The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

Paratom

I am curious, Tim, about the source of your information about the X1D being "weatherproof." I am very focused on that issue as I just returned from a 10 day photo workshop in Iceland and my medium format camera/back (Hasselblad H2/IQ 180) failed yet again. The screen on the Phase back went on the blink first, and then the H2 stopped working altogether after 3 days. As usual, the weather conditions in Iceland were not warm, sunny and dry with low winds. There was rain and wind, but I did my best to shield the camera from the rain. There were 7 other photographers shooting with me using Nikon equipment and Hasselblad V systems. They did little if anything to shield their cameras from the rain, yet their cameras just kept on working. This is not the first time that I have run into these reliability issues with a range of medium format digital gear, and ALWAYS in remote locations. Hasselblad H3D-39, H2s, Phase P65+ and Phase IQ 180. Completely unacceptable. I don't work in a studio.
When I handled the X1 at Photokina I asked if there was any weather protection. The guy told me there was not.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I am curious, Tim, about the source of your information about the X1D being "weatherproof." I am very focused on that issue as I just returned from a 10 day photo workshop in Iceland and my medium format camera/back (Hasselblad H2/IQ 180) failed yet again. The screen on the Phase back went on the blink first, and then the H2 stopped working altogether after 3 days. As usual, the weather conditions in Iceland were not warm, sunny and dry with low winds. There was rain and wind, but I did my best to shield the camera from the rain. There were 7 other photographers shooting with me using Nikon equipment and Hasselblad V systems. They did little if anything to shield their cameras from the rain, yet their cameras just kept on working. This is not the first time that I have run into these reliability issues with a range of medium format digital gear, and ALWAYS in remote locations. Hasselblad H3D-39, H2s, Phase P65+ and Phase IQ 180. Completely unacceptable. I don't work in a studio.
I read in Ming's 'Early Shooting Impressions piece that "A note on weather sealing: every port is tightly gasketed, and the lenses require some effort to mount/unmount because the gasket fits so tightly against the mount. I would be far more confident in inclement weather with this than the H (too many components, no seals other than tightness of fit between them)"

hcubell

I read in Ming's 'Early Shooting Impressions piece that "A note on weather sealing: every port is tightly gasketed, and the lenses require some effort to mount/unmount because the gasket fits so tightly against the mount. I would be far more confident in inclement weather with this than the H (too many components, no seals other than tightness of fit between them)"
Thanks. That sounds promising. After my earlier post, I did find a reference in the Hasselblad press release to the X1D camera body being dust and weather resistant. In theory, it should be more weather resistant than the Fuji GFX as the latter has a removable EVF and many dials and buttons.

algrove

I do not think many dials and buttons necessarily make a camera less weather capable.

I recall recently shooting in a driving rain storm with the rain coming in sideways and I was using the 645Z. One camera failed and all others were desperately attempting to cover their gear instead of shooting. I did not really cover the 645Z since I knew it was sealed in like 75 places on the body and 10 or 12 places on the lens in addition to a huge o-ring seal around the lens mount. No problems with it and I got the shot.

When I handled the H1D and looked at the lenses I do not recall an o-ring seal around either of the two lenses available at the time. Perhaps they have upgraded the package.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

It seems that Pentax cameras have weather proofing quite a bit above what is normal.

Lensrentals handles and repairs tens of thousands of cameras and lenses each year and they are not that impressed by weather proofing in general, but clearly some are better than others.

Best regards
Erik

I do not think many dials and buttons necessarily make a camera less weather capable.

I recall recently shooting in a driving rain storm with the rain coming in sideways and I was using the 645Z. One camera failed and all others were desperately attempting to cover their gear instead of shooting. I did not really cover the 645Z since I knew it was sealed in like 75 places on the body and 10 or 12 places on the lens in addition to a huge o-ring seal around the lens mount. No problems with it and I got the shot.

When I handled the H1D and looked at the lenses I do not recall an o-ring seal around either of the two lenses available at the time. Perhaps they have upgraded the package.

Paratom

Pretty much every article on the X1D mentions it is weather sealed, even the web shops mentions this. Cannot actually find it on the Hasselblad website though.
You never know, it was just one person at the Hasselblad booth I spoke to, so maybe he was not well informed. By the way I really liked how compact the camera is and how it feels in hand. (A little like Mamiya 6 IMO). Its hard to judge the EVF from looking though it in artificial light of Photokina trade show. If I wasnt commited to the S-system allready I would definatly check the X1 out.

Last edited:

Paul2660

Thanks. That sounds promising. After my earlier post, I did find a reference in the Hasselblad press release to the X1D camera body being dust and weather resistant. In theory, it should be more weather resistant than the Fuji GFX as the latter has a removable EVF and many dials and buttons.
If I was going to bet on a weather resistant design, I would go with Fuji as they have been building such for years in their current APS C cameras and lenses. This will be Hasselblads first weather resistant system that I am aware of.

Paul C

hcubell

If I was going to bet on a weather resistant design, I would go with Fuji as they have been building such for years in their current APS C cameras and lenses. This will be Hasselblads first weather resistant system that I am aware of.

Paul C
I agree. Fuji also refers to the GFX lenses as being weather resistant, and Hasselblad does not explicitly refer to the lenses as well as the body. On the other hand, I very much prefer the form factor of the X1D. For me, if all other things are basically equal, I would go with the smaller and lighter system. That is paramount for my needs. My days of schlepping around 30 pounds of gear on a hike are over.

I think both the Fuji GFX and the X1D will have excellent lenses and be very capable systems. Comparing them is inevitable, but they really are two great choices. If I were on the board of directors of Phase One, I would be asking management why they were asleep at the switch. I suspect that their dealers are wondering the same thing.

Paul2660

Not doubting, just saying it's a first and it will be most interesting to see. I am still waiting to see what the heat situation will be as plenty of reports from Kina mentioned the body getting warm, and warm means noise.

But no matter what Hasselblad states, this is my definition for water sealing, Pentax has understood this for a long time.

Paul C

Pentax K1water.jpg

wellfleet

One of Hasselblad's early press releases stated that the X1D was "dust and weather proof."

Hasselblad announces groundbreaking X1D
The world’s first compact mirrorless digital medium format camera
Hasselblad is proud to introduce the groundbreaking X1D – weighing less than half that of a conventional digital medium format camera, the mirrorless 50MP camera is a game changer in the world of photography.

Inspired by the brand’s iconic design heritage, the camera is ergonomic and compact, offering a handling experience unlike any other. Handmade in Sweden, the X1D combines Scandinavian sensibility with beautiful performance.

Like the iconic V System, the X1D seamlessly combines portability with excellent optical quality for which the brand is renowned. Hasselblad has ingeniously introduced mirrorless technology to digital medium format for the first time ever, creating a precision performance camera that can sit in the palm of your hand. The 50MP CMOS sensor captures the finest details with true natural colours.

Commenting on the announcement Perry Oosting, Hasselblad CEO noted: “The X1D marks a pivotal point in Hasselblad’s rich 75-year history. This camera makes medium format photography available to a new generation of Hasselblad users, while pushing the existing limits of photography to new heights.”

A completely new family of dedicated autofocus lenses has been developed to support optical quality and portability, offering a wide range of shutter speeds and full flash synchronisation up to 1/2000th second.

Weighing just 725g and including HD video, Wi-Fi and built-in GPS, the X1D is a trusted partner and ideal travel companion. The robust exterior is dust and weather proof, providing durability to take with you wherever you go.

The X1D has been created with passionate photographers in mind, opening up Hasselblad to a new generation of creatives. Ideal for those who want to create the highest quality medium format images with a straightforward and easy to use camera that can fit in the palm of your hand.

The Hasselblad X1D is priced at 7,900 EUR / 8,995 USD / 5,990 GBP
Prices stated are exclusive of VAT

https://www.dpreview.com/news/1988725790/medium-format-mirrorless-hasselblad-unveils-x1d

tcdeveau

If weather sealing is your thing or concern, Pentax seems tried and true and pretty tough to beat in this regard. Some of you probably have seen it already, but this video with the 645z makes me cringe (speaks pretty highly of Pentax's weather proofing though):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSpgAOShnZY&feature=youtu.be

There are plenty of weather-proofing reports of the X1D as others have mentioned. I had trouble opening the memory card and port doors on the camera so assumed there had to be some seals in there. Mounting/dismounting the lens was also met with some resistance like what Ming Thein said, suggesting additional weather sealing.

Satrycon

https://youtu.be/Eo61t5fH6Qw

If weather sealing is your thing or concern, Pentax seems tried and true and pretty tough to beat in this regard. Some of you probably have seen it already, but this video with the 645z makes me cringe (speaks pretty highly of Pentax's weather proofing though):

There are plenty of weather-proofing reports of the X1D as others have mentioned. I had trouble opening the memory card and port doors on the camera so assumed there had to be some seals in there. Mounting/dismounting the lens was also met with some resistance like what Ming Thein said, suggesting additional weather sealing.

algrove

It is very clear if you remove a lens there should be a substantial o-ring on the lens. Can someone confirm this?

tcdeveau

It is very clear if you remove a lens there should be a substantial o-ring on the lens. Can someone confirm this?
IMG_1534.JPG

I was honestly too excited to play with the camera at the preview event to pay that close attention, and it was pretty hectic with all the other photographers waiting around to try it out. There's a pic of the back of an xcd lens from dpreview. It does look like there is an outer o-ring as it protudes towards the screen from the screw mount as you can see in the top right but maybe I'm wrong.

SrMphoto

Thanks for the quick answer Erik. So you were able to actually see a shutter speed longer than 30s? This is a feature I would use all the time.
I assume X1D works similar to H5Ds: there is no 30 second limit as with Sony et al. Auto or manual exposure may select any time up to 60 minutes.

I hope X1D implements the same EVF/LCD interaction as Leica SL (the best approach IMO): EVF on always, LCD active for menu and image review only.