The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

rmueller

don´t think it is bad, it is only tailored for the target audience hasselblad wants for this camera.
Oh guys come on, what are you expecting? An old bearded guy with a leather hat carrying a heavy wooden tripod
and babbling how the X1D is so much better than his beloved 8x10" ?

Ad is nice and good to see HB has taken care of the visual balance between the camera and the photographer ;-)

Take it easy, Ralf.

JeRuFo

Hasselblad has a bad case of verbal diarrhea since the introduction of the X1D. You would think they would put out a few ads showing the camera in actual use and how it works. They say it's a game changer, but they're not telling what the new game is and so it is hard to decide if one wants to play or not.

Leica has had the same approach for a few years. I don't mind their cameras being a little less MP than the competition and I understand they are about the user experience too, but it is not right that you often have to search quite hard for the answers to technical questions on their website.

Godfrey

Nothing a manufacturer can do will satisfy you guys. Technical info is in the data sheets. Did you want a lecture on using a camera? Aren't we a little beyond that need?

This ad showed the camera in the hands of a photographer, a user, which lets me judge its size, weight, balance, and how the controls fitted to her hands. It let me see the size and position of controls on the lens. It also showed some nice photographs. Good enough for me.

It's an advertisement, not a seminar lecture.

G

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Sorry I'm with Jie in this one it's about her and only her. She barely holds the camera correctly. Given the time frame in announcement I would have much preferred a nice chat about some of its current features, ergos and such so we can get a better idea on it. Certainly does not help ANYONE on even a piece of the buying decision. It's a complete fail. As Joe said she did not even mention the name. Once again and I keep repeating it and I'm about to just quit this business buts more about her social media status than any value how good she maybe. I'm so ducking done about this stuff I really am. I worked 40 years in this business and warned my strips so now I do t get work because my Facebook page don't have 4 million likes . Screw this **** now all the marketing is how popular you are. Yea this is seriously under my skin . I'm 60 this year and I don't need 10000 friends to get me work . Btw nothing against Laura my comments have nothing to do with her but the stupid mentality of this industry now.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
With that I'm taking a month off from the forum. I need a break and I'm traveling so a good time to take a much needed break. Be well everyone

MrSmith

Btw nothing against Laura my comments have nothing to do with her but the stupid mentality of this industry now.
but what i am increasingly seeing and have experienced myself is brands employing ‘instagrammers’ but having limited success. i myself have had jobs where instagram was the primary media and increasingly art buyers are moving away from the grammers as the quality just isn’t there and for some brands the product demands higher quality imagery that only a professional who is used to delivering quality work day in day out, the arbitryness of most of the instagrammers just doesnt sit well with how campaigns are produced.

i know of one with 100k followers who does sponsored posts for £££ but you have to be very careful as followers tend to leave as soon as they feel they are being sold to. the same photographer/instagrammer was employed by a friend for an editorial but there were some basic flaws in the supplied files that shouldn’t have been there. they have a good eye and they take good instagram images but it doesn't always translate.

in short they haven’t stolen work from me but instagram has created work for me. it’s not all doom and gloom.
enjoy your break, make some images.:thumbup:

V

Vivek

Technical info is in the data sheets.

G
Unfortunately, it isn't.

Though Hasselblad answered my question about the Billingham bag, there has been total silence on other technial questions.

hcubell

I watched the video a second time and still don't get it. It's about Laura Bailey, not the X1D:

And it literally focused on her more than on the camera. The entire dialogue was about her and her interests. She didn't even say, "I like this camera", after two days with the camera. Sorry, but this ad sucks. Yes, I'd rather see "an old bearded guy with a leather hat carrying a heavy wooden tripod and babbling how the X1D is so much better than his beloved 8x10". When ads focus more on the actor/actress than on the product, I get suspicious (and cynical). And this is coming from a guy who's placed a pre-order for one. So my skin is in the game.

Joe
Not a big deal to me, but it still is bad messaging from Hasselblad. There's plenty of time to sell the camera to the luxury market that MAY care what Laura Bailey thinks or does. Far more important given Hasselblad's recent history that it wants to turn away from that Hasselblad puts the camera into the hands of really capable photographers who can talk about shooting the X1D compared to other medium format cameras. There are lots of exceptional photographers in between the two extremes of Laura Bailey and the old goat with the wooden tripod and the 8x10. Hasselblad knows many of them well. How about Richard Misrach or Hans Strand?

algrove

I watched the video a second time and still don't get it. It's about Laura Bailey, not the X1D:Joe
You have more pateince then I since I could barely finish watching it the first time. I like getting out with my camera and getting lost too sometimes, but would I mention that to others who are clamoring for info on the CAMERA? Heck no! I will go to that suburb of NYC this month, if I can get in.

eleanorbrown

I agree....horrible add...beneath Hasselblad. All about "her"...I want to know about the camera. Eleanor

Sorry I'm with Jie in this one it's about her and only her. She barely holds the camera correctly. Given the time frame in announcement I would have much preferred a nice chat about some of its current features, ergos and such so we can get a better idea on it. Certainly does not help ANYONE on even a piece of the buying decision. It's a complete fail. As Joe said she did not even mention the name. Once again and I keep repeating it and I'm about to just quit this business buts more about her social media status than any value how good she maybe. I'm so ducking done about this stuff I really am. I worked 40 years in this business and warned my strips so now I do t get work because my Facebook page don't have 4 million likes . Screw this **** now all the marketing is how popular you are. Yea this is seriously under my skin . I'm 60 this year and I don't need 10000 friends to get me work . Btw nothing against Laura my comments have nothing to do with her but the stupid mentality of this industry now.

Nick-T

Hasselblad has a bad case of verbal diarrhea since the introduction of the X1D. You would think they would put out a few ads showing the camera in actual use and how it works. They say it's a game changer, but they're not telling what the new game is and so it is hard to decide if one wants to play or not.
It's called marketing, and it works. Hasselblad sold more X1Ds in the first week that they had projected for the next 6 months. I think quite a few people have decided to play...

CSP

I agree....horrible add...beneath Hasselblad. All about "her"...I want to know about the camera. Eleanor
this is called emotion the magic word in advertising today. but when fuji will show the same body " hand made in japan" we can hope for better ads too

hcubell

this is called emotion the magic word in advertising today. but when fuji will show the same body " hand made in japan" we can hope for better ads too
Yes, the Fuji mirrorless will have the same size, weight and ergonomics as the X1D; it will have the Sony 100MP sensor with pixel shift technology allowing for the equivalent of 400MP files; it will have a focal plane shutter and come with an adapter allowing the use of every lens ever made; it will ship with a range of 10 fast lenses that are also small and light like the new Hasselblad lenses; it will have in-body image stabilization for all lenses and full range PDAF; it will be fully supported in Capture One; and the body will be under $4,000 and the new Fuji lenses will be under $1,000. Oh, and the featured users in the marketing videos will be Christopher Burkett and Clyde Butcher.
And you STILL won't buy one!

k-hawinkler

Yes, the Fuji mirrorless will have the same size, weight and ergonomics as the X1D; it will have the Sony 100MP sensor with pixel shift technology allowing for the equivalent of 400MP files; it will have a focal plane shutter and come with an adapter allowing the use of every lens ever made; it will ship with a range of 10 fast lenses that are also small and light like the new Hasselblad lenses; it will have in-body image stabilization for all lenses and full range PDAF; it will be fully supported in Capture One; and the body will be under $4,000 and the new Fuji lenses will be under $1,000. Oh, and the featured users in the marketing videos will be Christopher Burkett and Clyde Butcher.
And you STILL won't buy one!
:bugeyes: :loco: :LOL:
Very funny! Hopefully in another 5 years, maybe? :grin:

Godfrey

Well, there's no new information available about the X1D as yet so I suppose all of these gripes about the advertisement come from people wanting/expecting more information. The camera isn't finished yet, they're still working on the firmware, so to show some experienced photographer using it and articulating all the littlest details isn't going to go anywhere yet. Similarly, whether a bag comes with the purchase or is an optional add-on ... heck, you know it will be over-priced and don't we really have enough bags already?

I'm happy with the technical information that has been articulated through the videos and interviews so far. Any more than that I need the owners manual and the camera in front of me to study. I enjoyed the advertisement from the point of view of seeing the camera in a real person's hands. More than that I wasn't expecting, nor needed.

What was her name again? I can't remember. I do remember that she was showing an X1D and that it looked to be about the same size and shape as my SL fitted with a Summilux-R 50mm lens. :)

G