The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

Godfrey

Reading the thread reminds me of all the experts discuss the shuttle re-entry breakup ... 24/7 coverage that amounted to nothing.

Go take some pictures and check back when there is something worth your and my time.

Nuff said ... Looking forward to scallops, a Vouray and another single malt. ...
I'm with you, Bob. Or wish I was ...

But I've got my camera with me and will hopefully find a subject worth shooting today.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Yes I certainly feel so. But right now we have a camera with two lenses and another one promised for Photokina. No final specifications available. Prototypes have a single AF point although more are promised. They are investigating the possibility to provide a cable release.

The first Minolta Dimage 7D I bought, back in 2004 had a large number of AF-points and also focus tracking. These features were always a hallmark for mirrorless systems. Why? Because all mirrorless before 20015 or so used contrast detecting AF (CDAF). CDAF just reads out a part of the image and finds focus yielding the highest micro contrast. It is often combined by face detection. Why, because they can get millions of pixel from the sensor and find faces. So Hasselblad invented "TrueFocus" to correct the distance error that arises with "focus recompose", it is said to work very well. But, mirrorless does not need that technology, it needs multiple AF points.

Hasselblad does not have multiple AF points on the prototypes shown, but they claim it will be available on the final version. I am much surprised they presented a prototype lacking that essential function.

Another point may be that they don't have a cable release. Just to say, a well working remote release over WiFi or BlueTooth may be perfectly OK for me. But many posters feel that a cell phone based solution is not reliable enough.

The three years I had my Hasselblad 555/ELD I used cable release for each single shot, as I don't have any shutter button installed on the 555.

But, I am no buyer for the X1D. What benefits would it yield over my P45+ and my Sony A7rII?

Better DRYes, probably
Better resolutionYes
Can use Tilt&Shift lensesNo
Long telephoto and zoomsYes with an adapter for the H-system that has been promised. Third party lenses not likely, as no FP shutter.
UltrawidesNo
Can use older lenses with tilt (and shift) (*)No
Can use Otus lenses and other speciality glass (*)No

It may be that the touch screen is a very usable tool, I don't know. With the Sony I can put almost all important functions on custom buttons and essentially all buttons can be used as custom bottoms. So, I don't need to to go into any menu system to activate peaking. I just press the"down key" to get to peaking. Why do I use peaking? It is very convenient when finding tilt for Scheimpflug. Ok, X1D is not intended to be used with tilts, right now. Well, you may be able to use it with the HTS. What about ultra wides?

So, as you can see, I ask myself what the tool can do for me. So, very clearly the X1D is no very good match for my needs.

Best regards
Erik

(*) With the A7rII I use a HCam Master TSII for tilt and shift. It has a Can EF front mount, so I can use all Canon EF lenses, with the 16-35/4L zoom offering generous shift in the focal lengths 20-35. Tilts are usable with most lenses. I can use all my Hasselblad CF lenses on the HCam with tilt and shift and that also applies to my Pentax 67 lenses. but I am more interested in tilts, so I bought two Contax zooms as medium range tilt lenses.

The X1D does not allow for that flexibility as it does not have an FP shutter. Now, that is quite natural, although Hasselblad has started off with a FP shutter, in the F1600 model, focal plane shutters were never really a part Hassy DNA.

Oh, please: the X1D is certainly a quite interesting camera and will be used by serious photographers if that is the tool they need, but Perry Oosting made no secret that they also expect to sell it to the "luxury/fashion" market. And that is why it says "Handmade in Sweden".

Last edited:

stephengilbert

The specs show that this "tool" (the camera, not any poster in particular) omits the most important function to many here: it doesn't have a keyboard or other means of composing snarky posts, or even an internet connection.

What do Hasselblad expect; that people will use it to take photographs? That's so boring.

Nick-T

Hi Nick,

I really appreciate all your good postings, but I think you are wasting your energy on commenting on a single statement taken out of context.

Best regards
Erik

You are right, I'm out; when my X1D arrives I'll be sure to not post my thoughts here.

tcdeveau

Hasselblad does not have multiple AF points on the prototypes shown, but they claim it will be available on the final version. I am much surprised they presented a prototype lacking that essential function.
Hi Erik,
I'm not so sure I'd classify multiple AF points as "essential" functions, and it's nothing that they are putting on their official ads that they are using to sell cameras. They are simply an additional feature that make shooting easier. Many of us MF shooters (yourself included) do plenty of shooting without multiple AF points and would most likely get along just fine without them. They weren't even a feature that was announced officially in the keynote with the camera at the time of announcement...if Hasselblad had started shipping the camera immediately after the announcement, the cameras wouldn't include this feature. Just like what is touted with the Phase XF, it's nice that the X1D platform can evolve and features can be added during firmware over time, and I'm surprised that people seem to view firmware updates as fixes rather than adding features.

I'm also not sure why you're surprised they are showing a camera lacking what you call essential features. They're doing a preview tour, with prototypes, to get feedback and tweak firmware/add features (such as multiple AF points) before shipping. Other manufacturers could probably benefit from this. You sound like that is a bad thing? I loved the prototype camera I shot with at the preview, which even lacked multiple AF points. Even if multiple AF points never made it to the final cameras that shipped, it would still be a camera that I'd be more than happy shooting with, but of course I hope to see multiple AF points in the final camera that ships (again hopefully sooner rather than later). The main issue I saw with the prototype I played with was it got surprisingly warm, and I imagine the excess heat over time is what was causing the camera to hiccup. This was an issue they are aware of (the rep was VERY quick to say they're working on it), and one I imagine power management is a top priority to get under control....and something they can monitor by updating the firmware on prototype cameras and see how they perform at the next preview event, before officially releasing the camera to the general public. As this is the first time a chip this big has been packaged into a space so small, I'm happy to give them slack on this.

Aside from Erik's quote above, in general I'm surprised at the turn this thread has taken simply because BH adjusted the ship date on their website (keep in mind to my knowledge a ship date was never announced by Hasselblad) by only two weeks. Of course everyone wants more communication from manufacturers, no delays, and cameras shipping "finished", but every camera manufacturer has hiccups with new cameras and I'm not sure it's time to grab the pitchforks yet. If you want to see real communication/delay issues, go take a look at the Reduser and Blackmagic forums for cinema cameras. It's not uncommon to see at least double-digit month long delays over there. A lot of the negative commentary is as if shipping has been delayed indefinitely and it was officially announced that R&D has ceased on the lens roadmap. Most new cameras these days have issues at launch and the internet cries "the sky is falling". I'm more than happy to be patient and let Hasselblad work out as many issues as they can before it ships. I'm hoping to order mine after Photokina, and since I'm nowhere near at the top of the list, I imagine it could be months before I even receive my camera. I imagine in this time firmware will evolve and the camera will be better by the time it gets in my hands. Plus, did they ever officially announce a release date, a target that they missed?

Again, I loved what I saw at the preview event even without it's finalized feature set. The camera, while not perfect, checks many boxes for me...especially as someone who just spent the last week nursing a herniated disc in my back. The size and weight advantages, in addition to the lack of mirror slap recoil, are pretty eye opening when you have one in your hands. As far as "handmade in sweden"....it's a tool that one can use to take pictures. How they brand/market it I could care less about. That moniker is nothing a little tape couldn't cover up if it really bothers you that much. At least they're not branding things with "bomb" and "weapon" like RED cinema cameras....a fun issue to deal with regarding TSA if you're flying with the camera in the US I imagine. It's a camera they deserve to be proud of and I'm more than happy to be patient for the finished version to make it's way out to the public. I'd recommend reserving judgement until one shoots with a finalized camera and see how the platform evolves.

I think a lot of the negativity is simply pre-Photokina impatience, and since nothing new has been announced for a couple months, people figure lets just beat the dead horse and complain about lack of shutter release (at launch, mind you....same thing happened with the XF) and the semantics of "handmade in sweden". Maybe Fuji can finally announce their rumored MF camera soon so the negativity about features lacking, future features not present in the current iteration, lens roadmaps, price, delays, lack of direct communication about every aspect of the project, and how it's not the camera for them regarding a new and ground-breaking camera can move over to a Fuji thread.
-Todd

jerome_m

But, I am no buyer for the X1D. What benefits would it yield over my P45+ and my Sony A7rII?

Better DRYes, probably
Better resolutionYes
Can use Tilt&Shift lensesNo
Long telephoto and zoomsYes with an adapter for the H-system that has been promised. Third party lenses not likely, as no FP shutter.
UltrawidesNo
Can use older lenses with tilt (and shift) (*)No
Can use Otus lenses and other speciality glass (*)No
Your list of criteria is not the same as mine.

JeRuFo

I'm not sure who is more snarky, the ones criticizing the camera or the ones having a probkem with that.

I think the question if this will be marketed as a lifestyle item is an interesting and valid one. That approach has almost saved Leica in the last decade and could do the same for Hasselblad.
Not buying a camera because it is fashionable is silly ofcourse, but as long as Hasselblad keeps its eye in the ball and listens to what actual photographers want too, I only see a positive in it being popular beyond the photographic community.
In the meantime I see no harm either in making a little fun at the expense of marketing people and silly ad campaigns trying to secure the cameras place in history before people are actually using it.

For me, I was excited when the camera was announced, but don't think it'll quite suit my needs, maybe later when it is a fully developed system, maybe not. I am happy however that camera makers are thinking outside the box and are willing to take the huge gamble to produce cameras like this and it is a good thing it might not be for everybody, we have plenty of cameras that supposedly can do that.

I will try to refrain from adding to this discussion for now. I'm interested in seeing how people respond to the actual camera and might take a look when the full system is ready and at the dealers.

Godfrey

... Sigh, no subjects worth shooting yet. ...
I just thought I'd keep all'y'all up to date on the delay.

G

Godfrey

I dunno man. Feels like you lied to us if you have not shot anything yet :)

Anyway. I am going to a second X1D demo tomorrow!
Oh, I've pressed the shutter button a few times. But I don't think anything I shot was worth shooting yet. :ROTFL:

Enjoy the demo!

G

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
However you look at it, Hasselblad are still definitely promising a traveling photographer's compact, capable imaging machine. I have absolute confidence that it'll live up to the needs of the vast majority of buyers who buy it because of what it IS, vs what it isn't.

ErikKaffehr

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your long response, really appreciate it.

I am not so negative about the X1D. I cannot really afford one, after spending quite a lot on my Hasselblad V/P45+ system and the Sony A7 system. Both buys were significant, quite a bit beyond 15K$US – a camera body alone doesn't take any pictures.

More importantly, the X1D lacks many of the features that are essential for my photography. Lets see it this way I didn't buy into the Sony A7 system before generation II because they lacked EFCS and on sensor PDAF. It was later found out that lack of EFCS was important with the A7r as the focal plane shutter caused vibrations.

I would say that X1D seems to use a feature of CMOS I would call global reset, that gives fast shutter times and the leaf shutter is almost absolutely vibration free.

Getting back to focusing, I would say the multiple AF-points is a major advantage of mirrorless. You perhaps recall "True Focus"? It has been invented by Hasselblad to compensate for the focusing error induced by focus recompose. Consider also that main subject mostly shouldn't be at centre according to most composition rules. If you are shooting macro there is perhaps 1 mm depth of field. Removing the camera from the tripod for "focus recompose" definitively moves the camera more than that.

Yes, I have been using the Hasselblad V without multiple AF-points, actually without AF at all. I am using a 3X monocular on the PM5 viewfinder and have quite a few issues. With my older DSLRs I composed my picture and removed the camera from the tripod for focusing (using the central focus point) remounted the camera and exposed.

Magnified live view solves most of the problems, but does not help with automatic focusing.

The main reason I bought in the A7 system was the potential to use a wide variety of glass for both shifts and tilts. Shifts are needed for architecture and tilts can tilt the focal plane. I am using both features a lot. But, to use a lot of different lenses you need an FP-shutter. I don't blame Hasselblad for not having an FP shutter on the X1D, but it pretty much eliminates it for me. Why I don't blame Hasselblad for not having an FP shutter? Well it is not in the DNA of the Hasselblad system, it would be a significant development cost and add bulk.

Regarding cable release I always use it on the Hasselblad V, I even don't have a shutter release button on that camera. With the Sony I mostly use the self timer, but that causes a shutter delay that is OK for most of my type of shooting but totally unacceptable for action. Sometimes I use an automatic focusing rail, that would be almost impossible to use without a cable release.

So, the X1D is not on my shopping list. On the other hand I am very glad they make it. Why? Because I am pretty sure that the future is belonging to mirrorless cameras. Live view removes the need for the flipping mirror, simply enough. OK, EVFs may not be there and the future may be a few years away.

For some years, there have been a lot of rumours of Hasselblad having financial problems and they have been owned by venture capital companies for a long time. It seems that the new management with Perry Ousten as CEO is putting the company in order again. Things like shutting down the Italian operation, moving production back to Gothenburg increasing R&D staff. Lot of great things that Hasselblad needs to survive.

The X1D is a nice addition to the product plate, as it expands the market and attracts new customers. The camera is quite affordable for being MFD and that also applies to the lenses.

This interview with Ove Bengtsson is quite interesting: https://www.dpreview.com/interviews...-with-hasselblad-product-manager-ove-bengtson.

Just to say, I think it is constructive to discuss both positive and negatives.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Erik,
I'm not so sure I'd classify multiple AF points as "essential" functions, and it's nothing that they are putting on their official ads that they are using to sell cameras. They are simply an additional feature that make shooting easier. Many of us MF shooters (yourself included) do plenty of shooting without multiple AF points and would most likely get along just fine without them. They weren't even a feature that was announced officially in the keynote with the camera at the time of announcement...if Hasselblad had started shipping the camera immediately after the announcement, the cameras wouldn't include this feature. Just like what is touted with the Phase XF, it's nice that the X1D platform can evolve and features can be added during firmware over time, and I'm surprised that people seem to view firmware updates as fixes rather than adding features.

Last edited:

fotografz

Okay, you've convinced me. I need one of these now to go with my yellow Mercedes SLK:

:)

G
Godfrey, I had that camera for a number of years! I called it "Yellow Bird" and took it with me while visiting various exotic Caribbean locations. It brings fond memories and a smile to my face every time I see one. Thanks for posting it.

- Marc

Is there a way to get tilt/shift capabilities with the X1D? I saw that Hasselblad does sell a tilt shift gadget, but not sure if it will work with the X1D. Maybe with the H adapter?

This is all your fault by the way. I was not interested in tilt shift until I came to this forum.

fotografz

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your long response, really appreciate it.

I am not so negative about the X1D. I cannot really afford one, after spending quite a lot on my Hasselblad V/P45+ system and the Sony A7 system. Both buys were significant, quite a bit beyond 15K$US – a camera body alone doesn't take any pictures.

More importantly, the X1D lacks many of the features that are essential for my photography. Lets see it this way I didn't buy into the Sony A7 system before generation II because they lacked EFCS and on sensor PDAF. It was later found out that lack of EFCS was important with the A7r as the focal plane shutter caused vibrations.

I would say that X1D seems to use a feature of CMOS I would call global reset, that gives fast shutter times and the leaf shutter is almost absolutely vibration free.

Getting back to focusing, I would say the multiple AF-points is a major advantage of mirrorless. You perhaps recall "True Focus"? It has been invented by Hasselblad to compensate for the focusing error induced by focus recompose. Consider also that main subject mostly shouldn't be at centre according to most composition rules. If you are shooting macro there is perhaps 1 mm depth of field. Removing the camera from the tripod for "focus recompose" definitively moves the camera more than that.

Yes, I have been using the Hasselblad V without multiple AF-points, actually without AF at all. I am using a 3X monocular on the PM5 viewfinder and have quite a few issues. With my older DSLRs I composed my picture and removed the camera from the tripod for focusing (using the central focus point) remounted the camera and exposed.

Magnified live view solves most of the problems, but does not help with automatic focusing.

The main reason I bought in the A7 system was the potential to use a wide variety of glass for both shifts and tilts. Shifts are needed for architecture and tilts can tilt the focal plane. I am using both features a lot. But, to use a lot of different lenses you need an FP-shutter. I don't blame Hasselblad for not having an FP shutter on the X1D, but it pretty much eliminates it for me. Why I don't blame Hasselblad for not having an FP shutter? Well it is not in the DNA of the Hasselblad system, it would be a significant development cost and add bulk.

Regarding cable release I always use it on the Hasselblad V, I even don't have a shutter release button on that camera. With the Sony I mostly use the self timer, but that causes a shutter delay that is OK for most of my type of shooting but totally unacceptable for action. Sometimes I use an automatic focusing rail, that would be almost impossible to use without a cable release.

So, the X1D is not on my shopping list. On the other hand I am very glad they make it. Why? Because I am pretty sure that the future is belonging to mirrorless cameras. Live view removes the need for the flipping mirror, simply enough. OK, EVFs may not be there and the future may be a few years away.

For some years, there have been a lot of rumours of Hasselblad having financial problems and they have been owned by venture capital companies for a long time. It seems that the new management with Perry Ousten as CEO is putting the company in order again. Things like shutting down the Italian operation, moving production back to Gothenburg increasing R&D staff. Lot of great things that Hasselblad needs to survive.

The X1D is a nice addition to the product plate, as it expands the market and attracts new customers. The camera is quite affordable for being MFD and that also applies to the lenses.

This interview with Ove Bengtsson is quite interesting: https://www.dpreview.com/interviews...-with-hasselblad-product-manager-ove-bengtson.

Just to say, I think it is constructive to discuss both positive and negatives.

Best regards
Erik
Erik, you have been excruciatingly comprehensive in detailing why this camera is not for you. "Not for you" doesn't necessarily translate in to "Negatives" for everyone, and things you see as lacking others may see as "Positives".

For example, many here aren't heavily involved in lighting, where I do 90% of MFD work with strobes. So, while it doesn't get discussed much on GetDpi, for some folks like me, leaf shutter is a PRIME positive feature, and the reason I used Hasselblad V and H over Contax-645 and Mamiya-645 for my MF and MFD work.

The X1D uses leaf shutter lenses that sync to 1/2000, and unlike my Leica S dual shutter camera, this Hasselblad doesn't have to open the FPS and get the mirror out of the way prior to shooting with the LS. Trust my experience, this is a very good thing made possible by the first mirror-less MFD camera. As opposed to the hyper-sync lights slowly making it to market, this camera would work with the extensive lighting investment I already have now.

Another example: the lack of a FPS and the elimination of being able to use an array of optics from various manufacturers like we are able to do with the Sony A7R-II (which I also use).

Even though my A7R-II can take a variety other lenses, I do not use that feature much because I highly value consistency across the optical presence. When shooting a commercial job and changing focal lengths, I want that consistent signature picture-to-picture. While I can mix lenses from different makers with the Leica S using the FPS option, I do not care about that feature. All my S lenses are Leica CS leaf-shutter versions except the S 100/2, and the tuned signature is pretty consistent lens-to-lens. When fully implemented electronic shutters for MF sensors become possible, then I cannot see why it couldn't be implemented on this camera eventually.

While you may feel that your A7R-II meets all your customized interface needs, I feel it is a dog's breakfast of illogical and unintuitive design by non photographic/artistic minds. In the heat of shooting where most grey cells are focused on what I'm shooting, not how, a camera that gets out of the way is a highly valued entity IMO.

No cable release:

Couldn't care less. I haven't used a cable release in years. Don't need it with lighting, don't need it when shooting tethered, don't need it when shooting people in ambient. I understand that landscapers want one, and I'm sure there will be a way. What was mind boggling to me is that Sony inexplicably released the A7R-II without a PC port. That I DO care about.

Automatic Auto Focusing:

Remains to be seen what Hasselblad does regarding this. Having been a long time H user, I can say that they tended to operate with a continuous improvement philosophy by implementing upgrades to existing platforms. Perhaps not as fast as those with hearts beating like a Humming Bird's, but when launched it usually worked as advertised.

This camera is for me ... and I'd love to own one. Being heavily vested in another system, it probably won't be. However, I'd love to off the Sony A7R-II and the lenses I have for it to simplify life with a kit like this.

It is just a matter of perspective.

- Marc

algrove

Godfrey, I had that camera for a number of years! I called it "Yellow Bird" and took it with me while visiting various exotic Caribbean locations. It brings fond memories and a smile to my face every time I see one. Thanks for posting it.

- Marc
Until recently I owned one of the original Ruf light weight "Yellowbirds". Only 6 were made. However, I miss not having a yellow Hassy.

sog1927

If there were a reasonable migration path for people still using the V system, I would have preordered an X1D already. It's still a very interesting concept and I applaud Hasselblad for returning to the company's roots. It's just not for me right now.

Godfrey

I'd really like one of them, just for the fun factor. :clap:

Speaking of fun factor, my head is leaning to the "buy a CFV-50c digital back" tune lately, rather than buying an X1D. I've got the SWC, the 500CM and 50, 80, 120, and 150 lenses, and three A12 backs, three finders, ground glass back for the SWC, etc etc. A digital back would make all that lovely gear MUCH more useful, and more likely to be used.

Sigh.

G