The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

PeterA

It is quite similar to the A7 and a bit less good than the SL (tried a demo model a month ago).
I was hoping size might make up for (relative) lack of resolution....the viewfinder 'experience' is very important for the way I shoot.

Godfrey

Any feedback on the camera's viewfinder gents? How does it compare to the Sony A7 series or better still the SL finder?
When I handled the demo cameras in June, the viewfinder impressed me as on par with the Olympus E-M1 and Sony A7, not quite on par with the Leica SL. The E-M1 and A7 viewfinders are both very good; the Olympus software is better and produces a more transparent, SLR-like feel to the viewfinder. The X1D software was still quite early so it's hard to say for sure which one it's closest to, but I have to say I wasn't put off by it at all. I've been using the E-M1 since 2013 and the SL since Nov 2015, and find that both present themselves very well with respect to the viewfinder.

The Leica SL EVF is currently in a class of its own on resolution and feel.

G

PeterA

When I handled the demo cameras in June, the viewfinder impressed me as on par with the Olympus E-M1 and Sony A7, not quite on par with the Leica SL. The E-M1 and A7 viewfinders are both very good; the Olympus software is better and produces a more transparent, SLR-like feel to the viewfinder. The X1D software was still quite early so it's hard to say for sure which one it's closest to, but I have to say I wasn't put off by it at all. I've been using the E-M1 since 2013 and the SL since Nov 2015, and find that both present themselves very well with respect to the viewfinder.

The Leica SL EVF is currently in a class of its own on resolution and feel.

G
Thanks for your feedback Godfrey. After shooting with the SL for a month - that EVF experience is now my benchmark.

ErikKaffehr

Hi Godfrey,

No reason for that nasty tone…

That was just a what i would say a pretty good demonstration that a modern MF-sensor is capable of resolving far beyond what can be observed on the focusing screen. So you focus on perceived contrast and not actual detail, as plainly, actual detail cannot be seen on ground glass.

I tried to use my 3X monocular on the Sony A7r, which has similar resolution to the X1D, and just saw red, green and blue dots. So a viewfinder magnifier is not much help on an EVF.

If you are going from gear focusing on ground glass to electronic focusing on a low resolution viewfinder image, it may be worth some considerations. Keep in mind that most modern cameras are built for AF, anyway. May be a good thing to consider before spending 15k$US or so (if you also buy lenses).

Just to say, I have been shooting both OVF and EVF for quite a few years.

BTW, have you seen any distance scale on the lens? Perhaps focusing distance and DoF are shown on the EVF.

Best regards
Erik

I spend very very little of my photographic time shooting pictures of resolution test charts.

G

dennishuang

I've never moved the focusing point around on my cameras, AF or MF, when shooting photos of people. At all.

I focus, set the aperture to accommodate the necessary depth of field to get eyes in focus along with nose and near-side ear, then look for the expressions I want, making an exposure each time I think there's an reasonable picture to be had. The notion is to fuss with the camera as little as possible in order to engage with the person/persons being photographed.

G
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your technique. I often times use power pack strobes, manual settings, and ND filters and often like to shoot at sunset. There are many times that I can't see well enough through a viewfinder to manually focus or to adjust aperture to get focus that I have to rely on autofocus. Changing aperture also requires me to change the power on my power pack. I don't use TTL flash metering. I actually don't have that ability when I use my power pack with my camera with my transceiver.

Godfrey

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your technique. I often times use power pack strobes, manual settings, and ND filters and often like to shoot at sunset. There are many times that I can't see well enough through a viewfinder to manually focus or to adjust aperture to get focus that I have to rely on autofocus. Changing aperture also requires me to change the power on my power pack. I don't use TTL flash metering. I actually don't have that ability when I use my power pack with my camera with my transceiver.
Glad to help.

I haven't used TTL metering flash in years. I use a hand-held flash meter with manual flash units. Yes, I change power settings to adjust the amount of light, as needed.

When it's dark enough that I cannot focus on my primary subject by ambient light, I find AF far far less consistent to work with in those circumstances. I use a spot-tight beam flashlight to temporarily illuminate the subject for focusing, set the focus, and carry on.

G

Godfrey

Hi Godfrey,

No reason for that nasty tone…

That was just a what i would say a pretty good demonstration that a modern MF-sensor is capable of resolving far beyond what can be observed on the focusing screen. So you focus on perceived contrast and not actual detail, as plainly, actual detail cannot be seen on ground glass.

I tried to use my 3X monocular on the Sony A7r, which has similar resolution to the X1D, and just saw red, green and blue dots. So a viewfinder magnifier is not much help on an EVF.

If you are going from gear focusing on ground glass to electronic focusing on a low resolution viewfinder image, it may be worth some considerations. Keep in mind that most modern cameras are built for AF, anyway. May be a good thing to consider before spending 15k$US or so (if you also buy lenses).

Just to say, I have been shooting both OVF and EVF for quite a few years.

BTW, have you seen any distance scale on the lens? Perhaps focusing distance and DoF are shown on the EVF.

Best regards
Erik
Sorry you think the 'tone' was nasty. It's simply the truth. Absolute critical focus for maximum resolution is important in some circumstances, for some kinds of subjects, but is irrelevant the majority of the time. I haven't shot a resolution test chart in the past decade at least.

I have been using EVF equipped cameras (far far lower resolution EVFs at the beginning...) since 2002, and have been doing photography since 1968. Obviously I've got lots of experience with optical viewfinders and manual focusing of all kinds from that history. I really don't care what modern cameras "are built for"—that's irrelevant. I buy cameras that work the way I want them to work, and one of those criteria is that I can manually focus them accurately. I get the most consistently accurate focusing with manual focus, and, with normal to tele lenses, have rarely needed to use focus assist magnification or other focusing aids with modern EVFs. Such aids can speed up approximate focus, or help pinpoint critical focus when that's necessary, but it's usually not.

In focus is in focus, regardless of how you get there.

I didn't see any distance scale on the X1D lenses, and I'm sure I missed some of the in-viewfinder or on-LCD information displays; I don't recall seeing a distance readout, but I suspect there is one somewhere. (The Leica SL has an excellent distance/DOF readout for manual focus with native lenses; I imagine the Hasselblad X1D will have something similar.)

Picking apart a camera based on a specification sheet is, to me, a waste of time. I go handle the cameras I'm interested in, see if I can see well enough to focus accurately, see whether the controls make sense to my hands and head, ascertain that the features I want are easily accessible, etc. That's how I judge whether I'm going to buy a camera. Based on what I saw with the early demo cameras, I'd buy an X1D without too many reservations (presuming the lens I want is available). But I already have the SL, and I think my money is better spent on the digital back for the V system at the moment. I might yet change my mind again... :)

G

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
BH Photo just moved the ship date to end of September if available .... not sure if they got a few or if they are still waiting. :banghead:

Bob

CSP

The only observation that alarms me is how warm/hot the camera gets after being on for awhile. Many of the "missing features" can be fixed with firmware, but dissipating heat is a toughie.

Joe
i did a shooting over the weekend with a camera which name is not allowed to say here anymore because it offends those "sensitive artists" in a very hot environment. the camera was on 7 hours without a break and zero problems and it happened that i thought how would the x1d perform in the same situation. it took xxxx some work to get the heat issues solved. beside af function and performance this is definitely a serious question.

I had guessed (earlier in this thread) that they wouldn’t be able to deliver until after Photokina. Their reps are still doing demos with pre-production cameras, and the so-called Hasselblad “ambassadors” haven’t started generating reviews with production bodies. I just hope Hass gets it right. The only observation that alarms me is how warm/hot the camera gets after being on for awhile. Many of the "missing features" can be fixed with firmware, but dissipating heat is a toughie.

Joe
I'd expect this to also be a firmware related. Make the firmware more efficient and it will consume less CPU and it will produce less heat. Up to a point of course.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Power consumption and heat up are obvious issues with the EVF concept.

Some things can probably done in firmware.

But consider this. On an SLR type device, viewing doesn't power. You can remove the battery and you still have viewfiender view.

With EVF, there is a need to supply continuous data to the EVF and the processing effort consumes batteries and produces heat.

Best regards
Erik

I had guessed (earlier in this thread) that they wouldn’t be able to deliver until after Photokina. Their reps are still doing demos with pre-production cameras, and the so-called Hasselblad “ambassadors” haven’t started generating reviews with production bodies. I just hope Hass gets it right. The only observation that alarms me is how warm/hot the camera gets after being on for awhile. Many of the "missing features" can be fixed with firmware, but dissipating heat is a toughie.

Joe

Godfrey

...I just hope Hass gets it right. The only observation that alarms me is how warm/hot the camera gets after being on for awhile. Many of the "missing features" can be fixed with firmware, but dissipating heat is a toughie.

Joe
One thing to remember is that however warm a camera might feel to the touch is generally not a good indicator of whether it is running hot or is within its design spec.

I've had several cameras that feel very warm to the touch when used for an extended shooting session but are evidently running well within design spec because they have never given a moment of trouble in use.

G

ddanois

Joe,

I'm with you in waiting for Hasselblad to get it right with the X1D. Just wish there were some additional images being put out so we could get a better sense of how it might perform in different shooting scenarios. Speaks the loudest about the software not being near final.

Oh, well...piggy bank is ready and waiting. :)

Derek

Paratom

Hi there,
I have used the S System for many years now but the x1d is the first product which gives me thoughts to eventually switch in the future (of course after demo and shooting a x1d myself).
The smaller formfactor makes it very interesting.
The viewfinder would be a very important factor for me, if it is up to a medium format OVF. I doubt it. I have to see myself.
I will wait and see.