The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

f8orbust

Dang, wasn't quick enough on the draw ...

... what the heck, I'll post this anyway.

According to Barnack:

Hasselblad X1D = 35mm Full Frame = Horizontal Angle of View

30 = 24 = 74
45 = 36 = 52
90 = 71 = 27

Jim

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
That's about a 16mm in FF35mm terms, are you landscape guys really wanting something that wide???
I'm sure folks would LIKE one but I don't think that they've thought through what that means to actually make such a super wide MF lens ...

Personally I'm ok with the 30mm on 44x33m. Kind of equivalent to my 43mm on 6x7. I'm more interested in something like a 30/45/90/150 or 180mm outfit.

For seeing and comparing focal lengths/rendering I use DT's visualizer: https://digitaltransitions.com/support/lens-visualizer-tools/

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Wow, can't we agree on something?

Joe
This *is* getDPI... :argue:

Given that lenses that say "50mm" can be off by up to 5mm, it doesn't really matter. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure folks would LIKE one but I don't think that they've thought through what that means to actually make such a super wide MF lens ...

Personally I'm ok with the 30mm on 44x33m. Kind of equivalent to my 43mm on 6x7. I'm more interested in something like a 30/45/90/150 or 180mm outfit.

For seeing and comparing focal lengths/rendering I use DT's visualizer: https://digitaltransitions.com/support/lens-visualizer-tools/
The Leica S 24 is very unusual for an MF SLR lens. It's about a 19mm FF FoV. I want one! I've never been much of a 35mm FF shooter (45mm here), so my S lens lineup would be 24, 35, 70, and 100 or 120.

--Matt

Last edited:

hcubell

That's about a 16mm in FF35mm terms, are you landscape guys really wanting something that wide???
Not this landscape guy! I would like to see the longer end of the range filled out after the 30mm lens is released. A 150, a 200, and a mid range f/4 zoom (e.g., 30mm-100mm). Then, perhaps a fast(er) 120mm lens for people.

GrahamWelland

I tried both the 45 and the 90 and whilst I wouldn't refer to them as 'silent' they were as quiet as any other zoom lens I possess. They were essentially noiseless as far as the subject is concerned. Only a slight zip noise like any other lens.

Godfrey

Yes, exactly. That's what nets the same field of view, when cropped square, as a Hasselblad SWC (Biogon 38mm f/4.5 T* on 56x56 mm format).
My vision for the Hasselblad X1D is to fit it with a 22mm lens, set it to crop square, and achieve an SWC digital.

It's what I do today with a 15 or 16 mm lens on my Leica SL:

Leica SL + Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH
ISO 1600 @ f/5.6 @ 1/160 @ 16mm

I don't shoot much "landscape" unless you interpret the term rather differently from how most people use it... :toocool:

G

Mikec

I tried both the 45 and the 90 and whilst I wouldn't refer to them as 'silent' they were as quiet as any other zoom lens I possess. They were essentially noiseless as far as the subject is concerned. Only a slight zip noise like any other lens.
S lenses are pretty noisy! If the XCD lenses are quiet, I'd appreciate them even more.

MomentsForZen

On the question of "Which lens to develop next?" ...

Given the announced range of 30-45-90mm lenses, I would be prepared to wait a while for something wider than the 30mm.

Likewise, I would be happy to wait (or skip altogether) a zoom lens that operates across the announced range such as 30-90mm. I would, however, note that Hasselblad CEO, Perry Oostin, was quick and at pains to correct the record that Hasselblad were going to release zoom lenses for the X1D. I (personally/selfishly) like prime lenses, but I am in the minority these days. The general market appears to like to have 2 zoom lenses to cover the normal range - perhaps in this case, a 30-90mm (24-70mm for FF) and 90-250mm (70-200mm in FF). Hence, I would not be surprised if something like a 30-90mm zoom was next on the list.

I would like a 150 mm as the next lens. And then a 250 mm or a decent macro, and I mean a "true" macro (i.e., 1:1 or better).

:) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)

Rolo

Yes, exactly. That's what nets the same field of view, when cropped square, as a Hasselblad SWC (Biogon 38mm f/4.5 T* on 56x56 mm format).
My vision for the Hasselblad X1D is to fit it with a 22mm lens, set it to crop square, and achieve an SWC digital.

It's what I do today with a 15 or 16 mm lens on my Leica SL:

G
Same for me, Godfrey. I prefer 1:1/5:4 print ratios resulting from years of B&W silver printing on standard paper sizes. I'm also a lover of the SWC and my S-24mm gets me most of the way there, but not quite. Consequently, for me, the angle of view of the short side is more important than the long side for urban landscapes and portraits.

Gary

GrahamWelland

I'm all for a super wide but some folks might be sticker shocked by what it takes to produce such a MF lens. The list of affordable 23/24mm medium format digital lenses can be counted on ... Err ... Zero fingers :(

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I'm all for a super wide but some folks might be sticker shocked by what it takes to produce such a MF lens. The list of affordable 23/24mm medium format digital lenses can be counted on ... Err ... Zero fingers :(
Compared to Rodies, both the Hasselblad 24 (I didn't know this lens existed) and the Leica 24 are quite cheap. :loco:

--Matt

Godfrey

http://static.hasselblad.com/2014/11/hcd24-uk-v4.pdf

Ok, question of what "affordable" means ;-)
Indeed. In a thread were people are bandying about comparisons between their Leica S system, P1 system, Alpa system, Hasselblad SLR system against the new X1D system ... ?

A quick glance at Leica S lenses says new prices are in the $4000-$10,000 range. The X1D's currently announced two lenses are $3500-4500. The XF 24mm is $7800. Ultra wide lenses are easier to design and build for shorter mount registers without a mirror in the path, but they're not cheap nonetheless. I would not imagine an X1D 21mm lens to cost much more than the Leica Super-Elmar-S 24mm f/3.5, which at least one person here has already said is one of their favorite lenses.

Seems a bit over the top to be cautionary about affordability when you're talking $9000 and up bodies and $4000 to $12,000 lenses ... !

G

tcdeveau

Indeed. In a thread were people are bandying about comparisons between their Leica S system, P1 system, Alpa system, Hasselblad SLR system against the new X1D system ... ?

A quick glance at Leica S lenses says new prices are in the $4000-$10,000 range. The X1D's currently announced two lenses are $3500-4500. The XF 24mm is $7800. Ultra wide lenses are easier to design and build for shorter mount registers without a mirror in the path, but they're not cheap nonetheless. I would not imagine an X1D 21mm lens to cost much more than the Leica Super-Elmar-S 24mm f/3.5, which at least one person here has already said is one of their favorite lenses.

Seems a bit over the top to be cautionary about affordability when you're talking $9000 and up bodies and $4000 to $12,000 lenses ... !

G
What's an XF 24mm? The only "24"'s I was aware of in MF were the Hasselblad HCD 24mm, Leica S 24mm, the Pentax 25mm, and the Rodenstock 23mm. There's also the not-as wide P1/Mamiya 28mm/28mm LS and Pentax 28-45mm.

B&H currently has the "old" 24mm Hasselblad HCD 24mm (1/800th shutter) for $6k (they had a used one for $4500 for awhile which has been sold), the newer one with 1/2000th sync is a little over $7k. The Leica S is ~$8800 at B&H, as is the Rodenstock (without lens mount). Pentax discontinued the 25mm AFAIK but a couple used copies have popped up lately for ~$4k. (all prices USD).

The currently announced XCD lenses for the X1D are $2295 and $2695, pretty far off from the $3500-4000 range cited above. Affordability is relative and subjective obviously. As ultra-wides tend to be more expensive than their other WA counterparts, I'd expect the price of a <30mm XCD to be somewhere between the current XCD lenses but less than the current 1/800th shutter 24mm HCD, which is currently the cheapest currently-available MF ultra-wide (AFAIK - ignoring the Pentax 28-45mm @ $5k new) - this would make it more expensive than the current offerings while still being affordable compared to it's other ultra-wide counterparts. Perhaps sticker shock for those entering MF but "cheap" for those with IQ3 100mp/rodenstock tech combos or other existing MF setups. I'm hoping that pricing of future XCD lenses stays in line with the current 45mm and 90mm prices, although I expect an ultra-wide and zooms to cost more.

DougDolde

I have used both 24mm and 28mm Schneiders on a tech cam with the IQ140 (same 33x44mm sensor size).

The 28mm is pretty wide, the 24mm is a super wide. I think a 24mm would be the next X1D prime.

24mm compares to 67mm in 4x5 terms
28mm compares to 78mm in 4x5

30mm compares to about 86mm in 4x5 terms

And for the two announced X1D lenses:
45mm compares to 126mm in 4x5 terms
90mm compares to 251mm in 4x5 terms