICKER BEFORE RELEASE
2: What the screen blackout duration is like (I'd program the camera so it doesn't show the image just taken, just goes straight back to the live feed.)- DON'T REMEMBER EXACTLY, DID SEE BLACK AFTER CAPTURE, BUT DON'T REMEMBER IT BEING DISTRACTINGLY LONG
3: If there is a 60mm lens planned for release.
4: If there is a wired remote planned. I'd be gutted if it's just wifi via an iPhone or something. I'D ASSUME THERE WOULD BE SOME WAY TO DO THIS WITH ALL THE INPUT OPTIONS
5: Will electronic levels be able to be displayed in the EVF and / or on the rear screen?- IT SEEMED THAT EVERYTHING THAT WAS VIEWABLE ON THE BACK, WOULD BE VIEWABLE IN THE EVF, BUT I DON'T REMEMBER SPECIFICALLY.
6: Will there be an option to display hyperfocal and focus distance measurements on screen, seeing as there are no distance scales on lenses? NO CLUE
7: For manual focusing, can you turn on a magnified patch, in the EVF and / or back screen, to find focus a little bit like with a rangefinder (but without overlapping images, if that makes sense?) YES, YOU COULD ALREADY TURN ON A MAGNIFY PATCH AND IT ZOOMED IN 100%. I DIDN'T ASK IF THERE WERE OTHER ZOMM LEVEL OPTIONS
8: Can I have one?
$$$$
Hope that helps