The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

algrove

Sure would be nice if other manufacturers would implement a sensor heat indicator like the XF+100 has a a standard feature. Incremental costs cannot be great, but whatever the cost it sure would make for better user information and the ability to react to that information.

Jager

Sure would be nice if other manufacturers would implement a sensor heat indicator like the XF+100 has a a standard feature. Incremental costs cannot be great, but whatever the cost it sure would make for better user information and the ability to react to that information.
I'd far rather have a sensor whose thermal boundaries are controlled such that they don't affect camera operation or image quality when that camera is used as designed. Frankly, wondering about my sensor's temperature is something I'd prefer not to do!

That the XF-100 includes such a readout is interesting. It suggests there are conditions or shooting scenarios that might prompt higher-than-desired temps. That said, having such a bleeding-edge sensor run hot doesn't surprise me a bit. The cost, I suppose, of those breathtaking images!

Steve Hendrix

I'd far rather have a sensor whose thermal boundaries are controlled such that they don't affect camera operation or image quality when that camera is used as designed. Frankly, wondering about my sensor's temperature is something I'd prefer not to do!

That the XF-100 includes such a readout is interesting. It suggests there are conditions or shooting scenarios that might prompt higher-than-desired temps. That said, having such a bleeding-edge sensor run hot doesn't surprise me a bit. The cost, I suppose, of those breathtaking images!

Indeed I consider it a positive. There is no such thing (practically) as noise free images, certainly not with larger, cutting edge sensors. Having an on board temperature readout is extremely helpful, especially in conditions that will result in more noise, example, continuous long exposure captures in warmer ambient temperatures. Being able to note the state of the internal temperature might result in the user waiting 3 minutes for the temperature to subside and then gaining a stop or 2 less noise.

Per MR. Goldberg, that is also correct, a warm camera can simply mean the internal heat sink is doing its job. Obviously there's a point where hotter than it should be needs to be heeded.

Steve Hendrix/CI

algrove

If you are using LV with any sensor the temp will begin to climb and that creates unwanted noise. Every camera's sensor will rise in temp as it is used. Any camera. That does not mean there is a problem. That is a fact and I was just saying that I would rather know the temp in crucial shoots versus not knowing until later when back at the home computer and find out then. The 100MP does not run hot at all, but when I have hicked for 2 hours to a crucial shoot in 100+ degrees I like to know when my sensor's temp gets on the high side so I can rest it for a bit in order to be ready for THE shot I am waiting for in order to capture it with as low a noise as possible especially while shooting at ISO 50 which I use for the theortecially best quality image possible.

Your shooting situations might not be a critical as I consider mine and as a result I DO want to know when that sensor's temp is rising. As a result I find that sensor temp tool useful in many situations out in the field. I don't need or use it all the time, but when I want to know the sensor's temperature it is available to me. The graph associated with the temp tool shows the temp over a period of time which indicates in real time what is happening as regards the sensor's temp.

As someone pointed out the 50MP sensor in the X1D is the same used in the 645Z which I also used. However, the Z has a larger internal area allowing for heat dissipation when compared to the thin and tightly packed body of the X1D. In addition the X1D will have LV always on for its mirrorless needs whereas the Z has an OVF with LV being optional.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Erik, I full understand the technology, having been trained as an electrical engineer and actively involved in new product development in the telecom industry for 30 years. No need for the tutorial. Despite the heat issue, my aging eyes need an EVF, Live View, focusing aids (e.g., peaking) to accurately focus [manually]. I'll never go back to a DSLR and OVF. Case closed.

I can wait for Hasselblad to get it right. Another two weeks (or month or more) aren't going to dissuade me.

Joe
If it takes six months to sort everything out it'll still be worth it IMHO.

I had some feedback secondhand from one of the early adopter shooters and consensus was that the camera was slow for handheld use (EVF) and also obviously has limited fast lenses so if your goal is handheld portrait / travel work be warned. For us landscape folks this won't matter at all because we own and use tripods! ... :thumbup:

Last edited:
Perhaps, but I'd not buy a Fuji. My experience with their digital cameras was not particularly thrilling; I have more confidence in Hasselblad now that we're past the Lunar era. ;-)

G
I own 3 Fuji cameras and I have never had any other cameras. Part of the appeal of the Hasselblad is that it is not a Fuji. If that makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Just received this from the regional Hasselblad rep:

First batch of the X1D-50c will be demo units for reps, dealers and "ambassadors".
I hope you are right. Really want to see some reviews and get my hands on a actual production demo unit.

tcdeveau

I own 3 Fuji cameras and I have never had any other cameras. Part of the appeal of the Hasselblad is that it is not a Fuji. If that makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope you are right. Really want to see some reviews and get my hands on a actual production demo unit.
I got the same email, Joe and I are both in the Southeast US and share the same rep I think. Hasselblads social media also posted today that the first batch of cameras left the factory....shouldn't be long now

iiiNelson

Just received this from the regional Hasselblad rep:

First batch of the X1D-50c will be demo units for reps, dealers and "ambassadors".

Speaking of sexy, this is definitely cool:

I received the same email but I believe the closest dealer from the RDU area is in DC, Charlotte, or Atlanta.

rickgrainger

Well, after anxiously waiting for and finally watching Fuji's announcement,
then gathering all of the info about their entry into medium format,
Hasselblad's leaf shutter lenses still make it the most useful and desirable
option for me. I was frankly shocked and disappointed that Fuji chose to forgo
leaf shutter options in the lens line up.
Looking forward to other XCD lenses to round
out the line up.

MomentsForZen

* The first production models of the X1D-50c are scheduled to be going to dealers, representatives and artisans. Surely, paying customers should come first in a proper service-oriented and high-end business?

* It is amusing that a 4116 edition X1D-50c is announced ... when the plain, original model would be a "special edition" at this point in time. A special edition when we don't even have the normal edition?

* The concept camera shows the body as a combined digital back and mirror module. Is this unnecessarily restrictive in the design (i.e., not allowing for upgrades in the digital back)? Does it say anywhere in the announcement that it will have an "X" lens mount on it?

:) MomentsForZen (Richard)

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Does it say anywhere in the announcement that it will have an "X" lens mount on it?

:) MomentsForZen (Richard)
X 45 is pictured on the camera ... and it is rumored that the sensor is the 100MP ... image circle of the X lenses gives you a crop 75 square.

Bob

D&A

rickgrainger wrote--->>> "I was frankly shocked and disappointed that Fuji chose to forgo
leaf shutter options in the lens line up."<<<

I wonder if thats a future option for them if they feel the need (substatial requests) and market for them arises?

Dave (D&A)