The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

fotografz

Obviously Ming cares … he has already corrected the article in question.

I don't know, but I think had I come across that article, I probably would have e-mailed him about the inaccurate info since he has always seemed a well intentioned, positive and enthusiastic photographer compared to others with paid sites who seem to thrive on finding fault.

Inaccurate info isn't the same as expressing an opinion about "best lenses for the buck" …. at the time of the article, the Zeiss 40IF wouldn't be a lens I'd recommend to someone looking to explore a V system on a budget … which is what I took as Ming's objective. I agree that the 65mm and 100mm are excellent lenses, but are sort of "tweener" focal lengths for someone building off a basic 500CM or 503CW and 80mm kit.

From a shooting perspective (as opposed to a collector's), not many have as much experience with the V cameras and lenses as moi. 40+ years and most every model … including my favorite "Sunshine Vacation Camera", a Canary Yellow V :ROTFL::thumbs:

I like this new Hasselblad. It seems more in tuned with their heritage and positioning intent for the future. Oddly, it reminds me more of the V cameras than the H series did.

I have fewer questions about the camera than I do about the lenses. MTFs aside, how they aesthetically render will carry more weight for me. That'll take some time to discover, and a lot of shots by a lot of different shooters.

- Marc

ErikKaffehr

Hi Marc,

Thanks for responding, I have great respect for your view on the issue.

On the other hand I don't think it hurts to point out some issues. As a respected writer you have responsibility to be correct. I did consider posting Ming Thein, but I decided not to. I am not comfortable telling folks I don't know that they need to correct their writing.

It is great that Ming Thein corrected his writing on the "rear curtain".

To add a little bit of context, quite a few posters over at LuLa expected the X1D to be a device like the Sony A7rII that you can put on a technical camera and combine with lenses at will. The reason it cannot be done is because it lacks a mechanical focal plane shutter.

I would think that Hasselblad designed the X1D to be nice (or even great) mirrorless camera. My assumption is that there are couple of reasons they didn't use a focal plane shutter, the ability of short flash sync is one of them. Another factor is that Hasselblad already has a very well designed leaf shutter.

Hasselblad has some pride in combining electronic opening of the shutter, which is nearly instantaneous, with the central shutter, and they describe it quite clearly here: Mirrorless is 'probably' the future: an interview with Hasselblad Product Manager Ove Bengtson: Digital Photography Review

Best regards
Erik

Obviously Ming cares … he has already corrected the article in question.

I don't know, but I think had I come across that article, I probably would have e-mailed him about the inaccurate info since he has always seemed a well intentioned, positive and enthusiastic photographer compared to others with paid sites who seem to thrive on finding fault.

Inaccurate info isn't the same as expressing an opinion about "best lenses for the buck" …. at the time of the article, the Zeiss 40IF wouldn't be a lens I'd recommend to someone looking to explore a V system on a budget … which is what I took as Ming's objective. I agree that the 65mm and 100mm are excellent lenses, but are sort of "tweener" focal lengths for someone building off a basic 500CM or 503CW and 80mm kit.

From a shooting perspective (as opposed to a collector's), not many have as much experience with the V cameras and lenses as moi. 40+ years and most every model … including my favorite "Sunshine Vacation Camera", a Canary Yellow V :ROTFL::thumbs:

I like this new Hasselblad. It seems more in tuned with their heritage and positioning intent for the future. Oddly, it reminds me more of the V cameras than the H series did.

I have fewer questions about the camera than I do about the lenses. MTFs aside, how they aesthetically render will carry more weight for me. That'll take some time to discover, and a lot of shots by a lot of different shooters.

- Marc

Last edited:

Godfrey

Even the best technical writers make mistakes. It's never a problem to a good writer to be told that something was inaccurate in what they wrote. If they're putting so much ego into what they write that it is, then they aren't a particularly good writer anyway.

As a full-time technical writer myself, I welcome corrections from readers.

I would think that Hasselblad designed the X1D to be nice (or even great) mirrorless camera. ...
I would hope that Hasselblad designed the X1D to be an excellent camera, regardless of what kind of viewfinder system it uses. And, based on what I saw at the demo on Wednesday, they've succeeded, at least with respect to haptics, build quality, feel, and intended feature set.

G

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Hands on today with the X1D - beware, it's a touch / hold it you want one type of camera!! Feels great in the hand and build quality and heft were excellent. One thing I didn't like was the mode dial as it has a tapered top that wasn't easy to grasp however, the rep said that this was going to change in the production version so that the knurled edge would be easy to turn unseen.

The UI was easy to use and I liked the fact that the mode dials displayed in the EVF. Personally I found the EVF intuitive plus you can use the rear LCD. No complaints there.

We discussed the lenses and the forthcoming 30mm. Interestingly the rep was asking what would be preferred next? A super wide or zoom / 150mm or so. My preference was a 150mm but the super wide was a new option.

I was picking up a 43mm for my mamiya 7 so had a chance to compare sizes between 503, X1D and my Mamiya 7. The X1D was surprisingly svelte and about the height of the 503 body/folded waist finder.

Btw, definitely still a work in progress. The firmware didn't have the square/xpan VF overlay plus AF was iffy on one body and the same body rendered a banded image. However, none of this should bother people because they'll be fixed by product release. Definitely beta firmware right now.

images looked great at ISO 3200 shot indoors.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

eleanorbrown

Thanks for posting this photo Graham. My two absolute best/favorite film camera systems years ago were the Hasselblad 503cx and Mamiya 7II. Needless to say the minute I saw the X1D I knew that is the direction I want to go in my photography....immediately brought back good comparisons of these two film systems. Eleanor

Hands on today with the X1D - beware, it's a touch / hold it you want one type of camera!! Feels great in the hand and build quality and heft were excellent. One thing I didn't like was the mode dial as it has a tapered top that wasn't easy to grasp however, the rep said that this was going to change in the production version so that the knurled edge would be easy to turn unseen.

The UI was easy to use and I liked the fact that the mode dials displayed in the EVF. Personally I found the EVF intuitive plus you can use the rear LCD. No complaints there.

We discussed the lenses and the forthcoming 30mm. Interestingly the rep was asking what would be preferred next? A super wide or zoom / 150mm or so. My preference was a 150mm but the super wide was a new option.

I was picking up a 43mm for my mamiya 7 so had a chance to compare sizes between 503, X1D and my Mamiya 7. The X1D was surprisingly svelte and about the height of the 503 body/folded waist finder.

View attachment 119684

kdphotography

Good to know, Graham. That new kit is small enough to fit in your Range Rover glove box---it won't make a dent in your rear cargo capacity. :thumbup: Can't wait to see your new kit at next years Pigs/CI!

ken;)

GrahamWelland

I'm proud of myself. I managed to leave the store without placing a pre-order :ROTFL:

(Tough to justify this AND the upgrade option to the IQ3 100 :facesmack: )

hcubell

Btw, definitely still a work in progress. The firmware didn't have the square/xpan VF overlay plus AF was iffy on one body and the same body rendered a banded image. However, none of this should bother people because they'll be fixed by product release. Definitely beta firmware right now.

images looked great at ISO 3200 shot indoors.

View attachment 119684
Thanks for the report, Graham. My Mamiya 7 and lenses are sitting here in my closet waiting for a home. Too bad I didn't now you were looking for the 43mm. I have a nice mint copy.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Damn. This might derail my Leica S system building plan. They're not identical use case cameras, but there's a lot of overlap. Nevertheless, thanks Graham. :cool:

--Matt

PeterA

Hasselblad has really got me itchy and scratchy now looking at all my accumulated gear and packing it up for sale ...interesting thing for me is that I will probably buy into XID AND MF like 6D or Phase One.

Photokina will be very interesting....Hasselblad has pretty much declared FOR EVF and FOR lightweight as a new market. It will be up to others to chase now. Hopefully there are a few announcements about future product as rumoured for Fuji for example. This means I will be able to get a Hasselblad sooner rather than later. Pretty obvious that CCD market is now in contraction mode .....

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Damn. This might derail my Leica S system building plan. They're not identical use case cameras, but there's a lot of overlap. Nevertheless, thanks Graham. :cool:

--Matt
You know that you want it. As a quant on Wall Street you know that you can ... Subject to spousal approval
(As a fellow Wall St compensated person :eek:)

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Btw if you want the best in used gear I recommend Jim, Tom & Steven at ptophotosupply.com - excellent passionate photographers.

MomentsForZen

Any thoughts on the use of a touch interface ?

I have mixed feelings - convenient for things like moving the focus point, but I find buttons better for accessing functions.

And in cold weather or when ever so slight damp, touch screens can be downright annoying. Gloves can't be used in the cold weather, and many touch screens just don't work if there is moisture on the screen.

:) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)

JeRuFo

--Matt
The beauty of the X1D is that if you scratch two lenses from your S-plan, you can buy an X1D with both lenses.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The beauty of the X1D is that if you scratch two lenses from your S-plan, you can buy an X1D with both lenses.
If I bought the lenses new, sure. So far, an S(006) with protection plan, S 35, and S 70 have totaled $10,000 exactly. Those are both f/2.5 lenses. That's a good deal cheaper than anything in MF with a CMOS sensor and comparable lenses.

So I'm looking for S glass in the $3,000 range, but, as I said, the X1D complicates things.

You know that you want it. As a quant on Wall Street you know that you can ... Subject to spousal approval
(As a fellow Wall St compensated person :eek:)
I'm a *retired* Wall St. person, so the cash flow is all negative, and my wife can sign arrest warrants. :eek: I have to be careful! But seriously, I do believe that frequent system switching is a bad thing. The S(007) - if I ever go there - has most of the advantages (for me) of CMOS mirrorless - live view, magnified view focusing, high ISO/DR, and it accepts Contax and Hassy lenses with full AF. The X1D is smaller, cheaper, has lighter lenses, and a few more pixels. Those are advantages not to be dismissed, and I don't dismiss them.

I LIKE using the S system, though (except for it's weight and lens price). A system I don't like stays on the shelf and is worse than useless. So we'll see. That you like the X1D is more informative to me than any of its specs.

Best,

Matt