The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The new Phase One X1D concept? :p
View attachment 119863
That said, it's still as heavy as a brick compared to the Hasselblad. I agree though that they could do it although the sensor plane, assuming that it was in the body, would require new lenses or a front extension ring for existing phase lenses.

Btw, personally I'm ok with my XF having the weight/density of a dumbbell. :)

hcubell

The new Phase One X1D concept? :p

I am pretty sure Phase is working on a mirrorless body. No proof just seems like they'd have to

The X1D could cause a LOT (me included) to jump ship.
I would also assume that Phase One management is spending a considerable amount of time struggling with how to position a Phase One mirrorless camera in its product lineup. They have been very rigid about the pricing of their digital backs as premium products worthy of the highest prices in the industry. That marketing strategy has served them well, or so they apparently believe. Would they be willing to essentially blow up that approach and release a mirrorless Phase One camera for say $12,000 when a Phase XF body and IQ250 goes for $38,000? I don't see it. I also don't see what the market is in the future for 50-60 MP backs for $30,000+ apart from tech cam users, and that's a very niche market. I suppose Phase could develop a "full frame" MF mirrorless with the 100MP sensor in it and charge $40,000+ for it, but a big, heavy, mirrorless version of the XF with the same Phase lenses at $40,000 is not much of a game changer. Phase is also likely to be loath to cannibalize the sale of XF bodies. There are significant R&D costs that went into developing it. Not an issue for Hasselblad, as it developed the H series well over 15 years ago.
This is going to be fascinating to watch. It's all good for photographers, or at least those that are brand agnostic and not fan boys.

DougDolde

True. With the 40-80mm lens on a mirrorless model it would still be very heavy.

So it would seem that Phase would also come out with smaller lenses for a mirrorless model just like Blad is doing and maybe with an adapter for Mamiya/Phase lenses.

View attachment 119898

Satrycon

in this interview he says the X1D lenses are "ready for 100MP" ?

http://photoscala.de/Artikel/Interv...X1D-ist-für-die-Zukunft-von-Hasselblad-sehr-w

Not by itself. By itself, the lens is a 24mm and has no crop factor. The image circle/area of coverage is independent from the crop factor, and the crop factor is dependent on the size of the imaging device (sensor/film) behind the lens. Relative to full frame medium format (~40x54mm), the 24mm HCD (or any other lens) would have a crop factor of about 1.3 on a camera/back/whatever with a 33x44mm sensor and about 1.1 only if used on a camera/with a 37x49mm sensor. There are cameras still out there that use 37x49mm sensors (the H4D/H5D-50 CCD example), but the format is largely ignored now as the shift has been from CCD to CMOS, and medium format CMOS sensors (only made by Sony) are only made in 33x44mp (50mp variety) and 40x54mm (100mp variety) sizes.

On an X1D, the 24mm HCD (which would have to be used in conjunction with the h->x adaptor) would have a 1.3x crop factor relative to full frame medium format.

Some of my statements could be inaccurate so someone can feel free to correct me if so
-Todd

Christopher

Yes, but he also says their are no current plans for a 100MP X camera. It's pretty easy. As long as their is no chip there is no option.

I'm pretty sure we will see new medium format cameras from Hassi and Phase as soon as a new Sony sensor is there.

I expect however, they actually have to sell some 100MP FF first as Sony certainly not gonna bother making a sensor for 1000 cameras only.

algrove

I had a hands on yesterday. One of the 2 cameras on display had a new sticky grip which was quite nice and to me way better than the "first" leatherette grip. It makes it possible for better use as a street carry around camera with the 45 lens attached.

I own a Leica Q and even though the stats for the X1D's EVF are less than the Q, but I did not have a problem with using the EVF and my reaction was that it worked just fine and it seemed large too. I was told that LV and FP will be included on deliveries which could begin in August as they are starting to receive small amounts of sensors from Sony in Sweden.

The shutter on the 90 and 45 were OK, not loud. I liked the AF/MF button. UI easy and huge as most have reported. The battery seems very large and releases like the Leica S. The discussions for future lenses were beyond the 30 which was a given yesterday. Will it be a zoom? That seemed like a logical next move to some.

Latest body had more/better sealing at least around SD card door. I did not remove a lens to examine the lens sealing o-ring.

After having owned a Pentax 645Z and liking it immensely, this is a well done camera. The small size is intriguing. Someone had a Sony 6300 on the table and I was amazed at how the X1D's footprint was not that much larger than the 6300.

As for earlier comments about Phase One's future pricing on a new camera, keep in mind an XF body is currently priced at US$9k along with an 80mm LS lens ($3300 if bought separately) and prism VF ($2500 if bought separately) or $6500 for the body without lens and PVF. It must be noted that the XF needs a DB to perform so that is not the end of expenditures if one buys the XF. So can Phase compete with HB if they were to make mirrorless camera? Sure, but if they price it North of $10k, IMHO it will limit sales.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

It is also about lenses. Present H-series and Phase One lenses are made for a large sensor. A lens optimised for 44x33mm will be shorter in focal length and smaller. It also needs to be sharper as the smaller format requires more magnification.

Hasselblad may have pulled the rabbit out of the hat on this…

Best regards
Erik

I had a hands on yesterday. One of the 2 cameras on display had a new sticky grip which was quite nice and to me way better than the "first" leatherette grip. It makes it possible for better use as a street carry around camera with the 45 lens attached.

I own a Leica Q and even though the stats for the X1D's EVF are less than the Q, but I did not have a problem with using the EVF and my reaction was that it worked just fine and it seemed large too. I was told that LV and FP will be included on deliveries which could begin in August as they are starting to receive small amounts of sensors from Sony in Sweden.

The shutter on the 90 and 45 were OK, not loud. I liked the AF/MF button. UI easy and huge as most have reported. The battery seems very large and releases like the Leica S. The discussions for future lenses were beyond the 30 which was a given yesterday. Will it be a zoom? That seemed like a logical next move to some.

Latest body had more/better sealing at least around SD card door. I did not remove a lens to examine the lens sealing o-ring.

After having owned a Pentax 645Z and liking it immensely, this is a well done camera. The small size is intriguing. Someone had a Sony 6300 on the table and I was amazed at how the X1D's footprint was not that much larger than the 6300.

As for earlier comments about Phase One's future pricing on a new camera, keep in mind an XF body is currently priced at US$9k along with an 80mm LS lens ($3300 if bought separately) and prism VF ($2500 if bought separately) or $6500 for the body without lens and PVF. It must be noted that the XF needs a DB to perform so that is not the end of expenditures if one buys the XF. So can Phase compete with HB if they were to make mirrorless camera? Sure, but if they price it North of $10k, IMHO it will limit sales.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Hasselblad may have pulled the rabbit out of the hat on this…

Best regards
Erik
I think so too. Phase one could compete but I'm sure that they don't want to undermine their existing platform, digital back pricing and customer base by trying to compete on price.

I work in a space where our software is expensive ($m's ) but provides value. We don't drop our prices to compete with lower priced competitors for a few reasons.

First, selling based purely on price is a race to the bottom - nobody wins long term.

Second, you should sell the value of your solution. If it doesn't exist, your future customers will know and not buy.

Third, you need to show innovation and vision. Customers commit to a long term relationship ultimately and for this there needs to be some shared vision to support buying in to your solution or product.

It's as simple as that. I could add more bullets but I think that the vast majority of people will understand.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I think so too. Phase one could compete but I'm sure that they don't want to undermine their existing platform, digital back pricing and customer base by trying to compete on price.

I work in a space where our software is expensive ($m's ) but provides value. We don't drop our prices to compete with lower priced competitors for a few reasons.

First, selling based purely on price is a race to the bottom - nobody wins long term.

Second, you should sell the value of your solution. If it doesn't exist, your future customers will know and not buy.

Third, you need to show innovation and vision. Customers commit to a long term relationship ultimately and for this there needs to be some shared vision to support buying in to your solution or product.

It's as simple as that. I could add more bullets but I think that the vast majority of people will understand.
Graham

I agree to what you say , but that still leaves one question for me . "A slogan is meant to turn people on to like and buy the product " . Right ? ? ?
So what does the HASSELBLAD slogan mean : CREATE TO INSPIRE .

Should it not better read : CREATED TO INSPIRE .

Can you or anyone else please explain ? ? ?

BANKER1

To me, Create To Inspire, is outwardly focused on the photographer. Created To Inspire seems to be inwardly focused on the camera and the company itself and not on the photographer. We are all taught not to brag, and it seems that Hasselblad is following that teaching. Having no idea that is the case, this is just my take on the question presented. And, the subtlety of the message appeals to me and ultimately to Hasselblad products.

Greg

Ed Hurst

You're right, I should've been clearer about format. I was only thinking of the 33x44mm format or the Leica S format. The Hasselblad HCD wides (24mm, 28mm) are not designed for a larger FF sensor like the new 40mm x 53.4mm 100mp sensor anyway, nor is the Pentax 25mm (I could be wrong about the Pentax).

Just on the point about the Pentax 25mm, the answer is it depends! When the 25mm was first launched, it was a DFA lens which indeed does cover full frame 645 (and as a result is compatible with the film Pentax 645 bodies). People experienced some problems with fringing, etc. and the lens was relaunched as a DA lens only covering the crop sensor in the 645D/Z bodies (i.e. 33x44mm). The lens is largely the same, but has a longer built-in hood and may have other minor differences. So if you have one of the original DFA lenses, it does cover FF 645 (with the shortcomings that caused it to be redesigned); if you have the DA flavour (as I do), then it does not cover FF.

I realise this is an off-shoot of the discussion, but just wanted to clarify that point in passing.

Ed

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
It's marketing. I wouldn't read too much into it.

"Look at that camera. Its marketing says 'Focusing on the Essential'. THIS camera says 'Create to Inspire'. I'm definitely going with this one." :eek:

I could as well say "If they said 'the Essentials', that would imply the camera itself, but by saying 'the Essential', they include the whole spirit of photography." (If you've ever been to a Seder and listened to the Talmudic arguments, this will sound familiar.)

The X1D has a LOT going for it, and it's slowed down my shopping in other systems, but I'll wait until I use one before I form any opinion. Everything changes when you use a system.

--Matt

Godfrey

It's marketing. I wouldn't read too much into it.
The X1D has a LOT going for it, and it's slowed down my shopping in other systems, but I'll wait until I use one before I form any opinion. Everything changes when you use a system.
Yup. Although I like both the "Focus on the Essentials" and "Create to Inspire" slogans. :)

G

bab

I'm thinking the first shipment of cameras will be soon enough and there will be lots of information (411) about all the previous discussed issues of the system. From what I have learned so far the firmware updates are much needed to make the camera preform excellent but right now its turning out worthy images without issues. I also remember someone stating that the camera was really easy to get used to shooting after a week with it. I think many people will be surprised with the camera and the first firmware update surprised for the better.
Seems they have change the grip material already that's a sign to me that Hasselblad is striving for perfection and ultimate satisfaction for their customers and that's good to hear!!!