The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Here is the point that your not realizing is people WANT to pre order this and get in out the first batch. Joe is taking a big risk ( Joe is my example here) by not knowing exactly or at least 95 percent what is on board. I would to love to order this but I can't risk 14grand and many others can't as well without having more facts, so now all of us are going to miss out in septmember and maybe not see one until a second batch next year. That's the problem, at least most manufactures on announcement are at a just tweaking stage of firmware. We know nothing of its AF capabilities at this point and many are not going to order until some facts are straight. We need to know what they are attempting to do, it sounds like more a if we hopefully get this in production we will have blankety blank. Sorry some of us need hard core this will be on it data TODAY not when released. I'm so sick of this elitist thinking oh it will be there when you buy it and you most likely won't need it anyway because it's so good. Sorry that does not fly with a Pro with his neck on the line or a hobbyist with 14 grand at risk. No offense to Laura but I don't give a crap about her artistic endeavors today maybe when it's out sure but today we need technical data and feature sets that we KNOW are on the camera. So with that its a pass for me . If I can't get the data I need to make a smart buying decision than maybe next year or never. The one guy they want buying a Hassy is me and guys that come from Phase and there not going to get us this year if at all. I want that sensor I have 4 other choices. Bad timing for that ad and it is leaving a lot of folks cold as you can read the responses. It's really like selling vaper ware. Hassy your listening I've been doing this for 40 years along side a lot of your cameras. Get a clue your selling to working stiffs that don't buy Gucci bags. You want my business and a lot of Phase, Nikon, leaf , canon and Sony customers to switch. Give us facts today not wish lists . We also need roadmap to, hard deadlines and real files to try out. Be diffrent , be ahead of the game and give me a damn good reason to buy without getting hit in the head with a baseball bat from my wife. I can't give her, well honey it's supposed to be this when I'm not even convinced. Capice. I'm back on break see you all in August

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I'm back on break see you all in August
Sorta like crack ... just have to come back to view the carnage ...

Truth is its a box with a know processor and a bunch of amateurs ... Hasselblad that is ... who have not had to weather the ups and downs of your professional practice ... the X1D is a one-off ... not the pro H6D with a roadmap. So they have not
given you a path to the future of the product. And they have ventured a video of Laura ... even though they seem to have pulled all of her samples from the official site. GO figure.

Really ... run don't walk from this ... time will tell and it may be the new new thing but presently looks like a lot of distracting elements that do not make a whole.

Hopefully a start of a wonderful system ...

Side note ... I recently merged all of my files ... those available in LR ... turns out I have been through 62 cameras in 10 years ...

May have you beat Guy ...

Regards,

Bob

V

Vivek

Oh, man, Guy! You can not take break! :lecture:

There is no vacation for you! There is none! :D

k-hawinkler

Truth is its a box with a know processor and a bunch of amateurs ... Hasselblad that is ... who have not had to weather the ups and downs of your professional practice ... the X1D is a one-off ... not the pro H6D with a roadmap. So they have not
given you a path to the future of the product. And they have ventured a video of Laura ... even though they seem to have pulled all of her samples from the official site. GO figure.

Really ... run don't walk from this ... time will tell and it may be the new new thing but presently looks like a lot of distracting elements that do not make a whole.

Hopefully a start of a wonderful system ...

Side note ... I recently merged all of my files ... those available in LR ... turns out I have been through 62 cameras in 10 years ...

Regards,

Bob
How many do you still have? :grin:

Pradeep

I think it is a good thing that Hassy has had the courage and the vision to launch something like this at a price that is enticing enough to generate a lot of interest and orders.

However, it would be foolish of them to think that others will not follow suit and in the very near future. They do not manufacture the sensor which is really the heart of the camera. How difficult would it be for Pentax/Fuji/Sony to come up with their own versions? Sarcasm aside, there is a real possibility that before the end of this year there will be a similar model from one of these three.

Personally, the price does not bother me, I too can place an order for the X1D today if I wanted to. But I've learnt that patience really pays in this game. No way am I going to pre-order something about which very little is known, especially how it really feels to work with and what the performance in the real world is like. Specs on paper don't mean a thing, as I've learnt from so many impulsive purchases :eek:. It is a completely new product and while the company is well known and highly respected, this is uncharted territory for them (and for anyone else who dares to venture into these waters).

So this time I am going to wait and see......

dwood

Has anyone stumbled upon RAWs that are available for download? I've searched and found nothing. I would guess that this might be because they haven't signed off on the 'golden master' quite yet, but I know that there are folks out there that are playing with the X1D. I'd love to take a peek at some files.

PeterA

I am not convinced I personally need this camera- because I have climbed the learning curve over the years and I do have a long list of existing lenses on existing systems to consider. However there are many who will be tempted by the simplicity of the system and the deployment of current leading edge CMOS chip design in this neat little package. The camera challenges existing users notions of what is really necessary and invitees new users with its design appeal - from that perspective Hasselblad has already done me a huge favour in provoking some serious thought on what to do and re-asses my gear.

I think the main selling point or attribute of this camera is its size and ease of use - relative to traditional MF type cameras. Hasselblad in using a known creative type in Laura Bailey who isn't a photographer is pushing the suggestion to people to say hey - you can use this as a walk around snap shooter and it is high quality it can add value to your creative experience whatever that may be - because it is easy and fun. You don't have to be a boffin to use it. It isn't heavy or complex. You can just point and shoot and - yeah it is a Hasselblad. The design direction is simplicity and easy hand holding. ( btw enough with sexist remarks about her not being able to hold a camera etc)

The difference between this camera and existing alternatives using the same chip -- is that there is no crop factor/weight/chunkiness.

IF however I was NOT heavily invested in a bunch of systems already AND I wanted something that in practical terms is as light as a 35mm System, with autofocus, this camera with a its three lens system pretty much fits the bill as an easy walk around serious option. In many ways it is the MF Leica M or film Mamiya rangefinder style camera - portable light and packs a punch in image quality.

I look forward to reviewers like Ming Thien view on the camera - some expected bias because he is sponsored by Hasselblad to an extent - however the next few weeks should see some more detail emerge on the popover review front.

I suspect given what we already know about the chip / Hasselblad files/ and MTF charts on the 45 and 90 - that it will be very good at what it was designed to do and deliver.

This camera is the first which seriously challenges me to consider getting rid of my Sinar/Leica/Leaf based MF systems and all the lenses that go with these and reduce to one body and three lenses that all fit in a Leica M sized bag. Of course the Alpa gear stays - as well as the Rodenstock and Schneiders and tripods - technical shooting is something different.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
How many do you still have? :grin:
None ...

I am relying on my wife's Canon 7D ... as my Leica S is probably on its way to Solms for a sensor replacement.

Would love to say that I am past all of this ... but show me a great body ... strong sensor ... and decent UI and
I am like a dog on the hunt.

The curve has flattened as more stuff is passed on that would not merit consideration and more and more companies
pare back or sell out.

Nothing in the last 5 years has been a game changer ... all about more pixels ... not about usability or elegance of design.

High point for me was probably the Mamiya 7II ... not one of the 62 ... and my Imacon/Hasselblad scanner. But 4 hours of dusting and
cleaning scans grew a little bit wearing.

Compared to the hobbies of my colleagues I got off easy .... no major losses and still married after 38 years.

So throw a new camera my way and I will have an opinion ... just a bit shy of buying anything just out of the gate.

Bob

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I am not convinced I personally need this camera
Peter,
This is the GetDPI MF forum. Of COURSE you need this camera :facesmack::ROTFL:

The design direction is simplicity and easy hand holding. ( btw enough with sexist remarks about her not being able to hold a camera etc)
Actually my comments about not being able to hold a camera weren't sexist at all. The fact that she is a she is completely irrelevant as far as I was concerned. That's not how to hold a 50mp digital camera handheld and expect good results; it applies as much if it had been some male hipster or a lady fashionista. I have shot with many female photographers and none of them hold their cameras like that - you should always support the lens in your hand like a rifle barrel/grip if you ever want to get decently sharp images.

/rant off

Here's an example (that I happened to have in my gallery) of an equivalent lady photographer holding the camera properly:

PeterA

Peter,
This is the GetDPI MF forum. Of COURSE you need this camera :facesmack::ROTFL:

Actually my comments about not being able to hold a camera weren't sexist at all. The fact that she is a she is completely irrelevant as far as I was concerned. That's not how to hold a 50mp digital camera handheld and expect good results; it applies as much if it had been some male hipster or a lady fashionista. I have shot with many female photographers and none of them hold their cameras like that - you should always support the lens in your hand like a rifle barrel/grip if you ever want to get decently sharp images.

/rant off

Here's an example (that I happened to have in my gallery) of an equivalent lady photographer holding the camera properly:

I agree on technique comments - no worries also I like your subject matter above..here is one which evidence better technique as well -:)

retow

Regards,

Bob
Makes me feel less guilty.....:grin:

Godfrey

I am not convinced I personally need this camera ...
I am absolutely sure I don't need this camera. I have plenty more gear than I really need already. I am very interested in this camera because of my previously stated interest in ultra wide, larger format photographs; a compact MF digital body, without a swinging mirror and with a high quality UW lens, would net me the "SWC digital" camera I have wanted for a decade. Even better that it would be a Hasselblad.

But this thread has wandered off course too often and too far for me, and there's no more information available here than there is anywhere else ... So I'll just unsubscribe from this thread and continue the conversation about the Hasselblad X1D elsewhere.

G

I am waiting for the first real tests , if AF is not good and fast I don't understand what is the target for that camera
but let's see

MomentsForZen

I thought that the ad was meant to reinforce the message of portability that was being pushed for the X1D. That it could be used by someone far removed from being a bodybuilder with big bicep muscles. Casual strolling around town, not appearing to be weighed down.

A different category of users than the "traditional" MF user base. This is what they are looing for - to expand the MF market base and better ensure the viability of Hasselblad into the future.

:) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)