The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

JohnBrew

:mad:
If I bought the lenses new, sure. So far, an S(006) with protection plan, S 35, and S 70 have totaled $10,000 exactly. Those are both f/2.5 lenses. That's a good deal cheaper than anything in MF with a CMOS sensor and comparable lenses.

So I'm looking for S glass in the $3,000 range, but, as I said, the X1D complicates things.

I LIKE using the S system, though (except for it's weight and lens price). A system I don't like stays on the shelf and is worse than useless. So we'll see. That you like the X1D is more informative to me than any of its specs.

Best,

Matt
I'm in the same boat as Matt. I like my S system, the X1D ticks a lot of boxes, and I would like to buy one. After shooting the H5D-50c, I can really appreciate what HB has done with the new offering. But the end result would be way too much equipment that didn't get used and life is too short to obsess over this stuff. I'll probably pick one up when they become more available and I don't have to get on a six month waiting list.
I'm still looking for a S 45 lens deal to fill out my Leica kit.

What I really need is for this gawd-awful heat to go away so I can get out and do some shooting. :mad:

algrove

Any thoughts on the use of a touch interface ?

I have mixed feelings - convenient for things like moving the focus point, but I find buttons better for accessing functions.

And in cold weather or when ever so slight damp, touch screens can be downright annoying. Gloves can't be used in the cold weather, and many touch screens just don't work if there is moisture on the screen.

:) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)
Just an observation on the XF+100. I recently was in a snow storm with gloves on and I had left the original screen protector on my DB. It worked flawlessly.

tcdeveau

John, I can't agree with you more. The heat and humidity are brutal. :angry:
+1

This summer has been brutal. I'm down in Atlanta and going outside isn't a whole lot of fun at the moment. I've been sweating just by walking my dog....at 11pm...well after the sun has gone down. We've had a lot of air quality warnings to boot. Fall needs to hurry up haha

Thanks Graham for your thoughts on the hands-on with the camera. Interesting from the Digital Rev video that they said the JPEGs are not the full 50mp. I think that's the first time I've heard that.
-Todd

I need a mirrorless Leica M. Oh wait, then it can't be called an M. Oh well, still want a mirrorless Leica like my Q, but not an SL.
??

I don't like to change , I like my M lenses and I'd like to use them on a future M with an Electronic system or Electronic/Optic, I have never said anything else

The SL will have a 50 Summilux that's not enough actually to be a complete AF system and I am not interested in the 2 zooms, with a few interesting lenses I could change at once

The Q with a 28 mm is not for me

If a mirrorless S comes it will be (again for me) more interesting than the SL

Last edited:

hcubell

Hands on today with the X1D - beware, it's a touch / hold it you want one type of camera!! Feels great in the hand and build quality and heft were excellent. One thing I didn't like was the mode dial as it has a tapered top that wasn't easy to grasp however, the rep said that this was going to change in the production version so that the knurled edge would be easy to turn unseen.

The UI was easy to use and I liked the fact that the mode dials displayed in the EVF. Personally I found the EVF intuitive plus you can use the rear LCD. No complaints there.

We discussed the lenses and the forthcoming 30mm. Interestingly the rep was asking what would be preferred next? A super wide or zoom / 150mm or so. My preference was a 150mm but the super wide was a new option.

View attachment 119684
Graham:

I looked back at the launch of the H1 in 2002. There were 4 HC lenses at the launch. The 35, the 80, the 150 and the 50-110 zoom. The next year, Hasselblad released another 3 lenses. The 35, the 120 Macro and the 210. The X1D is (sort of) launching with 3 lenses, the 30, the 45 and the 90. So, I am hopeful that Hasselblad will release 4 new lenses in 2017: a 24, a 150, a 210 and a zoom with an equivalent range to 24-70 in 35mm terms. Perhaps a relatively fast normal prime like the HC 100 f/2.2.

Did the reps or the shop that sponsored the demo relay any information about delivery times if one were to order now?

Thanks.

koushikr

Went to the Kenmore Camera store today for the X1D demo. I believe Kenmore camera will have production demo models at the end of next month.

Just some quick notes:

1. EVF refresh rate isn't that bad. It does black out sometimes, rep assures that it will be corrected soon.
2. No live peaking to begin with. It is on Hasselblad's to do list. So hopefully via firmware.
3. AF inside the store was alright not too bad. Again this is pre-production, I wasn't impressed with it. Backlit situations AF was hunting. With that being said I was not too disappointed either. AF selection points will come soon. No True Focus or any of the other Hasselblad feature. (Testing AF with 90mm mostly at F3.2).
4. Camera can handle weather elements, definitely not weather sealed.
5. As someone pointed out HB has plans to release other lenses next year but they are working with a lot on their plate. For some reason I got the impression that X1D would be a lesser priority when compared to H5/H6.
6. Someone asked about vertical grip. I did not ask the rep about it but it didn't look like X1D would have a vertical grip.

Solid camera for sure, the Kenmore reps had a Sony A7R next to HB for comparison. Seriously great work by HB. I would still wait until Photokina to decide on my order. HB vs Fuji for me :)

koushikr

Graham:

I looked back at the launch of the H1 in 2002. There were 4 HC lenses at the launch. The 35, the 80, the 150 and the 50-110 zoom. The next year, Hasselblad released another 3 lenses. The 35, the 120 Macro and the 210. The X1D is (sort of) launching with 3 lenses, the 30, the 45 and the 90. So, I am hopeful that Hasselblad will release 4 new lenses in 2017: a 24, a 150, a 210 and a zoom with an equivalent range to 24-70 in 35mm terms. Perhaps a relatively fast normal prime like the HC 100 f/2.2.

Did the reps or the shop that sponsored the demo relay any information about delivery times if one were to order now?

Thanks.
I was enquiring more about landscape photography options and the rep did say they do have wide angle lenses planned next year.

dennishuang

Went to the Kenmore Camera store today for the X1D demo. I believe Kenmore camera will have production demo models at the end of next month.

Just some quick notes:

1. EVF refresh rate isn't that bad. It does black out sometimes, rep assures that it will be corrected soon.
2. No live peaking to begin with. It is on Hasselblad's to do list. So hopefully via firmware.
3. AF inside the store was alright not too bad. Again this is pre-production, I wasn't impressed with it. Backlit situations AF was hunting. With that being said I was not too disappointed either. AF selection points will come soon. No True Focus or any of the other Hasselblad feature. (Testing AF with 90mm mostly at F3.2).
4. Camera can handle weather elements, definitely not weather sealed.
5. As someone pointed out HB has plans to release other lenses next year but they are working with a lot on their plate. For some reason I got the impression that X1D would be a lesser priority when compared to H5/H6.
6. Someone asked about vertical grip. I did not ask the rep about it but it didn't look like X1D would have a vertical grip.

Solid camera for sure, the Kenmore reps had a Sony A7R next to HB for comparison. Seriously great work by HB. I would still wait until Photokina to decide on my order. HB vs Fuji for me :)
Thanks for the notes!

MomentsForZen

koushikr,

What focal lengths would fit your definition/desires as far as landscape applications is concerned? There is a 30mm X lens well down the pipeline towards release.

:) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)

Nick-T

If I happen to be wealthy enough, the 30mm might be enough to motivate pressing the buy button. But for me, a 21-22mm would be perfect.

G
That's about a 16mm in FF35mm terms, are you landscape guys really wanting something that wide???

Chris C

..... a 30mm X lens well down the pipeline........
Could someone help me. I'd like to know what equivalence the X1D 45mm lens [and 30mm too] has in lens focal lengths for the 36 x 24mm sensor format, BUT :

Not calculated by format diagonals, but by matched FOV on the long side of the two formats.

............ Chris

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Could someone help me. I'd like to know what equivalence the X1D 45mm lens [and 30mm too] has in lens focal lengths for the 36 x 24mm sensor format, BUT :

Not calculated by format diagonals, but by matched FOV on the long side of the two formats.

............ Chris
By long edge ratios,

45*36/44 = 37mm equivalent
30*36/44 = 24.5mm equivalent

--Matt

(It's easier on the Leica S, as it has a 3:2 aspect ratio, so any measurement suffices, and 45 -> 36, 30 -> 24, 24 -> 19)