The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

CSP

Just a small update. I now have seen it twice at a demo and yesterday at photokina. Certainly a lot of good steps forward. My problem is the evf. It's a current deal breaker.
the form factor is not the most important feature which will decide if the x1d will be a success or not but evf / af performance and handling will. maybe hasselblad was ill advised to show this camera so early because they entered this field without any experience in opposite to fuji. now it looks more like an unfinished me too product. they sure will improve performance with time but that is not what many but especially pros expect in 2016. but who knows and this is on purpose so that the x1d does not get to attractive over their more expansive offerings, in any case this is a great mistake imho the same as not to make it useable for v users. they missed a great opportunity and now the have a competitor which will be compatible with the hc and v line lenses and metabones and others are sure pleased to make a resurrection call to all those retired mamiya, contax, lenses... i also would not be surprised when zeiss decides to offer mf lenses for fuji mount in the coming years too.

tjv

You're on a different planet from me. When you buy the Fuji, let us know how it works out for your needs. You've been very vocal in a negative sense about every, single aspect of this camera, from early announcement and slightly delayed delivery, to lack of FPS and whatever else. Maybe it's time to celebrate what else has been announed that might suit you instead?

If AF performance and speed is acceptable, I personally see the X1D as a more viable replacement to my Mamiya 7 than the Fuji. The Fuji is too big for what I want, and I've never liked their other APS-C cameras in the past (which doesn't nesessarily mean I wouldn't like the GFX.) I couldn't care less about adapting lenses or putting it on a view camera; I have my Credo for that. I don't generally like EVF in any current flavour, but could live with one as good as the Sony A7R (both resolution AND refresh rate.) If the X1D doesn't meet that, then it's not my cup of coffee. All things taken as they're presented so far though, I think I'll probably get one at some point. Just get the 30mm and 45mm lenses and call it a day. Would also like a 65mm though!

the form factor is not the most important feature which will decide if the x1d will be a success or not but evf / af performance and handling will. maybe hasselblad was ill advised to show this camera so early because they entered this field without any experience in opposite to fuji. now it looks more like an unfinished me too product. they sure will improve performance with time but that is not what many but especially pros expect in 2016. but who knows and this is on purpose so that the x1d does not get to attractive over their more expansive offerings, in any case this is a great mistake imho the same as not to make it useable for v users. they missed a great opportunity and now the have a competitor which will be compatible with the hc and v line lenses and metabones and others are sure pleased to make a resurrection call to all those retired mamiya, contax, lenses... i also would not be surprised when zeiss decides to offer mf lenses for fuji mount in the coming years too.

I have tried it on 'Kina' on Tuesday too and actually enjoyed the EVF pretty much. Off course, nothing beats an OVF as in the current and former H lines, but I found the accuracy and speed of AF quite ok. I have used on the past couple of years Fuji's X-100 EVF-OVF and believe the one from X1D is much better than the one from X-100. Although i cannot compare it to the Leica.

In live view with the touch LCD it is quite nice to quickly double tap on the spot where one wish to have the focus and the activating the AF. Changing the AF point with current production models is not yet effective but was promised to be updated by new firmware release.

Auto ISO is there but did not really work very well. It seemed to me some missing user entering possibility (similar to Nikon's approach to limit e.g. slowest shutter speed whereafter the ISO is increased automatically).

The new 30 mm lens is nice and quite small, but I guess the HC 28 with the adapter (which was on display) will do the job also quite nice. It was confirmed full exposure metering and AF functions with newer HC/HCD lenses. No tripod mount on the adapter yet, next version will come with (I am just thinking now that I will eventually try to mount myself an Arca plate on this adapter by just screwing and threading a 1/4 inch hole...)

Back button AF with manual focus setting on the shutter release works well, which is important to my habits of shooting.

AND it comes also with the yellow-golden shutter release button.... http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.png

I am definitely holding on to my early order and waiting for delivery within the next 2 weeks as it was promised.

Greenaa

I tried the X1D at Photokina this morning, some thoughts:

- the hardware - camera body and lenses - are beautifully designed and beautifully executed. Real quality.

- the firmware is woefully inadequate at this stage, i had several conversations with the X1D design team and they know what needs to be improved and are working at it, this will be key. While EVF blackout is much improved, there is still nothing AF-wise besides center point autofocus, no division of labor between the EVF and LCD (can't set LCD for menu or playback only) and overall it still seems very much like beta firmware. I don't doubt the image quality is there, but usability is definitely not.

While I generally hate EVFs (I am a Leica M user), the EVF doesn't bother me so much, it's really the only way to get a medium format that you can carry easily and shoot with one hand.

I understand that demo cameras will be shipping for the next 2-3 weeks with pre-orders beginning to be filled around mid-October. This gives them a bit of time for
More firmware upgrades, but for the moment it's a leap of faith to buy with that firmware.

That being said, Hasselblad should be commended for an incredibly compact, quality feel mirrorless medium format, clearly the best designed piece of hardware at the show. Compared to the Hasselblad, the Fuji looks like a Franken-camera.

Best Regards,

ACG

I have tried it on 'Kina' on Tuesday too and actually enjoyed the EVF pretty much. Off course, nothing beats an OVF as in the current and former H lines, but I found the accuracy and speed of AF quite ok. I have used on the past couple of years Fuji's X-100 EVF-OVF and believe the one from X1D is much better than the one from X-100. Although i cannot compare it to the Leica.

In live view with the touch LCD it is quite nice to quickly double tap on the spot where one wish to have the focus and the activating the AF. Changing the AF point with current production models is not yet effective but was promised to be updated by new firmware release.

Auto ISO is there but did not really work very well. It seemed to me some missing user entering possibility (similar to Nikon's approach to limit e.g. slowest shutter speed whereafter the ISO is increased automatically).

The new 30 mm lens is nice and quite small, but I guess the HC 28 with the adapter (which was on display) will do the job also quite nice. It was confirmed full exposure metering and AF functions with newer HC/HCD lenses. No tripod mount on the adapter yet, next version will come with (I am just thinking now that I will eventually try to mount myself an Arca plate on this adapter by just screwing and threading a 1/4 inch hole...)

Back button AF with manual focus setting on the shutter release works well, which is important to my habits of shooting.

AND it comes also with the yellow-golden shutter release button.... http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.png

I am definitely holding on to my early order and waiting for delivery within the next 2 weeks as it was promised.

tjv

Thanks both for your reports. Seems like good and bad news at this stage, at least with regards to the firmware.

Any news on focus peaking or other focus aids? Wired remote?

Thanks!

tcdeveau

To those who tried it at 'kina...how was the temperature/heat of the camera in operation? The one I played with at the preview event got noticeably very warm, which is a possible cause for concern. The rep was very quick to point out that this was something they were working on as I wasn't the only one there that commented on it.

I also wish they'd announce pricing/availability of the 30mm. I don't know whether to hold on to my 28mm HCD and use it with an adapter or go ahead and sell it for the 30mm. The 28mm would work just fine with the adapter I'm assuming, but the 30mm XCD is a little faster (could be beneficial for astrophotography) and obviously more compact. The 77mm filter thread of the 30mm I'd also prefer to the 95mm thread of the 28mm as I could use 100mm ND filters more comfortably (compared to the 165mm filters I'm currently using on the 28mm and 35-90mm). It's also a shame the first version of the XH adapter will lack a tripod mount. Idk whether to go ahead and order one or hold out for V2, although I imagine for the short term I'll go ahead and order one (and figure out a lens support solution with a rail on the tripod) so I can use my 28mm and 35-90mm with the X1D.

med

Hopefully they can tweak the firmware to improve the heat situation. I was at MPEX a number of weeks ago and there was a Hasselblad rep there with a pre-production X1D. I love the size and feel of the camera but I wasn't able to do much shooting with it since it was crashing/shutting down due to overheatin. The weather was fairly warm... over 30 degrees (80ish in fahrenheit-speak I think) and quite humid, which most likely contributed to the situation. As warm as it was, I would still expect a camera to work in those conditions.

Greenaa

One thing I forgot to mention - this morning I was told by the Hasselblad rep working the booth that they would release five new XCD lenses - comprised of both primes and zooms - in 2017.

They seem to consider this lens mount their (mirrorless) future.

Best Regards,

ACG

I tried the X1D at Photokina this morning, some thoughts:

- the hardware - camera body and lenses - are beautifully designed and beautifully executed. Real quality.

- the firmware is woefully inadequate at this stage, i had several conversations with the X1D design team and they know what needs to be improved and are working at it, this will be key. While EVF blackout is much improved, there is still nothing AF-wise besides center point autofocus, no division of labor between the EVF and LCD (can't set LCD for menu or playback only) and overall it still seems very much like beta firmware. I don't doubt the image quality is there, but usability is definitely not.

While I generally hate EVFs (I am a Leica M user), the EVF doesn't bother me so much, it's really the only way to get a medium format that you can carry easily and shoot with one hand.

I understand that demo cameras will be shipping for the next 2-3 weeks with pre-orders beginning to be filled around mid-October. This gives them a bit of time for
More firmware upgrades, but for the moment it's a leap of faith to buy with that firmware.

That being said, Hasselblad should be commended for an incredibly compact, quality feel mirrorless medium format, clearly the best designed piece of hardware at the show. Compared to the Hasselblad, the Fuji looks like a Franken-camera.

Best Regards,

ACG

sog1927

in any case this is a great mistake imho the same as not to make it useable for v users. they missed a great opportunity and now the have a competitor which will be compatible with the hc and v line lenses and metabones and others are sure pleased to make a resurrection call to all those retired mamiya, contax, lenses... i also would not be surprised when zeiss decides to offer mf lenses for fuji mount in the coming years too.
If there had been a migration path from the V series (even adapter stacking), I would have ordered one already.

tjv

Some reports state that the Fuji EVF is 60fps at approx 4mpx resolution, which is impressive. I understand that the X1D is approx 2.6mpx at 30fps, is this correct?

Resolution is important, but fluid movement is perhaps more important to me. Looking forward to hearing more user reports as each camera starts to ship, etc.

med

If there had been a migration path from the V series (even adapter stacking), I would have ordered one already.
The Hasselblad rep that I spoke with thinks that although it isn't "officially supported" yet, he saw no reason why the CF adaptor for the H system wouldn't work on the H adaptor for the X1D.

fotophil

Stacking the two adapters together around $2K) would be a nice alternative but I recall that Hassy folks initially said it would not work not work. Another question for the experts!

Quick question for those of you have handled the X1D. The specs shows a shutter speed range from 60 minutes to 1/2000s. Does this mean that the bulb limit is 60 minutes and T mode is 30s and shorter like most cameras? Or is the timed shutter speed adjustable up to 60 minutes? I do a bunch of long exposure work and would love to have built in timed long exposures. Thanks, Bill